Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

I found Banished to be very unconventional and in desperate need of config changes. All the really annoying mobs in specialmobs are active, and Geists are really annoying too since they spawn right on top of mobs you kill and poo poo poorly-implemented shadowfire everywhere when they die. For once, the Lycanites Mobs present don't feel entirely out of place since you're in a non-vanilla dimension, but they still look ugly as hell.

Banished also forces you to get Aura Cascade crafting up and running before you can use any of the Ars Magica spells it throws at you. The quest progression is kindof hosed up.
Banished is the caveworld one right? I kind of like the 'currency' power system and there's some fun stuff there, it really feels wildly different from anything and I actually really love the caveworld feel. But I've definitely got an AM2 spellbook and some spells without having touched the Aura Cascade stuff yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Has the creator of AE2 nerfed crystal growth speed or something? I remember growing crystals in a pool of water a few months ago and it only took around ten minutes or so, now it's taken me around 2-3 hours to get less that 20% growth. To make things worse, you can't make a growth accelerator without growing crystals the wrong way.

Or have I forgotten something?

I'd recommend adding in the AE2 Stuff Mod. The Crystal Growth Chamber is a direct response to that specific flavor of bullshit, and the Advanced Inscriber is also a nice upgrade.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Banished is the caveworld one right? I kind of like the 'currency' power system and there's some fun stuff there, it really feels wildly different from anything and I actually really love the caveworld feel. But I've definitely got an AM2 spellbook and some spells without having touched the Aura Cascade stuff yet.

Does the white AM2 water spawn in the cave system? The quest book told me I could craft it, and that requires Aura Cascade. Or did you get a spellbook from a quest somewhere?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Banished is terrifying and kind of cool

If you like having a super safe safebubble base you'll probably hate it (for starters, I just had a grim reaper lookin motherfucker start whispering creepy poo poo in my ear as I was reading a quest book, so I turned around and started backpedalling and it came floating through the damned wall) but if you want some kooky poo poo goin on that'll actually kill you, you might enjoy it.

I wonder if there's any way to actually establish a safe haven that's resistant even to mobs that float through walls

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Played around with Galactic Science a bit more. I appreciate that it starts you with a decent power source, and that while minerals are rare, the path to early automation is pretty short. You can get trees going in the first day, cobblegen by the third. 90% of my iron came from all the crap I strained through the auto-sieve while building a defensive wall and roof around my base with double-compressed cobble.

The choke point appears to be minechem. Break stuff down into chemicals? No problem. Analyze and reassemble stuff? Too bad, you need the journal first. How do you get the journal? Combine a plain book with a glass block. No problem. How do you make a plain book? Paper and leather.

Where do you get leather on the moon?

I can't tell if there is just a super secret material that has it as a rare sieve drop, or if the game truly expects me to hit my next tier of materials first so that I can go the blood magic route and convert some zombie flesh.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
You don't need the book to reassemble stuff. I think you do need it to automate it though.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Threep posted:

You don't need the book to reassemble stuff. I think you do need it to automate it though.

Ick. Trial and error it is, then.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

Does the white AM2 water spawn in the cave system? The quest book told me I could craft it, and that requires Aura Cascade. Or did you get a spellbook from a quest somewhere?
Yeah, several early quests give spells like magelight, dig, grow, create water, and other useful spells, while the first quest category has (somewhere on the right) a quest that trades for a soulbound spellbook, which means you'll never lose it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

Banished is terrifying and kind of cool

If you like having a super safe safebubble base you'll probably hate it (for starters, I just had a grim reaper lookin motherfucker start whispering creepy poo poo in my ear as I was reading a quest book, so I turned around and started backpedalling and it came floating through the damned wall) but if you want some kooky poo poo goin on that'll actually kill you, you might enjoy it.

I wonder if there's any way to actually establish a safe haven that's resistant even to mobs that float through walls

I guess the answer would be to have some sort of automatic defense. You can make spells to summon mobs in rear end Crashica and those will attack anything that you hit or hits you, you can make guard golems using thaumcraft but with the cost of making them and their effectiveness and hp.

