Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Why do Tiger players keep pointing straight at me while I walk shots into them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Cause two for flinching.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They think their invincible kruppensteel will stop all shots.

The Tiger's reputation (and peoples' memories of playing 4.7 games where they fought nothing but Tigers) gives the pubbies a vastly over-inflated idea of how tanky it is.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I think the best description I can give of most German pubbies is their willingness to just sit in groups and shoot at a hull down T32 until they are all dead. I cannot count the number of times I killed like 2-3 Tigers and/or King Tigers together because they just refuse to back away from such a terrible fight.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

New decals announced, I can see some excellent potential in some of these already.

http://warthunder.com/en/devblog/current/835

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Tier-3/4 Soviet ammo. Is there any real difference between the BR-365A and the BR-365K? It seems odd that they'd want me to go out of my way to research ammo that has only a couple more milimeters of penetration with a larger chance to ricochet.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ArchRanger posted:

Tier-3/4 Soviet ammo. Is there any real difference between the BR-365A and the BR-365K? It seems odd that they'd want me to go out of my way to research ammo that has only a couple more milimeters of penetration with a larger chance to ricochet.

The K has significantly less explosive filler.

Yeah, it's a trap. Yeah, I was shocked to hear this as well. Don't use it.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I love the M60 but I hate my primetime teammates. Notice how many Leopards couldn't stay alive for even 100 free points from enemy proximity.

Send help.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Alchenar posted:

The K has significantly less explosive filler.

Yeah, it's a trap. Yeah, I was shocked to hear this as well. Don't use it.

It used to have a lot more pen I believe.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hahaha this is great, the update introduced the exact same bug I had before, but it's no longer fixable by disabling the dev server, because I don't have it selected.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Night10194 posted:

They think their invincible kruppensteel will stop all shots.

The Tiger's reputation (and peoples' memories of playing 4.7 games where they fought nothing but Tigers) gives the pubbies a vastly over-inflated idea of how tanky it is.

German players get so used to driving tiny little tin cans with big guns, forcing them to hide and snipe, that they go nuts when they drive the Tiger. Seriously, outside of some of the SPGs the Germans might as well be driving around in a tuna can for the amount of armor they have before BR 5.7. They start at relative parity at low BRs and keep falling further and further behind the Russians and even the Americans.

Then they have the armored brick of the Tiger. And it IS an armored brick at BR 5.7 and so instead of continuing to play smart (or at least cowardly) and just trundle on forward, ignoring cover and enemy fire.

Seriously, that tank will lower most player's IQ by at least 10 points when they drive one. German players get so excited at having their own non-premium heavy tank they think they can bulldoze forward and give no fucks like the very first KV-1 can. I've had an enemy Tiger drive past my tracked Sherman not even 20 meters away from me. I was sitting out in the middle of open, obviously aiming and firing at his team mates, a completely free kill. Instead he just thought "Pathetik Amerikan." and drove past, oblivious until I killed him with a pair of 74mm shells to the back of his turret. :v:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I really can't get the hang of American tanks. German and Russian tanks, sure; I have decent KTDs in most vehicles and the ones I don't are either crap or I know don't suit me. Or are SPAA and thus are inevitably the last line of defence when 90% of my team's dead and have disproportionately poor KTDs.

Americans though? Outside of the Hellcat my play is appallingly bad in them. I can't really tell what I'm doing wrong with them. I kind of want to say that their issue is just being so goddamn huge, but the Panther, Tiger and Konigstiger are huge too and I do fine in those.

EDIT: Exception for 105 sherman, that thing is awesome.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 8, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The real problem is that the Shermans really face the same issue Pz IV's did until recently: they're at way too high BR. They start at about the right BR (and the 105mm is at the perfect BR) and then get accelerated up the BR tree way too fast as they get bigger guns and minimal additional armor, if any.

Also, you should try using their speed more aggressively. Even the slowest American tank has a fair bit of speed and handling. It's easy to figure out the M18 should be used like a race car, but it's not as easy to figure out when you're driving Shermans. Shermans are huge and have soft sides, but they also drive (reasonably) fast and climb hills very well.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Azran posted:

Hahaha this is great, the update introduced the exact same bug I had before, but it's no longer fixable by disabling the dev server, because I don't have it selected.

