Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU

OhDearGodNo posted:

Refund issued, I'm completely free of this poo poo.

e: gonna blow half of it on warhams.

:stonklol:

I was considering going for the refund on what I have left, but I decided to test the reddit waters first. My inbox is blowing the gently caress up. I had no idea the gray market was still this active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

OhDearGodNo posted:

"I just got back my money from those scam artists... welp time to give it to the morally bankrupts idiots"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

2DCAT posted:

So... the last start up i invested in also turned to crowdfunding. Per the agreement, anything over the requested amount was considered 'profit' and as such, we got a percent. With that said, it's sounding like CR fleeced you. If they were seeking $20m, and they're at $90m now... the return on your investment should be astronomical. Similarly, I would have expected that they would have paid back your initial investment by now too (why haven't they? they've already made $70m in 'profit'). How do you not have your initial investment plus like 300% of what you put down on it back already? This entire thing is...odd... maybe video games are different than tangible goods? *shrugs*

Yeah, even with stretch goals the target for development cost is the target for development cost.

I don't actually see any reason why video games should be different in principle to any other pre-ordered physical good. Obviously there are practical differences in the product development cycle, but nothing that shouldn't mean that pre-orders equal revenue.

CIG are selling product. It's product that they'll never be able to deliver, but that's why as a good capitalist you should be taking your share and running for the door.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Hahaha, bitcoin jpegs are going up uP UP !!

(Not quite to the moon though, what with the game not existing and all.)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

OhDearGodNo posted:

has the death thread taught you nothing

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, even with stretch goals the target for development cost is the target for development cost.

I don't actually see any reason why video games should be different in principle to any other pre-ordered physical good. Obviously there are practical differences in the product development cycle, but nothing that shouldn't mean that pre-orders equal revenue.

CIG are selling product. It's product that they'll never be able to deliver, but that's why as a good capitalist you should be taking your share and running for the door.

LOL, i ended up editing my post because I didn't want to have a serious post/discussion. But yeah, when I've done my VC stuff in the past it was 1) How long til I get my money back (we'll say a year) 2) I can safely get back 16% in the markets, explain to me how i get my money back plus 30% (or more, depending on how risky). I also want my money back before anyone else... so if they want to 'expand the scope' or any BS like that... cool, but i want my drat money back first plus my 30%. If they said they needed $20m to make a game and they're at $90m.... plus doing stuff like buying a $20k espresso machine and other crazy stuff. I'd be calling my lawyer because they're obviously profitable and they're doing stuff other than giving me my drat money.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Onmi posted:

"I just got back my money from those scam artists... welp time to give it to the morally bankrupts idiots"

Yeah. At least blow it on FFG X-Wing or something.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Bootcha is legit.

bootcha pls dont kill yourself. itll be okay...somehow... :smith:

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Doctor Schnabel posted:

No it wont, don't lie to him.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
All we need is CROBERTS in here and we would have the best thread that ever threaded.

pgabz:

Where is my sexbot army transport, it has been like half a day. Quit loving off with my money.

Wait. is that a Samsung espresso machine?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Doctor Schnabel posted:

I think allegations of fraud and embezzlement justify a more serious inquiry.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

2DCAT posted:

If they said they needed $20m to make a game and they're at $90m.... plus doing stuff like buying a $20k espresso machine and other crazy stuff. I'd be calling my lawyer because they're obviously profitable and they're doing stuff other than giving me my drat money.

I'd at least want some signed posters.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

:slick:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

someone edit this gif so that Wingman gets bounced out of the frame into a better game

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

Onmi posted:

This was on the cults Reddit

:barf:

They got it bang on for the backers :)

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In general they do, but especially if you are a VC. It's possible that something illegal happened with your money. I'd sure as hell want to know about it. I only invest in SPDR ETFs. 8 to 15% is fine with me.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Bought in for like 30$ back in early 2014.

Loaded up the launcher today for a laugh, due to reading this thread, for the first time since like nov/dec 2014, was greeted with the prospect of a 6-7 hour download that completely hogs every single drop of my internet bandwidth for the duration of the process. Said "no thanks" and uninstalled.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

what the gently caress is up with fatso's t-rex arms?

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

Tarranon posted:

even beyond all these fun insider allegations the major press should be holding cig to the fire for the fan fiction they write every time a new ship come out. anyone with two brain cells to rub together and no vested interest in this scam thinks the feature creep is absolutely loving ridiculous, and it just gets worse every time they demo a new ship

but they're not even doing that. why? because gaming journalism is a joke, people who write for them are jokes, their self esteem is a joke, and this all equally applies to the escapist.

oh for the record so is Derek smart, but the key distinction is that he is funny.

You people are working on old info. There have been no new stretch goals for about a year now. 64mil I believe, compared to being at 93mil now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

So the real jpeg name wasn't released yet? Beer, did you lie to us?

