Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Riding on the platform of the Quetzals is a shaky mess for me. I can ride on the rafts and other platform dinos no problems but when I'm on a moving Quetzal it turns into a vibrator while I stand nice and still in the center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gonkish posted:

http://imgur.com/a/oln6C

So flying Brontos are a thing.

I wonder if the bronto would be able to attack dinos attacking the Quetz.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Depends posted:

Riding on the platform of the Quetzals is a shaky mess for me. I can ride on the rafts and other platform dinos no problems but when I'm on a moving Quetzal it turns into a vibrator while I stand nice and still in the center.

Just like a good ole fashion B-17.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Figured I'd try this game again, because why not, and yup, it still runs at about 13 fps despite me having a relatively good computer. I'd love to give this game a shot but I cannot play at slideshow speeds (this is on medium settings). The game doesn't even look good, it looks like poo poo on the settings I'm trying to play it at.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
What specs are you running? A coworker of mine built a pc for a friend out of parts from his old comps and the game runs at 30-40 fps on medium.

Don't forget to turn the sky quality to the lowest setting, it helps a lot.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Also it's just not efficient when you're in an area surrounded by 50+ dinos. That has a major impact on the performance, and can't really be avoided at this point.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, turn off shadows and some of the extraneous things and that makes a massive, massive performance improvement.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Lowering your resolution one notch helps a lot too. And run the game in low memory (4 GB) mode. It helps a lot and doesn't seem to affect much.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Definitely set it down to medium. I have a 980ti and a 3440x1440 monitor and High/Epic can be a slideshow at times.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Some launch commands that may help you:

-useallavailablecores -sm4 -d3d10

This took my FPS from 30 to 70 with minimal effect on graphics.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sokani posted:

Some launch commands that may help you:

-useallavailablecores -sm4 -d3d10

This took my FPS from 30 to 70 with minimal effect on graphics.

sm4 got rid of all ground cover for me. Changed all the ivy and stuff to just a flat texture. You might consider that a feature but I thought it was pretty ugly.

It would probably help me spot eggs better, however.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The first and second switches make sense. What's sm4?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Internet Explorer posted:

The first and second switches make sense. What's sm4?

I think it's "Shader Model 4." I'm not sure what any of the commands actually do, I just messed with different options until the game was playable :shrug:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a shot the next time I play. I'd love to play at High/Epic, it looks much better than Medium.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Thanks for the tips guys but I think I'll just come back when they actually try and optimize the game. I don't really have a huge want to play a game that looks like poo poo or is a slideshow and it seems the two are mutually exclusive.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Shamelessly stealing this from reddit, but good lord thats a hell of an assault drop. Pretzels are going to completely change base attacks now that walls are no longer the best method to keep the big stompies out - The really active PvP servers will be reporting Big Bird tames the second they see it happen.

edit: Nvm!

quote:

the next patch is making the quetzl saddle take pawn weight into account. This is so large dinos make it encumbered.

Knifegrab posted:

Thanks for the tips guys but I think I'll just come back when they actually try and optimize the game. I don't really have a huge want to play a game that looks like poo poo or is a slideshow and it seems the two are mutually exclusive.

"Man this game runs like garbage, I'd love to give it a shot."

*Goons offer a bunch of simple tried and true methods to make this early access game not just playable, but outright good in many cases.*

"Thanks but Nah"

Thanks for stopping by the thread forums user Knifegrab!

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 8, 2015

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Shamelessly stealing this from reddit, but good lord thats a hell of an assault drop. Pretzels are going to completely change base attacks now that walls are no longer the best method to keep the big stompies out - The really active PvP servers will be reporting Big Bird tames the second they see it happen.

"Man this game runs like garbage, I'd love to give it a shot."

*Goons offer a bunch of simple tried and true methods to make this early access game not just playable, but outright good in many cases.*

"Thanks but Nah"

Thanks for stopping by the thread forums user Knifegrab!

It makes the game playable at the cost of it looking like poo poo. And even still while it looks like poo poo it hardly gets a consistent 50 fps. If I set it to the lowest settings and use all your tips it still dips to the 30's constantly, and looks like complete rear end.

This, using all the tips posted above, was the only way to get the game to consistently play at 60 fps (and even still it dropped to the 40's constantly).

Yup this game looks great!

