Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
LISA LISA LISA LISA LISA (Let's Play) LISA LISA LISA

Alternate titles:
Don't be a sad dad Brad, be a glad dad! Let's Play LISA

Character art by @yourboymelt

What?

LISA: The Painful RPG is an RPG Maker game released in December 2014 by Austin Jorgenson, also known as Dingaling or Widdly 2 Diddly. It has a pretty heavy influence from Earthbound but takes the writing and subject matter to a far darker place. LISA tells the story of Brad Armstrong--a washed up martial arts instructor with a bit of a drug problem struggling to overcome his inner demons. Unfortunately for Brad, this mid-life crisis occurs during a Mad Max style apocalypse where all women have ceased to exist, strange fleshy monsters roam the land, and no one can find a poncho big enough to cover their nipples. It is truly hell on Earth.

This will be a VLP. The game is paced well enough to work in video format and doesn't fall into a lot of the usual pitfalls JRPG's tend to. More importantly the game owes a lot of its atmosphere to some excellent sound design that would be totally lost in screenshot format. Some quick edits may be done to cut repetitive combat but there really isn't much of that in this game.

Will this be a 100% LP?

I know how to get just about everything in this game so 100% is certainly something I can do. Really the 100% in my mind refers to getting all the characters and showing off all the weird things you might miss, so I'll definitely be aiming for that. We'll see how it goes.

Will you be doing pain mode?

Pain mode is an added difficulty mode with some important changes. Most importantly you can only use each save point once. There's some new enemies as well and a hidden area that fleshes out the plot a bit. If I do this it will probably be as a stream after the LP, as I've never attempted it before.

Will you be playing LISA The Joyful?

Most likely yes. LISA The Joyful is a DLC that sort of wraps up the events of Painful with a short playable campaign. It's definitely lacking compared to Painful but is still part of the story and really necessary for closure in the series, so I feel kinda obligated to include it.

Oh man I can't wait for you to get to--

Stop right there. Don't. Lots of people have already played this game and that's awesome, but for obvious reasons there will be no spoilers or discussion of things we haven't seen in the thread. Please do not use spoiler tags either.

Ok I'm sold let's start the pain train

If you want to get right to the game start with part one. Part zero is a sort of introduction to the LP where I gush about Earthbound and the various weird games it's influence has spawned, eventually leading into LISA. I only put several months into producing it so I'll only be partially crushed if you skip it. :v:

:shittydog:Videos:shittydog:

thevoiceofdog fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Post Reserved for Things

Character Bios
(Taken from the art collection DLC)

thevoiceofdog fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 26, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Give up your belongings. Nothing is more precious then Terr-Bear's life.

Krabbapples
Feb 21, 2013

I am the claw.
I agree with Highwang, Wary Terry is integral to our enjoyment of this game.

Also, drat fine job on the earthbound-likes, I really enjoyed the whole update.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I can't leave without my buddy Superfly Terry.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Screw the stuff. Save the dude.

So. When I first saw some snatches of this game, I was seriously unimpressed with the over-the-top cynicism and all-around unpleasantness, as I tend to be with that which tries far too hard to be "edgy", and what seems like a sophomoric attempt to hammer it in further by aping the styles of a charming (and weird) game about childhood. There's also the way it looks to use the premise of "no more females" to grab at a particular section of the internet audience which feeds on the perception of women as an incomprehensible "other". Like, "/b/: The RPG" would not be an inaccurate alt title.

That said, the negative impression came about before and knowing that "Earthbound-alike" is apparently a subgenre of indie games in and of itself. :v: (yeah Undertale does look kind of amazing) And also, well, not playing Lisa and not seeing the whole thing through to decide if it's got a worthwhile point to it. In any case, there's probably something genuinely positive to be said in dedication to creating a setting that looks this unpleasant.

So hell, let's see where this goes.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mazed posted:

So. When I first saw some snatches of this game, I was seriously unimpressed with the over-the-top cynicism and all-around unpleasantness, as I tend to be with that which tries far too hard to be "edgy", and what seems like a sophomoric attempt to hammer it in further by aping the styles of a charming (and weird) game about childhood. There's also the way it looks to use the premise of "no more females" to grab at a particular section of the internet audience which feeds on the perception of women as an incomprehensible "other". Like, "/b/: The RPG" would not be an inaccurate alt title.

That said, the negative impression came about before and knowing that "Earthbound-alike" is apparently a subgenre of indie games in and of itself. :v: (yeah Undertale does look kind of amazing) And also, well, not playing Lisa and not seeing the whole thing through to decide if it's got a worthwhile point to it. In any case, there's probably something genuinely positive to be said in dedication to creating a setting that looks this unpleasant.

Yeah, there's all that, but it's actually really good because the developer is smart and funny instead of being a creep.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbt_JytZSg

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

gently caress Terry. Take the stuff and go. It's dog eat dog

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Save Terr Berr btw.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
DESTROY TERRY

Obligatory
Apr 18, 2014

just pluggin along...
Part 0 was great. It's a very nice intro to Earthbound like games, and I actually showed it to a friend as an example of games that I'm into.

