Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
The new XPS 13 has USB-C, but it's not using it to charge is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TopherCStone posted:

Doesn't look like it. The XPS 12 is, though. Odd.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Dell refreshed their XPS 13 and 15 with Skylake. The 15 is now close in size to a 14" laptop.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/dell-refreshes-xps-13-and-xps-15-and-debuts-xps-12-tablet-hybrid/

e: The 15" starts at $999 but it's a garbage configuration with Core i3, a mechanical spinning hard drive and a tiny 56w battery. The upgraded SSD version has a much larger battery and it's probably going to cost a pretty penny. I don't see these on the Dell site yet, probably in the next few hours.

The webcams are still awful on both models but there's not much you can do when you have no bezel.

$1200 for an i5, dGPU (960M) and hybrid drive model.

$1600 ups that spec to 4k.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

$1200 for an i5, dGPU (960M) and hybrid drive model.

$1600 ups that spec to 4k.

And $1700 for an i7, dGPU, 1080p screen, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB SSD, and the larger 84 WHr 6-cell battery that can get 17 hours of battery life with those specs. A 4K screen apparently drops the battery life to 10 hours.

Curiously, the lower spec SSD model with 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of storage that goes for $1400 has the smaller 56 WHr 3-cell battery. Unless that was a goof up and there is supposed to be an option for the larger battery. If there was a way to spec that model with the larger battery and keep the price around $1500, it would be perfect and I would buy it right now.

I was deciding between this and the Surface Book to replace my aging 1st-Gen Alienware M14x. Unless the Surface Book has some crazy GPU in there like the 965M or 970M, the new XPS 15 definitely wins on price and value. I'm planning on sticking with the cheaper 1080p screen as it is more energy efficient and pairs better with the 960M.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I think the reason some versions of the new XPS 15 have a smaller battery is lack of space. The hybrid hard-drive (2.5 inch mechanical one) probably takes up some battery space.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People were saying that given the 1gb memory and power stats that the Surface Book's GPU is likely low end.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

People were saying that given the 1gb memory and power stats that the Surface Book's GPU is likely low end.

Yeah because it only 1gb GDDR5 ram the odds are it's a reworked 845m (945m?) since it's a custom gpu or it's just a 950m.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

havenwaters posted:

I think the reason some versions of the new XPS 15 have a smaller battery is lack of space. The hybrid hard-drive (2.5 inch mechanical one) probably takes up some battery space.

Correct. The Haswell XPS 15s have a 61 or 91 wHr batteries depending on whether or not mechanical drive. The reduction in footprint of the new model has resulted in a smaller battery so I'm skeptical of that 10 hour claim with the 4K panel. Could going to Skylake and DDR4 really give that much in power savings?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dell's seemingly crazy numbers for the XPS13 turned out to be dead on.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
I have most of a month to reconsider, but the screen coming off is going to trump stronger GPU in most cases for most people, I suspect.
Or maybe I'm just projecting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The tablet weighs a pound and a half and has 3 hours Microsoft claimed battery (which is likely less than 2.)

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

TopherCStone posted:

On the XPS 15 page here: http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC

7. Thunderbolt™ 3 supporting: Power in/charging, PowerShare, Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps bi-directional), USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps), HDMI, Ethernet and USB-A via Dell Adapter (sold separately)

It's also on the XPS 13 page.

[Edit] I've also noticed there's a 'TB15' Thunderbolt dock. With a picture of just one cable coming out of the laptop.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 8, 2015

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ilkhan posted:

I have most of a month to reconsider, but the screen coming off is going to trump stronger GPU in most cases for most people, I suspect.

You're probably right. A lot of developers came out the woodwork and bought the high resolution xps13. So many Dell made a laptop with ubuntu as the packaged OS instead of Windows.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

ilkhan posted:

There is also the possibility that there could more powerful GPU options in the future in the form of more keyboard models (like a next generation model or a bigger and heavier desktop-replacement-type model) or docks with a GPU in them. If those are in the cards, I could be swayed into getting the Surface Book.

