Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Drythe posted:

Eren stepped up last time he had to fight Reiner and figure out how to not get hosed on the fly. A 50 meter tall rear end in a top hat on fire dropping in isn't exactly fair

If Annie wasn't stuck in a crystal she'd probably be regretting teaching Eren how to beat everyone who isn't her up right about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Drythe posted:

Eren stepped up last time he had to fight Reiner and figure out how to not get hosed on the fly. A 50 meter tall rear end in a top hat on fire dropping in isn't exactly fair

That's true, I forgot about that.

I guess I was just focused on the scene from a few issues back where he nearly let himself get eaten.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

still waiting on chekhov's wall titans

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

comedyblissoption posted:

still waiting on chekhov's wall titans

This is what I thought the mass- titanification at first, the wall crumbling.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Eej posted:

If Annie wasn't stuck in a crystal she'd probably be regretting teaching Eren how to beat everyone who isn't her up right about now.

Any day now, she'll hopefully start doing something again other than being a rad paperweight.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

Any day now, she'll hopefully start doing something again other than being a rad paperweight.

That's honestly kinda why I imagine the Scouts are going to lose, so that Annie gets taken out of the crystal prison. That and the story has two and a half more years to it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nelson Mandingo posted:

In chapter 70, Marlo is excited and talking about how they're going to beat the titans and "The titans are like paper before the might of that spear." and in chapter 72 when everyone is freaking out about the meat one of the new recruits says to another "You're no good with the spear. It's not like you'll be doing anything."

So one of the new weapons they have is a "spear". It probably has something to do with the stabilizers on their arms. Eren even was talking about how they've been using his titan body to develop weapons.

The Spear is the device set up on the walls now. Pretty much Titans are lured to spots were they have to duck down to get at the humans inside, then the spear comes down and kills them. It was introduced in the chapter you are talking about.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Spear is the device set up on the walls now. Pretty much Titans are lured to spots were they have to duck down to get at the humans inside, then the spear comes down and kills them. It was introduced in the chapter you are talking about.

I thought so too but again "You're no good with the spear." two chapters later implies it's a personal weapon that takes a degree of skill to use. After all, why would Scouts be manning that weapon when it's clearly there for the Garrison to use?

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 10, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I don't understand how there is going to be a "fight", why didn't beast titan just hide in the inner city and then turn the entire team except Eren into titans?

What beast titan really reminds me of is

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MeLKoR posted:

I don't understand how there is going to be a "fight", why didn't beast titan just hide in the inner city and then turn the entire team except Eren into titans?

We don't know what's involved with Titan Creation (do we?) when Monkey Trouble does it. maybe proximity to Eren just kills it dead.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Maybe he can turn titan humans human and back at will, but needs to do something more to normal people.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
He turned that village of what's-his-name no problem.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, but he presumably had time and could commit to it without interruption. But who knows how it really works.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

This is what I thought the mass- titanification at first, the wall crumbling.
i actually thought this at first too

when the wall titans are summoned erwin's reaction shot is going to have to be a full page of abject despair

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

MeLKoR posted:

Speculating here but Eren has the coordinate and they have seen him use it when he was in a tight situation. Pissing him off by turning all the people he cares about into titans is something that could outrageously blow up in their faces.

Of course killing them probably has the same effect on second thought....

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 10, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
eren seems to have a rather large advantage if those are normal titans rather than shifters

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

eren seems to have a rather large advantage if those are normal titans rather than shifters

A couple reasons I'm not sure that this would make much of a difference:
- Eren has only been shown to use it when in a situation of extreme distress and doesn't seem to have any idea how to replicate its effects
- The monkey titan is super strong and seems like it could easily beat Eren's titan form, much less the rest of the scout legion

While I guess Eren could in theory turn those normal titans against the monkey titan, I just don't see any sort of significant victory against the monkey titan in this encounter (the regular titans looks small enough that monkey titan could just swat them aside). I'm predicting a damage-mitigated loss of some sort.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i guess i don't consider making him + reiner/bertholtd retreat with loads of lives lost as a significant victory necessarily since it seems a decent shout armin/levy might finally die

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

itll be a victory for me i just want to see whats in the basement dammit

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
It's going to end up being a giant cock-tease because they'll get to the basement and find out that Monkey Trouble and Co. have already been there and destroyed/removed everything that Eren's dad left.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

flowinprose posted:

It's going to end up being a giant cock-tease because they'll get to the basement and find out that Monkey Trouble and Co. have already been there and destroyed/removed everything that Eren's dad left.

