Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Khizan posted:

You rest a shitload so you can blow all those once/rest summon items.

Some patch made it so you can only have one summon out per character which made things a lot harder, I seriously have no idea how people are managing triple crown now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It does at times feel like 6 is to many party members. I guess though if your doing only 3 party members you're still leveling like crazy. I don't see how you could do the White March with only 3 though.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I have a feeling trying for triple crown achievs is based on very carefully planning out your quest progression and trying to avoid combat best as you can.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah but how do you get past the Shadow Drakes?

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Scroll spam, I'd imagine?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What's good armour for a Barbarian to use with Durgan Steel, I was thinking Coat of Ill Payment.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there anywhere I can obtain a ridiculous foppish hat?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there anywhere I can obtain a ridiculous foppish hat?

There's one upstairs in the first inn and a quest to recover a stolen chest down on the docks in Ondra's gift, I think you can get a super foppish hat for doing that quest, you may need to break the lock to get that reward.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Hollismason posted:

It does at times feel like 6 is to many party members. I guess though if your doing only 3 party members you're still leveling like crazy. I don't see how you could do the White March with only 3 though.

When did triple crown change to mean 3 party members and not toggling those three handicap options?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Chemical_Ali posted:

What are some viable triple crown solo builds?
Paladin and Rogue are the two I see used the most. Paladin because it can hit the highest defensive values in the game. Your offense is mostly through scrolls on harder stuff, and then retaliation (you get to double up through use of the paladin buckler + armor) and some measure of melee + summon items. Rogue because it can hit the highest offensive values in the game. Your defense is mostly through scrolls + summons, and shadow beyond. I've heard of some successful TCS runs using monk, fighter, chanter and barbarian but I haven't read up on their strategies as of late. In all cases I've read it's always been Moon Godlike for the recovery.

As for the general strategy, you avoid a lot of combat in the beginning while you go around and get XP and loot, make a lot of gold and buy the items you want for your build (usually mats for scrolls, summon items, and any particularly special pieces of equipment). RNG scumming the mechanics gloves early in the game is also discussed a bit so you can dedicate as many points into stealth as possible to keep avoiding fights. You also need enough lore to use scrolls of maelstrom.

Re: shadow drakes. The first one you use scrolls of paralyze and maelstrom. Nobody talks about maelstrom a lot in this thread but they're strong when used with paralyze because paralyze tanks reflex saves. The second one you can do the same or just flat out skip it in some circumstances (rogues can just vanish after the trigger and walk straight on through).

Re: summons. The limitation of one doesn't matter. You never really wanted to spam these unless you were brute forcing something in particular. You rotate the summon items between each moderately difficult fight to stretch your resources out.

And Thaos is mostly a matter of breaking up the fight through AI manipulation, either on the path finding or the aggro, and also pulling some tricks from Baldur's Gate like waiting out buffs.

Disclaimer: haven't done the TCS myself but I've done a lot of research on the topic for whenever I want do it, which will probably be never cause it turns out once you've figured out all the tricks and watched all the videos, executing it seems like a mere afterthought, hah. All of this was pre 2.0 but I don't think any of the 2.0 nerfs matter and grabbing any expansion stuff can only make it easier I imagine. Anyway there's a really good solo rogue playthrough here which is the best I know of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6B6p2Wyl9I

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Good lord the skaen temple is an insane slog if you go there before per encounter slicken. The priests have infinite level 4 spells and with the dumb interrupt system and the insane amount of enemies down there there's just nothing to do but kill them as fast as possible while large portions of your party eat ~100 accuracy searing seals and deep wounds arrows. I even had multiple fights where priests would stand on traps so I couldn't target them while they cast infinite searing seals+devotions of the faithful.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 11, 2015

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If your mechanics is high enough you can just pick that first door and skip the vast majority of that temple.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is there any reason to even do the Skaen Temple these days? I can only think of the dagger and robes are down there for magical loot. It's a lot of free money I guess.

I hate that whole temple, never again. I was very happy to hear in the GDC thing when the team was like "did the temple need that cultists? prooobably not" :V

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Khizan posted:

If your mechanics is high enough you can just pick that first door and skip the vast majority of that temple.

