Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Sigma X posted:

..nevermind, apparently they do wanna be twitter. It's added to your username automatically.

My comments: The UI is bad and the devs should feel bad. The entire separation between friends LIST and friends VIDEOS is annoying. The way going to groups leads to you an intro to groups window rather than the group(s) you have added until you swipe it away is bad, too. And WAY too many notifications. If I'm in a 1,000 person group, do you think I want my phone vibrating every time someone new watches it? No.
Leaving the notifications on their defaults is way bad, and I should have given y'all a heads-up on that. If I'm in the app and swipe to the right (meaning dragging my thumb from right to left on the screen) it gets me to the list of groups that I'm in, no intro or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ssjonizuka posted:

notifications are configurable.

And should be off by default.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, when I swipe down on my friend videos or friends list to refresh, the app just gives me the spinner forever. Did they DO any UI testing outside of their own team?

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 8, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Adiabatic posted:

If by Will you mean Wes, I want to be friends with you too :3:

If not, gently caress you guy!

I mean Wes because apparently I can't remember names for the amount of time it takes me to get from that app to this one and tap out a few words.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sigma X posted:

And should be off by default.
Meh, that's more personal taste for me. I, like you, got annoyed with them constantly popping up but it took just a few seconds to turn em off.

Try turning off "Group autoplay" in the settings, that might solve your group weirdness with the intro video and whatever.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Please rename someone to Mark Vidku thanks

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

scuz posted:

Leaving the notifications on their defaults is way bad, and I should have given y'all a heads-up on that. If I'm in the app and swipe to the right (meaning dragging my thumb from right to left on the screen) it gets me to the list of groups that I'm in, no intro or anything.

I've added you.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I agree that

1. The process of joining a group is a pain in the rear end, especially if you don't have a chat thread to guide you through it. Groups need a better way of adding new members.

2. Notification defaults are super bad and the default settings should be reconfigured

3. The Friends/Groups interface is confusing until you find the menu at the top left. Maybe point new users up there.

That said, it's way better than snapchat already and I'm using the gently caress out of it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol, this is like when snapchat first came out, you guys are app whores.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

leica posted:

Yes I am. Added @superducky

oh nice I was in even before I made the post!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Joined as @TusenTakk

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Scuz you asked, I'm on an HTC one m7 running completely stock (well, rooted, but no adblockers or host file edit stuff) with whatever the latest HTC sense software is 6.23?)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sigma X posted:

Did they DO any UI testing outside of their own team?

I have said this so many god drat times. About so many apps.
"did they do any QA at all?"
"did they even test this? or do anything except make sure it compiled and then release it?"

I haven't tried vidku yet but I break the gently caress out of every piece of software I use so when you see a flood of bug reports, I'm sorry.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
If this keeps going I might just make a separate thread to keep from clogging up the chat thread. Put like a how-to in the OP and whatnot. We'll see!

leica posted:

Meh, if strangers on the internet can help poke holes in an app to make it better, I'm all for it.

SuperDucky posted:

Yes I am. Added @superducky

oh nice I was in even before I made the post!
Added :clint:

Tusen Takk posted:

Joined as @TusenTakk
Be mah fren :saddowns:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

scuz posted:

If this keeps going I might just make a separate thread to keep from clogging up the chat thread. Put like a how-to in the OP and whatnot. We'll see!

Meh, if strangers on the internet can help poke holes in an app to make it better, I'm all for it.

Added :clint:

Be mah fren :saddowns:

i think i accepted it! :D

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tusen Takk posted:

i think i accepted it! :D
You did! You're in! Don't be shy with feedback, they're good with feedback.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Okay so you can friend people from the group list, but after clicking the "add friend" icon, which turns to a pink circle (what the gently caress does a pink circle mean? The rest of the app teaches us to associate a pink circle with an active recording), then you have to click the tiny "save" icon in the top right. An icon, BTW, that is the "leave group" icon until you try to add friends.

This is bad and wrong. You've trained people to stay away from the top right in the group page because it's the "leave group" button (and with how groups are invite only, this is extremely risky to even be up in that corner, because you may never get back in), and an "add friend" button turning into a circle makes it seem like the action has already taken place.

There's already a UI element that has existed since the beginning of time to signify that you're in the middle of selecting multiple things but still have to accept the changes: a goddamned checkbox.

Seriously, tell your friends that this is kinda poo poo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

scuz posted:

You did! You're in! Don't be shy with feedback, they're good with feedback.

I'm probably one of the few iPhone users in the aigoons group so everything looks and works fine for me and makes sense so far

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also while you're viewing a landscape video, while the UI elements to the bottom/left rotate, the active play/pause icons always stay in portrait orientation. It's a little thing, but I'll say again: SEVENTEEN MILLION DOLLARS

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Okay so you can friend people from the group list, but after clicking the "add friend" icon, which turns to a pink circle (what the gently caress does a pink circle mean? The rest of the app teaches us to associate a pink circle with an active recording), then you have to click the tiny "save" icon in the top right. An icon, BTW, that is the "leave group" icon until you try to add friends.

This is bad and wrong. You've trained people to stay away from the top right in the group page because it's the "leave group" button (and with how groups are invite only, this is extremely risky to even be up in that corner, because you may never get back in), and an "add friend" button turning into a circle makes it seem like the action has already taken place.

