Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
The MGSV interlude was inspired :allears:

I was half expecting "Guest Starring: The SKULLS" to show up, especially when they were mentioning that the team was Archer's hand-picked special squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

This is like a carnival game

We got target shooting....

And skeet shooting.

I think I really like Syphon Filter 2.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"I'm getting good at it." - One of those lines that shows that 989 Studios knew exactly what they were doing.

Syphon Filter 2 is easily the peak of the PS1 games. 1 was where they were learning, and while 3 is good it's a bit more... scattered I guess might be a good word.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Worth noting btw, if you played the SF2 demo of that train section as a kid and that was literally all you knew about this series before now, it still pretty much told you everything important about the first game and up to where you were. Syphon Filter's a virus, Lian's infected, and the Agency would turn on you. Boom, first game is now totally irrelevant.

....And yes, I am not afraid to admit I literally haven't played that demo in fifteen years but the moment I walked into this thread I remembered everything from it. Including the NVG effect mode.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Friar John posted:

The MGSV interlude was inspired :allears:

I was half expecting "Guest Starring: The SKULLS" to show up, especially when they were mentioning that the team was Archer's hand-picked special squad.

I was really just sad that I couldn't do a better Pequod, especially on short notice.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That was a really goddamn great way to get the game going.

Also, what was all the music stuff you added in?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The blood sacrifices to the taser was a thing of beauty. :allears:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I always liked how much more Lian does in the second and third games, and Gabe's occasional sense of humor. "I don't know. I'm making this up as I go." Teresa's also pretty cool.

In retrospect, Syphon Filter 2 feels a little like a proto-Uncharted 2, with the train sequence and, IIRC, the final boss trying to play the moral equivalence game.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
"You're mistaking me for some eurotrash terrorist" is probably my favorite line in this entire LP so far.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Wanderer posted:

"I don't know. I'm making this up as I go."

taking the time to get on the radio and quip about not needing that airstrip after all was also excellent. Gabe's trying to do like ten things under threat of imminent death and he's like "nahh hang on I've got a line for this"

also the Raptor doesn't carry external ordnance and therefore
:goonsay:

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 7, 2015

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
At least I know now what horrible things happen every time you shoot a plane down in Ace Combat!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Lunethex posted:

At least I know now what horrible things happen every time you shoot a plane down in Ace Combat!

Assault Horizon has a thing where you will routinely see the pilot flying out of the wreckage of the plane you just shot down, because nobody knows what restraints are in the world of AC

so yeah you basically send like a hundred pilots plummeting to their doom - no chutes, no chance. If you could equip your plane with a long-range taser you really would be Colonel Gabriel Logan, USAF

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 7, 2015

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The ending to 2 is the best for 90's action movie endings. I thought it was 3 that had it but I see now I was very wrong, more's the shame. 3 is still fun though!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I thought it was earlier in the series than this, but all the MGS jokes in the LP may get a little funnier after SF3 when Kim Mai Guest takes over as Lian's voice actress. She played Mei Ling, and has probably been in about a dozen other games you like.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

:lol:

I think I might need to change this to a "Let's break" LP because of something that happens in the next episode. There's a part where Gabe chases a dude and is firing at him for scenic effect. If you equip certain weapons he won't shoot...like grenades.

So I hacked in a weapon you're not supposed to get for that part and gave myself ammo for it.

The result was absolutely amazing :getin:

It was actually an idea I had for Disc 1's bonus video, where I'm going to hack in all the weapons and try to gently caress with the game's scripting, see what I can do. This is gonna be sick :haw:

e. Also should ask (since it was a big project edit wise) everyone is happy with the last two episodes, right?

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 8, 2015

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Lunethex posted:

:lol:

I think I might need to change this to a "Let's break" LP because of something that happens in the next episode. There's a part where Gabe chases a dude and is firing at him for scenic effect. If you equip certain weapons he won't shoot...like grenades.

So I hacked in a weapon you're not supposed to get for that part and gave myself ammo for it.

The result was absolutely amazing :getin:

It was actually an idea I had for Disc 1's bonus video, where I'm going to hack in all the weapons and try to gently caress with the game's scripting, see what I can do. This is gonna be sick :haw:

Beautiful.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Lunethex posted:

e. Also should ask (since it was a big project edit wise) everyone is happy with the last two episodes, right?
Right.

This LP is bringing back some fond memories. There were big parts of 1 that I didn't remember but that final boss fight brought it allllll flooding back. 2 though? 2 is a more familiar stroll down memory lane. That bridge! I am pretty sure I shimmied all the way across because baby me sucked at stealth mechanics and had more free time than I would care to admit.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Lunethex posted:

no, I'm not. I think you need to go back and start with the first mission in syphon filter 1 and bring that level of quality glitchiness and demonic Rhoemer to every video you've ever made.

ever.

:colbert:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Psion posted:

no, I'm not. I think you need to go back and start with the first mission in syphon filter 1 and bring that level of quality glitchiness and demonic Rhoemer to every video you've ever made.

ever.

:colbert:

Including ORC.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
I mean, it might be not an awful game if it had taser.

maybe. Probably not.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I maintain after watching it (and listening to Dragoon bitch about it for two straight hours over Skype one time) that it had a lot of neat ideas. They just happened to be in a terrible game, that's all.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Turns out ORC's successor is even worse :v:

Oh holy poo poo, I was getting the link for that first sentence and I just now noticed that video got disliked to oblivion. Which is warranted given how it looks and plays.

Resident Evil 7 better have a taser.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Lunethex posted:

Turns out ORC's successor is even worse :v:

Oh holy poo poo, I was getting the link for that first sentence and I just now noticed that video got disliked to oblivion. Which is warranted given how it looks and plays.

