Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
Yes, there needs to be an anchor (usually webbing around a pinch point or rock chock) to rig your ropes from. There are some techniques to retrieve both rope and anchor, which is called "ghosting" in canyoneering circles. But ghosting techniques are specialized and many, IMO, involve a higher degree of risk. Look up the fiddlestick or sandtrap if you're interested in that topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yeah, as far as I can tell it's going to be fire-making supplies, a knife, and some snacks, from what past people have told me. I would probably fail the course if I just did a bunch of drugs. I was considering taking it last winter, but it conflicted with another course I needed so I had to skip it. When they went out it was about 0C overnight. I was pissed. The course has also caused some friends to become enemies, because I guess you have to pair up, and someone I know had a partner who kept waking her to put more branches on the fire instead of doing it herself. I believe that was the same class that found cougar prints nearby after they woke up.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Spime Wrangler posted:

You wouldn't want a life straw in the winter. The coffee can is there to melt snow in, and that's why you always bring a metal cup on winter excursions. Otherwise you're putting yourself in danger trying to find running water and retrieve it from under the ice.

Oh gently caress, you're right. :doh:

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeah, as far as I can tell it's going to be fire-making supplies, a knife, and some snacks, from what past people have told me. I would probably fail the course if I just did a bunch of drugs.

Pseudo-ephedrine is an over the counter drug for nasal congestion. It's also a mild stimulant, as the molecule is closely related to amphetamine. I was looking for a solution to an hypothetical problem (one night at -40 with a coffee can of supplies), I wasn't suggesting that you should take drugs. Sorry for the confusion.

theroachman fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 7, 2015

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

someone I know had a partner who kept waking her to put more branches on the fire instead of doing it herself
Holy poo poo.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

theroachman posted:

I wasn't suggesting that you should take drugs. Sorry for the confusion.

Well, they do call it Bolivian marching powder for a reason.......

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I'm going camping again this weekend. It's October and I'm getting pretty tired of this "90s in the day, mid 60s at night" nonsense that Texas has going on this year.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Hungryjack posted:

I'm going camping again this weekend. It's October and I'm getting pretty tired of this "90s in the day, mid 60s at night" nonsense that Texas has going on this year.

I was expecting cold temps at night for my Sierra trip in September and it probably got down to mid 30's at the absolute coldest, it was weird. I definitely expected it to be below freezing, and instead we spent most nights nearly overheating

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.
So me and my girlfriend went to the dolomites in Italy for hiking and via feratta last month.

As you can see we got some mixed weather but it was amazing fun. I would really recommend it if your looking for something more challenging than scrambling but that doesn't need all the gear and skills associated with sport or trad climbing.

FIrst day doing the Via Ferrata Marino Bianchi

Second day doing Via Ferrata delle Trincee

Then the snow got in the way of us doing feratta, but it did look pretty awesome

Last day doing Via Ferrata Michielli Strobel

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Yet another benefit of my location:

I have a campsite booked in the mountains, a walk-in site next to a river, I'm praying to all the gods of all of human history there are no clouds.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I saw this on Gawker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWTnV8uZ4ys

Something to think about next time you hike across a small suspension bridge.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Hungryjack posted:

I saw this on Gawker.

Something to think about next time you hike across a small suspension bridge.

I might always think about that when I'm crossing, but I didn't need to see it!

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I think about that every time I cross one because I'm a fatass

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There is a particular piece of MontBell clothing that works perfectly for me, is there a cheaper place to hunt for such items than their retail stores?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

There is a particular piece of MontBell clothing that works perfectly for me, is there a cheaper place to hunt for such items than their retail stores?

If you are after a particular item and not just gear in general I would start by looking at steapandcheap.com, campsaver.com, and campmor.com and then looking for a coupon code to any of them.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
On the subject of canyoneering, what's the best way to get a start in that field? I've tried looking for groups in my area, but their events for beginners are pretty uncommon. Is it worth it to pay for a classes or are there better options?

A Horse Named Mandy fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 10, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Aurora predictions didn't hold up. I barely saw anything. Lots of clouds, they didn't reach as far south as hoped. We were up until nearly 5 a.m. watching for them.

Northern Lights I guess. by Jenn, on Flickr

Sort of Northern Lights and Yamnuska by Jenn, on Flickr

The few times the skies did clear up, we were treated to some great views from the campsite, thanks to the lack of moon. Slightly out of focus due to drunken photography.

