Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Sober posted:

Forgot to mention, PC. Playing just normally right now.

I've hit rank 11 now. Seems a little better if I queue specifically for races or deathmatch or something. Otherwise not really. I guess sometimes I just get random blind invites cause I got some rank 45 story missions out of the blue and no one decided to kick me from those (they seem really straightforward anyway).

So what exactly do low level people do anyway? Just queue random stuff and just do whatever I guess? I also assume all the DLC weapons are worth picking up as I can get them whenever, right?

Level pretty much only means that you own a few extra toys. You can buy a good gun and wreck people at level 1. As far as I can tell, it is only a barrier to what missions you can start yourself, and what guns you can buy. (But with a wall of perfectly good guns to the right with zero level restrictions, who cares)

Oh, and clothing. You can wear more poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Higher-level characters also have more hitpoints and a larger ammunition pool by dint of their character's skills being maxed out. They can also carry more spare vests.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Sorry, gtaO is dead thanks to hackers .

Well, what are you doing then?! Buy more Sharkcards, Tim!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

mutata posted:

Well, what are you doing then?! Buy more Sharkcards, Tim!

I have, think i hit 175ish all told. friends stopped playing though so I'm outa for the time being.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

BitBasher posted:

FTFY. PS4 is happily hack free.

do you ever listen to yourself talk

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Sober posted:

I've hit rank 11 now. Seems a little better if I queue specifically for races or deathmatch or something. Otherwise not really. I guess sometimes I just get random blind invites cause I got some rank 45 story missions out of the blue and no one decided to kick me from those (they seem really straightforward anyway).

So what exactly do low level people do anyway? Just queue random stuff and just do whatever I guess? I also assume all the DLC weapons are worth picking up as I can get them whenever, right?

If you want to, add me: http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/dunno1987

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Alan BStard posted:

This might sound silly but what is the best way to find some goons to play with? I'm in the goon crew now but still seem to be stuck hopping lobbies with pubbies. I'm on the PS4 if that helps.

PS4 players usually set things up in this thread. Most of us that are playing on consoles have been playing since last-gen, so we don't spend a lot of time in-game unless someone lets us know that they want to do something. I am usually willing to jump in and lend a hand with whatever you're doing as long as it isn't just free-roam shooting gallery, just send me a message.

Someone mentioned adding people on Social Club but that doesn't do anything for you on PS4.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Sober posted:

Just started GTA Online, but ummm, do people mostly just race or something when doing jobs? Queuing random stuff usually doesn't bring much up or it's waiting for minutes at a time trying to get people for other modes.

Also why do I keep getting invites to heists and heist setups even at level 7?

Definitely pick up the DLC weapons.

Racing is probably your best bet - missions and deathmatches are impacted by your rank because you will take more damage. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do them, but you're going to have a tough time in death matches against higher ranked players.

It used to be that there was no queue - you just quick joined a race etc and were immediately dumped into a lobby. But now...ugh. I've seen the timer tick for a race for several minutes. Very annoying.

Regarding heists, you can join heists at any level - you can't host them until you're level 12. Jump in on a heist if you can that will help as well.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Sorry, gtaO is dead thanks to hackers .

Spend 100$ _HERE_ to be jealous

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sober posted:

What should be doing is every mission an NPC calls you about/sends to your phone (so that you can select them from the mission menus later on) and you should definitely purchase the good DLC weapons as soon as possible to bump up your ability to shoot.

Also, if you need some race wins to get better parts for your cars? Go and make a simple race in the creator mode, set it to Utility vehicles by default, then buy or find a Vapid Sadler truck and tune it up a little. When you start the race with other people, you'll have a reasonably fast truck versus their slowass golf carts/vespas/tractors, and you'll easily win. My suggestion is to do it in GTA mode, and make sure you filled the track with plenty of rockets and checkpoints on the route, so that they won't want to quit out and cheat you of a race win.

Cheap Shot posted:

Level pretty much only means that you own a few extra toys. You can buy a good gun and wreck people at level 1. As far as I can tell, it is only a barrier to what missions you can start yourself, and what guns you can buy. (But with a wall of perfectly good guns to the right with zero level restrictions, who cares)

Oh, and clothing. You can wear more poo poo.

This is wrong. Every level up to 100 you gain more health. This lets you start taking a good deal more punishment before you die, it's basically like having twice the health by level 100. You also get to eventually have full body armor from what you purchase, and to be able to store more body armor on you to put on in missions. It's really helpful, especially for heists.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 6, 2015

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Nintendo Kid posted:

This is wrong. Every level up to 100 you gain more health. This lets you start taking a good deal more punishment before you die, it's basically like having twice the health by level 100. You also get to eventually have full body armor from what you purchase, and to be able to store more body armor on you to put on in missions. It's really helpful, especially for heists.

