Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I gave my Sansaire to a friend, what's the current thread favorite unit? I wish I had the Mellow, but who knows when those will ship.

Also, what's the preferred fuel for a Searzall? I got lost in some of the MAPP discussions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Subjunctive posted:

I gave my Sansaire to a friend, what's the current thread favorite unit? I wish I had the Mellow, but who knows when those will ship.

Also, what's the preferred fuel for a Searzall? I got lost in some of the MAPP discussions.

I think I, the thread, and Kenji (pbuh) all agree the Anova is the puddlestick of choice right now.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Definitely the anova, and use propane in the 16.4 oz camping cylinders. Here's the faq: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xk8nmbk7v2ud1se/FAQ%20Searzall.pdf?dl=0

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CrazySalamander posted:

Definitely the anova, and use propane in the 16.4 oz camping cylinders. Here's the faq: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xk8nmbk7v2ud1se/FAQ%20Searzall.pdf?dl=0

The big thing I found with the Searzall is to use the ts8000 head and not the ts4000. It's just plain doesn't work well with the 4000 torch head.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thank you, I am enlightened!

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I am having second thoughts about Anovas at the moment. I have ordered 4 for myself and family. After my ribs that were ruined last night by my machine resetting I have had issues with 3 out of the 4. I know Anova will replace/repair the latest failure, but I don't have much trust in the company after this. What other brand would people look at instead?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That high of a failure rate points to user error.

Regardless, I believe nomiku is better built than sansair which are the other two major affordable players.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Wookums posted:

That high of a failure rate points to user error.

Regardless, I believe nomiku is better built than sansair which are the other two major affordable players.

Nah, this is from different users. My first Anova (Anova One) has an issue with the impeller rubbing, I got one for my parents (Anova One) that would shut itself off after a random period of time. Then I ordered a 2 pack of the newer Anovas (before the problems with the first units presented themselves with the first 2). One of those has started the issue where it randomly shuts itself off.

What user error could cause the units to reset themselves? The impeller I could see bumping it or something but the rest is all internal to the unit.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
If you let the intake get blocked it gets mad and stops. Also power blips will stop it too, a big consideration if you live somewhere with poor quality power.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

When I was first using my Anova One, I had a terrible time keeping it running, I believe even though the water was within the "between here" lines, with the circulation and the vessel I was using, it believed the water was too low. Haven't had any issues since I have been overfilling and using a cambro or a stockpot.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
The power is pretty steady here, none of the other stuff that starts flashing when the power blips was flashing. I also am pretty good about enough water and not too much stuff. Last night it was in a stock pot and had a single (quart) bag with half a rack of ribs in it.

It's possible that it is just a statistical anomaly and I got a couple bad ones even if their quality is overall good.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is a pattern. Considering I've never had a single problem with mine I'm inclined to agree that it's an operator malfunction, but whether or not that's the case it might still be helpful to switch to a different kind of circulator. If nothing else, then a failure from a different brand would pretty much guarantee that you're doing something wrong. :v:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
It does sound like a couple of them were the original Anovas unless I misunderstood, and I heard there were a few more problems with those than the current model. Oh! one failure mode I've heard of is excess condensation inside the unit. This can happen if you're trying to seal the top of the heating vessel but have it leak steam up the sides of the cylinder.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

CrazySalamander posted:

It does sound like a couple of them were the original Anovas unless I misunderstood, and I heard there were a few more problems with those than the current model. Oh! one failure mode I've heard of is excess condensation inside the unit. This can happen if you're trying to seal the top of the heating vessel but have it leak steam up the sides of the cylinder.

How would you prevent this from happening? Even a cabrio with a cut out lid is going to have some room for steam to go up the cylinder.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Of the two Anova I have, one started randomly tripping the GFCI switch after 8 months. They sent me a new one very quickly though (once I escalated the issue past the lower-level support guy that had no idea what GFCI is).

I just wish the newer model had a damned on/off switch. I hate having to dig behind the cambros to plug/unplug all the time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You could get one of these

http://www.amazon.com/52149-Handy-Switch-Grounded-White/dp/B002DNGAZ6/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1444203727&sr=8-15&keywords=power+switch

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I should have realized such a thing would exist. Still have to reach behind the cambros but at least I won't have to move them around. Thanks!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

dalstrs posted:

How would you prevent this from happening? Even a cabrio with a cut out lid is going to have some room for steam to go up the cylinder.

I make a dishrag into a bandanna shape and tuck it around the gap. My first anova died pretty promptly after a long hot cook (see my previous posts here I think) and I'm pretty sure it's because the upper part of the unit spent that long saturated in steam and moisture got in.

Choadmaster posted:

I just wish the newer model had a damned on/off switch. I hate having to dig behind the cambros to plug/unplug all the time.

That's taking minimalism/corner cutting to the absurd.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My Anova seems to pull a lot of power (even to maintain temp). It's on the same circuit as my kitchen lights, and they dim and brighten in pulses with the Anova whenever it's on. Pretty sure that shouldn't be happening? The kitchen wiring is old, but that's never happened with any combination of appliances before. It's in a GFCI outlet if that makes a difference, but it's never tripped that or flipped a breaker. Anyone else notice power fluctuations like that?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
If it's dimming your kitchen lights you probably have a major appliance on that curcuit, like your fridge or something that is nearly tripping it as is?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Anne Whateley posted:

My Anova seems to pull a lot of power (even to maintain temp). It's on the same circuit as my kitchen lights, and they dim and brighten in pulses with the Anova whenever it's on. Pretty sure that shouldn't be happening? The kitchen wiring is old, but that's never happened with any combination of appliances before. It's in a GFCI outlet if that makes a difference, but it's never tripped that or flipped a breaker. Anyone else notice power fluctuations like that?

