Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

MikeJF posted:

I imagine that it's more reliable than an automated landing if you happen to have a pilot in orbit. So the first one was thrown there by a rocket and then later missions the Hermes drops off the next mission's MAV.
It also probably costs less to carry the next mission's MAV with the spacecraft that's already going to Mars instead of building a fresh booster solely for the purpose of shooting the MAV to Mars. NASA has the capability to do so, but it has another option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alternately, Ares I may have just carried two MAVs and enough fuel for their own to take off and taken a bit longer to get there.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Even that trouble was more than necessary, as hydrazine will burn directly in oxygen, so there was no need for his catalytic decomposition apparatus. I guess the point was getting laughs for him blowing himself up, but even that could have been done another way.

It also seems like hefting along enough drinking water for 6 people for 30 days would have been unnecessary - having a water generator on the surface making it for them in advance would have been much smarter. Hence, he should have had almost unlimited water already available, unless the book goes into some reason why that wasn't done - I haven't read it.

The hydrazine came from the Ares 3 MDV, that's its fuel and there was some left because Martinez landed very efficiently.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The water recycler can only reclaim existing water. He needed a lot of water for the potatoes. So just using what he had on hand wasnt enough.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Panfilo posted:

The water recycler can only reclaim existing water. He needed a lot of water for the potatoes. So just using what he had on hand wasnt enough.

My point was that hauling all their water with them was inefficient. If NASA was going to send a fuel-production module ahead of time, they could send a water-production one just as well.

The amount of water in Mars' atmosphere varies a lot, but there's enough for there to be visible frost and water-ice clouds. Extracting potable water from it wouldn't be that hard, even if they landed at a spot without much subsurface ice. Thus the whole water shortage plot item seemed a bit contrived.

It made for good fun in the movie, but if people want to get into "how would this work in reality?" it seems like a hole.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It might've just not been worth sending a manufacturing plant. They needed to haul most of the water with them to Mars anyway for the Hermes flight, and the recycler was pretty decent.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
IIRC the water was a back-up in case the recycler broke down. They could have sent a water generator of some sort but then they'd still have to send liquid water in case the water generator broke.

The book also said that the only single failure point that could cause a mission abort is if the MAV didn't land safely, and everything else had redundancies and back-ups. They probably sent twice or three times as much water as they thought they need in a worst-case scenario in case one or more of the supply drops didn't make it. But if they sent generators instead they'd either have to send extras or they'd have a second lynchpin that could scrub the entire mission if it broke down, since at that point the recycler breaking down would mean that people die. And around that time is probably when someone at NASA crunches the numbers and decides it's a whole lot easier, cheaper and safer to just send liquid water.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
A movie about intelligent, competent, level-headed people doing intelligent, competent, level-headed things. I enjoyed it.

dabs violently
Jul 27, 2013

tetrapyloctomy posted:

A movie about intelligent, competent, level-headed people doing intelligent, competent, level-headed things. I enjoyed it.

I particularly enjoyed how when things did go wrong, it wasn't a total disaster. During the rescue scene where the tether starts to wrap around both of them I expected it to go the way of Gravity.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mesmerized posted:

I particularly enjoyed how when things did go wrong, it wasn't a total disaster. During the rescue scene where the tether starts to wrap around both of them I expected it to go the way of Gravity.

The tether thing bugged me a little because they seemed to suddenly lose all their angular momentum. They were spinning around each other struggling to get closer, yet the instant they touched there was no longer a problem. Unless I'm misunderstanding how angular momentum works when dealing with non-rigid connectors like tethers.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Senor Tron posted:

The tether thing bugged me a little because they seemed to suddenly lose all their angular momentum. They were spinning around each other struggling to get closer, yet the instant they touched there was no longer a problem. Unless I'm misunderstanding how angular momentum works when dealing with non-rigid connectors like tethers.

The commander still had her chair thrusters to stabilize them.

One thing that bugged me was that they let Beck go outside the Hermes without a tether. Nothing came of it but for a movie that emphasized real processes and being safe, it seems insane to send the guy just climbing along the outside of the ship and hope he doesnt slip.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Would've liked to see a cut of this film just with the Matt Damon parts. Everything dealing with NASA and the crew and the crowds on Earth was cliched was gently caress. More "Moon" and less "Armageddon" basically.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Terrible Horse posted:

One thing that bugged me was that they let Beck go outside the Hermes without a tether. Nothing came of it but for a movie that emphasized real processes and being safe, it seems insane to send the guy just climbing along the outside of the ship and hope he doesnt slip.

