Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Watching good shows is fun, and hatewatching really bad shows is also fun, but there's a weird middle ground you never want to fall into where you just watch something out of habit and post about how it could be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I think Sons of Anarchy might be the show with the greatest divide between "Show everyone loves and thinks is amazing" and "Is actually complete poo poo".

In fairness, Goons realized how terrible it was, and the SoA thread was a pleasure to read, but it blows my mind how much the general public loved it. People I know in RL look at me confused when I try and explain how bad it was.

It's especially hard to do now that it's over. After each week it wasn't too hard because you could just point to specific things in the last episode that are examples of why it's terrible, but I struggle to quote any specifics when I try and articulate an argument now.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

xcore posted:

I think Sons of Anarchy might be the show with the greatest divide between "Show everyone loves and thinks is amazing" and "Is actually complete poo poo".

In fairness, Goons realized how terrible it was, and the SoA thread was a pleasure to read, but it blows my mind how much the general public loved it. People I know in RL look at me confused when I try and explain how bad it was.

It's especially hard to do now that it's over. After each week it wasn't too hard because you could just point to specific things in the last episode that are examples of why it's terrible, but I struggle to quote any specifics when I try and articulate an argument now.

What about The Walking Dead? Everyone with good opinions seems to hate that show but it is one of the most watched things on TV.

The Dexter thread was amazing. I never would have made it through the final season without it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Oh there's some shows that are complete poo poo and should've been cancelled a long time ago. But those veer into the So Bad It's Good territory. Or Can't Stop Watching The Trainwreck category anyway.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 8, 2015

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
I hope John Oliver doesn't become a lumberjack.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The Danny Trejo CIA punchline should be enough to convince most intelligent people. Also, the Juice has a black dad subplot. Barring that, Kurt Sutter jacking it to Dr. Siff. Opie's demise was pretty loving bad, but if these people already like SoA, I don't think you can use it to convince them, which is unfortunate.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Liked this week's show.

My mom and dad are bipolar. My dad still basically denies it while taking lithium and my mom self medicated with alcohol for so long she can't seem to stop. I related to the show alot. People are pretty shocked that I'm open with this information but being open is the only thing that makes it less taboo.

I also once watched my dad hold a gun to my mom's head and scream at her to tell him if she really wanted to die... Hurray for taboos that kept them both from seeking any sort of treatment until I was in my teens. (don't worry, I've had therapy, yadda yadda, severed 10 years ago, never going to pass on these poison genes)

I really appreciate John calling out these poo poo head politicians who like to say poo poo like mental health is a priority and never allocate a single dime for treatment, awareness, and general help.
Honestly though I think nothing will change. There's too many people who do know this is a serious problem and just keep voting for the same sad sacks of poo poo who spend their time and efforts on bullshit like defunding pp.

That was probably too heavy for this thread.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 8, 2015

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Tigntink posted:

Liked this week's show.

My mom and dad are bipolar. My dad still basically denies it while taking lithium and my mom self medicated with alcohol for so long she can't seem to stop. I related to the show alot. People are pretty shocked that I'm open with this information but being open is the only thing that makes it less taboo.

I also once watched my dad hold a gun to my mom's head and scream at her to tell him if she really wanted to die... Hurray for taboos that kept them both from seeking any sort of treatment until I was in my teens. (don't worry, I've had therapy, yadda yadda, severed 10 years ago, never going to pass on these poison genes)

I really appreciate John calling out these poo poo head politicians who like to say poo poo like mental health is a priority and never allocate a single dime for treatment, awareness, and general help.
Honestly though I think nothing will change. There's too many people who do know this is a serious problem and just keep voting for the same sad sacks of poo poo who spend their time and efforts on bullshit like defunding pp.

That was probably too heavy for this thread.

Not at all. I'm bipolar, and having made glib jokes about the Crazy Bipolar Girlfriend roommate I had in college, the diagnosis was a tough pill to swallow. Further to that, it shocked me that my employer legitimately had to do a bunch of research to get a handle on the condition after I lost it in a manic episode once; for some reason, I thought the facts of bipolar disorder were common knowledge, but not so.

Ultimately, I don't know what I think will help. Stuff like John Oliver pieces are better than bad, but it's a tough stigma to deal with. The illness comes through with actions rather than physical realities like blood sugar this or arrhythmia that, so it's an uphill battle convincing people that this is an ailment rather than a personality flaw, and ultimately it seems that we choose to just do the doctors and the medications and try to hide the fact of it to the extent possible. Of course, that feeds straight back into the reality that a significant proportion of people with mental illnesses remain undiagnosed, untreated, and, at times, a danger to themselves and others.

:smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SpookyLizard posted:

Or Can't Stop Watching The Trainwreck category anyway.