Oh yeah I forgot about the armor. Had no idea about the health! Woah!

Lower level people aren't useless is the point I was trying to make though. You shouldn't worry about your level if you want to play with other people (unless they're mega spergs)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Cheap Shot posted:

Lower level people aren't useless is the point I was trying to make though. You shouldn't worry about your level if you want to play with other people (unless they're mega spergs)

As long as they're consistently good with headshots and have a predisposition toward keeping their head down, a lower level player can contribute somewhat to a heist, but with the laser accuracy of the AI during heists and the sheer flimsiness of the lower level players' health it really is chancy as gently caress.

titties
May 10, 2012

Cheap Shot posted:

Hexenritter posted:

As long as they're consistently good with headshots and have a predisposition toward keeping their head down, a lower level player can contribute somewhat to a heist, but with the laser accuracy of the AI during heists and the sheer flimsiness of the lower level players' health it really is chancy as gently caress.

Yeah, there's definitely a point where a low level will be a handicap for anyone but the best players.

We tried to run a group through Pacific Standard one night, it was 3 experienced goons and a level 17 pubbie. The pub did fine at the beginning, but with like 20 or 30% of the health and armor that everyone else had it was impossible for him to survive the mission where you steal the bikes. After about 15 tries I finally just had him drive my Kuruma while I made 2 trips with the bikes. When we went into the finale he was dead before we even got out of the first alley even though we were hopping the wall pretty much as soon as you get to the alley.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Are the NPC missions givers supposed to call me or is there a cooldown period between leaving a job and sitting in freeroam to get a call/text? I'm rank 14/15 now and I only have like 3 contact missions I can start/host even though checking the wiki I should have a good dozen or so now.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Try using your phone for the Quick Job menu and choose Contact Mission, it should throw you into a mission inside of 2 minutes.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

titties posted:

Yeah, there's definitely a point where a low level will be a handicap for anyone but the best players.

We tried to run a group through Pacific Standard one night, it was 3 experienced goons and a level 17 pubbie. The pub did fine at the beginning, but with like 20 or 30% of the health and armor that everyone else had it was impossible for him to survive the mission where you steal the bikes. After about 15 tries I finally just had him drive my Kuruma while I made 2 trips with the bikes. When we went into the finale he was dead before we even got out of the first alley even though we were hopping the wall pretty much as soon as you get to the alley.

Funniest thing about this poo poo is R* set the heists to all unlock at level 12.There's no way in hell a group of level 12 players could pull that poo poo off.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

There's 138 players waiting to get into Yacht Rock & White Girls. Is someone going through those? How many people can a group hold. I'm not approving anyone until whoever owns the group tells me if I should.

I recognize about none of these people on this list.

titties
May 10, 2012

BitBasher posted:

There's 138 players waiting to get into Yacht Rock & White Girls. Is someone going through those? How many people can a group hold. I'm not approving anyone until whoever owns the group tells me if I should.

I recognize about none of these people on this list.

I've mentioned itt and in the group description that people need to message me and I will send them an invite. I have been going through the requests and checking profiles for common goonfriends or groups, but the interface is bad and a lot of people have their friends list private.

At this point I am probably not going to bother checking every request. People who want in can follow the directions in the group description and send me a message, or they can post here or in the goon crew thread.

I made some of you moderators, if you actually do recognize anyone you can add them idgaf

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I just applied to the group and tried to message mr_dread. I just got a PS4 so I barely know what the hell I am doing. Is it advisable to join the crew for this as well?

titties
May 10, 2012

unlawfulsoup posted:

I just applied to the group and tried to message mr_dread. I just got a PS4 so I barely know what the hell I am doing. Is it advisable to join the crew for this as well?

yeah

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
My advice: doing heist finales with pubbies (especially the prison heist) is generally a pointless exercise. Someone will always die/disconnect/fail the objective near the very end. Disconnects are the worst because all progress on the finale is completely wiped out, forcing you to completely remake. Occasionally you will find a good crew that can handle things but that is rare at best.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Eregos posted:

My advice: doing heist finales with pubbies (especially the prison heist) is generally a pointless exercise. Someone will always die/disconnect/fail the objective near the very end. Disconnects are the worst because all progress on the finale is completely wiped out, forcing you to completely remake. Occasionally you will find a good crew that can handle things but that is rare at best.