That was weird and seemed like there must have been a deleted scene where he slips and only barely catches on, or something. Especially they way they showed how he was struggling.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Terrible Horse posted:

Yeah I thought that was pretty crazy given he's flailing his arms along the hand holds. One of those robotic arms like we had in the space shuttle wouldve been useful here.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Terrible Horse posted:

Even better, he didn't need to do anything at all. The whole reason he needed to climb around the outside of the ship in the book was because the airlock doors weren't automated and they wanted to blast a hole in the inner airlock door, not the outer door. In the movie they had motorized doors they could control from the cockpit.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Has anyone watched it twice, once in 3d? I originally went to watch the movie in 3d but the theater screwed up and played the standard version. It has been bugging me for the past week that I really want to see it in 3d but not sure if the 3d is worth another 10 bucks and 2 hours of time even though I enjoyed the movie and will probably pick it up at home.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

nessin posted:

Has anyone watched it twice, once in 3d? I originally went to watch the movie in 3d but the theater screwed up and played the standard version. It has been bugging me for the past week that I really want to see it in 3d but not sure if the 3d is worth another 10 bucks and 2 hours of time even though I enjoyed the movie and will probably pick it up at home.

They didn't offer you a refund or a different showing?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Finally got to watch this today and found it wholly engrossing. This was a kick rear end Ridly Scott film. So drat good. Hope it encourages science. Are there any actual plans for us to go to Mars?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I think a reality TV show wanted to send its cast to mars.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Psawhn posted:

Even better, he didn't need to do anything at all. The whole reason he needed to climb around the outside of the ship in the book was because the airlock doors weren't automated and they wanted to blast a hole in the inner airlock door, not the outer door. In the movie they had motorized doors they could control from the cockpit.

I wondered that and thought I missed something. He was stationed at the airlock for [some reason], then things change and is sent along the hull for [some reason]. Then Lewis decides she wants to go get Watney and Beck just reels them in. It seemed so out of place and pointlessly risky.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Hollismason posted:

Finally got to watch this today and found it wholly engrossing. This was a kick rear end Ridly Scott film. So drat good. Hope it encourages science. Are there any actual plans for us to go to Mars?

Vague "plans" but no, nothing realistic or concrete. At present it would take an Apollo-like budget for a decade or so, meaning we'd need to give NASA 8 times its current budget for awhile. Good luck getting that passed in Congress.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I think a reality TV show wanted to send its cast to mars.

That's Mars One, which to put it diplomatically is a blatant scam that will never get anywhere near a rocket, let alone Mars.

As for real plans, there was a NASA design study released recently that plans for Phobos in 2033 and a crewed Martian surface mission in 2039 or the early 2040s. The Martian supposedly takes place in the 2030s, so that seems about right.
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/09/nasa-considers-sls-launch-sequence-mars-missions-2030s/

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Evolvable Mars is pretty achievable assuming SLS payload capabilities develop as expected. There is a more in-depth examination of the mission architecture here: http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20150006952.pdf

It also involves the development of some cislunar space infrastructure, which is great.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

They didn't offer you a refund or a different showing?

I got two free tickets to a movie of my choice, but I passed them on to a friend to use because I rarely go to the movies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Luneshot posted:

As for real plans, there was a NASA design study released recently that plans for Phobos in 2033 and a crewed Martian surface mission in 2039 or the early 2040s. The Martian supposedly takes place in the 2030s, so that seems about right.
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/09/nasa-considers-sls-launch-sequence-mars-missions-2030s/

Oh yeah, the plans exist and are in progress, are fairly easily achievable, and honestly don't cost that much as federal programs go.

It's absolutely not going to happen. Without the spectre of the cold war big NASA projects and grand government spaceflight schemes are just incompatible with the cycle of government.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Tehan posted:

IIRC the water was a back-up in case the recycler broke down. They could have sent a water generator of some sort but then they'd still have to send liquid water in case the water generator broke.

The book also said that the only single failure point that could cause a mission abort is if the MAV didn't land safely, and everything else had redundancies and back-ups. They probably sent twice or three times as much water as they thought they need in a worst-case scenario in case one or more of the supply drops didn't make it. But if they sent generators instead they'd either have to send extras or they'd have a second lynchpin that could scrub the entire mission if it broke down, since at that point the recycler breaking down would mean that people die. And around that time is probably when someone at NASA crunches the numbers and decides it's a whole lot easier, cheaper and safer to just send liquid water.

Weir has stated that he didn't know water was abundant in Martian soil until after he had finished the book, when curiosity did some sampling. I think something like 30% of the soil is actually ice so all that soil he dumped indoors would really have turned into mud. It's also full of perchlorates which is toxic enough that NASA is concerned with dust getting into a theoretical habitat so yeah. It's not a 100% accurate sciency movie - it's a fun sciency movie.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
This was a cool movie. I agree with what some other people said about the simplification of the problems/ reduction in number of issues kinda removes some of the tension and sense of high stakes, but I can't really see a way around that without making it four hours long, so. The other story, of Guy Stranded In Space, That's No Fun, Everyone Tries To Help Him was enough to still make watching the film a good time. Though, did anyone find the one scene where the two Chinese scientists decide to help them kinda weird? It was like the actors had only been given the script a minute before and hadn't decided how they were going to read it yet.