This is what my wife claims is the reason she watches (most stuff on) TLC; they really do have a ton of it, and I'll admit, it's kind of fun to watch stupid poo poo like "90 day fiancé(e)" and look at all the complete goobers who are genuinely believing that some woman (or guy, Mohammed! :argh:) across the world doesn't just want a green card.

Then you have poo poo like 'Sister Wives' which has to be their lowest-rated show. I mean, it just has to be. It has nothing that's exciting or even mildly interesting about it, even in a bad way. Some dude, probably in Utah, has 4-5 wives. That's loving it. With little people shows, I get it, though I don't care; you watch them day-in, day-out to see how they deal with living in a tall person's world. That 'Big Fat Fabulous life' show, I get, too; let's watch it to see how this kind of insanely huge girl deals with losing the weight (hopefully :ohdear:) and all of that stuff. Even the Duggars had an insanely trainwreck-y show. Man, I wish Rifftrax would cover these things, because it'd be gold.

Sister Wives, though, just offers nothing of value whatsoever. It's not good, it's not interesting (and I don't just mean to me, like genuinely, nothing happens on the show, they just talk in a group almost constantly), and it's not even 'so-bad-it's-good'. It's terrifically boring, and that's the worst thing a show can be.

Sister Wives is the 'irish gun deal meetings' of TLC.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

xcore posted:

meatheads and mouthbreathers thought it was "deep" and "badass", even the loving ending..............so yeah, that's most people you run across out there in real America.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Keyser S0ze posted:

meatheads and mouthbreathers thought it was "deep" and "badass", even the loving ending..............so yeah, that's most people you run across out there in real America.

And women who were :shlick: over Jacks or whatever his name is

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Squall posted:

I hope John Oliver doesn't become a lumberjack.

The Dexter finale was art.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Propaganda Machine posted:

Not at all. I'm bipolar, and having made glib jokes about the Crazy Bipolar Girlfriend roommate I had in college, the diagnosis was a tough pill to swallow. Further to that, it shocked me that my employer legitimately had to do a bunch of research to get a handle on the condition after I lost it in a manic episode once; for some reason, I thought the facts of bipolar disorder were common knowledge, but not so.

Ultimately, I don't know what I think will help. Stuff like John Oliver pieces are better than bad, but it's a tough stigma to deal with. The illness comes through with actions rather than physical realities like blood sugar this or arrhythmia that, so it's an uphill battle convincing people that this is an ailment rather than a personality flaw, and ultimately it seems that we choose to just do the doctors and the medications and try to hide the fact of it to the extent possible. Of course, that feeds straight back into the reality that a significant proportion of people with mental illnesses remain undiagnosed, untreated, and, at times, a danger to themselves and others.

:smith:

I've been classified as bipolar in the past, and I actually got some medication that helped with the depression (Pristiq). And then my insurance ran out and I've had to go back to living medication free and its been fairly brutal.

A LOT of conversations I have with friends go something like this....
"you seem down, are you struggling with that stuff?"
"Dude you don't want to know."
"I'm four beers in, hit me with it."
*I proceed to tell him/her exactly how I feel and my mental state.
"That's too much. You, uh, should, uh, talk to, uh, someone, about that."

And if that struggle exists within friends I've known for literal years, how I do even begin to share this sort of thing with a romantic interest?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LWT is basically a newsmagazine show, and we need that much more than comedy fake news satire. If you want laffs, there are plenty of other options.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Is there any evidence that shows like Jon Stewart, Colbert, and Oliver actually get anything done in terms of political reform?

Or is it just another "here's a problem, here's is a joke about it, let's move on" scenario?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

MVP posted:

Is there any evidence that shows like Jon Stewart, Colbert, and Oliver actually get anything done in terms of political reform?

Or is it just another "here's a problem, here's is a joke about it, let's move on" scenario?

This is something that Stewart himself mocked at the end of his tenure, so...

The most famous example is probably the 9/11 First Responders issue, where Stewart's spotlight on the issue is cited by many involved as having spurred people - especially Fox News - on enough to actually get something done. That is however more the exception than the rule.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MVP posted:

Net Neutrality, maybe? But that's probably assigning the public outcry following his segment too much credit for that ruling.

Ultimately, none of these shows do much but each push things slightly more into the public awareness. It's not much, but neither is any other single piece of publicity on most issues. It's all a cumulative effect but it's also impossible to really measure.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I honestly think it goes issue by issue. US prisons are deeply systemic and an HBO comedy news show has no hope of making a dent into the issue. Stuff like mental health is an issue of public awareness and stigma, so to that end publicity could conceivably have a measured effect.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
They also do tend to air episodes just before a big decision is going to be made around that issue, so I do think they believe their show can influence it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

MVP posted:

I don't think you could ever point to them being the lone voice to fix it. But they've been referenced by people trying to pass laws before, so they have some effect.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The chicken fucker episode was cited by the lawmakers involved as a big source of their constituents outcry to support the farmers on the vote.