You could also put 3 blocks of wall with the center wall being lava.

The best Idea is putting an rear end Crashica Dark Nexus in various points in your base, as those will suck up and trap and eat anything not-a-player from a fair distance away assuming they can pull whatever straight toward it.

I don't have any other ideas.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There are also those Utility Mobs turrets, but they kinda suck.

EricFate posted:

Ick. Trial and error it is, then.

Trial and error? It's all in NEI.

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, several early quests give spells like magelight, dig, grow, create water, and other useful spells, while the first quest category has (somewhere on the right) a quest that trades for a soulbound spellbook, which means you'll never lose it.

The "spellbook" from that quest is just an item that lets you store multiple spells in one item slot. Have you tried casting any of them? It doesn't work! You need to unlock your mana first, which means you need to make an Arcane Compendium, which requires placing a book inside an item frame above some Liquid Etherium, which you can craft from four buckets of water via Vortex Infusion... which is part of Aura Cascade.

If Etherium just spawns in the caves (I really hope it does) that would be a faster way of gaining access to AM2, for sure.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 9, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

The "spellbook" from that quest is just an item that lets you store multiple spells in one item slot. Have you tried casting any of them? It doesn't work! You need to unlock your mana first, which means you need to make an Arcane Compendium, which requires placing a book inside an item frame above some Liquid Etherium, which you can craft from four buckets of water via Vortex Infusion... which is part of Aura Cascade.
I got the growth spell from a quest before I got the spellbook. I tried casting it and it made a magic noise, making my mana and overcharge bars show up, along with an indicator of my magic level/xp. Then I put it in my spellbook a while later and it worked fine from there, too.
I think even in normal AM2 you initiate things by casting a spell, the book only shows you how to do things. I could be wrong but I definitely haven't touched aura cascade at all yet.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I got the growth spell from a quest before I got the spellbook. I tried casting it and it made a magic noise, making my mana and overcharge bars show up, along with an indicator of my magic level/xp. Then I put it in my spellbook a while later and it worked fine from there, too.
I think even in normal AM2 you initiate things by casting a spell, the book only shows you how to do things. I could be wrong but I definitely haven't touched aura cascade at all yet.

Well what do you know. Trying THAT spell worked. I'm guessing that all the other spells cost too much mana at magic level 0.

...the other spells don't work at all? I know I have the mana now. Magelight and Conjure Water just do nothing.Okay I guess those two spells are touch-based. Gotta be right up next to a block to cast them.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 9, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I found Banished to be very unconventional and in desperate need of config changes. All the really annoying mobs in specialmobs are active, and Geists are really annoying too since they spawn right on top of mobs you kill and poo poo poorly-implemented shadowfire everywhere when they die. For once, the Lycanites Mobs present don't feel entirely out of place since you're in a non-vanilla dimension, but they still look ugly as hell.

Banished also forces you to get Aura Cascade crafting up and running before you can use any of the Ars Magica spells it throws at you. The quest progression is kindof hosed up.

Hubris is... kindof boring? The main problem I had with it is the severe lack of food early on due to lacking easy access to passive mobs and space to farm things in. Also taking taint damage makes you hungry, so if you go exploring overland early on you're gonna starve, which is weird because it's supposed to be a pack that encourages exploration?

VVVVVVVVVVVV
I haven't gotten started with it at all in Banished. All I've done is read up on it and watch a video, and it's a really weird sort of puzzle/industrial mod, where you need vertical space to get the most out of the resources you use to craft things. The advanced aura colors do different things which can be used to increase your efficiency, or something? Anyway I wouldn't compare it to Thaumcraft. You make everything in the mod yourself; there are no aura nodes.

I'm starting on Banished myself and am actually having a pretty neat time - I had a bad tough start at first, but reset, and the trick that changed things for me was to immediately buy the magelight spell and light up EVERYTHING you can, as far as you can in all directions - eventually mob spawns of the sort that will actually chase you down will start to go way down. Also snag the rock blast spell to snipe anything nasty. My base is actually relatively safe enough that i'm having livestock spawn in it and I've only been playing a few hours. I managed to kill an afrit from Lycanites (never seen this mod before) and the reputation turnin quest for it gave me an afrit bait - next time I saw one I used it on him and now I have a tame afrit who follows me around and throws fireballs at anything who gets close. You can build a turret golem with just a dispenser and a fence and so i've plopped a few of those around too to keep out strays.