Serious issue, however: Given that in the film he's not cut off from NASA during the later part of the mission, there's no way he'd actually be a Space Pirate. The only reason NASA hadn't given him explicit permission in the book was because they weren't able to contact him and so he had to blindly just trek over to Ares 4 as it was the only plan they both knew of. Movie ruined.

Also I wanted more swearing. I like the idea that there's someone specifically employed in the mission control room to replace all the cuss words with asterisks before it goes up on the big fancy screen. (Actually, come to think of it, it would totally make sense for them to automate that after the first conversation. Dude cannot be trusted to watch his drat potty mouth.)

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

this movie was very very long, too long some might say...

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I just saw this movie and it was really very good. I pretty much can't muster any real complaints about it, which is probably why the movie's thread is so small! Couldn't have shot it better, the problem-and-solution dynamic is engaging even if some of the science is fake.... the only thing I was left wondering when I left the theater was if Matt Damon really lost all that weight or if it was done with CGI.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

I just saw this movie and it was really very good. I pretty much can't muster any real complaints about it, which is probably why the movie's thread is so small! Couldn't have shot it better, the problem-and-solution dynamic is engaging even if some of the science is fake.... the only thing I was left wondering when I left the theater was if Matt Damon really lost all that weight or if it was done with CGI.

Considering they only showed him skinny for a couple minutes on screen, I doubt it was real

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I doubt he went all Machinist on this movie. There's no need, really.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm guessing they CGIed his head on a skinny body, like in Captain America.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Not even, they always obscure his face for shots of his skinny body. That's why he's drying his hair so intensely during the first skinny wide shot. Wide shots of skinny body double and close ups of Damon where you can't see his body. No wide shots of actual Damon again until he has an outfit that obscures his skinniness.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
How come the MAV capsule has a heat shield, is it also the Earth lander?

Also, did anybody else notice:

- the Hermes thrusting toward Earth when they said they were in the braking burn (before the Purnell maneuver)

- during Watney's MAV ascent, a screw floating by his face (as in zero G) while still under acceleration with the engines firing

vessbot fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 12, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just got back from seeing this. Overall the great film, a great premise, and a breathtaking climax. There were some pacing issues, like how every single problem was introduced and then solved before going onto the next problem in a somewhat repetitive fashion, or Donald Glover's character only being introduced when he was important to the story and then disappearing right after.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

vessbot posted:

How come the MAV capsule has a heat shield, is it also the Earth lander?

Also, did anybody else notice:

- the Hermes thrusting toward Earth when they said they were in the braking burn (before the Purnell maneuver)

- during Watney's MAV ascent, a screw floating by his face (as in zero G) while still under acceleration with the engines firing
That wasn't a heat shield on the top of the MAV

Hermes accelerated towards Earth so that they would be going faster when slingshotted around. The Hermes had an ion engine so it works best when thrusting over a long time.

I don't think the screws started floating around until after the MAV engines were spent.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

bawfuls posted:

That wasn't a heat shield on the top of the MAV
I'm not taking about the top, but the base. It was covered by familiar space-shuttle-looking tiles. I didn't read the book, so I'm wondering if there's more to it than looking space shippy. It would make sense for it to also serve as the Earth lander, now you have one chunk of mass pulling double duty.

quote:

Hermes accelerated towards Earth so that they would be going faster when slingshotted around. The Hermes had an ion engine so it works best when thrusting over a long time.

That is the Purnell maneuver itself, and would not be happening before they decided to perform it. They should have been thrusting away from Earth so as to slow down, and they said as much in the movie...Just didn't show it. Surely the shot was put there after whoever was responsible for accuracy was finished checking things over.

quote:

I don't think the screws started floating around until after the MAV engines were spent.

They did, there was a shot of a single screw floating by. After engine cut out, there were a whole lot more.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 12, 2015

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The MAV had to land on Mars, vessbot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

old dog child posted:

The MAV had to land on Mars, vessbot.

To be fair, you'd expect it to dump the heatshield for weight on ascent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah, the plans exist and are in progress, are fairly easily achievable, and honestly don't cost that much as federal programs go.

It's absolutely not going to happen. Without the spectre of the cold war big NASA projects and grand government spaceflight schemes are just incompatible with the cycle of government.

It's still probably not the best bang for your buck science wise, so many other missions would need to be sidelined just to send dudes to Mars that I doubt it's worth it to start budgeting for it just yet.

• Locked thread