Delete and let the launcher re-download all 16 of the .vysorb or whatevers the forums tell you to. It worked for me.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mazz posted:

I think the best description I can give of most German pubbies is their willingness to just sit in groups and shoot at a hull down T32 until they are all dead. I cannot count the number of times I killed like 2-3 Tigers and/or King Tigers together because they just refuse to back away from such a terrible fight.

Even with the Leo's Heat round with 400mm of penetration, the front of a T-32 turret is still a less than 50% chance of successfully taking out the gunner. Why people with AP rounds even try is beyond me.

Alkydere posted:

German players get so used to driving tiny little tin cans with big guns, forcing them to hide and snipe, that they go nuts when they drive the Tiger. Seriously, outside of some of the SPGs the Germans might as well be driving around in a tuna can for the amount of armor they have before BR 5.7. They start at relative parity at low BRs and keep falling further and further behind the Russians and even the Americans.

Then they have the armored brick of the Tiger. And it IS an armored brick at BR 5.7 and so instead of continuing to play smart (or at least cowardly) and just trundle on forward, ignoring cover and enemy fire.

Playing those tin ammo boxes that were the Panzer III's and IV's was the best lesson in how to play tanks.

-Never go out in the open
-Never move ahead until you've reloaded
-Always take out the gunner first
-Never expose your turret above a berm for more than it takes to fire a round
-Have your gun pointing where you need it, before you need it there
-Never attack head-on unless you've already taken out their gun(ner)

When I transitioned to the Panthers and King Tiger (H) I played the exact same way that I did when I was in a Panzer III/IV and that has, and continues to really pay off. The only time I ever use a KT like a battering ram is when I'm playing AB, and that's because 99% of the pubbies in AB think my front-upper hull is some sort of "sweet spot".

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Well, yes, but that's because you're not an idiot.

Lots of pubbies go "Well I have armor now, that means I can do whatever the gently caress I want" because they couldn't figure out how to kill enemy Tigers.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Sard posted:

I love the M60 but I hate my primetime teammates. Notice how many Leopards couldn't stay alive for even 100 free points from enemy proximity.

Send help.

I tried again to play the M103 today but full 7.7 games where it's walls of T-10Ms are pretty much unbearable. The problem right now is that you can be brain dead in a T-10M and your armor layout plus that 280mm APHE round can just wreck most things you run into.

The other team needs strong players with the right ammo to even have a chance, and given how awful the grind for those ammos are, most of the time the US/GR is about half as capable as the RU team by numbers.

Im pretty mad at video games about it being such an awful experience so I'll just shut up before we get knee deep in a Russian bias conversation. But it really isn't worth playing right now.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 8, 2015

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
I can't seem to log on after this patch, does anyone have a work-around? I don't want to lose my precious log-on streak :ohdear:

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
If you can't open the game at all try this: http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/270240-errorunknown-81110007-client-crash-after-update/#entry5255218

If you can, but just can't log in... No clue.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Alkydere posted:

The real problem is that the Shermans really face the same issue Pz IV's did until recently: they're at way too high BR. They start at about the right BR (and the 105mm is at the perfect BR) and then get accelerated up the BR tree way too fast as they get bigger guns and minimal additional armor, if any.

Also, you should try using their speed more aggressively. Even the slowest American tank has a fair bit of speed and handling. It's easy to figure out the M18 should be used like a race car, but it's not as easy to figure out when you're driving Shermans. Shermans are huge and have soft sides, but they also drive (reasonably) fast and climb hills very well.

Many aspects of the M4's armor are also pretty badly hosed. Not just the extra plating on the Jumbo, but the gun shield on most of the M4's (esp. the (76) versions) doesn't seem to actually do anything, whereas it should make the mantlet of the M4s pretty drat tough.

My suspicion is that they don't care about armor when it comes to fragments (still)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Azran posted:

I specified it, though?

:thejoke:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Thanks Roumba, that fixed it.

:negative:

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream
Holy Shamoley, reading through some of the posts/responses to posts on the WARNING WT FORUM: Developer Q&A makes me cringe so bad...

Certain highlights, chosen by me:

Q: It's obvious that T-10M and Maus are too strong for most 6.7 tanks.
A: any of 6.7 BR tank can (with good skill and proper distance and proper bullet) kill T-10 or Maus. Well, it is hard, but possible.

Q: Why did Russain BR6.7 Tanks need post war ammo ?
A: Why not? The game is about vehicles, not exact historical events.

