Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It's not necessarily one thing, but years upon years of abuse from a leader unwilling to change his ways, along with his lackeys who copy the shtick, but with a lack the whole "technical criticism" part.

Thankfully, the graphics and input subsystem maintainers, where I spend most of my time, are exceptionally well-run and a joy to deal with. USB (before and after Sharp's maintenance), networking and filesystems subsystems are impossible to enter. Media and sound are passable. The worst experience I've seen was with tglx, who's in charge of pinctrl and timers. Even after he understood our problem, accepted our solution and why his ideas wouldn't work, still said "I don't like it" and has been ignoring our requests for what to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
LKML is pointlessly macho and it's off-putting, yeah. Somebody needs to fight his battle out in the open though, and I don't begrudge Sarah for not wanting to be the one to do it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's not a battle we can win, because Linus sets the tone and culture. Remember when Greg tried to push for a code of conduct and fell apart because Linus himself said he wouldn't follow it?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
No, I don't follow things that closely. But that's quite upsetting.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
they literally have a "code of conflict" instead of a code of conduct

they are proud of their horrible lovely interpersonal dysfunctions

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I'm not sure I follow that summits can be unprofessional but a mailing list cannot. All parties seem to want shouting matches.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 6, 2015

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
working with rude or otherwise unpleasant people is bearable only because you get paid to do it. what kind of person would do it for free. hm.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Everyone on LKML pretty much works for a corporate sponsor? It is supposed to be a hierarchy so I guess if you hate working with these tools you can proxy through others that maintain trees independently until large pull requests.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 6, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
if I were to interact in any official capacity on open lists like some of the LKML folks do, my employer would have quite a few words with me and be right to do so

Linus may not be accountable to anyone, but most of the other LKML people are, and I'm surprised their employers won't hold them to professional standards

then again, it's Linux, so...

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

No, I don't follow things that closely. But that's quite upsetting.

is baby gonna cry

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
fork linux

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Linux and its users/developers are gross

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
As they say, don't look in the kitchen of your favorite restaurant.

Except in-n-out, they do it in the open anyway and it's mesmerizing to watch them turn large potatoes into french freedom fries in 2 seconds flat.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

celeron 300a posted:

Except in-n-out, they do it in the open anyway and it's mesmerizing to watch them turn large potatoes into french freedom fries in 2 seconds flat.

in-n-out cooks would probably make for better kernel developers tbh

less salt than the other guys

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

:cripes:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
you guys know how in n out has those palm trees in a cross? over the bible verse?

they should call them psalm trees

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious Dish posted:

every numeric type would be a double double.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Suspicious Dish posted:

I also want to remind people that this isn't just a "woman in computers" thing. I counted, and I know 20 colleagues, former and present, who have sworn off kernel development entirely because of the toxic attitude. All but one of them male, all of them from diverse cultural backgrounds.

i suppose the good side is "it isn't just women who get treated like this", so that's nice. it could be worse :smith:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the Burger King kids club was discouraged from contributing to the kernel

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
well of course they were, their code wasn't finger-lickin' good

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

celeron 300a posted:

if you're afraid to look in the kitchen, you really shouldn't be eating there

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you're afraid to look in the kitchen, you really shouldn't be eating there

cool autist lifehack

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
autism (n), a severe mental illness characterized chiefly by a disinclination to eat at restaurants with questionable standards of hygiene.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i used to eat in the world's most disgusting restaurant

it was a 19th century roadhouse that had been in use continuously as a restaurant for at least 100 years. it was surrounded by abandoned buildings and scrap yards. the exterior was black. the interior walls were brown and had ~1/4" of congealed grease and tobacco smoke. everything was upholstered in vinyl. which was also brown. i don't know if that was the original color or not. just it was brown when i was eating there. all the waiters and cooks were over the age of 70 and couldn't see. i routinely found silverware on the floor. the whole place smelled like an ashtray

the kitchen was spotless. just acres of gleaming stainless steel

i swear the floors in there were cleaner than the dining area's tables

the point is: it's ok for the dining room to be weird and dirty. it is not at all ok for the bathrooms or kitchen to be dirty, because those are the parts that are easy to clean and also the ports that will make me poo poo my brains out while puking into my shoes

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I met some people that got surprised of seeing dudes in open source projects being nice and open

it's like the lkml is so infamous that it distorts the view of open source in general

also something stallman something

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

I think the whole issue they're having with lkml is way overblown. sarah and mjg makes it sound like there's a 24:7 screamfest in there.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Linux people are screaming manchildren. checks out.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tankakern posted:

I think the whole issue they're having with lkml is way overblown. sarah and mjg makes it sound like there's a 24:7 screamfest in there.

it sort of is. when you live with it, when people won't listen and instead just tell you you're stupid over and over, it grows on you. submitting patches to certain maintainers is just a pain.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Sarah publicly responded to Linus literally telling Greg to "stop being a doormat" by saying "This is not loving okay" and that the tone on LKML was very hostile and disrespectful. You don't get to respond to a very PG-13 bit of banter between friends by jumping in with an R-rated outburst about a hostile atmosphere. Why she chose that particular incident to pick on and not, say, Linus' outburst about somebody needing to be retroactively aborted is beyond me. Probably she wasn't aware of the latter until after the fact.