It seems like the best area to build a base in is a big wide open dirt covered cavern room where you can light a large space up up - if you do it in a tunnel there'll be lots of little dark rooms you can't find that will inevitably spawn phantoms and digging zombies. A couple stragglers will always wander in occasionally anyway, so the trick is to build your chests on the ceiling, high up enough that you have to be standing directly underneath them to open them, that way stray creepers won't blow them up.

I've never touched Ars Magica before but I do like these basic starting spells for a dangerous mod like this.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Starting Banished at 4 in the morning is making me poo poo bricks regularly because I am a wimpy baby when it comes to anything even remotely related to horror in video games. I've repeatedly had goddamned Phantoms pop out of the walls and scare me, and just had a goddamned giant rock goelm spring up out of an ore and terrify me.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

Galactic science starts you on the moon :ssh:. Do you mean some other modpack? Getting enough metal to make a tier 2 rocket ship (overworld is not visitable) with ex nihilo is pure torture. I think it's what, at least 40+ tier 2 heavy duty plates, with each heavy duty plate being 2 steel plates, 2 bronze plates, 2 aluminum plates, and then the steel plates having to be manually compressed one by one in a slow compressor from iron plates and coal, (and the iron plates being made from 2 ingots each in the same), and bronze plates being one tin plate and one copper plate, while having to manually hammer every single bit of ex nihilo ore pieces down to dust in case you might get a few more ingots, because you don't have the metal to make an autohammerer or the power to be able to justify running it, and you having no pulverizer or anything better than a vanilla furnace since all the good stuff is locked behind metal from mars.

The annoying thing is it looks like it might get really neat if you can bite the bullet and power on through it (i've never touched Galacticraft or Minechem or RFtools or enderIO before this modpack), but goddamn.

minechem is cool - with enough power you can have cobblegen creating iron ingots

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

TheresaJayne posted:

minechem is cool - with enough power you can have cobblegen creating iron ingots

And then it bugs out and corrupts the chunk.

(not bitter)

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

TheresaJayne posted:

I actually had probably enough cobble to produce iron via decomposition, but it produced such an enormous amount of other junk to sort through while also being power hungry and clogging up one of the (expensive) decomposers that it was easier to just set up another sifter and use the cobble for an automatic cobble->lava->obsidian->silicon dioxide->gravel->autosifter setup. Even with 3 autosifters running 24/7 it was still just a completely unreasonable amount of metal needed just to get past the lovely moon tech tier

Actually figuring out that the whole auto cobble->lava->obsidian->silicon->gravel chain was automatable was pretty neat though.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think a good way to do it would be to have a some "basic" teleporters that can get you around places but they aren't all that convenient for the real meat. Then you have damaged teleporters that you can tag and teleport to once you get to them but can't teleport from them until they are fixed, which can be various degrees of expensive. Lastly what about a rare-ish item that, when combined into a recipe more expensive than any repair job, lets the player make their own teleporters? Or possibly just have player teleporters be very expensive.

You could have the player teleporters be something on the level of degenerate technology. The theoretical understanding of the teleporters is there but whoever built them had access to some knowledge the player doesn't. The teleporters already there power themselves and will, at most, need some light maintenance (to make it cost resources you can have the fixable teleporters break and need a little bit of metal or something from time to time - don't make it a often or a lot, that would be irritating) along the way. Player teleporters would require some RF and semi-regular repair because they're crude, brute force versions of the other ones.

Dividing teleporters to something like transporters and beacons sounds good. I'll probably make ones placeable by players dungeon loot. Having the teleporters require visiting them for repairs sounds like it'd make players angry but I'll probably make the network have some needs you can pipe in through any node of it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
For Galactic Science, how am I supposed to get rubber / rubber tree seeds? I just realized I have a way to crush cobble into gravel before getting off the Moon using the Electrical Age 50v macerator, but I don't see a way to get rubber...

