Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

luminalflux posted:

Also in addition to the dogs, someone brought in their cat (who's bigger than a couple of the dogs here) and another brought in their pet miniature pig.

Wait what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

NEVERMIND

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Whatever JavaScript trickery is being used that detects when your mouse cursor leaves the HTML canvas area and dims the screen to pop up a "please don't leave!" notification can gently caress right off.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

BigDave posted:

Wait what

Meet Lando Oinkrissian

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'll take ten.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

luminalflux posted:

Meet Lando Oinkrissian

That's clearly Porkins

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

luminalflux posted:

Meet Lando Oinkrissian

I'm not sure what to do with this information. Pigs are being domesticated and used as pets?! What a world!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You have a problem. You check any pop-up errors, you check the native logs, you check event viewer. You take whatever you glean from those sources, you throw it into Google, you read a blog post about the issue, and you fix the motherfucker.

I have a client who was running into a weird server error whenever they ran updates and rebooted - their on-site guy couldn't figure it out, I jumped in, checked the logs and found an issue with a hardware driver that was hanging/crashing. Update driver, reboot server, problem solved - spent all of 30 minutes, tops, fixing a problem that had been happening for months.

EVENT VIEWER MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU USE IT??

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Dang I want chicharrones now.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Ozz81 posted:

I have a client who was running into a weird server error whenever they ran updates and rebooted - their on-site guy couldn't figure it out, I jumped in, checked the logs and found an issue with a hardware driver that was hanging/crashing. Update driver, reboot server, problem solved - spent all of 30 minutes, tops, fixing a problem that had been happening for months.

EVENT VIEWER MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU USE IT??

Our Software Development guys don't know how to write to the Event Log, so heeeeeey.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah I remember when I'd only read 5 chapters of my first programming book too, but I didn't have the sense to get paid for it.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Seriously, come in Monday morning having forgotten your laptop at home, demand a loaner and hang your lip down and give me poo poo because our loaner laptops (Latitude E6400s) aren't as fast as your laptop that you LEFT AT HOME!

loving rear end in a top hat. If you were a carpenter and left your hammer and saw at home, you would be laughed the gently caress out of the site.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Our Software Development guys don't know how to write to the Event Log, so heeeeeey.

I write to the Event Tracing for Windows system and pretty much no one knows how to use that :shrug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BigDave posted:

I'm not sure what to do with this information. Pigs are being domesticated and used as pets?! What a world!

Did you miss the potbelly pig craze of the 90's? People were pretty surprised when their little pet pig got to be 80lbs. 80lb of pig is a beast compared to a 80lb dog.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

Did you miss the potbelly pig craze of the 90's? People were pretty surprised when their little pet pig got to be 80lbs. 80lb of pig is a beast compared to a 80lb dog.
Believe it or don't but people are still getting surprised by that.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 12, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Luckily, there's an easy and delicious solution.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Luckily, there's an easy and delicious solution.

My grandparents had a small farm and they had a pig that was a runt. So they brought it in the house, my mom raised it and named it 'peanut butter' after it's favorite food. Christmas ham was glorious that year, or so they say.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

They're remodeling the retail showroom on one end of our building. They start taking ceiling tiles and poo poo out, the phone and data wires are a nightmare spiderweb thing. So there's also some code issues with electrical wiring. There are open electrical boxes and extension cords to all the overhead lighting and all this other crazy poo poo.

Owner of the company is furious that it's going to cost money to have real electricians re-wire all that poo poo up to code. It is good day.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

They're remodeling the retail showroom on one end of our building. They start taking ceiling tiles and poo poo out, the phone and data wires are a nightmare spiderweb thing. So there's also some code issues with electrical wiring. There are open electrical boxes and extension cords to all the overhead lighting and all this other crazy poo poo.

Owner of the company is furious that it's going to cost money to have real electricians re-wire all that poo poo up to code. It is good day.

Anecdote time:

At my crazy job one of the owners hands me a sales invoice, says "go to this address and install all this stuff".

I look at the invoice, find that's at a warehouse in NJ, and the list is:

-25 Paging Horns
-Paging System
-15 WAPS
-Punch down 200 runs
-Install Phone system with 30 phones, and 10 wireless phones
-Window LDAP server
-File Server
-Install rack and switches
-Security System
-Access Control System

Total labor time:

16 hours.

