Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

The thing to remember is the He112A0's gun fires really slowly and every round is a tracer. There's no extra, invisible rounds between the bright ones you spit out. The HEF rounds, though, have ridiculous accuracy and velocity, especially for such an early craft. It should only take 3-4 direct hits (maybe less) to burn or destroy an aircraft.

Shouldn't even take that many, when matched against the planes of the era / b.r.

Having done it before, a goon squad flying all A-0s can completely decimate the opposition by themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That said, it's one of my favorite low level aircraft and the one I got my best ever RB kills-per-match in at 7. And it'll do it on one ammo load because you hardly ever waste bullets with it and the gun's nose mounted. With practice, the He-112A0 is a wonderful troll aircraft.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

quote:

Now, Quantitative Matchmaking will work for all battles, which are created with a maximum BR spread of +/- 1.0 and will limit the amount of players with a maximum BR in these battles to 25% in the team.

Thus, a previously 4.0-5.0 BR session could feature a majority of vehicles with a maximum possible BR making it difficult for BR 4.0 players, from now on players with a BR of 5.0 upwards in these battles will be not be greater than 25% of the team. The same applies to all battles - both ground forces and aircraft!

Good luck on the battlefield!

Important:

the 25% limit will be applied to all battles at all ranks and BRs within a 1.0 BR spread ONLY
for 7.0-7.7 GF battles, the limit will remain 37.5%

37.5% cunts getting all the kills.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It's funny when they say King Tigers and such can fight T-54s and T-10Ms just fine, they just need to not be in front of them.

Like I wish we could force them to play 100 games in the KT against decent people in those tanks and see what's actually reality in the vast percentage of situations, especially on their lovely selection of maps.

But no, let's balance on blind dumb luck and the possibility of one team making more mistakes than the other.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 8, 2015

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

MrLonghair posted:

37.5% cunts getting all the kills.

I dunno better than the 1% owning all the wealth IRL amirite

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

bacon flaps posted:

I dunno better than the 1% owning all the wealth IRL amirite

#OccupyMozdok

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, they want to implement a special system to ensure superprops and early jets don't fight Korean war jets. Almost like some kind of rating for the ability those units have in battle. That would be quite an innovation to add to the game! :downs:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
It's almost as if early jets and KW jets should have been separated from the start.. Oh my.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So they've finally essentially separated jets from props after all this time, just gotta unfuck top tier tank games Gaijin, you can do it.

That being said the Armoured Warfare open beta starts today so probably worth checking that out while Gaijin gets their poo poo together.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
It comforts me to know that so many of you beautiful goons are as frustrated with this game as I am(mostly ground forces). It's not one specific bug or balance problem. The core gameplay is still far better than WoT or anything else out there. But it is a never ending cycle of incompetence and handwaving away longstanding issues by the devs. It reminds me a lot of how MWO was developed.

Please let us hold each other tightly and pray to Xenu that the developers will actually start fixing some stuff, instead of piling new bad mechanics and balance issues onto old bad mechanics and balance issues. Amen.

P.S. Russian Bias in ground forces is real. :tinfoil:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Basically consider the He112 A-0s to be a derp gun of mediocre damage and excellent ballistics; you can't really use it like a traditional 20mm where filling the air in front of a guy with shells in high-deflection shooting is likely to gently caress him up. You've gotta actually hit him with each tracer like it's a 37mm+ derp gun. One that shoots nice and flat and basically isn't subject to recoil due to the low RoF on a 20mm, so when you DO get lined up for a good shot, it's fine to hold it down and watch the fun happen.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I agree, hitting the enemy is the top priority when using guns.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

The German P-47D, I just got a coupon on it for 30% off, no idea if it's worth it though. I've yet to take German or American air beyond tier one since I've been focusing on Russian and British stuff. Worth it or should I give it a go?

Edit: Oh I also have a coupon on a Russian T-III but I'm just assuming that'd be a waste of money, since I'm asking anyway though.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 8, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fly the american to decide. The best part of it back when were the air spawns which were taken away. It's better now than last patch since there's more in 3.7 than a 410, similar to when it was the best (with an air spawn).