Edit: Also, COWS!

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 9, 2015

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

McFrugal posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Trial and error? It's all in NEI.

So it is. I didn't think to actually try hitting 'U' on any of the elements. When I do that, it actually shows me the shaped recipes. Instead I was just taking elements, writing down the compound name/formula, and then winging it from there.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Magres posted:

I've hardly used Aura Cascade but it really looked like Thaumcraft spergin but without the fun parts of Thaumcraft. How is it?

From Kim and Duncan's aborted attempt, it definitely seems way more complicated than it needs to be. There's 7 colors of energy, they all behave differently and you need tons of multiple colors to make anything good. Upgrading in the 'angel steel' tiers looked like a massive grind, too. It's 3:1 to go up a level and there's 7 levels, I think. Nightmarish to make a single max-rank sword. Most of what it does is in-world, too, so automating it's a hassle.

It ended up as 'collateral damage' in a scripted sequence shortly after. :flame:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jvie posted:

Dividing teleporters to something like transporters and beacons sounds good. I'll probably make ones placeable by players dungeon loot. Having the teleporters require visiting them for repairs sounds like it'd make players angry but I'll probably make the network have some needs you can pipe in through any node of it.

What I was figuring on was using it as a mild resource sink if players teleport a lot. As in, if you teleport to a secondary or tertiary beacon a lot it has a small chance to break. If it breaks you need to feed it some resources to teleport away from it. What I was figuring on was that you can teleport to anything you've visited all the time but some things can prevent you from teleporting from.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

EricFate posted:

So it is. I didn't think to actually try hitting 'U' on any of the elements. When I do that, it actually shows me the shaped recipes. Instead I was just taking elements, writing down the compound name/formula, and then winging it from there.

You can also... just search for recipes for the compound you need? Like any other craftable item? Hit R instead of U. Or left-click on the icons in NEI's display.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What I was figuring on was using it as a mild resource sink if players teleport a lot. As in, if you teleport to a secondary or tertiary beacon a lot it has a small chance to break. If it breaks you need to feed it some resources to teleport away from it. What I was figuring on was that you can teleport to anything you've visited all the time but some things can prevent you from teleporting from.

That'd pretty much mean that you would always want to keep repair materials with you if you teleport. I fear it'd turn into annoying busywork. I'd rather have the network work more consistently so players don't start to resent it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Personally I don't really like the "woops random chance you have to spend resources!!" thing for teleporters. It'd be nice if to get teleporters working you had to create local self-sustaining power grids; nearby portals could just need e.g. an ex nihilo crucible + magma dynamos, or even for you just to put saplings in a tree farm, but the weird difficult-to-reach ore mountain (c.f Blightfall floating city) could need an entire turbine big reactor that plugs into that dangling coolant pipe.

I've got no idea how you'd enforce that other than stealing Material Energy's gimmick and basically have the "fix teleporter" quest require you to turn in all the ingredients you'd need, and in exchange get an AE2 spatial card with the required setup on.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Personally I don't really like the "woops random chance you have to spend resources!!" thing for teleporters. It'd be nice if to get teleporters working you had to create local self-sustaining power grids; nearby portals could just need e.g. an ex nihilo crucible + magma dynamos, or even for you just to put saplings in a tree farm, but the weird difficult-to-reach ore mountain (c.f Blightfall floating city) could need an entire turbine big reactor that plugs into that dangling coolant pipe.

Making the player to build stuff around each teleporter sounds like it'd get old fast. I'd rather have the network accept resources from any node so the player can just upgrade their base.

quote:

I've got no idea how you'd enforce that other than stealing Material Energy's gimmick and basically have the "fix teleporter" quest require you to turn in all the ingredients you'd need, and in exchange get an AE2 spatial card with the required setup on.