Matt Garrett publicly posted about how he was henceforth refusing to fix any issues relating to Intel hardware unless specifically instructed to by his employer because some marketing guy at Intel refused to take sides in some Gamergate bullshit. Prior to that he publicly stated that he will have no further interactions with a prominent kernel developer unless specifically instructed to do so by his employer and alleged that the developer in question is a rape apologist, giving no further detail than that. Which is a rather serious disparagement of somebody's character bordering on libel, so I assume that Garrett has good reason to be making such accusations.

You can't accuse a community of being hostile while simultaneously starting conflicts and assuming malice yourself. At the very least these two people have a rather hard-line position on what constitutes a hostile atmosphere.

e: and for what it's worth there was a recent incident where a newcomer to the community seemed hell-bent on getting any sort of patch merged into the Linux kernel despite being completely technically inept. Multiple world-class kernel developers treated this guy with kid gloves, spent a lot of their very valuable time reviewing his code and giving constructive feedback, and assumed the best of intentions, and finally when it became clear that this guy was just wasting everybody's time he was politely but firmly blacklisted from submitting any further patches. Some LKML members are certainly more abrasive than others but there isn't some crazy atmosphere of personal abuse and machismo by a long shot.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 8, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

Sarah publicly responded to Linus literally telling Greg to "stop being a doormat" by saying "This is not loving okay" and that the tone on LKML was very hostile and disrespectful. You don't get to respond to a very PG-13 bit of banter between friends by jumping in with an R-rated outburst about a hostile atmosphere. Why she chose that particular incident to pick on and not, say, Linus' outburst about somebody needing to be retroactively aborted is beyond me. Probably she wasn't aware of the latter until after the fact.

The quote that she was responding to was a physical threat about how Greg could beat her up at any time.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I mean, threats of physical abuse might be "banter between friends" where you come from, like Linus claims, but they're still not acceptable in a professional setting.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

so what are some cool open source projects people should involved with than

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

The quote that she was responding to was a physical threat about how Greg could beat her up at any time.

http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=137390362508794&w=2

quote:

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 18:17:08 +0200, Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org> wrote:
> * Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > I tend to hold things off after -rc4 because you scare me more than Greg
> > > does ;-)
> >
> > Have you guys *seen* Greg? The guy is a freakish giant. He *should*
> > scare you. He might squish you without ever even noticing.
>
> Greg might be a giant and he might squish people without ever even
> noticing, but that's just a grave, deadly physical threat no real kernel
> hacker ever feels threatened by. (Not much can hurt us deep in our dark
> basements after all, except maybe earthquakes, gamma ray eruptions and Mom
> trying to clean up around the computers.)
>
> So Greg, if you want it all to change, create some _real_ threat: be frank
> with contributors and sometimes swear a bit. That will cut your mailqueue
> in half, promise!

If this sounds like an earnest, credible threat of physical violence to you then please seek psychiatric help.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
lol @ mr dogs desperation to find a way to spin linux kernel macho culture as no big deal

ive seen torvalds (who, for better or worse, sets the lkml tone) interacting with people online in a non lkml context (a message board we both read) and he does this poo poo there too. hes addicted to calling people loving idiots (always spells it f*cking) and provoking flamewars and intimidating people into backing down

reminder that torvalds very nearly drove even alan cox away a few years back. cox was in the process of trying to clean out the tty stables, there were decades of horrible broken poo poo in there and fixing it was temporarily breaking emacs or something, and torvalds seemingly thought the best way to resolve the issue was to go in with guns blazing, trying to humiliate cox into fixing-it-now. instead he got cox to resign tty maintainership. this was someone who had probably 2 decades of linus-hardened thick skin at that point, and someone who ought to have had immense credibility with linus. but as soon as linus decided he knew what was going on, he wasn't going to loving listen and he was going to insult and berate until he got his way.

if you think there is a healthy culture on the lkml you ain't watching very hard

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

has anyone tried smartos or https://project-fifo.net/ ?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

b0red posted:

llvm/clang/lldb

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

also Jordan Hubbard's NeXTBSD

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

I mean, threats of physical abuse might be "banter between friends" where you come from, like Linus claims, but they're still not acceptable in a professional setting.

lol

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

b0red posted:

here do a risc os bounty and pretend you're in the early 90s
https://www.riscosopen.org/bounty/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gabensraum posted:

here do a risc os bounty and pretend you're in the early 90s
https://www.riscosopen.org/bounty/

quote:

ARMv7 inline assembler in C compiler

Currently, it is difficult to take full advantage of the modern features of ARM processors from C code. Most of the applications used on RISC OS are themselves written in C. Adding this feature will make it easier to address this issue.

Details

The C compiler currently implements inline assembler. This is limited to the ARMv5 support at the moment. It compiles C code and inline assembler to an intermediate instruction set (“jopcodes”), and the ARM backend can generate ARMv5 and a few ARMv6 instructions from these jopcodes. Therefore, to extend the inline assembler, it is necessary as a minimum to also extend the jopcode instruction set.

To deliver a useful performance benefit to most programs, however, the C compiler should also be taught to generate the new jopcodes from C code, and to perform peephole optimisations on the new jopcodes. However, it is accepted that many of the new ARMv6 and v7 instructions cannot naturally be generated from C code, for example because they make use of processor flags.

Source code to the compiler is closed source so any development of this will need to be performed under a non-disclosure agreement between ROOL and the developer (we can supply this).
$2000 to do a significant amount of compiler work? okay..

it's funny, the fact that you're making money for it kind of makes it seem like it's not worth your time.