I have nothing wrong with the game, I expect it to be fun, but until this quality/performance issue is addressed I won't be playing. I appreciate the tips but they didn't solve the issue I was having, I didn't just blow them off Forum Poster a cock shaped fruit

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Waiting till release is a smart move anyway, this game changes too dang much too fast. Once you've played at full resolution and full draw distance its really hard to go back because it looks insanely good.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

I find buying early access games during early access to be the best way to guarantee the best price for their full release when they are eventually finished. It's like a pre order you can try at any time. Only you can't cancel it when you realise far too late it's a terrible idea.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Knifegrab posted:

Yup this game looks great!

I have nothing wrong with the game, I expect it to be fun, but until this quality/performance issue is addressed I won't be playing. I appreciate the tips but they didn't solve the issue I was having, I didn't just blow them off Forum Poster a cock shaped fruit

It's also a pretty recent game, so while they're sure to have a fair amount of optimization left, you might want to upgrade from your geforceIImx.

Mobile GPU?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I find buying early access games during early access to be the best way to guarantee the best price for their full release when they are eventually finished. It's like a pre order you can try at any time. Only you can't cancel it when you realise far too late it's a terrible idea.

Actually, you generally can! Let me help:

'steam refund policy posted:

Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours. There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we’ve described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look.

Refunds on Pre-Purchased Titles
When you pre-purchase a title on Steam (and have paid for the title in advance), you can request a refund at any time prior to release of that title. The standard 14-day/two-hour refund period also applies, starting on the game’s release date.

Since my playtime is a whopping 20 minutes, it means that likely, especially recently since they've started really revamping early access refunding, I could probably get my money back! Weeee. But my point is I'll wait. If when it is considered "released" it still plays poorly I'll still have under an hour of playtime with the game.

Fayk posted:

It's also a pretty recent game, so while they're sure to have a fair amount of optimization left, you might want to upgrade from your geforceIImx.

Mobile GPU?

GTX 970, i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz, on an SSD, with 16 GB of RAM, windows 8.1. No idea why this game alone seems to be problematic when I can run almost everything else on ultra.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Since my playtime is a whopping 20 minutes, it means that likely, especially recently since they've started really revamping early access refunding, I could probably get my money back! Weeee. But my point is I'll wait. If when it is considered "released" it still plays poorly I'll still have under an hour of playtime with the game.

Might want to re-read that. The game isn't pre-purchase - it's Early Access. Also, the game isn't coming out in 14 days. Honestly, just saying to make sure you are aware that's how the policy works.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Might want to re-read that. The game isn't pre-purchase - it's Early Access. Also, the game isn't coming out in 14 days. Honestly, just saying to make sure you are aware that's how the policy works.

There are times apparently when the support will consider early access pre purchase, but sometimes they won't, I think not everyone who does support is sure of the difference. But more importantly was this part I had in the quote: "There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we’ve described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look."

I've actually gotten an early access games refunded before, well past the 14 day time limit, becasuse I just simply had very little playtime with it. They've been really great about this stuff recently.

Of course its a gamble, and I could be stuck with a dud, but eh, just want people to realize that their new refund policy means you might be able to get a refund on really any game.

edit: Plus with my system config, I can't imagine the game forever running poorly. I already love the base gameplay conceptually, I just literally cannot play it due to performance. Its a cool game and I enjoy reading updates about it.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 8, 2015

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Knifegrab posted:

GTX 970, i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz, on an SSD, with 16 GB of RAM, windows 8.1. No idea why this game alone seems to be problematic when I can run almost everything else on ultra.

We have nearly identical specs and my game looks nothing like your screenshots. Not sure why you're having a hard time.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Sokani posted:

We have nearly identical specs and my game looks nothing like your screenshots. Not sure why you're having a hard time.

The only thing I could think of is I am using specific Nvidia drivers that optimize for VR, so maybe its throwing this game out of whack, other than that, no idea. I mean this is the nature of Early Access, I knew what I was getting into, and I appreciate the tips posted above.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

The only thing I could think of is I am using specific Nvidia drivers that optimize for VR, so maybe its throwing this game out of whack, other than that, no idea. I mean this is the nature of Early Access, I knew what I was getting into, and I appreciate the tips posted above.

Yeah there's definitely something amiss, I run an older gen i7 than yours and and old-as-balls ATI 7950 2GB and I can get better framerates with better settings than that. It could definitely be driver fuckery, but there's also a few settings that absolutely tank performance while most others don't actually have that huge an impact. You can leave textures, post processing, world tile buffers and antialiasing at medium-high but the other settings are pretty heavy.