I'm not sure if I understand you. I thought you meant that each teleporter required on-site power so the player had to build stuff near it to provide that? Or do you mean that the player should just provide the materials for the setup? Enforcing stuff shouldn't be a problem. I'm implementing the teleporters from scratch so I can make them demand whatever to activate.

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008
If the teleporter breaks, a panel somewhere pops open and smoke comes out. You have to punch it for 10 seconds to fix it as a little convenience fee, but once you get tech infrastructure up you can park down an autonomous activator and not worry about it anymore.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Computercraft Creative computers can only be interacted with by an OP for editing and entering commands and still react to redstone and other stuff. They can do creative mode commands so you could use computercraft with creative command shenegans in place of command blocks for some very crazy stuff.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Ambaire posted:

For Galactic Science, how am I supposed to get rubber / rubber tree seeds? I just realized I have a way to crush cobble into gravel before getting off the Moon using the Electrical Age 50v macerator, but I don't see a way to get rubber...

Edit: Also, COWS!

Did you make an airlock or something so the cows could survive in there? And where'd you get the spawn eggs?

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Willheim Wordsworth posted:

If the teleporter breaks, a panel somewhere pops open and smoke comes out. You have to punch it for 10 seconds to fix it as a little convenience fee, but once you get tech infrastructure up you can park down an autonomous activator and not worry about it anymore.

I don't think those kind of malfunctions would add anything to the experience. The player would just get frustrated and mutter "this crap again?"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jvie posted:

Making the player to build stuff around each teleporter sounds like it'd get old fast. I'd rather have the network accept resources from any node so the player can just upgrade their base.

I'm not sure if I understand you. I thought you meant that each teleporter required on-site power so the player had to build stuff near it to provide that? Or do you mean that the player should just provide the materials for the setup? Enforcing stuff shouldn't be a problem. I'm implementing the teleporters from scratch so I can make them demand whatever to activate.

I reckon the player should build stuff around the teleporter. I just don't know how you'd enforce e.g. this one needs magma dynamos, that one needs biofuel, the third will only take botania.

I think it would be better to have the player encouraged to branch out and do different things, rather than simply go for the most efficient way of churning out shitloads of RF at each juncture. Maybe have it so each teleporter has like a preferred input but you can bruteforce it for more RF from another source, I dunno. Or if you make the "do different things" directive come as part of upgrading a base's central computer or something (e.g. a Mana Diamond to unlock this teleporter, that one needs a Redstone Energy Cell) I guess that could work.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

rather than saying "this teleporter needs to be powered by nether star generators" you could just do it Feed The Beast style and say "the liquefied nether star generators are out of liquefied nether stars, please insert 512 bucketsworth to continue" and then in a bedrocked/warded area have the thing output to a tank and put a comparator on it and when the comparator hits 15 you go

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
So Banished is hilariously fun. If you dislike fighting things and want to punch blocks and craft in peace you'll hate it, but if you enjoy being on edge and having things jump you in new an interesting ways, you'll enjoy it. Game has scared the poo poo out of me repeatedly, though I have yet to die (couple close calls though), and I'm having a blast. I'm currently just working my way through Dark Power stuff exploring and fighting and enjoying the hell out of Ars Magica 2.

The whole thing spawns you in dimension that's basically just solid rock and caves (tons of caves) and it seems like you're meant to explore and fight for ore, rather than punching blocks forever. Definitely my kinda setup, I hate mining.

Only major piece of advice is don't dig up. I think the cave world you're in has similar oregen rules to the overworld, so you want to be down in the low areas.

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 9, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bhodi posted:

F.A.R.T.S *[145.9] states, "Situation Update. The generator is now a hungry node."

I wish so badly for a map or mod that could make 3d not (as) poo poo SS13 a reality. As is I could never stand actually playing SS13 due to the incredible degree of jank :v:

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
So what's the Technic generic for Banished?