On the other hand, the XPS 15 is still noticeably cheaper than the Surface Book even if you go with the 4K screen option. So you're paying a $200 to $500 premium over a similarly specced XPS 15 (but potentially with a weaker CPU and GPU) for a convertible laptop/tablet. I'm still torn but I'll probably wait and see how things turn out. Fortunately, there is a Microsoft Store near me that I can visit to check the new Surface out.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Edward IV posted:

There is also the possibility that there could more powerful GPU options in the future in the form of more keyboard models (like a next generation model or a bigger and heavier desktop-replacement-type model) or docks with a GPU in them. If those are in the cards, I could be swayed into getting the Surface Book.
A desktop GPU dock would be perfect. Unlikely since they didn't mention it, but perfect.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

ilkhan posted:

A desktop GPU dock would be perfect. Unlikely since they didn't mention it, but perfect.

While they didn't mention it, there's nothing stopping them from making one further down the line, unless the tablet part is hard-coded for the exact model GPU in the keyboard.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone have a link to the XPS 15? I'm a derp and don't see it listed on the website.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

obi_ant posted:

Anyone have a link to the XPS 15? I'm a derp and don't see it listed on the website.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd

They're still updating the listing some and for some reason the 3rd listing (with the 256gb pcie ssd instead of a 2.5" hdd) still shows a 56 whr battery instead of the larger 84 whr battery.

edit: Well that's annoying. They just removed the $1699 one that had 16 gigs of ram, 512 gb ssd, the bigger battery and the 1080p screen. I was considering that one. Should listen to myself and just realize Dell's website is just being buggy.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 8, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Aphrodite posted:

Dell's seemingly crazy numbers for the XPS13 turned out to be dead on.

Eh not in my experience - my mum's XPS 13 (1080p non touch, 8/256GB) lasts about six hours max

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Mu Zeta posted:

Dell refreshed their XPS 13 and 15 with Skylake. The 15 is now close in size to a 14" laptop.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/dell-refreshes-xps-13-and-xps-15-and-debuts-xps-12-tablet-hybrid/

e: The 15" starts at $999 but it's a garbage configuration with Core i3, a mechanical spinning hard drive and a tiny 56w battery. The upgraded SSD version has a much larger battery and it's probably going to cost a pretty penny. I don't see these on the Dell site yet, probably in the next few hours.

The webcams are still awful on both models but there's not much you can do when you have no bezel.

Dell. Please add a trackpoint. Even in a lovely configuration that uses the upper trackpad edge as buttons. I would immediately jump ship from Lenovo.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

blowfish posted:

Dell. Please add a trackpoint. Even in a lovely configuration that uses the upper trackpad edge as buttons. I would immediately jump ship from Lenovo.

XPS is the home range, it'll never get a Trackpoint. You'll have to wait until that stuff makes its way through to the Latitudes

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Trackpoint is the #1 reason I'm still stuck on Lenovo above anything else. It's so much better than a trackpad it's ridiculous.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

dissss posted:

Eh not in my experience - my mum's XPS 13 (1080p non touch, 8/256GB) lasts about six hours max

She's probably using it for more than what the projections are based on though. I think it's like minimum brightness, Power Saver settings, 1 browser open.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I had to leave Lenovo after they straight up refused to put anything resembling competent graphics for several straight models of Thinkpad. To my knowledge, there still aren't any decent dGPU options on the T series at all. Maybe just using less silicon is why the loving things are so durable.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Given that Alienware now has external GPU docks, and the new XPS line is using Thunderbolt, I wonder if we'll see the XPS line get something similar, if only from third-parties. I can't see Dell adding external GPU support to the XPS line--it would compete with their Alienware line--but I can dream.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Mu Zeta posted:

Ugh these laptops would be perfect if it wasn't for the deal-killing webcam placement. Having to buy and carry around an external webcam for a laptop is just ridiculous.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

Trackpoint is the #1 reason I'm still stuck on Lenovo above anything else. It's so much better than a trackpad it's ridiculous.