Q: Are you planning to make Germans 128 mm cannons get 311 penetration? we all know there tanks slow and this won't effect balance.
A: 1.We are using correct data for penetration of 128mm cannons. 2. We are not balancing tanks with their DMs. They all supposed to have as much realistic DM and cannons as it possible

Q: Will Enduring Confrontation get it´s own fixed MM tables for the different brackets?
A: We are planning to replace current SB with EC mode. So all BR of SB mode will be by EC.

Q: I've been observing Gaijin's method of balancing the game even early on before Battle Ratings were implemented...and I must say, while the old and new tiering systems are different, they're pretty much doing the same thing: Balance vehicles based on their performance and even other figures.
A: We do not spend too much time on balancing currently. We have invested a lot in that in the past, we have made some principles for the random battles and now just making small tweaks in general concept (like QMM).

Q: What I wanna know is: What are your plans for the future?
A: I'm not ready to talk about really long term now. We are finishing OBT and going to release, after release we will definitely bring ships to the game and start World War game mode, but that's all details for now.

Q: Since the introduction of 1.37 that brought the BR system, the critical responses towards the game have increased in value and tone, does Gaijin acknowledge this and plan to act towards the playerbase instead of acting directly against them (squashed tiers, more compression etc etc)?
A: We are not acting against players. That doesnt make any sense. Really new BR system is QMM. 1.37 only separated progression ranks and matchmaking values, which allowed us to tweak MM without braking progression.

Q: Is the Me262 considered comparable to the F86-A5 in any measurable way? Or is the T-10M comparable to the Tiger II H in any measurable way?
A: Me-262 is not comparable with F-86-a5. as well as T-10 with Tiger II (or even less)

Man oh man, i'm not sure what to say...
Hopefully my last bastion, SB Events Ground forces will stay the way it is for now. Getting rid of random SB GF hurt bad.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

PenguinScotty posted:

Q: It's obvious that T-10M and Maus are too strong for most 6.7 tanks.
A: any of 6.7 BR tank can (with good skill and proper distance and proper bullet) kill T-10 or Maus. Well, it is hard, but possible.
And a T-50 can kill a Tiger! :downs:

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

PenguinScotty posted:

Q: Will Enduring Confrontation get it´s own fixed MM tables for the different brackets?
A: We are planning to replace current SB with EC mode. So all BR of SB mode will be by EC.

Irrespective of the other pieces of poo poo in the Q&A that one is arguably the most important i.e. SB Air is going and is being replaced with permanent EC mode.

The only way of saving the game really is for it to be sold as has been evident for the past 3 years Gaijin really hasn't got a clue how to operate and constantly makes decision that is significantly against their customers wishes. The real only hope is that the GF's changes are rolled back on the Chinese server as seems to be happening and then after a few months its applied to the RoW servers when they see how much a positive change it has had there. Then again this is Gaijin.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It's such a shame that Gaijin's graphical, audio and gameplay mechanics teams, who do phenomenal work, are completely hamstrung by their systems design team, who as far as I can tell don't seem to have made a definitive positive change to the game since I started playing. Things like the graphics, audio, flight/damage models, armour modelling on tanks, terrain modelling on ground maps etc. just get better and better, yet the dipshits in systems design can't even figure out where a given plane should sit in matchmaking with two years of performance data to aid them. It's been, what, a year and a half since tanks came out and they still haven't done a thing about a stray shot knocking out your gun barrel rendering you entirely useless for an entire RB match if you take a partsless tank out first.

:smith:

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 8, 2015

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Mr Chips posted:

And a T-50 can kill a Tiger! :downs:

Only that the T-50 actually has the speed, mobility and small size to actually get into position. None of the 6.7 tanks has that advantage over any of the top tier tanks except the Maus, but beeing smaller and more mobile than a Maus doesn't mean you're small or fast enough to succesfully flank one, especially when there's still a whole enemy team around.

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream

BBJoey posted:

It's such a shame that Gaijin's graphical, audio and gameplay mechanics teams, who do phenomenal work, are completely hamstrung by their systems design team, who as far as I can tell don't seem to have made a definitive positive change to the game since I started playing. Things like the graphics, audio, flight/damage models, armour modelling on tanks, terrain modelling on ground maps etc. just get better and better, yet the dipshits in systems design can't even figure out where a given plane should sit in matchmaking with two years of performance data to aid them. It's been, what, a year and a half since tanks came out and they still haven't done a thing about a stray shot knocking out your gun barrel rendering you entirely useless for an entire RB match if you take a partsless tank out first.

