Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

But surprisingly cheap for audio production gear :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

All it takes is for someone to slap a "Broadcast" sticker on it, and the price quadruples.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

NonzeroCircle posted:

Thunderbolt is kinda popular with audio production gear, generally more expensive high-end stuff though.

Wouldn't say 'popular' so much as 'present.'

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm a DJ and producer for an overseas FM radio station and there's nary a thunderbolt port/cable to be seen. It's USB / XLR / 1/4" all the way dowwwnwwn. Pretty new gear, too. (~3-5 years old)

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I'm not sure if any audio stuff could use up Thunderbolt's bandwidth, but it's pretty nice if you want to have for example a fast desktop RAID without having to buy/install some insanely expensive fiber optic stuff.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You'd just have to buy some insanely expensive Thunderbolt stuff instead. :v:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's technically an expensive, proprietary dock/adapter and not an expensive, proprietary cable.

And it's not like Apple has ever been generous with ports. One port on the whole computer sounds about right.

Ports are obsolete.

Man screw you ports aren't obsolete until laptops ship with a built-in high-quality HOTAS for flight sims.

Except flight sims belong in this thread. :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I miss proper hardware DE-9 RS232 ports.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

That and proper bidirectional parallel ports.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

KozmoNaut posted:

Never trust a connector you can't screw down

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fo3 posted:

Has firewire failed and become obsolete yet?
I heard it was going to be ever since USB2 came out. Every PC and laptop I own has had a firewire port yet I've never ever used it. E: and these were all non apple PCs which is the suprising thing.

Yeah, failed and fading. Jobs called it dead in 2008 in favor of USB2 and in 2013 the 1394 people basically gave up on it. The most use I ever got out of FW was using target disk mode on Macs.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've had people tell me I needed a firewire audio interface for my home recording studio because it (the cable, not the hardware) sounds "so much purer than USB". Preferably hooked up to a mac, of course. :eng99: It wouldn't surprise me if audiophiles kept FW alive, they're dumb as bricks.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Your Computer posted:

I've had people tell me I needed a firewire audio interface for my home recording studio because it (the cable, not the hardware) sounds "so much purer than USB". Preferably hooked up to a mac, of course. :eng99: It wouldn't surprise me if audiophiles kept FW alive, they're dumb as bricks.

FireWire is full-duplex and not packet-based, so there is some advantage over USB when trying to keep lots of sources in sync.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Your Computer posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if audiophiles kept FW Macs alive, they're dumb as bricks.

Fixed.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Your Computer posted:

A lot people in the video world used to use it back in the days of DV (something else that can go in this thread). When I was at film school, everybody had a Firewire hard drive to keep their projects on. The fact that it used a hardware controller made it less likely to drop frames during capture with the hardware of the time.

Of course, everything's tapeless now so it's no longer a problem if you have I/O hiccups when dumping an SD card to disk.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone ever actually daisy-chained USB devices? I remember that was supposed to be one of its big advantages, but I guess it was just easier to build more USB ports than chain a bunch of devices off of one. Firewire daisy-chained like a champ.

As obsolete as Firewire is, I still have a few dozen decade-old DV tapes of home movies I need to eventually edit and when I do it'll be through a 1394 port.

On to more possibly obsolete or at least under utilized port-chat, the just announced Surface 4 will access a discrete GPU in it's keyboard base via ThunderBolt.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Has anyone ever actually daisy-chained USB devices? I remember that was supposed to be one of its big advantages, but I guess it was just easier to build more USB ports than chain a bunch of devices off of one. Firewire daisy-chained like a champ.

As obsolete as Firewire is, I still have a few dozen decade-old DV tapes of home movies I need to eventually edit and when I do it'll be through a 1394 port.

On to more possibly obsolete or at least under utilized port-chat, the just announced Surface 4 will access a discrete GPU in it's keyboard base via ThunderBolt.

The keyboard on my Mac Pro at work has some USB ports on it that are great for thumb-drives and charging my phone, but nothing really beyond that.

Also, didn't the PS2 originally use Firewire for LAN play for some reason?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Somewhere there's a musician who uses an Atari ST to make music for the German market.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Instant Sunrise posted:

The keyboard on my Mac Pro at work has some USB ports on it that are great for thumb-drives and charging my phone, but nothing really beyond that.

Also, didn't the PS2 originally use Firewire for LAN play for some reason?

The first couple of PS2 models did have Firewire ports on them, but only a couple of games ever supported it for linking system. I think one of the GT games supported it.

They dropped it in later hardware revisions and eventually had an Ethernet adapter add on.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Krispy Kareem posted:

I had to google this a bunch before I discovered it's actually the Surface Book laptop that was announced alongside the SP4 that has the keyboard GPU. I wish I needed a real laptop, because I like the look of the SB.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Instant Sunrise posted:

A lot people in the video world used to use it back in the days of DV (something else that can go in this thread). When I was at film school, everybody had a Firewire hard drive to keep their projects on. The fact that it used a hardware controller made it less likely to drop frames during capture with the hardware of the time.