Though I doubt they'll try the public outcry thing again so soon after the Perpetual Exemption debacle.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MVP posted:

Colbert testified to the senate about undocumented farm workers I think with regard to americans not wanting to do those jobs after he did a week long thing about it.

But he did it as the character so I don't know where you place this one on the political reform scale. And there's the SuperPAC.

But I guess it's how much you value "awareness" since both of those problems are still going full force.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I've been classified as bipolar in the past, and I actually got some medication that helped with the depression (Pristiq). And then my insurance ran out and I've had to go back to living medication free and its been fairly brutal.

A LOT of conversations I have with friends go something like this....
"you seem down, are you struggling with that stuff?"
"Dude you don't want to know."
"I'm four beers in, hit me with it."
*I proceed to tell him/her exactly how I feel and my mental state.
"That's too much. You, uh, should, uh, talk to, uh, someone, about that."

And if that struggle exists within friends I've known for literal years, how I do even begin to share this sort of thing with a romantic interest?

I hope you find a way to get meds, it's really important to manage both the mania and the depression.

Not at all. I'm bipolar, and having made glib jokes about the Crazy Bipolar Girlfriend roommate I had in college, the diagnosis was a tough pill to swallow.

Yuuuuuuuuuuup, though I wish I could say the jokes were just glib.

MVP posted:

Miss America scholarships was a definite thing.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The chicken fucker episode was cited by the lawmakers involved as a big source of their constituents outcry to support the farmers on the vote.

Though I doubt they'll try the public outcry thing again so soon after the Perpetual Exemption debacle.

There was a debacle about his church thing?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Yeah I don't know if anyone really sent in jizz. It could have just been a funny way to end a recurring bit. Wouldn't really call it a debacle.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

"Debacle"? Unless there's something I missed that was about as much of a "debacle" as Colbert's superpac was a "debacle".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

raditts posted:

"Debacle"? Unless there's something I missed that was about as much of a "debacle" as Colbert's superpac was a "debacle".

RIP Ham Rove

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GutBomb posted:

Yeah I don't know if anyone really sent in jizz. It could have just been a funny way to end a recurring bit.

You underestimate people's capacity to be creepy jerkbags.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Veskit posted:

I hope you find a way to get meds, it's really important to manage both the mania and the depression.

This is true, but bipolar disorder is tricky since you have to manage both sides of the equation. Most patients do veer towards the depressive side, and that much is "easy" enough to deal with.

The manic side is trickier for a few reasons. Lithium is the all-purpose slegdehammer, but it can have brutal side effects and it it quite literally a difficult pill (or two, or three) to swallow. There's another one called Lamictal which I believe is lithium-based, but it's more referred to as a mood stabilizer than antimanic. It works if your symptoms aren't too severe, and in either case you really need to be using some kind of antidepressant as well.

I mean, think about it. There are extremely debilitating and opposite conditions that have to be dealt with simultaneously, and if you go too heavily with meds on either side, it can trigger the worst of the other. Imagine a sine wave. The best one can really hope for is to lessen the intensity. So, a bipolar patient, even with the beat treatment and meds possible is going to have mood swings. Unfortunately, the hope is that they veer depressive because while sadness sucks, mania is downright dangerous.

What really shocked me, upon diagnosis, was how unheard of it is. Again with the crazy bipolar college roommate, but for some reason I thought it was common knowledge, but it isn't. This is why I'm inclined to say that even just saying the word, and that this is not only a thing but more common of a thing than anybody really realizes, is a good and powerful first step for now.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

This is true, but bipolar disorder is tricky since you have to manage both sides of the equation. Most patients do veer towards the depressive side, and that much is "easy" enough to deal with.

The manic side is trickier for a few reasons. Lithium is the all-purpose slegdehammer, but it can have brutal side effects and it it quite literally a difficult pill (or two, or three) to swallow. There's another one called Lamictal which I believe is lithium-based, but it's more referred to as a mood stabilizer than antimanic. It works if your symptoms aren't too severe, and in either case you really need to be using some kind of antidepressant as well.

I mean, think about it. There are extremely debilitating and opposite conditions that have to be dealt with simultaneously, and if you go too heavily with meds on either side, it can trigger the worst of the other. Imagine a sine wave. The best one can really hope for is to lessen the intensity. So, a bipolar patient, even with the beat treatment and meds possible is going to have mood swings. Unfortunately, the hope is that they veer depressive because while sadness sucks, mania is downright dangerous.

What really shocked me, upon diagnosis, was how unheard of it is. Again with the crazy bipolar college roommate, but for some reason I thought it was common knowledge, but it isn't. This is why I'm inclined to say that even just saying the word, and that this is not only a thing but more common of a thing than anybody really realizes, is a good and powerful first step for now.