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

crabcakes66 posted:

It comforts me to know that so many of you beautiful goons are as frustrated with this game as I am(mostly ground forces). It's not one specific bug or balance problem. The core gameplay is still far better than WoT or anything else out there. But it is a never ending cycle of incompetence and handwaving away longstanding issues by the devs. It reminds me a lot of how MWO was developed.

Please let us hold each other tightly and pray to Xenu that the developers will actually start fixing some stuff, instead of piling new bad mechanics and balance issues onto old bad mechanics and balance issues. Amen.

Yeah, it's really frustrating watching them fall on their faces with stuff that should be slam dunk. I'll probably play AW for a bit too, but it's probably going to be too WoTy. I'll be back for brit tanks at least.

ArchRanger posted:

Edit: Oh I also have a coupon on a Russian T-III but I'm just assuming that'd be a waste of money, since I'm asking anyway though.

T-III is great if you cover it in the PEANUTS logo so it looks vaguely dunkelgelb-y and pretend to drive in formation with idiots and shoot them in the back.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So, quantitative matchmaking now goes across all BR. Let's see how this works out now.
http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/270375-global-changes-for-matchmaking/

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The Bf.110 C has an interesting new classification

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ArchRanger posted:

It's a decent tank in AB, nothing special It's a war crime in RB once you get a camo other than the standard "I'M A COMMIE, SHOOT ME!" olive green.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Enourmo posted:

Open Beta Test. So basically the game will be "officially ready for release" soon.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awarthunder.com+beta+-forum+-live

There is, for all intents and purposes, absolutely no mention that War Thunder is a beta on their main site. The game hasn't been in beta for ages and is "officially released", it's just a meaningless marketing term.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Did they ever justify having to unlock Parts/Extinguishers beyond 'gently caress you that's why?" I remember them at least acknowledging that players were upset about it.
I believe that about, oh, half a year ago the War Thunder Council (hahahaha remember that loving thing?) brought up parts/FPE being essential items gated behind the unlock system, and the official response was "we are aware of the issue and are trialing a number of fixes". We haven't had word since. :iiam:

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 9, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Huh, they stripped the extra two .50s off the low tier Buffalos.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the yak-15p is now br 6.7

0.3 below the ho 229

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Hahaha I love that. I was just reading the Q&A question where a guy was like "Hey why's the Kikka so high BR?" and the dev replied it was a known issue that'd be fixed. Apparently by making the Yak much worse!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There are two kinds of games in the Cannon Chaika. Games where I do something stupid, gently caress up, and snap my wings off, and games where I make ace in a day. There is no in between with that thing.

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

ArchRanger posted:

The German P-47D, I just got a coupon on it for 30% off, no idea if it's worth it though. I've yet to take German or American air beyond tier one since I've been focusing on Russian and British stuff. Worth it or should I give it a go?

German p47 is a goon favorite. Very good American plane without the American teams! Hitlerbolt rules. :cool:

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
They made a surprisingly well vested devblog on how long range visibility works in 3D games and revealed some really spiffy tricks that should improve long range visibility of aircraft (visual, so mainly SB) in 1.53 (as far as I understand they are replacing cheaty "dots" with cheaty, upscaled silhouettes of the planes). They are also reworking the spotting system in RB/AB tonks, while making ULQ slightly less advantageous at least tree and bush wise (grass will stay optional).

Along with SB aircraft being permanently turned into Enduring Conflict, this might make me really dust off the joystick again.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Spotting sounds... Interesting. For RB I would be mildly concerned the changes are unnecessary; you already have hiding tanks based on how well the tank is actually hiding, and making tanks literally invisible is one of the things I loving hated about WoT. It might improve arcade battles, though.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

spectralent posted:

Spotting sounds... Interesting. For RB I would be mildly concerned the changes are unnecessary; you already have hiding tanks based on how well the tank is actually hiding, and making tanks literally invisible is one of the things I loving hated about WoT. It might improve arcade battles, though.

For RB the changes to markers don't matter, but some of the other stuff is really important - for example, the stuff about detection sounds great; even if your crew is completely untrained you'll be able to physically see every tank in your field of view out to ~750m, which means no more "oops the server decided this tank is obscured from view so gently caress you it disappeared" which has been a big problem until now. Also automated messages marking positions of enemies spotted/friendlies taking fire should be really good provided they don't clutter up the message log and map too much. And finally it looks like they've fixed the :qq: ULQ exploit :qq: so people won't be able to rely on bitching about that any more.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

BBJoey posted:

so people won't be able to rely on bitching about that any more.