There's already a UI element that has existed since the beginning of time to signify that you're in the middle of selecting multiple things but still have to accept the changes: a goddamned checkbox.

Seriously, tell your friends that this is kinda poo poo.

Geirskogul posted:

Also while you're viewing a landscape video, while the UI elements to the bottom/left rotate, the active play/pause icons always stay in portrait orientation. It's a little thing, but I'll say again: SEVENTEEN MILLION DOLLARS
Forwarded all this to my buddy, along with your phone model/version/etc. I'm glad things are working well for others, but UX feedback is really important. And yeah, seventeen million dollars is a lot of money. I have no idea how much it costs to develop an app, but someone out there thought that this was worth quite a bit.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

This app rules hard

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
You have a very pretty dog.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

scuz posted:

Thanks! :3:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Okay I'll stop making GBS threads it up with my dog now

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

scuz posted:

Can you reserve me the username @charles if it isn't already taken? I have a Windows Phone.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
From my bud, who's read all the feedback and is on the engineering staff:

quote:

Great ideas so far, including some things I've been saying as well.
It's incredibly helpful. I love the feedback. Don't pull any punches.
You heard it, folks, lock 'n' load.

CharlesM posted:

Can you reserve me the username @charles if it isn't already taken? I have a Windows Phone.
Junk, sorry, I missed this earlier. There already is a charles, but there's no charlesm!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Soooooo. the boss just blithely sent out an email that we need to conduct a physical inventory of all network-connected hardware - workstations, printers, servers, switches, NAS devices, whatever - and his boss wants it by the end of next week.
I happen to do a twice-weekly report of all workstations in the company, so I know that, at just this location, in just PCs and Macs, we have over 1250 machines. Spread out over a warehouse of I-don't-know-how-many 100s of thousands of square feet. And we'll be responsible for the nearby facilities on top of that. There's four of us here. There's only one guy at several other locations. No structure, schedule, or plan has been forthcoming, just the edict to get it done. And I've not heard how this is going to mix with working trouble tickets.
I may be looking for a new job next week, because I'm flat-out not going to do inventory drudge work.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Geirskogul posted:

I'm willing to bet a not insignificant chunk of that was spend on servers/storage as this thing doesn't seem to delete videos.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

Soooooo. the boss just blithely sent out an email that we need to conduct a physical inventory of all network-connected hardware - workstations, printers, servers, switches, NAS devices, whatever - and his boss wants it by the end of next week.
I happen to do a twice-weekly report of all workstations in the company, so I know that, at just this location, in just PCs and Macs, we have over 1250 machines. Spread out over a warehouse of I-don't-know-how-many 100s of thousands of square feet. And we'll be responsible for the nearby facilities on top of that. There's four of us here. There's only one guy at several other locations. No structure, schedule, or plan has been forthcoming, just the edict to get it done. And I've not heard how this is going to mix with working trouble tickets.
I may be looking for a new job next week, because I'm flat-out not going to do inventory drudge work.

Is stuff going missing?

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Badger does need his own show. Also having met Wes in person, he is this funny irl.

I will get some videos of my drive home in the polluting battle wagon. It's nice outside, so maybe I'll get to see some of the ridiculous cars that Rockville has.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scuz posted:

It's an app for iPhone and Android that my friend's dev team finished yesterday. Think snapchat, only with groups and the ability to unshare videos. The compression and stuff is, in my biased opinion, much faster/higher quality. JOIN US, WON'T YOU? :shepface: https://vidku.com
Sorry, can't. I have an iPhone 4, so I don't have a new enough OS.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I need to see this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vao5rn7OHPo

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tusen Takk posted:

Okay I'll stop making GBS threads it up with my dog now

Don't you dare

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Cellular Suicide posted:

This is amazing: https://github.com/auchenberg/volkswagen

I'm going to save so much time ignoring test failures!

This is loving amazing

Got an email from american apparel this morning(gently caress you, they are the only place that make t-shirts that fit me properly) and they are giving away a "classic" Cadillac!

Here is the url in case anyone wants to enter to win this sweet car!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Allante is actually crazy sweet; each body was assembled by Pininfarina in Italy and then flown using special 747s to Detroit, 56 at a time, to be turned into a car.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

quote:

The name Allanté was selected by General Motors from a list of 1700 computer generated names.

:v:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Allante is actually crazy sweet; each body was assembled by Pininfarina in Italy and then flown using special 747s to Detroit, 56 at a time, to be turned into a car.

It may have awesome body work designed and built by Pininfarina, but the rest was made by General Motors in the 80's.....

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Right, so you take the body and put it on a Fiero.

What's the big deal here?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

In on this Vidku thing as MrChips, I have no idea what I am doing because I have a terrible secret I've been hiding from you guys for 10 years.

AI, I am an idiot.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Joined the whole Vidku thing as NoiseComplaint. Still use snapchat constantly so why not give this a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

MrChips posted:

In on this Vidku thing as MrChips, I have no idea what I am doing because I have a terrible secret I've been hiding from you guys for 10 years.

AI, I am an idiot.

Upper left menu (three horizontal bars) solves all

• Locked thread