The bipolar disorder part of the brain is shared with the same part of the brain that causes epilepsies, so it's very common to find those drugs be shared with one another. Lamictal, latuda, and depakote are all ones that work for treating bipolar disorder. There's an assload of drugs are there to take that can help, and why it's important to have regular visits with a psychiatrist to get your medications and especially your dosages right. Lithium is great and all but you need more in your life to really get there.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm digging the continued real world advertising.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
The North Dakota story was good, contractor loopholes could be an episode unto themselves.

Woden
May 6, 2006
That episode seemed all over the place, worse than the drone episode where he just threw as much random bad things to say about the drone program without really tying it all together.

Like why are contractor loopholes any different than just setting up a LLC other than avoiding the bad PR?
That company that leaked more oil 5 months after the first leak somehow didn't have to pay again but Oliver didn't give any details as to why.
Some farmers had salinated land, but that was totally brushed over and no details given at all, like is it ok for miners to just destroy someone else's farmland in Dakota and not have to pay a cent?

I don't live in the US so maybe I'm missing some obvious things but this episode just seemed to be about throwing as much poo poo at mining in South Dakota as it could in the allocated time rather than building a case for why it's bad. At least with the drone episode there was the underlying human element about kids being afraid of the skies, this was just a grab bag of random bad things about mining in South Dakota with a lot of those bad things not even really being explained.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I found the Toyota story extremely weak to be honest. Toyota pick-up trucks are all over IS because they are all over areas where you need something extremely reliable. They were and are used by basically every militia/rebel/freedom fighter/terrorist group worldwide for the last 30 years. Of course IS uses them too. The rest of the episode was good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Decius posted:

I found the Toyota story extremely weak to be honest. Toyota pick-up trucks are all over IS because they are all over areas where you need something extremely reliable. They were and are used by basically every militia/rebel/freedom fighter/terrorist group worldwide for the last 30 years. Of course IS uses them too. The rest of the episode was good.

I think the question was how is ISIS able to purchase fleets of NEW trucks. Yes, them having a ton of old hilux pickups is understandable because they are indestructible, but new vehicles are a different animal. Somewhere in their chain, someone is selling willingly and knowingly to terrorists.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I thought it was a strong presentation. It shows how a specific industry has thrived at the cost of the environment and people's livelihoods. The problem has been exacerbated because responsibility has been deferred away to someone else by anyone who could have been responsible. He points to specific loopholes while keeping a foot in the big picture.

Why is it when I see a story about employees getting hosed over, it always involved contract companies? (Don't answer; I already know.)

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

bull3964 posted:

I think the question was how is ISIS able to purchase fleets of NEW trucks. Yes, them having a ton of old hilux pickups is understandable because they are indestructible, but new vehicles are a different animal. Somewhere in their chain, someone is selling willingly and knowingly to terrorists.

those drat americans

LiterallyTheWurst
Feb 5, 2015

Sendik's Original

Woden posted:

That episode seemed all over the place, worse than the drone episode where he just threw as much random bad things to say about the drone program without really tying it all together.

Like why are contractor loopholes any different than just setting up a LLC other than avoiding the bad PR?
That company that leaked more oil 5 months after the first leak somehow didn't have to pay again but Oliver didn't give any details as to why.
Some farmers had salinated land, but that was totally brushed over and no details given at all, like is it ok for miners to just destroy someone else's farmland in Dakota and not have to pay a cent?

I don't live in the US so maybe I'm missing some obvious things but this episode just seemed to be about throwing as much poo poo at mining in South Dakota as it could in the allocated time rather than building a case for why it's bad. At least with the drone episode there was the underlying human element about kids being afraid of the skies, this was just a grab bag of random bad things about mining in South Dakota with a lot of those bad things not even really being explained.

North Dakota. South Dakota is filled with a bunch of carved rock worshipping hay seeds. Honestly, this episode went easy on the industry. There have been cases of fracking fluid being disposed in cracked wells next to aquifers for major towns, the governor expedited drilling on sacred ground immediately following "campaign contributions" from the very same oil company, and waste disposal companies dump sewage into the Missorui river.
Still, the local new stations will be tripping over themselves to defend the state government from these facts.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

They've taken over major cities, I think they could scrape together a few newer models for their propaganda videos given how common Hiluxes are in third world desert shitholes. Doesn't mean Japan is secretly shipping dozens of brand new trucks to them or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IRQ posted:

They've taken over major cities, I think they could scrape together a few newer models for their propaganda videos given how common Hiluxes are in third world desert shitholes. Doesn't mean Japan is secretly shipping dozens of brand new trucks to them or something.

Which is valid. I think the question just came up for them to verify that is the case.

• Locked thread