Oh yes they will.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Yeah but now I will feel justified in responding with even more reaction gifs. :coal:

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream

BBJoey posted:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awarthunder.com+beta+-forum+-live

There is, for all intents and purposes, absolutely no mention that War Thunder is a beta on their main site. The game hasn't been in beta for ages and is "officially released", it's just a meaningless marketing term.

I believe that about, oh, half a year ago the War Thunder Council (hahahaha remember that loving thing?) brought up parts/FPE being essential items gated behind the unlock system, and the official response was "we are aware of the issue and are trialing a number of fixes". We haven't had word since. :iiam:

Yeah, that's why when i read the Open beta comment, my face slammed into my keyboard spelling WTF on my forehead... Here and there they'll pull that statement out when poo poo hits the fan and people get really mad. "Is only Beta, y u heff to be mad?"

And oh god, the WT Council. How wonderfully that worked out.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

In a moment of weakness and great shame I got a decent deal on a warthog and bought it for this dumb game. What are my options for rudder control as this stick doesn't twist and I'm not a cool pedal owning guy?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Hambilderberglar posted:

In a moment of weakness and great shame I got a decent deal on a warthog and bought it for this dumb game. What are my options for rudder control as this stick doesn't twist and I'm not a cool pedal owning guy?

If you're going that deep into hardware you may as well get/make rudder pedals and a TrackIR.

edit: Really though, there's hardly any sideslip in this game so you're not really losing much if you aren't min/maxing your rudder unless you are doing summadat serious pilot poo poo against experienced players. This happens like once every few rounds at best and really you can just run away if you don't have the advantage because SB vision is limited to the cockpit. If someone can track you that well they can probably outfly you anyway. Proper rudder usage will definitely let you cheese wins where you're matched up against a similarly agile plane and you can sometimes even straight up clown inexperienced players no matter what they're flying but a lot of this has just as much to do with situational awareness and knowing what moves work at the right time.

The thing you will mostly use your rudder for are fine tuning your aim and forcing spins but generally even in a more serious sim I'll still just lean on the rudder a lot more than I need to because :rice:

As for TrackIR, I personally don't even use it. I just have my mouse in my left hand and use a thumb button on the joystick to both activate mouselook and snap back to center when I let go.

Thief fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 9, 2015

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Thief posted:

If you're going that deep into hardware you may as well get/make rudder pedals and a TrackIR.

edit: Really though, there's hardly any sideslip in this game so you're not really losing much if you aren't min/maxing your rudder unless you are doing summadat serious pilot poo poo against experienced players. This happens like once every few rounds at best and really you can just run away if you don't have the advantage because SB vision is limited to the cockpit. If someone can track you that well they can probably outfly you anyway. Proper rudder usage will definitely let you cheese wins where you're matched up against a similarly agile plane and you can sometimes even straight up clown inexperienced players no matter what they're flying but a lot of this has just as much to do with situational awareness and knowing what moves work at the right time.

The thing you will mostly use your rudder for are fine tuning your aim and forcing spins but generally even in a more serious sim I'll still just lean on the rudder a lot more than I need to because :rice:

As for TrackIR, I personally don't even use it. I just have my mouse in my left hand and use a thumb button on the joystick to both activate mouselook and snap back to center when I let go.
I asked because I have been tooling around in test flight and experimenting with it and the MC202 has the tendency to want to point left (This is presumably prop torque) and fly not-level.
If this isn't a rudder problem I assume I need to trim to to level the aircraft out and get it pointing straight? What about counteracting the prop torque on takeoff? With mouse joystick I have to rudder hard to not steer the plane into an AA emplacement.