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

Erenthal posted:

Bought in for like 30$ back in early 2014.

Loaded up the launcher today for a laugh, due to reading this thread, for the first time since like nov/dec 2014, was greeted with the prospect of a 6-7 hour download that completely hogs every single drop of my internet bandwidth for the duration of the process. Said "no thanks" and uninstalled.

It saved you from the buggy experience of watching your spaceship turn around in space. Would probably have more fun on the forums or watching spaceship infomercials.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Agrajag posted:

He's just not lifting his elbows. It's a horrifying level of obesity where the natural resting point for your upper arm is at a 45 degree angle to the ground.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Gryphon0468 posted:

You people are working on old info. There have been no new stretch goals for about a year now. 64mil I believe, compared to being at 93mil now.

we have always been at war with eastasia

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

brakanjan posted:

It saved you from the buggy experience of watching your spaceship turn around in space. Would probably have more fun on the forums or watching spaceship infomercials.

I reinstalled Elite Dangerous instead. I bought into that during the same time, when I was really into space ship sims, but never really played more than a few hours until now. Tbh it's not really mindblowing fun, but it's okay and it's a game I can actually play as of this moment.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Erenthal posted:

I reinstalled Elite Dangerous instead. I bought into that during the same time, when I was really into space ship sims, but never really played more than a few hours until now. Tbh it's not really mindblowing fun, but it's okay and it's a game I can actually play as of this moment.

dont forget your buttkicker.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tarranon posted:

or more like adults with real jobs that have real disposable income pay for poo poo

like i make a deece five figgies doing it work and im going to jack off to the scraps posted on tube sites, oh, like i can't afford to toss a few benjis on my hobbies :rolleyes:

Hahahahah.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Space Tittiesen.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Onmi posted:

This was on the cults Reddit

:barf:
I don't know about you guys, but if there's one impression I got from the novel length letters from Ortwin and Chris, it was one of staunch professionalism in the face of ridiculous, shrill accusations.

And not, you know, the rantings of a couple of coked up lunatics who quite frankly doth protested just a little too loving much.

ehzorg
May 31, 2011

all in all, just another sheet in the roll

Erenthal posted:

... that completely hogs every single drop of my internet bandwidth for the duration of the process. Said "no thanks" and uninstalled.

There's a setting in the launcher to rate-limit the download, upper-right corner somewhere I think.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Agrajag posted:

I just want to know how the gently caress he reaches his rear end to wipe? Or does he walk around the office stinking of poo poo? Do his colleagues predict his approach due to strength of odour and feedback from him walking?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

tooterfish posted:

I don't know about you guys, but if there's one impression I got from the novel length letters from Ortwin and Chris, it was one of staunch professionalism in the face of ridiculous, shrill accusations.

And not, you know, the rantings of a couple of coked up lunatics who quite frankly doth protested just a little too loving much.

Psssht.

I know when I get a mighty WALL OF TEXT in my email box that is indeed going to intimidate the hell out of me. I have to close my office door and yell it at myself so i can get the full effect as the writer intends.

jeez people its about immersion.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Xaerael posted:

I just want to know how the gently caress he reaches his rear end to wipe? Or does he walk around the office stinking of poo poo? Do his colleagues predict his approach due to strength of odour and feedback from him walking?

Goon lore speaks of a tread that tried to answer the fat people making GBS threads question..... that only lead to madness.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Offices buy coffee machines. Coffee machines cost that much. That's a reasonable expense. You need to provide your employees with some amenities so that they can work productively. Many people aren't aware of how much money companies spend on stuff like this and will lose their poo poo for no reason, so a full disclosure of financials isn't a great idea.

Seriously, most offices have a coffee machine. There isn't anything wrong with this. The one in my office costs like $17k iirc.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BexGu posted:

Goon lore speaks of a tread that tried to answer the fat people making GBS threads question..... that only lead to madness.

Hate leads to madness, madness leads to fecal lasagne.

Also hilarity.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

@Dsmart posts an average of 178.69 tweets per day.

We estimate they spend 227 hours per month using Twitter.

I spend a lot of my time shitposting, but that has to be some kind of record.

Also, what if the ship's name was something else and after the reveal CIG changes it to Vindicator? :tinfoil:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Offices buy coffee machines. Coffee machines cost that much. That's a reasonable expense. You need to provide your employees with some amenities so that they can work productively. Many people aren't aware of how much money companies spend on stuff like this and will lose their poo poo for no reason, so a full disclosure of financials isn't a great idea.

Seriously, most offices have a coffee machine. There isn't anything wrong with this. The one in my office costs like $17k iirc.

Most people in a position to be reading financials probably realise that though. This is the problem with terrible nerds blowing a grand on jpegs and thinking they're investment bankers now.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

Xaerael posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crfGXmxJ1vM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Cao Ni Ma posted:

most offices are not publicly funded

• Locked thread