Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Node posted:

What are the overpowered guns in this version of Battlefield?
Battle pickups are pretty sweet, but they're not real common. As for stuff you actually spawn with, assault rifles are the general go-to jack of all trades weapons. They patch stuff every once in a while which tones down the outliers, so stuff is generally balanced but assault rifles, in general, do nothing excellently but do more things adequately than any other infantry weapons. Try the M416 and SCAR-H. PDW's will push people's poo poo in at close range but they're worthless at any appreciable range, but at that point it's easier to run for cover and try to position yourself better. Carbines are right in between AR"s and PDW's. Snipers are similar to older BF titles in that they only one-hit-kill with a headshot, so they're generally a pain in the rear end to use. DMR's are much better IMO since they perform more consistently at shorter ranges and are pretty bad up close, but not nearly as useless as snipers, so you can get closer to actual objectives. I'm a fan of the Mk11. LMG's are less accurate than assault rifles but good at suppression and sustained fire, useful out to medium range but they lose out to PDW's up close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Node posted:

I chose all maps/expansions, all game modes, 48 or 64 player count, and theres maybe 15 to choose from. That are full or have up to 10 empty slots. I feel dirty for getting into a Battlefield game proper so late, I always played them from the day they launched, since 1942.

Do you scroll down all the way? It does lazily load server options, scroll down a lot to make or display them and then back up, and sort by ping. Keep in mind I'm cool with thirty two player servers, but at the same time I'm also banned from plenty of servers either explicitly or implicitly so you really should have plenty to work with.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
what? people still play this? there were only like 5 decent servers a year ago

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Apparition posted:

yeah ok

Whats up with symthec not having all the guns?!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

verbal enema posted:

yeah ok

Whats up with symthec not having all the guns?!

They do though?

http://symthic.com/bf4-weapon-info

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

oops looked over it too fast my bad

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Apparition posted:

Theres like a dozen full 64 player servers right at this moment.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
New Caspian loving sucks.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I've been taking up flying recently, and I was wondering - do passive radar missiles offer any appreciable advantage over heatseekers in actual combat situations? The ability to relock seems to be pretty useless.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

New Caspian loving sucks.

You need to be taking that wall down, son.

I really like the colour palette.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

ArchangeI posted:

I've been taking up flying recently, and I was wondering - do passive radar missiles offer any appreciable advantage over heatseekers in actual combat situations? The ability to relock seems to be pretty useless.

I don't use them, but I guess if you get close enough to the enemy jet, they have very little time to react and flare. With regular heat seekers, you give yourself away with the lock on sound.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Friar Zucchini posted:

Battle pickups are pretty sweet, but they're not real common. As for stuff you actually spawn with, assault rifles are the general go-to jack of all trades weapons. They patch stuff every once in a while which tones down the outliers, so stuff is generally balanced but assault rifles, in general, do nothing excellently but do more things adequately than any other infantry weapons. Try the M416 and SCAR-H. PDW's will push people's poo poo in at close range but they're worthless at any appreciable range, but at that point it's easier to run for cover and try to position yourself better. Carbines are right in between AR"s and PDW's. Snipers are similar to older BF titles in that they only one-hit-kill with a headshot, so they're generally a pain in the rear end to use. DMR's are much better IMO since they perform more consistently at shorter ranges and are pretty bad up close, but not nearly as useless as snipers, so you can get closer to actual objectives. I'm a fan of the Mk11. LMG's are less accurate than assault rifles but good at suppression and sustained fire, useful out to medium range but they lose out to PDW's up close.

Small addendum regarding the LMGs: If you use them with the bipod (like god intended :colbert:), they're incredibly lethal out to pretty ridiculous ranges. Both dispersion as well as recoil are reduced to almost nothing. Few things are as satisfying as wasting a sniper from across the map by dumping a dozen bullets right through his scope in one long burst.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Snipers are similar to older BF titles in that they only one-hit-kill with a headshot, so they're generally a pain in the rear end to use. DMR's are much better IMO since they perform more consistently at shorter ranges and are pretty bad up close, but not nearly as useless as snipers, so you can get closer to actual objectives. I'm a fan of the Mk11. LMG's are less accurate than assault rifles but good at suppression and sustained fire, useful out to medium range but they lose out to PDW's up close.

I'm pretty bad at the game, I only have a KD ratio of 0.39, (gently caress it though I'm having tons of fun! (Also since using a DMR, I get a ratio closer to 1.0 in matches now so my KDR is slowly catching up)) but here's where most of my kills come from:

DMR (RFB, 4x optic, angled grip): 91 kills
LMG (M249 SAW, 2x optic, bipod): 44 kills
AK12: 20 kills
Sniper Rifle: 20 kills

To me, the Sniper loadout shouldn't even be in the Recon class. What does a Recon get? Tugs, motion balls, and radio spawners. Things that are for getting right up in the action not on a hill half a mile away. I'm having loads of fun with a 4x opticed DMR and the great thing is, DMR's aren't class limited! DMR + defib, DMR + anti air, etc!

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 11, 2015

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I kinda hope that Bolt-Actions don't appear in BF5 since they're not a very good weapon class with regards to diversity and balance. Same with pump-actions, although to a lesser extent.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
The biggest issue is that sniper rifles serve no real purpose on the battlefield. The gameplay is too fast-paced to require much recon beyond the occasional spot, and the most popular gamemodes require you to get in close and take territory. Bolt-actions are made for standing still at long distance and taking out people who are also standing still. Those are usually the other snipers with bolt-actions meaning those players just cancel each other out while the rest of the teams do the actual fighting. Their role could easily be filled by DMRs but I guess there are always people who want to sit in one spot for the entire match and end a 30 minute game with 8 kills.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

New Concept Hole posted:

I kinda hope that Bolt-Actions don't appear in BF5 since they're not a very good weapon class with regards to diversity and balance. Same with pump-actions, although to a lesser extent.

you shut your whore mouth

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm really not liking silencers on pretty much anything. They're ridiculously incorrectly broken. Adding a suppressor increases muzzle velocity, not halves it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That's just a confirmed video game trope though, no point whingeing about it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

To me, the Sniper loadout shouldn't even be in the Recon class. What does a Recon get? Tugs, motion balls, and radio spawners. Things that are for getting right up in the action not on a hill half a mile away. I'm having loads of fun with a 4x opticed DMR and the great thing is, DMR's aren't class limited! DMR + defib, DMR + anti air, etc!
That's what carbines and shotguns are for. Get the all-class weapons and you can be a lot more versatile. For example, Golmud Railway is absolutely not PDW friendly, but there's a poo poo ton of tanks rolling around, so you're gonna really want some rockets or something, so I go for engineer with a DMR. Or you could drop a motion sensor in Locker and play as an aggressive CQB recon with a carbine.

Ak Gara posted:

I'm really not liking silencers on pretty much anything. They're ridiculously incorrectly broken. Adding a suppressor increases muzzle velocity, not halves it.
If it helps your immersion, subsonic ammo is a thing IRL which slows the bullet down so the suppressor is more effective.

And you all complaining about bolt actions just need to use canted irons more often, or just plain iron sights without a scope. I get like 2/3 of my kills with the GOL up close like that. Of course it's not easy, it does take practice, and you're gonna have to either hope your first shot puts him down or else just try not to miss the second shot. If you're not using the GOL you should look at the Symthic stats and look for something else with a max-range minimum damage over 50 for the guaranteed 2 shot kill. But once you figure it out you'll be somewhere between a fair fight and untouchable, at any range.

edit: Oh and whichever one of you said to put the M15 tank mines close together, and only use two at a time, I tried it out and that's actually really effective.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 11, 2015

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Shotgun, whizzball, smoke grenades is fun.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

New Concept Hole posted:

Same with pump-actions, although to a lesser extent.

:frogout:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Friar Zucchini posted:

If it helps your immersion, subsonic ammo is a thing IRL which slows the bullet down so the suppressor is more effective.

Semi-auto rifles can't cycle sub-sonic ammo.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Lightweight internals and a bigger gas tube? :shrug:

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Friar Zucchini posted:

That's what carbines and shotguns are for. Get the all-class weapons and you can be a lot more versatile. For example, Golmud Railway is absolutely not PDW friendly, but there's a poo poo ton of tanks rolling around, so you're gonna really want some rockets or something, so I go for engineer with a DMR. Or you could drop a motion sensor in Locker and play as an aggressive CQB recon with a carbine.

And you all complaining about bolt actions just need to use canted irons more often, or just plain iron sights without a scope. I get like 2/3 of my kills with the GOL up close like that. Of course it's not easy, it does take practice, and you're gonna have to either hope your first shot puts him down or else just try not to miss the second shot. If you're not using the GOL you should look at the Symthic stats and look for something else with a max-range minimum damage over 50 for the guaranteed 2 shot kill. But once you figure it out you'll be somewhere between a fair fight and untouchable, at any range.

edit: Oh and whichever one of you said to put the M15 tank mines close together, and only use two at a time, I tried it out and that's actually really effective.

