Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Unfunny Poster posted:

If I remember correctly, it's the Game Theory guy who is really lovely with his analysis/breakdown of video games.

Nah, it's some random youtube video games person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

kikkelivelho posted:

I assume croberts has not stated how those are actually going to work.

Honestly, if CIG can't standardize a docking collar size after the compound failures that were non-standard weapon slots leading to them finally releasing geometry to which each weapon and weapon slot must conform, this thread may as well just be closed now and replaced with one purely focused on games journalism.

Those docking collar points are on a couple larger ships (Retaliator is one of them, Connie another) and they aren't in unreasonable locations. They could probably slide by with a bare-minimum "curtain extends hey now your ship is copulating with another ship" and get away with it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paladinus posted:

Nah, it's some random youtube video games person.

Sounds really similar to those guys then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgkoz5EZTok

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Szcwczuk posted:

Something awful isn't much better at not being and echo chamber however the voting part of reddit makes topics really stale a boring.

Your echo chamber? The tides moved for and against Star Citizen, even the first GBS thread didn't impact it much but now that there have been a significant amount of failures this thread is mostly turning against RSI as far as I can tell.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Whatever people says, if she is really the head of marketing and not just a figurehead, she is pretty drat good at selling spaceship jpeg.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I've never seen a dissenting view on r/starcitizen get over 50 upvotes.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

I forgot that I had my already-sold Idris-M left up on another listing. I had a $2400 dollar offer on it today. This is in spite of the fact that there is currently a $2500 package where you get an Idris along with like 6 other ships.

"Yes," says the grey marketer, "But that picture of a capital ship doesn't have a picture of a rail gun attached."

Rest assured the grey market is fine.
You mind hooking me up with that person?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

thatguy posted:

and look at all of the posts referencing octopode. we all may disagree with him because he's generally wrong and insufferable, but we all read his posts. we don't downvote everything he does and ignore he exists, which automatically makes us less of an echo chamber than anywhere the brown sea still flows.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Unfunny Poster posted:

That was clearly a business trip for R&D purposes.

Didn't use backer money for trip.

Pays with personal credit card.

Pays self $300,000 salary with backer money.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Filthy Monkey posted:

You mind hooking me up with that person?

I was listed through Star Hangar and you can get in touch with them by messaging https://www.reddit.com/user/Realypk/, not sure who their buyer was.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Octopode isn't patently incorrect about everything, just insufferable when trying to drive a point. I recall the "Here's a link to California Law XYZ, enjoy being wrong!" where "Here's a link to California Law XYZ" could have done just fine. CR could also have benefited from being less verbose and keeping to the point.

I've found that just buttoning my lips and re-reading poo poo has been a good fix for taking a bad / naive stance on something elsewhere in SA.

Edit: holy poo poo Octopode's stuff about virtualization was hilarious though.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
All of yall so negative and here I am just chillin after a super successful Cit Con, bros

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Shala posted:

All of yall so negative and here I am just chillin after a super successful Cit Con, bros

#Justcultistthings

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

When CIG releases their making of DVD I want it to be narrated by a slightly too drunk Wingman and Rob Irving.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

CrazyLoon posted:

I just don't understand how someone gets to this sort of point.

I just don't! I mean...I'm spergy as gently caress about certain things (though I keep it to myself better than most). poo poo, Mass Effect mentioned there? Yea, I sperg about it a lot. But even I would never go full-out retard like this.

And waste even more time making a video to proclaim it to the world too!

How does a human being get to this point?

Its about being a part of a reality that, even when its a poo poo hole where everyone is being murdered by space robots, its still better than your little poo poo existence. Its the ability to dream you are something you can never be in real life. It gives some people hope, and i know where the kids coming from in the sense that during my worst depression, being able to fantasize about the game worlds prevented me from thinking some very dark thoughts.

But at the same time, i dont ever think "This is home." so, while i may have gone Almost Full retard, hes stepped beyond it just a bit. Or a lot.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

thatguy posted:

On the beginning it did. CIG eventually began posting there. Over time the more vocal parts of the brown sea realized not only could they defend their point of view, but also remove them from view.

Every subreddit is designed to become a hugbox.

For example, if you read only the politics subreddit you would think Bernie Sanders is destined to win the election by a landslide.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

If the voiceover acting ends up being as underwhelming / flat as it was with some/many of the characters in the SQ42 demo, it's entirely likely some of it may be done over with talents trained in that field of dramatic performance. If the rest of CIG's cash is planned out for the fifteen-ish months as "loving Get SQ42 Out the Goddamn Door," getting a good cast to do a few hours of capture each won't honestly cost all that much. Excellent talent is reasonable, and good voice talent can be bought at a freaking steal.

In other words, SQ42 is gonna be 10 hours of nolan north talking to nolan north, with a supporting cast of nolan north.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Dusty Lens posted:

When CIG releases their making of DVD I want it to be narrated by a slightly too drunk Wingman and Rob Irving.