FYI using -sm4 isn't recommended for current-gen cards, it's mainly intended for older cards like mine that work better with SM4. Try turning that off and running in 4GB mode.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Glad I'm not the only one calling them Pretzels/Pretzelcoats

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Knifegrab posted:

Could be the ram on the card too

I've got a gtx 770 w/4gb and I get 20-50 fps depending on what I'm up to (the swamp really hurt my fps when it got added). 32gb of ram, Windows 10, first gen i7 of some variety. I've got most settings on high.

http://imgur.com/a/T8GsJ

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I thought the 970 had a lot of ram...

nightwisher posted:

Yeah there's definitely something amiss, I run an older gen i7 than yours and and old-as-balls ATI 7950 2GB and I can get better framerates with better settings than that. It could definitely be driver fuckery, but there's also a few settings that absolutely tank performance while most others don't actually have that huge an impact. You can leave textures, post processing, world tile buffers and antialiasing at medium-high but the other settings are pretty heavy.

FYI using -sm4 isn't recommended for current-gen cards, it's mainly intended for older cards like mine that work better with SM4. Try turning that off and running in 4GB mode.

Thanks I tried, no real change.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I'm running on all high using a 980 that I recently upgraded to. However, I can't say if it was the video card upgrade, or the ram upgrade that helped the most. My prior video was a pair of 660s in sli. And my system memory was 8gb. Now, I'm rocking 32gb of system. Still using spindle drives. I would suggest trying the regular drivers instead of vr drivers just to see if that is the case. It may also be the game chopping up as it does support the dk2 rift.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

There must be something wrong with that driver, I have a 3.8 GHZ I7 and half that ram with everything else the same and I get 30-50 fps with epic settings and everything set to max except sky quality due to the clouds obscuring the mountains.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
I can play on max settings but my computer will overheat eventually and turn off. So I stick to medium settings until I get off my lazy rear end and optimize my towers airflow.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Things that could affect your performance that aren't obvious:

-power settings in Control Panel, make sure you're not in power save mode or something
-nvidia control panel settings, I think there's a steam guide for this
-(I'm assuming) AMD Catalyst Control center settings
-a big pagefile will help
-use Display Driver Uninstaller to completely remove your drivers and install new ones. DONT OVERLOOK THIS IF NOTHING ELSE WORKS. You'd be surprised how much this can help certain games

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Things that could affect your performance that aren't obvious:

-power settings in Control Panel, make sure you're not in power save mode or something
-nvidia control panel settings, I think there's a steam guide for this
-(I'm assuming) AMD Catalyst Control center settings
-a big pagefile will help
-use Display Driver Uninstaller to completely remove your drivers and install new ones. DONT OVERLOOK THIS IF NOTHING ELSE WORKS. You'd be surprised how much this can help certain games

-My power settings are set to the highest setting.
-I will look into the nivida control panel thing
-Don't have AMD N/A
-I do have a relatively large pagefile set.
-I do this every driver update because I am super anal about drivers.

When I get the chance I will try and use non-vr drivers but I do VR stuff a lot so its kind of a pain to flip back and forth.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

quote:

Upcoming Version: v218.3, ETA: 12pm EST Deployment
* New server option defaulting disallowed, Quetz platforms will not allow any non-allied dino to base on them when they are flying.
* Quetz platforms now include the weight of all pawns based on them, including the inherent pawn carry weight, causing encumbrance when carrying very large dinos.
* Raised Max KillZ being too low causing some characters to die on a high-flying Quetz platform
* Fixed Quetz damage / warpaint overlay
* Tranq Dart Torpidity effect increased by 100%
* Improved walking on dynamic platforms, Quetz, Raft, etc
* Poison Grenades add 25% more Torpor and have 20% more AoE
* Beezlebufo fall damage speed threshold raised to avoid taking damage on long jumps
* Alpha Dinos can no longer be picked up
* Quetz reduced damage by 33% and damage scaling by 20%
* Fixed a case where Player disconnected from the server could become unsleeped
* Fixed standing on Rafts
* Spectator Player List now can sort by Player or Tribe and also Search by Player or Tribe
* Fixed Dino XP level #, extra 0
:getin:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
^^ drat you :argh:

218.3 patch notes got a bit longer today. So I'll post up the whole thing as it currently stands. They are still listing a noon deployment which has past, so either being patched now, or it is delayed for the new topics added.

quote:

* New server option defaulting disallowed, Quetz platforms will not allow any non-allied dino to base on them when they are flying.
* Quetz platforms now include the weight of all pawns based on them, including the inherent pawn carry weight, causing encumbrance when carrying very large dinos.
* Raised Max KillZ being too low causing some characters to die on a high-flying Quetz platform
* Fixed Quetz damage / warpaint overlay
* Tranq Dart Torpidity effect increased by 100%
* Improved walking on dynamic platforms, Quetz, Raft, etc
* Poison Grenades add 25% more Torpor and have 20% more AoE
* Beezlebufo fall damage speed threshold raised to avoid taking damage on long jumps
* Alpha Dinos can no longer be picked up
* Quetz reduced damage by 33% and damage scaling by 20%
* Fixed a case where Player disconnected from the server could become unsleeped
* Fixed standing on Rafts
* Spectator Player List now can sort by Player or Tribe and also Search by Player or Tribe
* Fixed Dino XP level #, extra 0

There is a more notes to come listed as well, so perhaps a few more bits to add.