I'm using Aloth for mechanics so it's only at 8 at the moment and I tried going through the leather shop this time which actually starts you in a horrible spot that doesn't let you skip all that much.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Just finished the White March content. Immensely satisfying. Looking forward to the second expansion, but I think I'll hang up my D & D boots for a while until then. :)

Brilliant work by Obsidian. I think PoE has set a standard for others to follow.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Depending on where you enter from, the Skaen temple can be done very quickly even if you lack the Mechanics to open that door. If you keep to the northeast, the key should be in one of the smaller rooms as far as I can remember.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What kind of level is it sane to go baron-bashing at?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Do you mean Raedric? Like level 4 to 6. Just play it smart and you can avoid a shitload of fights.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I don't think the 25% increased area effect on barbaric blow works. The UI circle is the same size as a regular attack and enemies fractionally outside it still don't get hit. All that's left is an upgraded critical that will only trigger 1 in 6 times you use it. The area needs to be fixed and the critical upgrade needs to apply to carnage or something because it's loving garbage at the moment.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I decided to go back a hundred pages or so to see some discussion about the game and was very amused to see the word "Sawyerist/Sawyerite" being tossed around. I would just like to say that I was not aware of Sawyerism's existence, though I could sense its presence. From the days of reading the New Vegas thread I knew, in the core of my being, that there had to be a better way to live. The Sawyer way. Praise be to Sawyer. I knew from the very beginning area, when throwing my weapon in dialogue actually threw my weapon, and fruitlessly pushing against a wall with all of my might resulted in fatigue. I knew.

I still haven't played Dungeon Siege 3 even though I own it on PS3, I'm sorry, please forgive me.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 12, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I don't think the 25% increased area effect on barbaric blow works. The UI circle is the same size as a regular attack and enemies fractionally outside it still don't get hit. All that's left is an upgraded critical that will only trigger 1 in 6 times you use it. The area needs to be fixed and the critical upgrade needs to apply to carnage or something because it's loving garbage at the moment.

I've not seen it either.

Anyone else getting weird *EFFECTERROR* messages in the combat log? It seems to be related to Apprentice Sneak Attack which apparently never goes off correctly. I get Tide Fall to go off, but then Apprentice Sneak Attack doesnt when it should. Just Tidefall overall seems to be buggy but its the best sword with the Durgan Steal Enchantment especially with Heart of Fury.

Apprentice Sneak Attack seems to override the special affects of Weapons as well. I can hit with a Draining weapon and if it is Sneak Attack it doesn't seem to actually drain anything.

Also Cloak of the Master Mystic can permanently turn your character invisible which sometimes breaks combat. I killed the Alpine Dragon that way. It critted my guy he turned invisibile Alpine Dragon just stood there as he murdered it with a estoc. All the rest of the team was dead. Nothing attacked my guy either.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 12, 2015

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Earlier in the topic I think I remember some talk of making Eder a great tank while Dual Wielding, is that still possible? I have him with a one hander and shield all the time but dual wielding sounds a good idea to try.

Could anyone advise the best way of doing this, with talents and if there is any specific gear needed?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

RoboJoe posted:

Earlier in the topic I think I remember some talk of making Eder a great tank while Dual Wielding, is that still possible? I have him with a one hander and shield all the time but dual wielding sounds a good idea to try.

Could anyone advise the best way of doing this, with talents and if there is any specific gear needed?

I ran Eder in my previous game as a Dual Wielder after people suggested it and it really is amazing. I will post his gear and skills that I ended up with at level 14. However it's basically go with Sabres in the beginning because you get some great Sabres early on and they have the highest damage potential early on. Then switch to Battle Axes late game because you can enchant with Durgan Steel which improves their Crit Damage + makes them Crit More and makes them faster. It's kind of insane. With Durgan Steel enchanted armor and armored grace your getting 20% Recovery Rate on Plate Mail.

Basically the skills are

Ruffian Weapon Specialization
Weapon Mastery
Armored Grace
Two Hand Fighitng Style
Vulnerable Attack for the DR Reduction ( This is amazing with the Estoc and the Gauntlets that give you DR as well)
or
Savage Attack for the additional Bonus
Knock Down
Confident Aim
Unbroken
Confident Aim
Sundering Blow

Right now though I have Eder equiped for two handed weapon with the Soul Bound , Sanguine Plate, Vambraces with DR built in.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 13, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My Eder is technically dual wielding since Larder Door acts as a weapon as well as a shield.

What's the best way to use Kana? The chants don't seem to do a lot, and by the time he's got enough phrases out for a spell the battle is mostly over anyway.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Okay that sounds great, thanks, I'll have to try this out.

Question though: You don't use Defender to engage more targets, does that make him take too much damage while dual wielding? I generally try to get my Eder to tie up as many people as possible at the start of combat, but I guess Defender (+ Hold the Line) isn't really needed?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

It probably depends on your party. If you have a totally defensive specced fighter with a lot of squishy ranged guys, then defender is good. But if you're speccing Eder for offense, I suspect you're not counting on him to take all the damage for your team. In that case, defender and hold the line aren't worth it. Since enemies seem to be a lot more willing to eat disengagement attacks than when I started playing, the defense build doesn't seem worth it, in my opinion, especially compared with how awesome paladins are now. A bunch of people on the official forums are in a frenzy about this and think it makes fighters worthless, but the offense build does exactly what the loading screen tips say fighters are supposed to do: it deals very reliable, if not extremely high damage, it requires no maintenance and it never dies.

Edit: It's possibly I'm not fully understanding your question, but defender doesn't make Eder take any less damage. Since 2.0 it makes him take more damage. Situationally, it can make everyone else on the team take a lot less damage.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

That makes sense in regards to my party, as I currently have three ranged (Cipher, Wizard, and a Priest) and three melee (Eder as a tank, Paladin with two hander, and a Chanter with two hander).

Maybe it's not really worth having a shield and Defender and I should just make Eder Dual Wield with Hollismason's build.

Also in regards to your edit I think I worded my question poorly. I meant as my current Eder has a shield and Defender (for more engagement targets), would Eder dual-wielding with Defender cause him to take too much damage to be viable as a tank because he no longer has a Shield and other abilities for more defence.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I see, my experience is that Eder is still pretty much unkillable past the early game even without a shield on hard or lower. He will go down fast under heavy pressure on PotD without a shield, especially early on, but I haven't finished my PotD run and my party doesn't have any dedicated tanks, so I'm not the best source of advice if that's the difficulty you're playing on.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
If you are playing Hard or lower I wouldn't ever bother with shields. On PoTD I haven't bothered with shields since disengagement attacks occur much more frequently since 2.0. But honestly he has still basically been unkillable even without the shield (assuming the fight is a reasonable time to do). My paladin uses the DR aura and has the ally deflection buff when he uses Flames of Devotion so that has skewed the results though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Eder's fine however you equip him on potd, provided you haven't hosed everything else about your approach up.

Your greatest concern with him is that his health pool might run out a bit fast and you'll have to rest. But probably not.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Also I have been playing around with giving most of my guys sneak attack and modifying interdiction with weakness. Especially nice for trash fights using AI as Durance always casts it right away and then it lets everyone else go to town.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, now that you can easily respec out of it once a per encounter ability is no longer all that attractive I think getting Painful Interdiction is a really good path to take for a Priest.

The Lone Badger posted:

What's the best way to use Kana? The chants don't seem to do a lot, and by the time he's got enough phrases out for a spell the battle is mostly over anyway.
What difficulty are you on? Below PotD I found Chanters pretty underwhelming.

sassassin posted:

Eder's fine however you equip him on potd, provided you haven't hosed everything else about your approach up.

Your greatest concern with him is that his health pool might run out a bit fast and you'll have to rest. But probably not.
Never really been a problem for me. Once he starts running low I just send in Kana or a buffed Wizard first.