Of course, everything's tapeless now so it's no longer a problem if you have I/O hiccups when dumping an SD card to disk.

We used the poo poo out of DV tapes back at university (05 - 07) and I do not miss the transfer process one bit. Firewire made it somewhat smoother but I sometimes had to use USB when at home and needed the footage right there and then and that was a horrid proccess.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

A co-worker and I were talking about old Apple computers today, and I was reminded of ads I used to see in computer magazines for Apple //e hard drives. Specifically, one that replaced the power supply with a PSU/hard drive. I think they had 10 or 20 MB capacity. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Funzo posted:

A co-worker and I were talking about old Apple computers today, and I was reminded of ads I used to see in computer magazines for Apple //e hard drives. Specifically, one that replaced the power supply with a PSU/hard drive. I think they had 10 or 20 MB capacity. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Quick search pointed me to the Vulcan Gold or Pegasus 100i, looks like what you're talking about (based on the description anyhow):

apple2history posted:

Several internal hard drives were marketed for the Apple IIGS in the 1990s. Applied Engineering sold the Vulcan Gold, which was not only a hard drive but also a replacement power supply for the IIGS. It was sold in 20, 40, 100 (which cost $1795), and 200 MB sizes, and attached to a proprietary 16-bit AT style controller card to plug into the motherboard. It worked with GS/OS, ProDOS 8, DOS 3.3, CP/M, and Pascal, and would allow up to sixteen partitions on a disk (though only four could be available at one time).

Also sold with a replacement power supply for the IIGS was the Pegasus 100i, sold by Econ Technologies. This was a SCSI drive, and was more affordable at $599. It offered a nice feature allowing the user to set a jumper wire that would delay startup of the IIGS until the drive was ready.

http://apple2history.org/history/ah09/
https://archive.org/details/1992-04-appliedengineering-vulcangold

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Somewhere there's a musician who uses an Atari ST to make music for the German market.

Why not, they're still using Amigas too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e0wg_618ac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztqsLT79M58

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Like someone mentioned, Mac wired keyboards have USB ports. But then there's also USB hubs-- which I'm sure are not obsolete.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I guess they can't make good music.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Last Chance posted:

Like someone mentioned, Mac wired keyboards have USB ports. But then there's also USB hubs-- which I'm sure are not obsolete.

I have a Das Keyboard that has two USB 3.0 ports on the top, which I waste on a wireless mouse receiver. For what it's worth - the Das Keyboard's volume/mute, media and sleep buttons work on OS X perfectly as well as Windows.

My Dell monitor has two USB ports and an SD card reader in the left side. There are two more USB ports on the back. I hardly ever use the USB ports, but I use the SD all the time.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Last Chance posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Block-Erupter-Port-USB-Hub/dp/B00GCQQE42

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

When USB first came out I pictured daisy-chaining up to 127 devices as literally connecting half a dozen devices in a line, input to output to input. Obviously hubs are a whole lot more practical, but my FireWire drives do have two ports for that purpose. Probably because no one has enough FireWire devices to need a hub.

I was just trying to figure out if anyone had daisy-chained USB devices, but I forgot a hub or keyboard USB ports are a daisy chain.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Here's some real obsolete daisy chaining:

Although we still have a few of these kicking around at work (mostly on older OScopes data acq. devices crap like that) because no one has rewritten the mid 90s windows NT software to use the ethernet libraries for the newer devices. One has like 5-6 connectors on it and has a stack of washers taped to the bottom as strain relief.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

When USB first came out I pictured daisy-chaining up to 127 devices as literally connecting half a dozen devices in a line, input to output to input. Obviously hubs are a whole lot more practical, but my FireWire drives do have two ports for that purpose. Probably because no one has enough FireWire devices to need a hub.

I was just trying to figure out if anyone had daisy-chained USB devices, but I forgot a hub or keyboard USB ports are a daisy chain.

Back in like 2001 I had a Maxtor USB hard drive that had a normal USB port on the back to plug another thing into, I used that a lot.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The thing with USB daisy chaining was always a bandwidth problem. A keyboard was fine. A mouse was fine. Either one could hang low enough to not be a problem. Two hard drives was and still would be a serious fight with one controller and DMA.

Firewire had hardware all over the place which was always going to simplify things at the other end, but also cost more. Enough to put it in a separate "pro-sumer" price range that was never the commodity licensing scheme that the 90s economic model required.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SLOSifl posted:

The thing with USB daisy chaining was always a bandwidth problem. A keyboard was fine. A mouse was fine. Either one could hang low enough to not be a problem. Two hard drives was and still would be a serious fight with one controller and DMA.