True. If Lenovo still had a Thinkpad X300 style laptop (very light, very powerful, very expensive) and 7 row keyboards :corsair: they would still have a distinguishing feature beyond the trackpoint on a black box slice shaped laptop. Also RIP ultrabay, I like being able to load SSDs with various OSs for running terrible outdated equipment, backup and data dump drives, a DVD drive or an extra battery into my T430s depending on the situation.

e: and 16:10 screens

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 9, 2015

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Have found a lenovo t420 for less than £100.

Would this be able to smoothly run basic excel 2013 and basic R, preferably on two monitors?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mourning Due posted:

Have found a lenovo t420 for less than £100.

Would this be able to smoothly run basic excel 2013 and basic R, preferably on two monitors?

Yes, very much so. T420 and newer performs similarly to a brand new 2015 laptop at general office tasks.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Seamonster posted:

Said it before and I'll say it again: If you want a quad core, 16 gb machine with competent dGPU that doesn't weigh a cathedral and isn't some chintzed out spaceship :pcgaming: with poo poo battery life then just wait for the upcoming Dell XPS 15.

:mediocre:

If I could somehow buy a 20lb neon and chrome desktop tower with a built-in keyboard and screen that somehow fit into my oversized briefcase, that is exactly what I would do. Desktop replacement for life.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Would something like this ASUS be an okay machine for general web-dickery and occasional Photoshop use? I was first looking at this Toshiba but I'd rather not get more than what I need for this purchase. I also need to VPN into work once a week but I don't know if that need requires any resources from my computer.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Mile'ionaha posted:

:mediocre:

If I could somehow buy a 20lb neon and chrome desktop tower with a built-in keyboard and screen that somehow fit into my oversized briefcase, that is exactly what I would do. Desktop replacement for life.

Just own one kickass laptop and two kickass desktops :pcgaming:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I played with the Surface Book at the Microsoft store and then came home and ordered a new XPS 15.

The Surface Book was a solid device but it's more expensive, the integrated stylus is slick but not something I'd ever use, the keyboard is decent but not as good as the XPS, the latch mechanism is a little wonky to detach it, and most importantly it absolutely does not fully close. There's a noticeable space there and while the screen flexes a little bit I'm much too concerned about something breaking if it gets smushed.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I played with the Surface Book at the Microsoft store and then came home and ordered a new XPS 15.

Don't suppose you tried to open Device Manager and saw what GPU it has?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Skandranon posted:

Don't suppose you tried to open Device Manager and saw what GPU it has?

It was the one without a GPU which I thought was very sneaky.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Assuming you got hands on the new XPS 15, does it have some sort of magnetic lid latching? Hinges get sloppy over time and previous XPS 15s didn't have it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Seamonster posted:

Assuming you got hands on the new XPS 15, does it have some sort of magnetic lid latching? Hinges get sloppy over time and previous XPS 15s didn't have it.

Oh I didn't get to touch the new XPS 15, I played with the old one and they're keeping that same keyboard. I hadn't heard that about the hinges though.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It was the one without a GPU which I thought was very sneaky.

Tricky indeed.

Do you remember what the CPU was? I'm wondering if it's using a low power, ultra-low power, or regular power CPU since using the former two could bottleneck performance if a more powerful dGPU is used. The Alienware 13 using the external GPU accessory really highlighted how important CPU power is in addition to GPU power.

Rusty Bodega
Feb 12, 2012

Colowful Wizuds
Hey everyone, I'm a video editor and motion graphic designer and I need a laptop for on-the-go rendering, and also so I can work two renders at the same time while I'm at home. I'm not looking to spend a lot on it ($1500 max) and I'd prefer not to dish out $$$ for a Mac, so the alternative was the get a refurbished ASUS ROG, this one in particular:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232465&cm_re=asus_rog-_-34-232-465-_-Product

Has anyone had a good experience with refurbished laptops? (Or ROG's in general?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Is there any info on when the Thinkpad P50 is releasing? My old W530 is kind of hosed so I'd like to replace it.

Or are there any good alternatives in the 15.6", strong CPU, ~$1600, touchpad-with-buttons segment of the market? Weight isn't a huge issue since I'm used to a 6lb laptop.
I haven't looked at laptops in years so I have no idea who is good now.