Milky Way and Andromeda by Jenn, on Flickr

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Another weekend, another backpacking trip. This time, I headed out to Lost Maples State Park in central Texas. The weather was nice and i was actually able to comfortably spend the night in my sleeping bag while hammock camping.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
After a rainy Saturday the weather cleared up around seattle yesterday. We decided to go for a short day hike and see how our pup would handle it.

We headed towards Skykomish and tried a short 5 mike hike to a lake. We got started late and our pup is still pretty young so I didn't set any expectations.

The trail started after quite a bit of driving on rough forest service roads. Pretty damp after the rain yesterday and very rutty but the pup handled it like a champ. He doesn't quite like puddles of water yet though. We were within a third of a mile to the lake and he decided enough was enough and refused to go any further. He even started to dig and den up for the night beneath a log while my wife and I had a snack.

It was late so we just turned back and decided to return another time. He was cold and tired so I figured the easiest thing to do was put him in my pack. He fell asleep in minutes and woke up about a quarter mile from the car.

Can't wait until he's old enough to backpack with me. Looking at picking up a used sleeping bag and trimming/sewing it smaller for the pup.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 12, 2015

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Tigren posted:

I just finished through hiking the trail on day 150. That section was gorgeous. In fact, I'd say the clear days in Washington were the most beautiful on trail. The wet and rainy days, though, were probably the worst.

Not enough love going on in here. Did you do an instagram or blog?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Verman posted:

Looking at picking up a used sleeping bag and trimming/sewing it smaller for the pup.
This is an amazing idea. I'd suggest training him at home with it and getting him used to it before taking it out though. You could also just us a wool blanket I suppose, the dog may not enjoy being restricted in a small bag.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

My 20-pounder just crawls into my mummy bag when it gets cold. Might be a bit tougher with a Vizsla though. I say get a regular bag from a resale shop and let him trash it out.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Aurora predictions didn't hold up. I barely saw anything. Lots of clouds, they didn't reach as far south as hoped. We were up until nearly 5 a.m. watching for them.

Northern Lights I guess. by Jenn, on Flickr

Sort of Northern Lights and Yamnuska by Jenn, on Flickr

The few times the skies did clear up, we were treated to some great views from the campsite, thanks to the lack of moon. Slightly out of focus due to drunken photography.

Milky Way and Andromeda by Jenn, on Flickr

Awesome pics Picnic Princess! Really impressive for being drunk too! I've always wanted to get pics like that at night but I never bring anything but my phone or a beater point and shoot.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Katabatic has some stuff on sale.
http://katabaticgear.com/shop/category/sale-shelf/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Hell yeah, star photos! Been doing them on my trips lately as well. I've actually been planning my camping around new moon phases and finding good spots with little light pollution just for it. Here's some from the gulf coast of Florida and the East coast near Savannah.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I went up Snowdon with my brother and his wife last week. On the summit, I saw a couple who had obviously made their way up on the train (there is a mountain railway running to the summit of Snowdon). While the man simply had a set of trainers, his partner was starting to totter her way down the mountain on a set of 4 inch platform heels. While they were taking the easier Llanberis route, this still strikes me as by far the worst equipped set of walkers I've ever seen.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

If I go from walking 2-3 miles a day to suddenly walking ~12 miles a day is it a guarantee I'm getting blisters? Or do I have poor fitting shoes/inserts?

This was what happened to me on a recent trip to Japan.

I was wearing well worn shoes with custom orthotics and merino wool socks with cushion. I ended the first day with blisters on the outer heel and under the 2nd metatarsal of both feet.

Sorry that this isn't a hiking post, but this seemed the best place to ask about putting a lot of miles on your feet.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

.Z. posted:

If I go from walking 2-3 miles a day to suddenly walking ~12 miles a day is it a guarantee I'm getting blisters? Or do I have poor fitting shoes/inserts?

This was what happened to me on a recent trip to Japan.

I was wearing well worn shoes with custom orthotics and merino wool socks with cushion. I ended the first day with blisters on the outer heel and under the 2nd metatarsal of both feet.

Sorry that this isn't a hiking post, but this seemed the best place to ask about putting a lot of miles on your feet.

Yeah. probably. I mean there's stuff you can do to protect your feet, but if you're talking 12 miles a day and you aren't prepared for it then you will probably get some blisters. That being said, it also could be that your footwear/orthotics/socks combination was less than ideal for what you were doing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Also, depends on what your walking on. 12 miles on concrete or uneven terrain is going to feel worse than soft even ground.