Resident Evil 7 better have a taser.

Some kind of ranged version of Sherry's Stun Rod as preorder DLC please. It's probably the best we're gonna get.

I like the part at 4:03 where a grenade lands right at the dudes feet and you can tell he's just fighting the controls to get off the cover and away from it but it still gets him anyway :v: i still might play this if it ends up being a 20-30 dollar downloadable title like Revelations 2 was.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I only skipped around in that video, but did they at any point actually shoot any zombies? I think I might've seen him hit one, but it was just in the way of shooting another player.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

No no, you see, the point is to kill other players. The zombies are merely incidental!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's the same kind of idea that they had for the multiplayer modes in 5 and 6 and especially ORC right? PVP with some enemies thrown in for good measure? Especially the first Operation Raccoon City but i never did play that one past the first level. The gimmick in this one being that zombies ignore you until you get shot in the back i guess.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

:stare:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Looks Russian.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

RealSovietBear posted:

"You're mistaking me for some eurotrash terrorist" is probably my favorite line in this entire LP so far.
:master:

I did not know about the taser being in the first loving level, that or I completely missed knowing about it, cuz I had a guide for this game to get all the secrets.

Holy gently caress my love for the taser has been returned to me, praise the Air Taser. :allears: all this sadistic violence is so pleasing to me, the screams are wonderful in this game especially, they KNEW you wanted to do it so badly. Also that whole Colorado latter section is pretty wild, I loving love the train section so much, it has such good music and is a really neat change of level design to be linear but also exciting. Lian is also...incredibly much more awesome in this game than the previous one for being able to actually play as her and get pretty badass in her own right.

I also love the fact the game finally can headshot you instead, it kind of amazes me that this is one of the few videogames I can recall where the main characters are actually just as vulnerable as the enemies and now it's even MORE true for the second game.
The burning wreckage however is like the first big roadblock of the game in my experience, just for how many killers are on the scene as well as that DEVIOUS SHOT you have to make on Archer. God so many times I had to reset the checkpoint to get that right.

So wait...um, that was PERFECT loving shot I have to applaud you right there but...the game COUNTED that "alternate" shot you did cuz I swore I heard Gabe go "Got it!" after the uh...Archer "fell" technically.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 12, 2015

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I did some things. Also I've got a bonus video (that I keep forgetting about for some reason :v:) that we'll comment on at some point. Nothing too fantastic in Disc 1 actually.

Update 07 - A Losing Hand

Syphon Filter Episode 9 - Return to the Expo Center|(40:40)
Gabe, Teresa, and Lian head back to the Expo Center to retrieve Phagan's encryption disc, and stop the Agency from eliminating all traces to their removal of Pharcom's CEO. The final struggle between the Taser and M-79 results in a victory for the unholy lord and master of cruelty and lightning and the reason for Gabe & Morgan's mutual animosity is revealed!

This one almost killed me, but at the same time brought me back to RE6. Man that was almost 3 years ago now, I don't even remember what was happening during the editing of that game. Also this video is technically 34 minutes, but our outro rambled on for a good while, so let that be the mystery you will uncover in this update :D

LASTLY: Please do not read this spoiler until you've seen the :magical: I was considering putting a Sara head in there but that's exclusively an SA in-joke for us. Please imagine her being there instead and enjoy it all the more :v:

~Dossiers

~Equipment Database

Alternate update header

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 13, 2015

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at the cover for the game, and I notice that Gabe has a very Golgo-13-esque expression on his face there. Is it just me?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
When I first saw Gabe's ninja outfit, I started laughing so hard, I was sure I was going to get him caught.

And then I found out you can't really sneak past those guys at the beginning.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm looking at the cover for the game, and I notice that Gabe has a very Golgo-13-esque expression on his face there. Is it just me?

He's kinda sneering a little bit, and that's not Golgo 13. Golgo just doesn't give a gently caress.

But aside from that tiny sneer, yeah, pretty close. also, Gabe's a lefty?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Well, the sniper is lefty-style, so he has to hold it southpaw so that he doesn't burn his face with the spent casings.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
When I suggested going back to see what changes between the two games, I was specifically talking about the sudden ventilation system the Expo Center seemed to have developed.

And that part at the Stonehenge exhibit, the goons who rush you say that they've finished off the GIs in the previous room. But if you go back, they're completely fine. Especially if you ignore the two who are walking around. You only need to take out the guy guarding the door. But then again, we've seen time and again how competent the Agency is.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Psion posted:

He's kinda sneering a little bit, and that's not Golgo 13. Golgo just doesn't give a gently caress.

But aside from that tiny sneer, yeah, pretty close. also, Gabe's a lefty?

I also feel like his eyebrows aren't glorious enough to be Golgo

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Lunethex posted:

you've seen the :magical:
That was amazing, by the way. :allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I imagine whoever inserted that joke was one of those people that was waaaaaay too into Lara Croft back when Tomb Raider was new (see the top left cover feature).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

also lune is going to end up needing therapy for this LP after the inevitable "I need to keep topping myself" video editing burnout turns into substance abuse which will turn into multiple substance abuses which turns into life-threatening addictions, also living out of a cardboard box. so y'know, maybe try not to kill yourself for our enjoyment. Just tase yourself for our enjoyment instead :getin:

(but seriously ahahaha what the gently caress that ending)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I know the :magical: part was indeed :magical:, but I honestly gotta say, my favorite part about Lune videos is his music choices. Detective Conan and PSO in the same video? It's like that time he threw Burning Rangers into RE6. I love all of it.

• Locked thread