Anyway, Save Terry.

ProfessorYesNo
Dec 10, 2006
What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in what?
SAVE TERRY. We can always get more dumb jerky or whatever, but if we want to get Buddy back, it's best to have a buddy at our back.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Ditch the hint lord.

At least we have video this time so I don't have to type up a certain someone's speech again out of the good of my heart.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Give up your junk! You can't just leave him to die! Think of his fans and how they'll take hearing about his death!

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
lmao I just realized I made a rating graphic for LISA that I was going to insert at the end of the video and totally forgot to do so. This was what should've been there:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I bought this game a while back, but I admit I haven't played it yet.

It kinda scares and intimidates me :gonk:

Guess I'm kinda pathetic.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Spare-y the Terry; Terry is, after all, way cooler than everything you've accumulated thus far - just ask him.

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
Spare the terr-bear, he is worth more than 30 playboys.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mazed posted:

I can't stand things that are 100% dark for the sake of being dark so i avoided it too. I ended up trying it after joyful came out and really enjoyed it and if Undertale didn't sweep everything at the last minute it would have been my favorite indie RPG of the year.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Oh man, I picked LISA up after seeing you demo it a while ago and absolutely loved it.

Give up belongings. Terry's not dangerous in a fight, but he'll eat attacks that would hit Brad otherwise.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
This game is chockablock with pro wrestling references: Dingaling is obviously a big fan of fake fighting as well.
Only one I spotted this time around (and this could just as easily be a Tupac shoutout) was that dying man who had to get something off his chest.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Save terry. He can take incoming hits for us and cause some debuffs (I hope he get's more useful skills later on).

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 10, 2015

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
It's a tough apocalypse, ditch this dingus

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Material goods will deprecate, Information can only go up.

Invest in Terry

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
This game always made me... anxious. Also part 0 was really good, nice job.

Save the Terry! We can always replace our perfume and beef jerky, but Terry is irreplacable! ... I mean, I.... I guess

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've heard really promising things about upcoming indie RPG YIIK: A postmodern RPG http://yiikrpg.com/

also it's always worth checking out Yume Nikki if you never have.

Now we could go back in time, get to this choice without grabbing any items then go back but that's lame as poo poo, what you think you're above your decisions?

let's keep terry

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 10, 2015

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

What have I done with my life

Also save Terry. I like the cut of his gib.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I'm gonna have to say give up Terry, he knew what he was in for when he decided to join us and if we continue without supplies he is just another mouth to feed when we have no food.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

thevoiceofdog posted:

LISA LISA LISA LISA LISA (Let's Play) LISA LISA LISA

:shittydog:Videos:shittydog:

Great video! You forgot Yume NIkki, which seems like it was the inspiration for Lisa the First.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
A lot of games were probably influenced by Yume Nikki, I can't believe that loving game came out 11 years ago.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Give up the belongings. How could anyone sacrifice good ole Terr Bear.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Double Rabite posted:

Great video! You forgot Yume NIkki, which seems like it was the inspiration for Lisa the First.

Yume Nikki is okay and all, it has some interesting stuff in it for sure. But I didn't include it for a couple of reasons--one being that it has no combat or gameplay outside of wandering around and collecting abilities. The other being that the game does almost nothing to facilitate playing it and is really agonizing to finish (I don't think the game actually hints at there being an end to it at all). I can't in good faith recommend it to people without a bunch of conditions or warnings and overall I don't really feel it stacks up to the games I included in #0. I did watch an LP of it that should be on the archive, it was pretty good and very thorough. You can find that here.

The same goes for LISA the First, which is very close to Yume Nikki in terms of gameplay but tells a more concrete story. I actually avoided talking about it at all in #0 because, well... I guess I feel that LISA is good enough to stand on its own. I like that you can get the context from LISA the First through Brad's hallucinations and sorta piece together his past, which is what I did going into LISA blind. Overall I don't really like the kind of gameplay experience that Yume Nikki and LISA the First provide so I kinda ignore them.

Edit: Oh right that Yume Nikki LP was all on Viddler, which is dead now. WHOOPS. Well searching on YT I found a reupload, it seems to be on this channel.

thevoiceofdog fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 10, 2015

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Kill Terry. :getin:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
forgot my vote.

Keep terry

btw, your lp has given me the will to start playing this. Thanks!

I'll be following along I guess.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 10, 2015

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Keep Terry, love that crappy sliding headbutt.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Let's Keep Terry. I'm sure inflicting Crying and Pissed will be helpful.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Keep Terry.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Keep Terry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The thing I've noticed about all these EB-likes is that you can usually judge their worth by the quality of their battle themes. Off and Space Funeral, for example, have amazing default battle themes and Lisa has an abundance of great music as a whole.

Also Sperr the Terr

• Locked thread