Are they in the same circuit or the same phase? If they are in the same circuit you might want to make sure it's on a 20 amp breaker instead of 15. Are the lights CFLs? Those tend to be sensitive to voltage fluctuations.

Have you tested the GFCI outlet?

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 7, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sorry I think I tricked you into thinking I knew electrical things. I do not! I guess I probably mean they're all on the same breaker?

The GFCI buttons work, but I haven't actually tested it with water. The lights include both LEDs and incandescents. Neither ever flicker or dim otherwise.

Things that work fine on the same breaker: fridge, kitchen lights, hall lights, bathroom lights, kitchen outlets including microwave and grow lights and sometimes a hand mixer or something, bathroom outlet including electric toothbrush. All of those are fine all at once, without the Anova. The Anova causes the pulsing even if everything is off except the fridge. (Haven't tried unplugging the fridge.)

I rent, and I have no idea what the breaker amp is, but I'll find out tonight. It makes sense to upgrade even though it's never tripped?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

I rent, and I have no idea what the breaker amp is, but I'll find out tonight. It makes sense to upgrade even though it's never tripped?

No, you can't just upgrade breakers silly nilly, if the cabling is not appropriate for 20 amp you run the risk of fire. If it's just the lights bothering you try to find a circuit that doesn't have that effect (ie it's on a different phase).

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

the yeti posted:

I make a dishrag into a bandanna shape and tuck it around the gap. My first anova died pretty promptly after a long hot cook (see my previous posts here I think) and I'm pretty sure it's because the upper part of the unit spent that long saturated in steam and moisture got in.

That's taking minimalism/corner cutting to the absurd.

Hardly. I use my anova almost daily so I keep it plugged in all the time behind my fridge.

I love how mine has a physical switch to power it off when not in use. If I had the new model I would have to plug it in on the counter which looks ugly

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

dutchbstrd posted:

Hardly. I use my anova almost daily so I keep it plugged in all the time behind my fridge.

I think he was agreeing. No switch = minimalism.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I wish I could just long-press the start button to completely turn it off. Or something. Anyway, gently caress unplugging.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Good news and bad news...

Good news.... 135.5 for 5.5 hours is the perfect temp/time for pork tenderloin

Easily the best sous vide I have ever made. *perfect* texture, just the right amount of bite 100% of the way through.... Most uniformly moist pork I've ever had... (And I made it)

Bad news....................I brined it.... for 24 hours... So it tastes like PURE F'ING SALT

I don't know what the hell I was thinking. Learning experience, at least.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Can you try to soak it in a couple of changes of water?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Choadmaster posted:

I think he was agreeing. No switch = minimalism.

Yeah that's what I was getting at :shobon:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I've done sous vide a few times before using a DIY PID unit a friend built but I've decided to get a setup of my own and I've decided that stick+cambro looks less stupid than arduino+crockpot. Everyone seems pretty fond of the Anova on this page, so is there any reason I wouldn't want to get the Anova Wifi? It's only $150 with the pre-order promo code, which isn't much of a pre-order since it ships this month. I understand that as cook-stick gimmicks go wifi is a stupid one, but I'm not missing out on something important by getting the stupid gimmick stick am I?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I found a use for the Bluetooth on my hack edition... Making up for a broken thumbwheel. :v:

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

CrazySalamander posted:

Can you try to soak it in a couple of changes of water?

I do have a second loin which got brined but I did not crust... Would love to try and save it rather than just dumping it in the bin.

You think just letting it sit in clean water might get some of the saltiness out?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Doubt it.

Why 5.5 hours? Pretty sure pork tenderloin is great with @ 1-2hours.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

drukqs posted:

I do have a second loin which got brined but I did not crust... Would love to try and save it rather than just dumping it in the bin.

You think just letting it sit in clean water might get some of the saltiness out?

I think so- the salt is obviously able to travel through the meat, and there's no reason it has to be a one way trip. You would need at least a couple changes of water though, I think, or a trickle from a sink.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

Why 5.5 hours? Pretty sure pork tenderloin is great with @ 1-2hours.

I have done at least a dozen tenderloins that way, higher temp for shorter period of time... 135.5 for 5.5 hours is wayyyy better.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Soak it in cols water for 2ish hours. In the future, make sure your brine is only 5% salt by weight.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
So despite the fact that the site is slathered in advertisements for this coupon code for the Anova Wifi preorder coupon, the code doesn't work. I've contacted support but I'm not expecting much because its's a "preorder coupon" to preorder a device that ships in like a week.

Wish me luck?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I got an email yesterday warning that it was the last day for the coupon. You may be too late.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Choadmaster posted:

I got an email yesterday warning that it was the last day for the coupon. You may be too late.

They emailed me back that the website should have updated but it had not, and since it hadn't updated they'd honor the code for me if I ordered today.

So I ordered today. Hooray $150 Anova Wifi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What are people's recommendations for Cornish game hen? I've seen anything from 2 to 7 hours at 150-160. It's about 1.5 lbs, I think spatchcocked.