I have shoes that I could spend all day in comfortably but i guarantee that they would kill if I tried walking 12 miles in them.

My hiking boots though, put me on a trail and I'll be good for 10+ miles a day.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
For my job I will gently walk around 8-12 miles a day, sometimes up to 20 if it is a large venue or a long day.

Having done this for about a decade or so, I never really got blisters till I started backpacking. I'm convinced that it's the weight of the pack on my back thats doing it.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Kaal posted:

Yeah. probably. I mean there's stuff you can do to protect your feet, but if you're talking 12 miles a day and you aren't prepared for it then you will probably get some blisters. That being said, it also could be that your footwear/orthotics/socks combination was less than ideal for what you were doing.

Verman posted:

Also, depends on what your walking on. 12 miles on concrete or uneven terrain is going to feel worse than soft even ground.

I have shoes that I could spend all day in comfortably but i guarantee that they would kill if I tried walking 12 miles in them.

My hiking boots though, put me on a trail and I'll be good for 10+ miles a day.

I was just walking all around Tokyo in Abeo Turner shoes. I wonder if doing the double layer sock trick with nylons could help.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Winter is coming (to New England, at least).

Nice day out on South and Middle Carter last Sunday.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I don't know how I didn't see this thread earlier.

My husband and I took up running (he a couple years ago, me last year), but often times we've found ourselves on unrunnable trails due to steep elevation plus roots/rocks/windstorm debris! These then have turned into hikes, which have gotten us wanting to take up hiking now. Thanks for the incredibly helpful OP; this thread is full of some beautiful photos. Also, I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, but see the list on the first page has mostly US goons. We're in the lower mainland of British Columbia, Canada, which to me is the most beautiful place on earth, though I haven't been everywhere. Some of our hikes are shown below:

OH HEY GUYS

More images here

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Welcome fellow Canadian! There's a sad lack of us in this thread.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Anyone have recent trail conditions for Mt Mansfield or Camel's Hump in VT?

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Picnic Princess posted:

Welcome fellow Canadian! There's a sad lack of us in this thread.

Thanks! I love your night photos. (I'm still getting through the thread.)

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Out of interest, are there any UK Goon walkers around the Brecon Beacons area?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Hiked up to the local icefield yesterday.

Frozen Ripples by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

Glistening Stone by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

Unfortunately for my photos, the view at the top is facing south over the icefield... into the sun.

Lonely Peaks by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

Beneath the Sun, Above the White by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

Gonna have to go back up there for some overnights. :getin:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 24, 2015

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
What color goggles do you all use for snowfield and glacier travel? I used amber lenses(polarized) without problems for many years, but I lost those and replaced them with red lenses (unpolarized) which have this nasty habit of making snow and ice blue when I take them off for ~30 minutes. I don't know if I'm just forgetting similar issues with amber lenses or if there weren't any.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
I solo hiked Section J of the Pacific Crest Trail in Washington State southbound from Stevens Pass to Snoqualmie Pass and finally finished the write-up. It was 75 miles of pure awesome that I had planned on tackling in 5 days and ended up doing in 4. Full write up is here if anyone is interested: http://mycrookedpath.com/blog/pacific-crest-trail-section-j-stevens-pass-to-snoqualmie-pass-part-1/ It's two parts since there are a million pictures ...

Here are some pics:

Just lounging in camp

Chimney Rock (right) and Lemah Mtn. (left)

The PCT on the Chikamin Traverse under the 4 Brothers

Cloudy

The Kendall Katwalk into nothingness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Keldoclock posted:

What color goggles do you all use for snowfield and glacier travel? I used amber lenses(polarized) without problems for many years, but I lost those and replaced them with red lenses (unpolarized) which have this nasty habit of making snow and ice blue when I take them off for ~30 minutes. I don't know if I'm just forgetting similar issues with amber lenses or if there weren't any.

For my icefield hike this past weekend, I just wore my regular sunglasses (aviator-style, polarized, prescription), as I didn't actually go out on the ice itself. As you can see in the photos however, the sun conditions would definitely call for eye protection for any sort of prolonged trip. I've always thought about getting some prescription goggles / mountaineering shades. Any recommendations?

The "X-colored glasses make everything anti-X upon removal" issue is something you'll run into wearing colored lenses of any sort, but amber's a more mild hue than straight red, so I suspect the effect would be less noticeable. :shrug: