Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Ambaire posted:

Is anyone recreating old World of Tanks clans in AW? I have such fond memories of clan wars in No Dumb Pubs with ChairInABasket leading us, may he rest in peace... Stug Lyfe, Marder She Wrote, and others.

let's just forget that these groups of people ever existed k thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

let's just forget that these groups of people ever existed k thanks

Shame on you. You know Chair is probably turning over in his casket about now, right?

So, what equivalents to the T110E4, E-50 and Bat-chat does this game have? Does it have any rotary-magazine type guns, like the Bat-chat and T-57 heavy?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Triple A posted:

They probably should add some Nork vehicles to that dealer as well.

Gimme some of that Ch'onma-ho and Pokpung-ho.

As for rotary-magazines, I don't think there's any in game right now? There's plenty of autocannons though.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Just discovered the Bradley has lots of armor apparently, my 30mm cannon did nothing :(

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Haerc posted:

Is it a limited time thing? I logged in to check and saw no notification.

Everyone except this guy, apparently! Invite sent.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Troika how about we make a joint CHAI / GOONS introduction post in the brown sea forum with the intention of pure troll. Maybe we can drum up non-goon business with the intention of never adding them to the clan but putting them through a torturous acceptance process that will result in "so sorry, it's not you... it's us. We don't like you. "

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pimpmust posted:

Chinese dealer is next (and eventually added asian stuff). I think they've mentioned French/Swedish stuff too, might be another dealer though (gotta have that BACON :getin:).

Chinese line seems to be mainly Russian remixes up to tier 5-6 or so, then they become ChineseLeopard1 "Big Gun" / "Weak Armor" sorta thing. Type 85(?)/88 and 96/99 gonna be interesting.
Also I think we might just get the Chinese NotT-55 before the actual T-55.

The stats on the modern Chinese tanks is going to be guessing and Wikipediaing because i'm betting China isn't too free with that information.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'm really bad at this game, no matter what I try either my whole team dies before I get anywhere effective or I just get shot by a dozen guys at once :shrug:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Man, AVF scouting in random matches for pubs can be an exercise in frustration. Sometimes you just light stuff up and everyone shoots it. Other times you get into a fantastic position, light up half the enemy team for 5 minutes straight and no one takes a single shot at them. In fact they still manage to lose a sniping match against a constantly lit up team.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Regarde Aduck posted:

The stats on the modern Chinese tanks is going to be guessing and Wikipediaing because i'm betting China isn't too free with that information.

that's pretty much the same with all tanks in armored warfare. all modern tank's stats are classified.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Agrajag posted:

that's pretty much the same with all tanks in armored warfare. all modern tank's stats are classified.

Yeah and even then it's guesswork. A good friend of mine was an officer in Iraq 1.0 and has told me he's seen Abrams do well over 60MPH flat out on the desert. It's 'official' top speed is ~45mph.

MY UNCLE WORKED FOR THE ARMY IN IRAQ AND SAYS

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Four Leopards vs one T-62 and it came down to the last guy alive spamming him to death with HE. I don't think people are very good at this game.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
What's the best way to use autocannons? I typically end up using HE more than AP because HE will penetrate most of the other light stuff I fight, and do damage against heavier stuff, while my AP typically bounces off MBTs.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'm really bad at this game, no matter what I try either my whole team dies before I get anywhere effective or I just get shot by a dozen guys at once :shrug:

I get poo poo on a lot, too, mostly because I try to be too aggressive or I push into a spot that I can't get out of. With an AFV I have a good chance of doing some spotting and assist damage from the flanks. With an MBT, it's trickier.

Go into the center? You're going to get all lit up because you don't know the maps well enough to play the angles yet.

Go to the sides? You might get into a good sniping spot and lay down some damage, or you might get spotted and pinned down without being able to return fire.

I play most maps like I'm trying to open a paint can. I work it from the sides, try not to get poo poo all over the place, and exploit the first gap that I find.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Fart Car '97 posted:

This is me right now, I'm having a hard time breaking my WoT tendencies.