And it will just be a riff-trax of them talking over all the lovely video Crowbars has created in the last few years.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Bitter Beard posted:

Your echo chamber? The tides moved for and against Star Citizen, even the first GBS thread didn't impact it much but now that there have been a significant amount of failures this thread is mostly turning against RSI as far as I can tell.

Put it this way - SA deffo is an echo chamber, since it's formed its own culture and sub-cultures over the decade and a half now. And with any kind of culture, echo chambers come quite naturally. There was one on this topic, once, where there was an actual J4G avatar buying programme in place for about a year or so and now there's another, where we all just talk about whatever and poo poo all over this lunacy.

That being said, though, SA's general opinions certainly have the potential to change moreso than elsewhere. And not because loving GBS or Imp Zone trolls the poo poo out of this thread, that didn't change anyone's opinion other than be hilariously funny. Mainly due to SA absolutely stagnating and refusing to make the same mistakes the rest of the internet is (such as like and dislike buttons).

Anyway, onto more important topics. I'm currently stuffing myself with crispy potatoes and can't help but imagine that CIG should've just ran wild with it and posted something like this for their new ship:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

grimcreaper posted:

Its about being a part of a reality that, even when its a poo poo hole where everyone is being murdered by space robots, its still better than your little poo poo existence. Its the ability to dream you are something you can never be in real life. It gives some people hope, and i know where the kids coming from in the sense that during my worst depression, being able to fantasize about the game worlds prevented me from thinking some very dark thoughts.

But at the same time, i dont ever think "This is home." so, while i may have gone Almost Full retard, hes stepped beyond it just a bit. Or a lot.

It's about a reality that falls neatly into the personal narrative one has constructed where all people who choose to spend money on a game of their choosing suffer from some mental disorder that you get to play the hero and save them from. The reality is that people see something in games that excites them, and they are willing to spend money because of that.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Io_ posted:

And it will just be a riff-trax of them talking over all the lovely video Crowbars has created in the last few years.

Basically I just want it to be like mystery science theater 3000 but instead of laughing at terrible movies they're going to be laughing at terrible design promises.

Edit: Someone who followed the subreddit more closely could probably school me on this but I always felt that the place went tits up either around the time when people started to feel that if you whitewashed the news the health of the ship sale market would be stronger or around the time INN started to wallpaper the place.

But I only visited casually as it was a pretty good place to pick up news and information back in the glory days of earnest enthusiasm.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 12, 2015

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Unfunny Poster posted:

The name and the price of the new ship revealed were off, but only slightly.

The name wasn't "Vindicator" but "Sabre" but the fluff text kept calling it "POTATO" which makes people think it was changed last minute.

The price was also not $175, but the low low price of $170.

Everything else was pretty much spot on.

The Star Citizen Sabre actually looks like being fairly inspired by the Wing Commander Sabre. I was wondering if they actually did try to identify the internal leak by seeding various ship names to see which ones got out. Ofc, they could just have had the intention to release the Sabre as Vindicator, similiar like the Rapier became the Gladius.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

sorla78 posted:

The Star Citizen Sabre actually looks like being fairly inspired by the Wing Commander Sabre. I was wondering if they actually did try to identify the internal leak by seeding various ship names to see which ones got out. Ofc, they could just have had the intention to release the Sabre as Vindicator, similiar like the Rapier became the Gladius.

It seems more likely that the original ship was called the Vindicator due to the general Aegis naming conventions with the Sabre being the name that the nostalgia team pulled out of a hat.

But as the ship model is more or less a 1:1 kitbash of the Vanguard I imagine that was the design influence. Just resize and move around elements from a popular ship and call it new.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Unfunny Poster posted:

Imagine a Wing Commander IP game that's a C&C RTS using FMV?

:pusheen:

Edit - Also is Tiberium Wars 3 any good?

Late as gently caress, but I consider Tib Wars 3, and Kane's Wrath, to be the best C&C installments outside of Tib Sun. The multiplayer is janky as gently caress because of a "Desync" issue that EA never bothered to fix, and the game itself has a spotty record of working at all but EA basically abandoned it. drat shame.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

grimcreaper posted:

Right. I mean, I get escaping into fantasy whenever someone's depressed or poo poo. That's normal. But saying "This is home" is mental. At the end of the day, it's just pixels and dreams - it can't love you back.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

It seems more likely that the original ship was called the Vindicator due to the general Aegis naming conventions with the Sabre being the name that the nostalgia team pulled out of a hat.

But as the ship model is more or less a 1:1 kitbash of the Vanguard I imagine that was the design influence. Just resize and move around elements from a popular ship and call it new.

Or there was more than one ship ready for release.

There's no way to tell anymore.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

CrazyLoon posted:

Put it this way - SA deffo is an echo chamber, since it's formed its own culture and sub-cultures over the decade and a half now. And with any kind of culture, echo chambers come quite naturally. There was one on this topic, once, where there was an actual J4G avatar buying programme in place for about a year or so and now there's another, where we all just talk about whatever and poo poo all over this lunacy.