This basically. If you're using more than a 4x on any map outside of MAYBE Dragon's Teeth you're a goddamn moron hill wookie.

On your edit, it lets you be an rear end in a top hat on a much wider span. If you really want to get further into being a mining rear end in a top hat, use SLAMs on routes you see ATVs and MRAPs going regularly. You don't need as many to kill them. You can also drop a pair of slams and an M15 to semi-reliably pop armor. I'm still dicking with that though.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Thing with bolts in BF4 is they're pretty decent if you're actually supporting a push. While a group of roof wookies or someone posted it up is focusing on your team mates, you can put rounds into them or suppress the poo poo out of them. Breaking up resistance is almost as effective as getting the kill when taking a point.

Course, this all goes out the window if you're only playing with pubs.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Nebiros posted:

On your edit, it lets you be an rear end in a top hat on a much wider span. If you really want to get further into being a mining rear end in a top hat, use SLAMs on routes you see ATVs and MRAPs going regularly. You don't need as many to kill them. You can also drop a pair of slams and an M15 to semi-reliably pop armor. I'm still dicking with that though.

Yeah that's how I got all the mine/SLAM kills for Ultimate Engineer, went to an instant vehicle spawn 24/7 Silk Road map and just kept throwing mines in groups of 2 in front of the entrances of D and E. Usually by the end of a match tank and LAV drivers would have smartened up but I usually got 5 or 6 people on bikes and quads each round.

Fun poo poo

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now

Apparition posted:

http://www.gametracker.com/search/bf4/US/?searchipp=50&sort=3&order=DESC

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
There are a lot more than that; however, the server browser for BF4 is hot garbage and often seems to randomly exclude huge swathes of servers for no real reason. I haven't seen a rush server in literally over a year, despite having them enabled in my filters and knowing for a fact there are still some out there.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Backhand posted:

There are a lot more than that; however, the server browser for BF4 is hot garbage and often seems to randomly exclude huge swathes of servers for no real reason. I haven't seen a rush server in literally over a year, despite having them enabled in my filters and knowing for a fact there are still some out there.

Yeah, where are you? I think being more specific helps, and scrolling down loads more.

It's nearly 8pm here in Europe, and pretty healthy selection:

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
I've stopped playing this game since that poo poo-assed nerf, but in Australia I used to sort by players to find servers actually populated (still generally had less than 10 servers with >20 players). Why don't you sort by highest player count then just look through the servers that way?

Doubt I'll play this again, anyway :sigh:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I have no idea why it doesn't work; I'm in NA, I have rush enabled, and I only look at populated servers.

Oh, and I exclude password locked servers, but that's about it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Backhand posted:

This will always be the #1 thing I hate about Battlefield 3 onwards, is that rear end-backwards browser-based server menu. 99% of other games integrate it into the actual game, and have been doing it successfully for over 20 years. I loving hate battlelog.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

sitchelin posted:

This will always be the #1 thing I hate about Battlefield 3 onwards, is that rear end-backwards browser-based server menu. 99% of other games integrate it into the actual game, and have been doing it successfully for over 20 years. I loving hate battlelog.

Even with its faults battlelog is probably the best server browser in the past decade and not integrating it into the client actually owns.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

sitchelin posted:

Battlelog still beats the poo poo out of BF2, Bad Company 2 and other game's server browser. The fact that they can keep tweaking it without needing to patch the whole game makes up for faster feature inclusion and best of all, you can see your friends playing and where they are playing without needing to launch the game.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Remember the BF1942 days when everyone ran All-Seeing Eye, which was pretty much Battlelog without all the good features and as a separate program? Good times.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
dice couldn't make a good in game server browser to save their life, so i was and am still all for the web browser.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I remember having to tell friends the ip address and port of the server we were gonna play on back in the bf2 days

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Does the Battlelog extension for Chrome still tell you to enable NPAPI?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

anthonypants posted:

Does the Battlelog extension for Chrome still tell you to enable NPAPI?

It is extensionless now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

It is extensionless now.

And half the time, pings don't show up now.

Huh, I assumed the XM25 was already a proper weapon, already in use. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34530732

• Locked thread