As for fine tuning aim, I've definitely noticed this is a problem, can/should I bind rudder to something else while I sort out the pedal situation or just suck up and deal with it while I learn how to fly planes all over again?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So I've finally gotten the T-10M. This thing is just goddamn unfair when you get into 6.7 matches. :getin:

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 9, 2015

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Man the vision system is so hosed up. Just had an invisible Leopard drive around and kill me because there was a fence between us. I could hear it but couldn't see it :psyduck:

Maybe it wasn't even the fence. The replay shows the vision I had:

http://fat.gfycat.com/PartialTinyGoldenretriever.webm

fake edit: being able to view embedded webm's with SA needful is p good, I recommend it just for that.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 9, 2015

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Heliosicle posted:

Man the vision system is so hosed up. Just had an invisible Leopard drive around and kill me because there was a fence between us. I could hear it but couldn't see it :psyduck:

I have been watching as a tank shot me to death, able to see the muzzle flash and the shells as they flew over to hit my tank but with the vehicle itself completely invisible. Utterly infuriating.

EmDuck
Feb 16, 2013

Heliosicle posted:

More of a problem with the engine's render optimization than a vision system, a really annoying bug where some specific fences on maps count as a building for it instead of a fence so the engine decides not to render it since it shouldn't be visible. Its the same issue that causes tanks to render only a bit after driving past a corner in some areas.
Its one of those bugs that Gaijin seems to really take their time to fix it, every now and then a patch will improve on it and then the next one will screw it all up again.

BBJoey posted:

It was a complaint all the way back to when tanks were in CBT. Eventually Gaijin did improve on it with tow cables and allowing any part to be repaired on a cap point or spawn area, then for some odd reason they removed the bit about the spawn area and later on changed cap point positions to make the system pretty much useless.
The people in charge of things like BRs and gameplay design seem to be made out of a couple of people with good ideas and like a dozen more with the worst ideas that take every good idea and sooner or later make it terrible.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It sounds like 1.53 might fix the server not allowing a tank to be visible on your end, so there may still be hope :unsmith:

EmDuck posted:

It was a complaint all the way back to when tanks were in CBT. Eventually Gaijin did improve on it with tow cables and allowing any part to be repaired on a cap point or spawn area, then for some odd reason they removed the bit about the spawn area and later on changed cap point positions to make the system pretty much useless.
Oh believe me I know, if you go back through the hundreds of shitposts I've made in this thread, I've been very vocal about how utterly shite the parts/fpe system is, particularly in comparison to the plane upgrade system where you are 100% functional stock and upgrades just marginally increase performance or give extra options in terms of bombload, gunpods etc. What I was referring to was when the Gaijin-appointed 'community council' specifically asked what they were doing about the problem, and the response was that they had a number of ideas, including limited repair/extinguish functionality without the upgrades, but nothing was set in stone yet. That was half a year ago now. :rolleye:

The worst part is that the solution is so utterly simple: without parts, you can only repair to orange 'health', and without fpe you get a single extinguish. Enough to keep you going while still making the upgrades worth it.

At this point the only rational explanation I can see is that they legitimately believe that people buying GEs to spend on parts/fpe is a large enough part of their income stream that it's worth alienating a significant part of their playerbase in addition to new players who get turned off by a shot dinging their barrel rendering their tank worthless, which I view as utterly absurd but hey, it's Russia; they tried to hit a target in Syria with a cruise missile and it landed two countries away instead.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Patrat posted:

I have been watching as a tank shot me to death, able to see the muzzle flash and the shells as they flew over to hit my tank but with the vehicle itself completely invisible. Utterly infuriating.

White Rock Fortress back in Dec/Jan was like this for me about one in ever 5 matches. I'd have to constantly jump from the commander's view to the gunner's view to "reacquire" my targets as they would just disappear and I would see muzzle flashes and rounds coming towards me.

Speaking of unfair.

Just had a round in Kursk where My Leo 1 was somehow in a BR 4-5 match! The highest BR tank I saw in the whole game (my team included) was a Panther D. So for the whole map I just sat on top of the highest point I could and rained HEAT and Sabot rounds down on T-34's, IS-1's, Panzer IV's and the very rare Panther D or Tiger H. As soon as I saw a puff of smoke indicating that someone was trying to get my range I would just put the crosshairs directly on his turret and send a Sabot round through his driver, gunner, commander, and sometimes set his engine on fire. By the end I had 17 kills, but I'm pretty sure about 6 of those were AI tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

crabcakes66 posted:

I think that's an unfair comparison. MWO online consists of a lead stubbornly sticking to terrible design choices and a wasted year of not actually doing any work on the game.

Gaijn make... odd choices and give few fucks about what the playerbase want, but they're actively working on the game and we're consistently getting new content.

• Locked thread