That being said, though, SA's general opinions certainly have the potential to change moreso than elsewhere. And not because loving GBS or Imp Zone trolls the poo poo out of this thread, that didn't change anyone's opinion other than be hilariously funny. Mainly due to SA absolutely stagnating and refusing to make the same mistakes the rest of the internet is (such as like and dislike buttons).

Anyway, onto more important topics. I'm currently stuffing myself with crispy potatoes and can't help but imagine that CIG should've just ran wild with it and posted something like this for their new ship:

enjoy getting fat on carbs, carb fatty

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

CrazyLoon posted:

Mass Effect mentioned

Indoctrination ending is real. :spergin:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Dusty Lens posted:

Edit: Someone who followed the subreddit more closely could probably school me on this but I always felt that the place went tits up either around the time when people started to feel that if you whitewashed the news the health of the ship sale market would be stronger or around the time INN started to wallpaper the place.

I think half the mods are INN people now, but it's been a hugbox for a long time anyways.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
and they come over here and call us a hugbox, echo chamber, hivemind?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
I used to believe. Now its just kinda sad. Also loving hilarious, but sad.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I'm just not sure why the game needed another single seat superiority fighter. It's going to be drat hard to distinguish all of these now. Ignoring variants you've now got, in the single seat ship category,

Aurora
Mustang
Reliant
M50
300 series
Gladiator
Avenger
Merlin
Khartu-Al
Herald
Hull-A/B
Gladius
Hornet
Scythe
Glaive
Cutlass
Vanguard
Sabre

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm just not sure why the game needed another single seat superiority fighter. It's going to be drat hard to distinguish all of these now. Ignoring variants you've now got, in the single seat ship category,

Aurora
Mustang
Reliant
M50
300 series
Gladiator
Avenger
Merlin
Khartu-Al
Herald
Hull-A/B
Gladius
Hornet
Scythe
Glaive
Cutlass
Vanguard
Sabre

Are you suggesting they all be mashed together, their pilots be standardized on a single uniform and flight jacket so that people do no sour on their purchases and allow the cream can rise to the top?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Something awful isn't an echo chamber because when everyone here love star citizen and a couple of us were making fun of it in the thread we didn't get silenced, just had people be dickish. Now when everyone hates it we don't try to actually silence octopode, just people are dicks to him. Nobody has ever been made to not post unless they brought something creepy into it

I really hope reddit starts decaying and a less circle jerky format comes into play

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

One of you mentioned that the Illfonic work might have to be re-done, and that the FPS isn't coming out any time soon, so I made a quick thread in the brown sea.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/289566/so-they-are-starting-the-fps-work-over#latest

The ones who agree with me have to couch their negative opinion/agreement with paragraphs of assurances that they love CIG and believe completely in Star Citizen.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gestalt Intellect posted:

In other words, SQ42 is gonna be 10 hours of nolan north talking to nolan north, with a supporting cast of nolan north.

So, just like the Deadpool game?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CrazyLoon posted:

I think that's true, but Derek Smart is who really sent it over the edge, because it was really (ironically) funny at first. Now it's just funny.

A larger point about Star Citizen: For better or for worse, pop culture has been totally taken over by the philosophy that Your Tastes are the best ones and that anyone who doesn't like them is a bad person and an elitist at best and perhaps even immoral. And we're encouraged at every opportunity to retreat inwards and enjoy the things we already like. Enjoy Star Wars? We'll make it so you never have to enjoy anything BUT Star Wars, if that's what you want. When you're not playing video games you're reading about them or watching other people play them. Then you can strap VR goggles on and enjoy it even more. The like/dislike buttons and algorithms make it easier.

It is what it is. I have my nerdy self-obsessions. But SA is out of step with the times, because the culture industry in general (not just gaming websites) do not want to tell people that they're making bad decisions when it comes to the cultural products they consume. Don't like Star Citizen? Well, then you are trying to smash people's dreams and fantasies, you monster. Yeah, there are still bad reviews. But the idea that you shouldn't emotionally invest themselves in any specific franchise is verboten, and companies are criticized when they're not catering to our self-obsessions effectively enough:

http://io9.com/force-friday-was-a-disaster-for-many-star-wars-fans-1728765957

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 12, 2015

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Eonwe posted:

Something awful isn't an echo chamber because when everyone here love star citizen and a couple of us were making fun of it in the thread we didn't get silenced, just had people be dickish. Now when everyone hates it we don't try to actually silence octopode, just people are dicks to him. Nobody has ever been made to not post unless they brought something creepy into it

I really hope reddit starts decaying and a less circle jerky format comes into play

Yeah, the giant sign that this isn't an echo chamber is the fact that the average opinion in this community has change over time as the situation became more clear and the descenting minority became more convincing. That doesn't happen in an echo chamber by definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'm printing out this post and framing it.

• Locked thread