Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bres0048
Oct 29, 2012

kikkelivelho posted:

For months CIG has been showing us new animations, features and assets in the Star Marine updates and at times the FPS portion has looked passable.

Yet in the Citizencon demo none of those things they've shown in the past months were present. Either the FPS build was never integrated or the process is so hosed up it's better to show nothing.

It would also affirm that DS was right about the FPS being janky and held together by nerd sweat and cheetohs powder.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

1stGear posted:

Star Citizen's commitment to realism is such that you must mimic accurate tactical positioning and engagements at all times. If at any point you fail to perform as detailed in modern special operations tactics manuals, you are immediately killed and forced to take a quiz on proper combat procedures before you respawn.

Sandi's commitment to hygiene is such that you must achieve total pubic hair removal and be smooth at all times. If at any point you fail to perform as detailed in Sandi's special pubic hair removal manuals, you are immediately sent home and forced to take a course in pubic hygiene procedures before you return.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Iridium posted:

man, remember when people around here were worried about all the SC J4Gs that popped up?

like, three years ago now?

lol

I gotta say, the 2 SC threads back then were a fair bit more hilarious, what with the special J4G avatar program and Imp Zone getting to play with y'all.

Nowadays...yea, it's still entertaining but watching CIG descend into madness just makes it take on a depressing subtext. :(

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

You are. He broke a contract with Kevin Costner, was sued into oblivion, blacklisted by SAG and forced to sell off his production company because there was no possible way he could work in Hollywood anymore.

He failed in Hollywood, is bitter and used MMO money to make a 10 hour movie.

He wasn't blacklisted by SAG. It was Creative Artists Agency, the guys who repped Costner.

I'd imagine being blacklisted by SAG would be less of tragedy, since you could just go overseas and get foreign talent, than being blacklisted by the biggest and most powerful talent agency in Hollywood.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

peter gabriel posted:

WTF happened to Santaball anyway?

Edit: What even was it?

Sataball was an FPS module game mode from last year when CIG was giving people the impression / was itself under the impression it would be able to proceed with Illfonic's product. If CIG has dumped it in lieu of continued and focused development of the important elements of SQ42, so be it.

It was basically Ender's Game crossed with that RC car soccer game on Steam.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
Someone post the screencap from months ago denying that Star Marine was delayed indefinitely and it was just a matter of weeks and not months.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I guess we will inherit nothing. HAPPY BIRTHDAY STAR CITIZEN!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Gamesguy posted:

So Rebel Galaxy, a tiny budget game made by a two man dev team, is looking to be far better than Squadron 42 will be.

It also releases in a week.

We're getting to the point where there needs to be a list of space games that have been completed since the original kickstarter finish + 6 month date.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

oh my god...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Potato Salad posted:

Sataball was an FPS module game mode from last year when CIG was giving people the impression / was itself under the impression it would be able to proceed with Illfonic's product. If CIG has dumped it in lieu of continued and focused development of the important elements of SQ42, so be it.

It was basically Ender's Game crossed with that RC car soccer game on Steam.

That at least sounds interesting although nothing to do with Santa as I can tell so gently caress em

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Incombibulator posted:

Sandi's commitment to hygiene is such that you must achieve total pubic hair removal and be smooth at all times. If at any point you fail to perform as detailed in Sandi's special pubic hair removal manuals, you are immediately sent home and forced to take a course in pubic hygiene procedures before you return.

The pube joke is towards the end of running its course. It's not shorn down completely yet, but it's getting there fast.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I called the branch merge failure like two months ago (that one progress report that said the merge was taking... longer than expected) and Octopode called me an idiot, well who's the idiot now???

It's painfully obvious they completely scrapped the separate arena shooter module in order to make it all one overarching "large world" module. You can tell based on the weapon handling and HUD, absolutely nothing is the same from earlier in the year. Illfonic pretty much made a map and that's it at this point.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 12, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Potato Salad posted:

The pube joke is towards the end of running its course. It's not shorn down completely yet, but it's getting there fast.

No point waxing lyrical about it

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Potato Salad posted:

A pube joke in the hand is worth two in the bush.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Justin Tyme posted:

I called the branch merge failure like two months ago (that one progress report that said the merge was taking... longer than expected) and Octopode called me an idiot, well who's the idiot now???

You, for talking to Octopede :(

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

BexGu posted:

We're getting to the point where there needs to be a list of space games that have been completed since the original kickstarter finish + 6 month date.

Space games completed since Star Citizen Kickstarter campaign: All of them.

Star Citizens committing sudoku since CIG's Bankruptcy: Soon to be all of them

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Paladinus posted:

And maybe CitCon is yet another, completely unrelated convention for a different game called Star Citizen. Man, no wonder devs can't tell what the hell Star Marine is, when they've got three different conventions, five alpha versions and two Robertses on their hands.

In that case is one of them a Bizarro Roberts that cuts extraneous features, can manage staff and resources effectively and maintains realistic goals? We could really use that Roberts.

bres0048
Oct 29, 2012

What I really can't wrap my head around is there haven't been any new stretch goals since 65m. How does he validate taking more money to produce this.

Malleovic
Sep 8, 2007

OMGGG you could've tripped and DIED

grimcreaper posted:

Star Citizens committing sudoku since CIG's Bankruptcy: Soon to be all of them
Took me a while to realize that that game isn't even Japanese.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

bres0048 posted:

What I really can't wrap my head around is there haven't been any new stretch goals since 65m. How does he validate taking more money to produce this.

it wrapped around. We're back to funding the arena game for the 2nd time (hence 2.0).