Important to note here is how incredibly slow pre-2.0 USB was. On paper USB 1.1 delivered a theoretical maximum bandwidth of 12 megabits/second, and the original standard (which practically nothing was ever released on) only delivered 1.5 megabits/second.

Why they ever included the ability to chain 127 devices onto a single port with that little throughput is beyond me. Definitely a case of putting the cart before the horse.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Ozz81 posted:

Quick search pointed me to the Vulcan Gold or Pegasus 100i, looks like what you're talking about (based on the description anyhow):

http://apple2history.org/history/ah09/
https://archive.org/details/1992-04-appliedengineering-vulcangold

Yes, I think that Vulcan on e is the one I'm thinking of. I could have sworn it was out for the //e as well, but I'm probably mis-remembering.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Instant Sunrise posted:

FW was used for DV stuff because it's a constant signal.
USB couldn't be used for DV as it transferred files in segments - not a stream - which likely would have caused the signal to drop.

There were two flavors I tended to use, either MiniDV ( 4:3 or 16:9 animorphic) or HDV (1440x1080i). I'm sure others can talk about the bigger DV tapes you'd used in broadcast or news.

But I came in just on the cusp of the move to SD card based recording which moved everything to USB, namely when USB 3 kicked in.
The main advantage of tape was that you still had a physical copy that wasn't simply copied off and wiped as SD cards tend to be these days.

DV tape needs a deck (or camcorder) to convert it's signal into the appropriate video format, which is done in real time - so lots of sitting around waiting for tapes to capture.
Because tape capturing took forever, especially when the hour long tapes came in, you would generally watch the tape beforehand (usually in fast forward) and go through camera logs to tick off what chunks of timecode you wanted to capture to edit down. You'd then feed that data into the capture deck and it would selectively whiirrr (or grind) through the tape.

A full hour would be something like 13GB. But garbage in, garbage out was the rule - so if you forgot to turn off FCP's NTSC settings (Australia here) - you'd have to go back and redo the capture as it's baked in signal conversion.

Even if you were organized, you often had to babysit the deck as occasionally something would hiccup on the tape and send the deck to a halt as there be a dropped frame, meaning you had to re-run that bit and hope it was just a glitch and not your read head dying.

Or if you were just a tape operator capturing stuff for editors, at the very worst you'd be given a sheet of paper with a bunch of scrawled notes that gradually got worse and you'd have to decipher this into the machine.
Or someone would be kind enough to create a file in excel that would import into Final Cut. But I don't miss the days of combing through someone's log fixing malformed time-codes because Excel ate a few zeroes here and there or someone got tired and typed something in wrong and FCP refused to load it.

Oh and creating EDLs to capture back out to tape often was a similar chore with it's own quirks that needed to be fixed by hand.

Apple shifting over to FW800 was a fun time as new cables had to be brought to convert for older equipment to account for the shift from 400 to 800.

But today no modern mac carries this (It's all thunderbolt) so I commonly get called up because someone has brought in a Lacie with FW400/800 an only USB 2.0 as a third option, and I'm the only one who has a FW card because someone's lost the thunderbolt to FW adapter.

BogDew has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Oct 7, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

WebDog posted:

The main advantage of tape was that you still had a physical copy that wasn't simply copied off and wiped as SD cards tend to be these days.

This is a weird thing to say, but one of the reasons I hate the move to SD is that the cards are so goddamn versatile. Leave one in a machine while a transfer is running and get up to take a piss? That thing is gone, formatted, and already in someone's tablet, audio player, laptop, etc. I don't think I've ever had a problem with someone stealing my tapes while working video production, but SD cards go missing all the goddamn time.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Plinkey posted:

Here's some real obsolete daisy chaining:

Oh, how I wish that were true... Just today a colleague came to me with a shiny new USB-based GPIB analyzer. Didn't have time to test it yet.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
One of those home design shows on TLC had the hosts showing before/after footage to homeowners on a miniDV tape player with it's own LCD display. That's the only time I've ever seen one and I wanted that thing so badly. I had to buy a cheap DV camcorder long after I stopped using tape because I didn't have a medium to transfer old material.

Just checked, the used miniDV players still go for $300 on eBay. :sigh:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

One of those home design shows on TLC had the hosts showing before/after footage to homeowners on a miniDV tape player with it's own LCD display. That's the only time I've ever seen one and I wanted that thing so badly. I had to buy a cheap DV camcorder long after I stopped using tape because I didn't have a medium to transfer old material.

Just checked, the used miniDV players still go for $300 on eBay. :sigh:

I've got projects sitting around on DVCAM, and even a couple of things on Beta SP :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Mister Kingdom posted:

I guess they can't make good music.

Speak for yourself. That second video (the D&B track) is impressive as hell, given how complicated it still is to program things that well using modern hardware and software. Seeing that coming from an Amiga and a rack full of odl samplers is insane.