:smith:

Can't agree with you more. WT is a beautiful game with the Vehicles, especially Tanks, having extremely beautiful models. The Tanks alone, with their Weathering and dings and bangs and dirt are just superb. It really really is sad to see such potential just kind of slithering along without proper guidance/goal.

There is so little desire to get new people into the game (What are the incentives? Why should they play? Not even considering the MM), but there is also so little reason for people to continue playing higher Tiers. Events at least, had some semblance of "story" or, i don't know, and interesting aspect about them (Oh, i'm playing Kursk! Biggest Tank Battle! Cool!). The World War mode is nowhere near in sight, as they said, and Balancing is not a primary goal for them...

It's sad, man, i really like WT but i've played maybe 10 games in the past 6 months.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Why :hitler: so bad?
"Because history"

Why :ussr: so good?
"Because gently caress history"

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

You missed "Maus isn't broken when it shows up in 6.7! It's aggregate K/D hasn't changed at all!".

I have only one 7.7 tank, the T-54, and getting dropped in BR 6.7 matches is loving hilarious because nothing can penetrate you from the front. You can just zoom around and one-shot stuff with impunity. I can only imagine how much worse this is with a BR 7.7 that has actual armour. Getting dropped into 6.7 is like playing an old-style T-34 again.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

simplefish posted:

Why :hitler: so bad?
"Because history"

Why :ussr: so good?
"Because gently caress history"

gently caress now I need to look up Italy - Soviet relations throughout the years.

e: more changes to BR and MM http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/270232-planned-changes-to-br-and-mm/ Yak jets to 6.7

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 8, 2015

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

The changes actually look better than the old MM/BR system, apart from for Britain.

Britain now has no Early Jet they are all either BR 8 or B 9, including the Vampire and Meteor Mk3.

If they did a similar BR grouping for tanks it would be a LOT better, but they wont.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah I've been playing here and there around 5.7-6.7 BR over the last few weeks and Ground Forces just seems like an unbalanced, unfun mess half the time. Going against T-44s and T-84-100s in every game in the Kraut 1V :thumbsup: Did they ever justify having to unlock Parts/Extinguishers beyond 'gently caress you that's why?" I remember them at least acknowledging that players were upset about it.

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012

PenguinScotty posted:

We are finishing OBT and going to release

What's OBT?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Open Beta Test. So basically the game will be "officially ready for release" soon.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

While simultaneously in probably it's worst state for a while :laffo:

All will be forgiven (at least for a couple of weeks) when they give me my goddamn Comets.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

spectralent posted:

I have only one 7.7 tank, the T-54, and getting dropped in BR 6.7 matches is loving hilarious because nothing can penetrate you from the front. You can just zoom around and one-shot stuff with impunity. I can only imagine how much worse this is with a BR 7.7 that has actual armour. Getting dropped into 6.7 is like playing an old-style T-34 again.

Then you might be glad to hear that it has pretty much the best effective frontal armour of all BR 7.7 tanks with exception of IS-3 and IS-4M. None of the others are as tanky as it, with the two named being obviously significantly slower, more cumbersome, and worse armed. So, no, it's not much worse with other BR 7.7s, armour wise.

Teal fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 8, 2015

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'm having a hard time killing stuff with the He112 A-0

For a 20mm cannon it seems to not kill things at an astounding rate

Which belt do I want to fix this? Or is it unfixable? Or am I a bad workman and the cannon is the tool?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

simplefish posted:

I'm having a hard time killing stuff with the He112 A-0

For a 20mm cannon it seems to not kill things at an astounding rate

Which belt do I want to fix this? Or is it unfixable? Or am I a bad workman and the cannon is the tool?

The thing to remember is the He112A0's gun fires really slowly and every round is a tracer. There's no extra, invisible rounds between the bright ones you spit out. The HEF rounds, though, have ridiculous accuracy and velocity, especially for such an early craft. It should only take 3-4 direct hits (maybe less) to burn or destroy an aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Night10194 posted:

The thing to remember is the He112A0's gun fires really slowly and every round is a tracer. There's no extra, invisible rounds between the bright ones you spit out. The HEF rounds, though, have ridiculous accuracy and velocity, especially for such an early craft. It should only take 3-4 direct hits (maybe less) to burn or destroy an aircraft.

Yeah, this. The A-0's cannon is pretty unique when it comes to aiming due to the insanely low RoF compared to other 20mms.

• Locked thread