Also, re: what Hollismason said about Edér:
You can (and should) have both Savage and Vulnerable Attack active at the same time.
Also, Axes aren't really that great because once you reach a high enough amount of damage modifiers they have to be critting all the time to even keep up with what Sabres do on a regular hit. Good uniques, though, and now that you can give them White Forge upgrades they've caught up a bit.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 13, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rascyc posted:

I've heard of some successful TCS runs using monk, fighter, chanter

I'm slogging through a chanter run, where the strategy boils down to "kite like a complete rear end in a top hat, try and split pulls at the very end of their leash range, and hang out at said range until you can drop a summon on their head". Don't even have an itemsummon yet, but that's likely to just simplify Step Three.

Rogue is probably the correct decision, all things considered.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

You might be able to make an argument for axes over sabers in some special circumstances. Edge of Reason could be preferable to an exceptional Purgatory depending on how much you care about accuracy. Purgatory obviously wins if it has no competition for upgrade materials. We Toki has prone on crit, annihilation and room to take a slaying enchantment, which might be more desirable than either of the annihilation sabers for a few builds. Rimecutter looks pretty nice if you actually ever get it (Azzuro doesn't show up nearly often enough. He should really come about four times as often once your prestige hits 50, at least so you have some reward for maxing the stronghold) Otherwise sabers are king. Bittercut makes that especially true since its special property completely negates the main disadvantage of either sabers or axes (slash is the shittiest damage type and corrode is probably the best) and its damage can be boosted further by Spirit of Decay against quite a large number of enemies.

Hand Row posted:

If you are playing Hard or lower I wouldn't ever bother with shields. On PoTD I haven't bothered with shields since disengagement attacks occur much more frequently since 2.0. But honestly he has still basically been unkillable even without the shield (assuming the fight is a reasonable time to do). My paladin uses the DR aura and has the ally deflection buff when he uses Flames of Devotion so that has skewed the results though.

Shields can be really good for certain builds at high levels. Bucklers are probably the optimal choice for melee ciphers that don't use reach weapons once you hit level 13 and have durgan steel. Other classes do quite well with them too since durgan steel means you'll swing a good bit faster than a two hander. I had a saber and buckler rogue who was quite durable (on hard) and put out 90+ damage crits regularly. It's probably not optimal, but it's nice if you have a large front line and want a character that does loads of damage but doesn't need constant baby sitting.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I just use whatever equitment looks coolest :shrug:

I mean, not 100% of the time but I will take a cool looking fit over complete min/max most of the time.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
What's the replay value on this game? Are their branching story paths like Witcher 2 or is it more of a BG2 long rear end campaign with tons of stuff to do but fairly linear in nature?

I am just trying to sequence which games I play in which order since I probably won't be picking up the xpac till part 2 comes out.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

MikeC posted:

What's the replay value on this game? Are their branching story paths like Witcher 2 or is it more of a BG2 long rear end campaign with tons of stuff to do but fairly linear in nature?

I am just trying to sequence which games I play in which order since I probably won't be picking up the xpac till part 2 comes out.

much more like baldur's gate.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MikeC posted:

It's a long linear campaign pretty much. One of my main criticisms of Pillars is towards the end, third act specifically, there's just tons of combat and it gets a bit grindy.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

BG2 has better replayability, imo, because it has more choices. Choosing between Bodhi and the Shadow Thieves, getting class-based strongholds. and more joinable NPCs with personality.

None of these things will significantly impact the overall game, of course, but they do change the flavour of the playthrough. A PC rogue with Viconia/Edwin/Korgan/Mazzy/Jan who sides with Bodhi will feel different from a PC Priest who picks the Shadow Thieves and runs with Keldorn/Aerie/Jaheira/Minsc/Nalia, even when the game isn't actually that different.

Pillars of Eternity has so few party members with personality that you'll have to reuse some between playthroughs, and aside from the Dozens/Knights/Doemenel choice there's no real branching points that will make one playthrough feel different from any other, and that branching point is basically just deciding which of their three quests you'd rather do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I have yet to see any reactions from NPCS regarding my Character being a evil wandering murderer. I mean even though everyone objects to what they think you should do they seem to have little or no Response to you doing the most utterly evil things you can in the game.

Game really just doesn't feel different with a Evil vs. Good Character.

Who's the best to sacrifice to the Blood Pit? Can you sacrifice NPCs you create? I'm thinking of the monk because I don't like him and he's annoying.

• Locked thread