It took me a week and a couple dozen tries to clear the Pacific finale my first time, since I play weird hours and rarely see goons. And because I'm not very good at this game. But pubbies are generally quite a bit worse than me.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

titties posted:

Send a message to PSN: mr_dread and I'll send you an invite to the PS4 community,

Yeah, after jumping through a few more hoops - I thought it was enough to mention stairs :smith:

fauntleroy365 here <3

titties
May 10, 2012

brylcreem posted:

Yeah, after jumping through a few more hoops - I thought it was enough to mention stairs :smith:

fauntleroy365 here <3

maybe if you had mentioned them RIGHT geez

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Sober posted:

Are the NPC missions givers supposed to call me or is there a cooldown period between leaving a job and sitting in freeroam to get a call/text? I'm rank 14/15 now and I only have like 3 contact missions I can start/host even though checking the wiki I should have a good dozen or so now.

GTA Online is dogfuck garbage if you aren't playing with other people. Get on Mumble, do missions with goons. Getting into missions adds them to your pool.

titties
May 10, 2012

K8.0 posted:

GTA Online is dogfuck garbage if you aren't playing with other people.

and also if you are so

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Mumble is a ghost town these days.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Every time I try to join Yacht Rock & White Girls from DivisionPost's invite, it boots me back to the main screen. Not sure why.Could you guys send me another invite and see if that fixes it?
Thanks.

Also, we should get up to shenanigans this weekend.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I've completed all the Heists and did the PacStan finale in 2 tries. I've got a pretty solid couple crew members but we're happy to help if you're on PC. I'm on as RSC as jackogk

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Wee Bairns posted:

Every time I try to join Yacht Rock & White Girls from DivisionPost's invite, it boots me back to the main screen. Not sure why.Could you guys send me another invite and see if that fixes it?
Thanks.

I'm down. Maybe we can try some free roam madness in a public server. The pubbies take that poo poo VERY seriously.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Kelly posted:

I'm down. Maybe we can try some free roam madness in a public server. The pubbies take that poo poo VERY seriously.

I like this idea.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Eregos posted:

Yeah, I'm just starting out (currently at level 13 or something) and am very new to Online. Last night I fell in with three pubbies (19, 13 and 5) all in the same crew doing the prison poo poo - the setup jobs went OK with them, so I figured I might as well try the heist as well.

I landed the demolition job which isn't too bad - you jack the prison bus, take it to the airstrip and destroy it, and then go up in a Buzzard and help out the pilot in the fixed wing. I persevered with it over a deozen attempts for an hour before I had to go to bed. Most of the time I'd get to the airstrip and then *bloop* someone else died.

I don't even know what the other jobs entail but surely they can't be THAT difficult. For instance, the Lvl 5 played the prisoner when they might've been better off doing my job which seemed relatively easy even though there's some chopper control involved. I only hosed up things for the others once and that was the first time I jacked the chopper and thought I could get away without killing the bikies guarding it.

Anyway.

I'm going to do other crap to level up into the 20s before getting stuck back into the heists, I think.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Prisoner is probably the hardest position as you're limited to an AP Pistol with not many rounds and that's it unless you start looting dead bodies. The Guard and the Prisoner really need spare multiple suits of body armor in the inventory as well.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

BlackIronHeart posted:

The Prisoner is probably the hardest position as you're limited to an AP Pistol with not many rounds and that's it unless you start looting dead bodies. The Guard and the Prisoner really need spare multiple suits of body armor in the inventory as well.

The guard can drop ammo for the prisoner. There's also a spot between the inner and outer gates where you can jump a Karuma over the wall and into the prison yard.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Maybe some day I'll actually find some people to help me do the prison finale that aren't blithering loving retards, it's actually one of the things that led to me migrating to other games again. coupdeville, Jose Mengelez and a couple others were great for doing poo poo with but I haven't played in a while.

titties
May 10, 2012

Wee Bairns posted:

Thanks.

I've probably sent you 5 - 8 invites as well, I don't know what the issue is. Try going to the "Discover Communities" thing and check the Friends' Communities tab. It should be listed that menu, maybe you can try to join through there. I'll also send you another invite when I get on.

Hexenritter posted:

Maybe some day I'll actually find some people to help me do the prison finale that aren't blithering loving retards, it's actually one of the things that led to me migrating to other games again. coupdeville, Jose Mengelez and a couple others were great for doing poo poo with but I haven't played in a while.

It's strange that so many people have a hard time with this one, it is the easiest heist by a mile save for the 2-person intro heist. Even a pubbie group should be able to manage it but obviously they can not.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Maybe it was because my crew was on fire that night but Series A has to be the easiest one. We did every setup the first time through and only had to restart the finale once.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Series A is certainly the most straightforward. There's nothing really special in any of the setups or the finale, just varying degrees of "go here, kill these dudes and pick up X thing, drive away".

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Hexenritter posted:

I haven't played GTA online in almost two weeks so if you still want to heist you'll have to set up a time. I'm not sure about the other goons we were doing heists with; they'll have to chime in too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I'd be happy to continue my streak of never playing the ground team in the prison break if the timing works out.

• Locked thread