In-Game name: Q_res

Add me to one of the goon clans, please.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Jumping on the goon train

IGN: Kuxai

Phunky physics

Apparently there is no hit-box/invisible walls to stop you from driving into this building, it works on PVP.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So is ramming damage hosed and you do 3x as much ramming damage to friendlies as you would to enemies?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

demonR6 posted:

Troika how about we make a joint CHAI / GOONS introduction post in the brown sea forum with the intention of pure troll. Maybe we can drum up non-goon business with the intention of never adding them to the clan but putting them through a torturous acceptance process that will result in "so sorry, it's not you... it's us. We don't like you. "

Just do it man. We should totally brainstorm a few hilarious but still believeable ways of loving pubbies over.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Valle posted:

I uh...I think you mean Panzer?
I call it the BagelPlatzer, dunno why. Maybe because it puts big holes in you from the side, but if you have to frontally shoot an MBT, it feels like your shells are bagels.

Also I've realized that my view feels kind of fish eyed. Tanks at the edge of the screen seem to be stretched out and too long. Is this a FoV or graphics setting thing? What resolution do I want?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Congratulations we are self appointed ambassadors and will start a thread.. how about a diplo thread from Chai - Masala. We just need someone from Goons that will jump in the thread so we can create this mutual relationship and get it going.

Out running errands but I'll get on the brown sea shortly.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So I installed this game to see what the fuss was about, and I find a WoT clone with modern tanks.
I have sofar played a couple of games and is already bored since I don't see what is new (except it of course not being WoT). Though, the M113 is hilarious for gotta-go-fast.
So why is this game better than WoT, or is it just the normal fascination with something that looks new?

To me tanks felt less smooth while moving, the grind seems equally horrible and you have the same mouthbreathers as in WoT.
If I understand Warbadgers posts correct, higher tier tanks are automatically better and have more HP, damage, armour and therefore there is no point in playing anything but top tier, especially since you are not penalized for playing bad in top tier?
So the new thing is basically ATGMs, which gives me the suspicion that the meta in the game will settle on some form of sniping and vision games?
Arty is less damaging, which might be fun for those that never learnt how to handle arty in WoT.
And the tech tree seems to be the same tank over and over again?

Just to be clear and not be overly critical to a new game, why should I play this game?
It being not-WoT is not an argument, but I am grateful for more information.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Cardiac posted:

So I installed this game to see what the fuss was about, and I find a WoT clone with modern tanks.
I have sofar played a couple of games and is already bored since I don't see what is new (except it of course not being WoT). Though, the M113 is hilarious for gotta-go-fast.
So why is this game better than WoT, or is it just the normal fascination with something that looks new?

To me tanks felt less smooth while moving, the grind seems equally horrible and you have the same mouthbreathers as in WoT.
If I understand Warbadgers posts correct, higher tier tanks are automatically better and have more HP, damage, armour and therefore there is no point in playing anything but top tier, especially since you are not penalized for playing bad in top tier?
So the new thing is basically ATGMs, which gives me the suspicion that the meta in the game will settle on some form of sniping and vision games?
Arty is less damaging, which might be fun for those that never learnt how to handle arty in WoT.

Just to be clear and not be overly critical to a new game, why should I play this game?

go away

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

demonR6 posted:

Congratulations we are self appointed ambassadors and will start a thread.. how about a diplo thread from Chai - Masala. We just need someone from Goons that will jump in the thread so we can create this mutual relationship and get it going.

Out running errands but I'll get on the brown sea shortly.

I want to help as well!
This poo poo gives me flashbacks to my eve years.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Cardiac posted:

If you find it fun play it, if you are bored don't? It is just another tank game with slight changes to mechanics.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Cardiac posted:

well i mean if you don't like it then there is still WoT

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

BadLlama posted:

If you find it fun play it, if you are bored don't? It is just another tank game with slight changes to mechanics.

I became bored when I realized it is the same grind for no readily apparent change from WoT, and I don't really have the time for grinding another game.
ATGMs seems interesting, but also means a more sniping environment once the meta settles down?
Which mechanics are in your opinion better than WoT?