I don't think they have any way of knowing where his house is. Especially since it got smashed flat by a Titan.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Vengarr posted:

I don't think they have any way of knowing where his house is. Especially since it got smashed flat by a Titan.

Hmm I figured surely since they knew who his dad was that they would be tracking where he lived to keep an eye on him.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

flowinprose posted:

no.. noooo

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

MeLKoR posted:

My guess is that he cant turn living people, only the dead. So anyways he would have to kill then first.

EDIT: or maybe he have to touch then or bite then or something like that. Infect then with kind of poison, which maybe is the origin of the titan serum.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

- The monkey titan is super strong and seems like it could easily beat Eren's titan form, much less the rest of the scout legion

The only thing we saw him do was beat up Reiner which even Eren can do before he got hardening.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kild posted:

The only thing we saw him do was beat up Reiner which even Eren can do before he got hardening.

It seemed implied that he easily beat Reiner, whereas Eren only did so after a super difficult life or death confrontation. I mean, there's no proof that Eren couldn't take on monkey titan, but what we've seen plus the general tone makes me think that he probably can't.

edit: Also it would be super lame if they won the confrontation simply by virtue of Eren's titan form being more badass than those of his opponents

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ytlaya posted:

It seemed implied that he easily beat Reiner, whereas Eren only did so after a super difficult life or death confrontation. I mean, there's no proof that Eren couldn't take on monkey titan, but what we've seen plus the general tone makes me think that he probably can't.

edit: Also it would be super lame if they won the confrontation simply by virtue of Eren's titan form being more badass than those of his opponents

Eren just badly needs a W on his record.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I would be fine with Eren definitively beating Reiner but having to run from Monkey Trouble

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Yeah, knocking the armored titan down in the tier list would be cool.

It just doesn't make sense to me that Eren's titan could beat up Donkey Kong, not alone at least. just the size/strength difference is crazy enough, it'd need to be some large scale planned attack and lots of people would probably die in the process

edit: also we're still waiting for Bert to make his grand entrance and the wall titans to maybe do something, yeah I don't know, this poo poo is so insanely stacked against the recon corps I have no idea what they're gonna do haha

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

HoneyBoy posted:

Yeah, knocking the armored titan down in the tier list would be cool.

It just doesn't make sense to me that Eren's titan could beat up Donkey Kong, not alone at least. just the size/strength difference is crazy enough, it'd need to be some large scale planned attack and lots of people would probably die in the process

edit: also we're still waiting for Bert to make his grand entrance and the wall titans to maybe do something, yeah I don't know, this poo poo is so insanely stacked against the recon corps I have no idea what they're gonna do haha

Bert can't really do anything though. He's pretty useless apart from just falling on people or knocking things over if he's braced enough to stand up.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Vengarr posted:

Eren, Mikasa and Armin would all know where the house is. And only the roof collapsed, the basement would be fine.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

change my name posted:

Bert can't really do anything though. He's pretty useless apart from just falling on people or knocking things over if he's braced enough to stand up.

He can partially transform and just kinda be a torso I thought? He could become a turret on the ground. A turret that punches and is on fire.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Eren, Mikasa and Armin would all know where the house is. And only the roof collapsed, the basement would be fine.

The titans don't have a clue though, and no one is about to tell them.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Vengarr posted:

The titans don't have a clue though, and no one is about to tell them.

Didn't Prixis announce the whole basement thing to the entire army just before the boulder mission or am I misremembering?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Now imagine searching every destroyed house in a city full of destroyed houses because you don't know where in the city it was.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's going to turn out that reiner and monkey titan are the good guys

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jose posted:

i guess i don't consider making him + reiner/bertholtd retreat with loads of lives lost as a significant victory necessarily since it seems a decent shout armin/levy might finally die

Armin isn't dying. Isayama spoiled the direction his and Eren's character are going. Both of them have plot armor.

quote:

Now imagine searching every destroyed house in a city full of destroyed houses because you don't know where in the city it was.

They did have like 4 months to do this. I imagine that's what the twist will be. Either the Scouts lose or they win and force the shifters to retreat but find they already were at the basement so they have to create an expedition to chase after them.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 11, 2015

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Armin isn't dying. Isayama spoiled the direction his and Eren's character are going. Both of them have plot armor.

Oh, man! Where?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

comedyblissoption posted:

it's going to turn out that reiner and monkey titan are the good guys

I would be super cool with this honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Oh, man! Where?

He was being interviewed with the anime director Araki and talked about how Armin's strength doesn't come from a very good place, Eren and Armin's friendship.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 11, 2015