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Glory of Arioch posted:

rather than saying "this teleporter needs to be powered by nether star generators" you could just do it Feed The Beast style and say "the liquefied nether star generators are out of liquefied nether stars, please insert 512 bucketsworth to continue" and then in a bedrocked/warded area have the thing output to a tank and put a comparator on it and when the comparator hits 15 you go

Yes. If you want the player to do a specific thing then just check for that specific thing. I guess the picky teleporters could also be implemented by making them not accept power from ducts, only directly from adjecent generators so they can check what they are being fed by. I'm still not a fan of the idea of making each teleporter have so specific tastes, but I'm going to add other resource sinks as well.

I think it would be better to have the player encouraged to branch out and do different things, rather than simply go for the most efficient way of churning out shitloads of RF at each juncture. Maybe have it so each teleporter has like a preferred input but you can bruteforce it for more RF from another source, I dunno. Or if you make the "do different things" directive come as part of upgrading a base's central computer or something (e.g. a Mana Diamond to unlock this teleporter, that one needs a Redstone Energy Cell) I guess that could work.

I do want there to be incentives for variety. Speaking of RF, I'm very fond of the feel it has in Blightfall. After the very beginning you are never really in a position where you can't get as much as you need, but it still feels precious since you can't just scoop up some coal off the ground and be done with it. You have to spend something for it, either reputation or rare yellorium, or put in the effort to invent and build a rube goldberg contraption to make it with Botania. I'd like to replicate that feeling. One thing I thought of was making the mana fluxfield the main way for generating RF since Botania has a variety of interesting ways to produce mana. Another way could be making it so that at least in the beginning the player's best way to acquire RF is to scavenge energy cells from ruins.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So I decided to give Refuge a shot...but I can't get it to install properly. I load it through the FTB launcher, tell it to launch, and nothing. Logs seem to indicate that Forge is not even installed. Guess I'll go give ME^3 a new shot then, it's been an awful while since I played it last.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

So Banished is hilariously fun. If you dislike fighting things and want to punch blocks and craft in peace you'll hate it, but if you enjoy being on edge and having things jump you in new an interesting ways, you'll enjoy it. Game has scared the poo poo out of me repeatedly, though I have yet to die (couple close calls though), and I'm having a blast. I'm currently just working my way through Dark Power stuff exploring and fighting and enjoying the hell out of Ars Magica 2.

The whole thing spawns you in dimension that's basically just solid rock and caves (tons of caves) and it seems like you're meant to explore and fight for ore, rather than punching blocks forever. Definitely my kinda setup, I hate mining.

Only major piece of advice is don't dig up. I think the cave world you're in has similar oregen rules to the overworld, so you want to be down in the low areas.

I would dig up to the ceiling to the map anyways just for access to the sky and have a nice building area with one side not having to worry about mobs coming out. Of course the ceiling might be bedrock, if it's not you will have access to the sky and have one side you don't have to worry about mobs flying though. Then again it might be "you saw the sky, you have died" or something. Ars magica and thaumcraft both give ok quarry options.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

I would dig up to the ceiling to the map anyways just for access to the sky and have a nice building area with one side not having to worry about mobs coming out. Of course the ceiling might be bedrock, if it's not you will have access to the sky and have one side you don't have to worry about mobs flying though. Then again it might be "you saw the sky, you have died" or something. Ars magica and thaumcraft both give ok quarry options.

It's apparently a caveworld generation so I'm pretty sure the sky is bedrock, like the nether. I managed to dig up to y:150~ and it was still cave, there was just poo poo all for ores. The bottom bedrock would still give you an unbreakable wall to build against without missing out on good ore.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've also tried FtB's "Void World" adventure map. The guy who made it is not a native English speaker so there's a few quirks but overall the quality of the writing is fine.
It's basically a more back to basics map based around ProjectE and mass production, similar to the original FtB map, but a big chunk of the early game is about clearing out and re-lighting the floating city you spawn in, which is both kind of fun and kind of tedious. There's like a dozen buildings and each one is loaded with spawners hidden beneath rubble, so once you learn where to look it gets pretty easy, but if you don't move quickly you can get totally swarmed. Make them your top priority, usually under stairways, behind bookshelves, or under conspicuous piles of blocks heaped on the floor.

It's not completely original or remarkable but it's solid enough, and I sort of missed ProjectE skyblocks.