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Malleovic posted:

Could be Nigerian

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Malleovic posted:

But its still a game, unlike Star Citizen.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Young Freud posted:

He wasn't blacklisted by SAG. It was Creative Artists Agency, the guys who repped Costner.

I'd imagine being blacklisted by SAG would be less of tragedy, since you could just go overseas and get foreign talent, than being blacklisted by the biggest and most powerful talent agency in Hollywood.

True, I thought it was SAG. But yeah, if you are blacklisted by a powerful talent agency, then you are super hosed. Nobody is going to want to work with you, ever. Not to mention he broke a contract, which is literally the dumbest loving thing you can do. He was treating Hollywood like he treated game development, except in Hollywood they don't gently caress around.

Even if he wasn't blacklisted, I guarantee nobody would work with him anyway, because if he broke a contract with Costner, he'd do it to anyone.

bres0048 posted:

There are stretch goals, they are just new jpegs now and not announced.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

bres0048 posted:

You are looking at it wrong. 65M was when he ran out of ideas for stretch goals and came to the realization it didn't matter people would still throw money at him.

And now we've discovered that giving dates and missing them leads to complaints. So no dates for anything ever.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Paladinus posted:

There's a button you press on your controller and your character makes a slow dramatic slit throat gesture.

What's the over/under on that being a free rear end emote

Malleovic
Sep 8, 2007

OMGGG you could've tripped and DIED

Dapper Dan posted:

Even if he wasn't blacklisted, I guarantee nobody would work with him anyway, because if he broke a contract with Costner, he'd do it to anyone.

That makes me wonder though- how did he get the cast announced at CitCon to sign on to SQ42?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Malleovic posted:

That makes me wonder though- how did he get the cast announced at CitCon to sign on to SQ42?

Money.

Edit: Make no mistake, Oldman aside, that is not exactly an A-list cast. They're all awesome, and with with our Sci-Fi media exposure (male, geeky spaceship enthusiasts) we run a good chance of familiar with most if not all of them. The world at large, however, doesn't know who Gillian Anderson is, nor has Mark Hamill despite his unbelievable talent been exactly reigning in monster dollars. Hamill is worth ±$6M according to a quick, Octopode-grade Google search, and so far as I know most of the rest of the people in that cast are one-hit wonders or daytime television stars.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 12, 2015

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

What's the over/under on that being a free rear end emote

that's not how o/u works :argh:

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Malleovic posted:

By paying up front?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Probably up front money

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
cash upfront

bres0048
Oct 29, 2012

I see they partnered up with Origin PC
https://www.originpc.com/promotion/2015/october-promo/

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If the voiceover acting ends up being as underwhelming / flat as it was with some/many of the characters in the SQ42 demo, it's entirely likely some of it may be done over with talents trained in that field of dramatic performance. If the rest of CIG's cash is planned out for the fifteen-ish months as "loving Get SQ42 Out the Goddamn Door," getting a good cast to do a few hours of capture each won't honestly cost all that much. Excellent talent is reasonable, and good voice talent can be bought at a freaking steal.

Source: cursory reading + a bunch of panels at conventions by voice actors. I reserve the right to be corrected, but unlike Octopode I won't argue with you.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Origin PC has been going down the shitter for years now.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

So was it CR's micromanagement and "vision" the hosed illfonic, or are they incompetent and did it to themselves and got canned? I honestly have no idea but odds are a few of those guys are DSmart's sources.

Can someone link the story of CR breaking a contract with Costner? Because lol if I'm gonna my to take goons posting as fact.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Justin Tyme posted:

I'm guessing you're talking about this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735644&pagenumber=70&perpage=40#post449352599 ?

Notable things that post lacks: calling you an idiot.

You shouldn't tell lies.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wrong Origin.

"Star Citizen Download Bundle**"

There is no ** footnote. Even that failed to deliver.

"Star Citizen Bundle only applicable on select qualified AMD GPUs"
Old stock?

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

quote:

Chris Roberts isn't blacklisted, he filed a cross complaint with the CAA who represented Kevin Costner during the negotiation phase - this was done after having agreed a settlement with Kevin Costner. I can imagine that behaviour isn't good form in Hollywood.

What might have done much worse to him and his ability as movie producer, is that Ascendant Pictures entered a verbal agreement with Kevin Costner saying that he is going to finance the movie project - then even worse, keeping Kevin Costner in the dark about the state of the project when financing collapsed and they tried to save the project. On which they ultimately failed. Most probably this co-incidented with the closure of the German financing loop-hole that ultimately also shut-up Uwe Boll.

Kevin Costner was pissed that he wasted his time and had the feeling that he was held warm, a result being that he couldn't realise USD 8MM that he would have otherwise made if he knew that financing wouldn't come through.

So - you don't piss off all those people. And you ensure that you are able to keep your word when you give it, because your word is all you have, in that kind of industry.

Even though Kevin Costner isn't a topper anymore, he is a loving Oscar Winner, so has a lot of influence and reach. Hollywood is known to be a tight band of assholes that fucks you up, if you deal with them wrongly. So there's that.

That's most probably also the reason why most actors in SQ42 are British. Or could be a reason. (Most of the Americans he got have had a former relation with Chris Roberts)

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bres0048
Oct 29, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

Origin PC has been going down the shitter for years now.

That makes me sad I had been looking at them vs. Cyberpower. What would you recommend?

• Locked thread