Things of note: poison grenades which are already pretty drat effective get a larger effect place (I'm looking at your rhyme). The tranq dart buff is welcome, but I'm still unsure I'd use them. This is mainly based on the fact that I would have to make the darts versus the hilarious stockpile (and seems to always be growing) of tranq arrows thanks to wild apex predators carrying a few per kill.

Alphas can't be picked up by the quetz which also gets a damage nerf. No surprise there really on either note.

The best note is that the frog won't kill itself leaping around so much now. Thank god.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
They also released another digest. http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/481115363856341596/

ARK: Fear Evolved

quote:

For about a week toward the end of October, the ARK will be undergoing a brief seasonal change where the air becomes cooler, the days shorter & the nights longer, the moon a certain shade of red, bats and other nasty creatures appearing above-ground, carvable pumpkins sprouting up, rumors of powerful undead beasts roaming the land -- and emerging from the mists, the mythical Dodorex makes its appearance at last astride an army of bloodthirsty zombie Dodos, with limited edition treats for those Survivors brave enough to take on the many tricks of ARK: Fear Evolved!

War Drum Concept

+ Patch 219 will add ability for argents to pick up sabers and buff tranq darts (upcoming patch is 218.3)
+ Reinforced stone chest at some point
+ Skeleton items from Alphas that can be made into display trophies soon
+ Heavily decreasing the lifespan and longevity of lone foundations soon
+ Colored smoke grenades soon
+ Rebalancing use of behemoth gates as walls in the next major update
+ Regular saddle for quetzal next week
+ Half-height fence railings next week
+ Inventory option to paint yourself
+ Remote control that opens/closes doors from a distance
+ War horn to go with the drums
+ Adding ability to hotkey whistle groups of creatures and easily switch target group soon
+ Hatching eggs will require time and warmth
+ Levels of baby dinos will be influenced by parents' genetics
+ Mammals not included yet in breeding scheme
+ Adding additional methods to obtain high-level blueprints soon
+ RE: shield - "The shield will be able to be equipped as armor and it’ll be displayed when either no weapon is equipped or a one-handed melee weapon is equipped. Then what you’ll need to do is hold a key to raise the shield, but you won’t be able to melee attack when the shield is up. The shield will then convert damage into durability lost on the shield, with a multiplier. You’ll also move slower when the shield has been raised."
+ New biome caves in November
+ Boss arenas for albino king kong and broodmother in November - "Instead of the Boss simply appearing in the overworld when the Tribute is spent, there will be a teleportation visual effect which will spiral down from the obelisk and teleport anyone standing on the pad around the terminal into the Boss Arena. This Boss Arena is completely disconnected physically from the ARK overworld. The Boss will then proceed to dramatically enter their Arena, and will fight to the death against any brave survivors who dare enter their lair. When the boss is dead, survivors are given a few minutes to collect their winnings and are then teleported back to the Overworld. However they are able to select a Bed or Sleeping Bag to return to a location of their preference, so that they’ll be able to avoid being clobbered by an awaiting Tribe :p. Whilst a group is fighting in the Boss Arena, the Tribute pad is surrounded by a force-field so no other tribe can access it or teleport to the Boss Arena at the time. There is an overall timer on the Boss Fight after which everyone in the Boss Arena is killed, and note that you cannot build in the Boss Arenas either. They have been specifically designed to cater to and expand on the mechanics of fighting each boss, with appropriate specialized environmental hazards and minion support ;). -- Just wait ‘till you see the 4th one! >:)"

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Still no poop fix? That's lovely.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

+ RE: shield - "The shield will be able to be equipped as armor and it’ll be displayed when either no weapon is equipped or a one-handed melee weapon is equipped. Then what you’ll need to do is hold a key to raise the shield, but you won’t be able to melee attack when the shield is up. The shield will then convert damage into durability lost on the shield, with a multiplier. You’ll also move slower when the shield has been raised."

Call in the riot squad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sokani posted:

Still no poop fix? That's lovely.

What's wrong with poop? I filled 7 compost bins in like 5 minutes this morning