So why did you start playing it, or was it just because you were tired of WoT?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
im personally playing it because modern tanks, the game being more forgiving as long as you perform well in a match regardless of a win or loss, the non-existent importance of stats, arty is no longer an issue (cap is 2 per side), and not having to give a poo poo about mods. if pve is your thing there's that also. oh and gently caress nerds pushing for a war thunder like hardcore mode or whatever the gently caress.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 10, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Agrajag posted:

im personally playing it because modern tanks, the game being more forgiving as long as you perform well in a match regardless of a win or loss, the non-existent importance of stats, arty is no longer an issue (cap is 2 per side), and not having to give a poo poo about mods. if pve is your thing there's that also. oh and gently caress nerds pushing for a war thunder like hardcore mode or whatever the gently caress.

Thanks, this was pretty much what I was asking for.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Cardiac posted:

I became bored when I realized it is the same grind for no readily apparent change from WoT, and I don't really have the time for grinding another game.
ATGMs seems interesting, but also means a more sniping environment once the meta settles down?

There are a couple of big things that I really like. You will never be one shot by arty and its more enjoyable to play, modern tanks interest me more (you are in a T-55 by Tier 2 - I hate having to grind through 4 or 5 tiers of inter-war poo poo cans that I neither know about nor care about), mobility is across the board better (gently caress you T-28 prototype), stock tanks are far more playable, the upgrade system is interesting and better than WoTs, armor vs penetration is far more of chess match by tier 5 than WoT (my T62 in WoT pens everything) and my progression is far more dependent on me than on whether my team wins. The company also feels a lot more responsive so far to customer feedback and I'm honestly loving tired of giving Wargaming my money, especially after some of the poo poo they have pulled in World of Warships (horrible weekend bonuses and 65 dollars for loving Tirpitz, get out).

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
I like having months of premium time, heaps of gold, a metric ton of premiums, and 6 million internet monies for the same price I'd spend on some lovely WoT christmas bundle

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
We should really update the op with a bullet point list of the little things that this adds or changes that make it more fun than w.o.t. like the not being pub-hosed for doing well in a loss, not paying for extra slots, etc. Otherwise the thread will continue to be half full of people who don't even read one page back to answer their own questions.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Hammerstein posted:

TDs are crazy fun when things work your way and you can make use of their high dps.

I put mine into the command center for more free xp.

Is "free xp" the global xp, or the locked xp?

Also, why is there no Centurion in this game???

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Cardiac posted:

The number one reason I find it fun right now are the number of got to go fast tanks and how they are able to compete for the most part. Also no mods allowed but having a UI that is actually acceptable is a bonus for me.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

ChickenWyngz posted:

I like having months of premium time, heaps of gold, a metric ton of premiums, and 6 million internet monies for the same price I'd spend on some lovely WoT christmas bundle
Don't forget the 2 weeks of +25% credits and XP bonus that stacks with your premium time bonus.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

cheese posted:

There are a couple of big things that I really like. You will never be one shot by arty and its more enjoyable to play, modern tanks interest me more (you are in a T-55 by Tier 2 - I hate having to grind through 4 or 5 tiers of inter-war poo poo cans that I neither know about nor care about), mobility is across the board better (gently caress you T-28 prototype), stock tanks are far more playable, the upgrade system is interesting and better than WoTs, armor vs penetration is far more of chess match by tier 5 than WoT (my T62 in WoT pens everything) and my progression is far more dependent on me than on whether my team wins. The company also feels a lot more responsive so far to customer feedback and I'm honestly loving tired of giving Wargaming my money, especially after some of the poo poo they have pulled in World of Warships (horrible weekend bonuses and 65 dollars for loving Tirpitz, get out).

omg so much this, gently caress playing those poo poo box retard "tanks" before getting to tanks I actually want to play in WoT. gently caress that soooo much.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Jesus loving christ why am I downloading this right now

CatAteSeven
May 28, 2013
Can i get an invite?

FamilyValues on the NA server

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Game on.

http://aw.my.com/en/forum/showthread.php?33710-CHAI-Purveyors-of-Fine-Teas&p=476264#post476264

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

I feel like the CHAI gimmick generates its own comedy easily enough without having to do stuff like this.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
Please invite Dilkington on NA to CHAI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

So it seems like there's a bit of leniency on resetting cap - slung HE into the face of an MBT-70 and got the reset. It also works just as well as WoT for pissing pubbies off.

Also, the VFM 5 is a pretty good tank.

Occupy Sesame Street! fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 10, 2015

• Locked thread