Yes, that's 16 hours.

I look at it and laugh.

The guy tells me "What, why can't you get that one in two days? I'm sending you a day laborer as well, he can help, so with two of you, thats only one day of labor".

I review the purchased materials list, and not there's not actually a security system on it, just a line item

Security System/Door Access - $10,000

"So what system did you buy? I don't see one specced."

He says "Oh, just look one up on Amazon or whatever and buy it with the company card." I flipped out.

This is a security system for a huge warehouse, one that houses jewelry so there's man traps, so it has to interface with the fire panel, and be up to a specific code for their insurance and all that. I have zero experience installing that. He's says just look up the fire panel on Google and figure it out. I flat out refused. We end up having to hire a contractor to do that, and it ends up costing as much as the entire job.

Three weeks later, I'm almost done with everything, by myself, and the security contractor tells me "oh since you didn't pay me yet, I"m not going to finish." We can't tell the client that, so I have to pick the lock on the security panel and hook it up myself because the contractor installed the door locks but didn't wire up the card readers right, so when the system is activated you can't open one of the doors.

That was a fun couple weeks. I ended up having to block the client on my phone because he kept calling and texting to yell at me.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Smoke posted:

Ah, magic fixes.

Cargo Cult IT always irritated me. I made the mistake of telling someone how to flush the dns cache once, and it became the wunderfix apparently the wunderfix. Printers not working? Better flush that ole dns cache, that didn't work? Escalate it to Rhyme because that fix he gave out isn't working.

Dropping and re-adding the PC to the domain was another one that cropped up. I did it because the machine account had gone missing from the DC (Read: An idiot deleted it), and this was the easiest way to fix. Meanwhile I had techs doing it because the machine couldn't get to google.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Cargo Cult IT always irritated me. I made the mistake of telling someone how to flush the dns cache once, and it became the wunderfix apparently the wunderfix. Printers not working? Better flush that ole dns cache, that didn't work? Escalate it to Rhyme because that fix he gave out isn't working.

Dropping and re-adding the PC to the domain was another one that cropped up. I did it because the machine account had gone missing from the DC (Read: An idiot deleted it), and this was the easiest way to fix. Meanwhile I had techs doing it because the machine couldn't get to google.

This always hilariously pops up on Microsoft error code pages when you do a search for them online. Someone will post an error that relates to a bad pst file or something and the first 10 responses are to boot into safe mode and then to format and reinstall windows.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The resistance of people to restarting to solve random glitches mystifies me. I'm not loving with them, I truly believe that it will resolve whatever dumb problem they're experiencing, like a window that didn't redraw properly or a flash drive not responding, etc. :shrug:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

SQL Server requires sysadmin or db_owner on master to execute xp_logevent (writes to the application log) and it's kinda pissing me off. Anyone happen to know of a workaround? I want to log custom errors and successes on more than a per job in Sql server agent basis.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Caconym posted:

SQL Server requires sysadmin or db_owner on master to execute xp_logevent (writes to the application log) and it's kinda pissing me off. Anyone happen to know of a workaround? I want to log custom errors and successes on more than a per job in Sql server agent basis.

Totally off the top of my head, can't you write to some temp table and have another process on the server then read from the temp table and write to xp_logevent?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Dick Trauma posted:

The resistance of people to restarting to solve random glitches mystifies me. I'm not loving with them, I truly believe that it will resolve whatever dumb problem they're experiencing, like a window that didn't redraw properly or a flash drive not responding, etc. :shrug:

Luckily I've more or less ingrained this to everyone, but the one single shining concept of troubleshooting that has served me well in all facets of life that everyone else doesn't seem to understand is "Have you tried doing it again?"

I mean poo poo, I'm not a mechanic but I know if I can't get my bike to start first time, I'll just try and crank it up again which generally works!

Printer network scanner can't load address list > Press home and do it again
E-mail app on phone breaks/crashes > Press home and load it again
Website not playing ball > Press home and load it again
Shits hosed > Restart and load it again

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I manage an SCCM infrastructure and if there was a bible for troubleshooting issues I'd make sure "try it again" is at the top of the list in huge blinking red letters. SCCM is this giant pile of moving parts and it never works perfectly so 99% of the time any real failure is transient and if you just try it again you'll be fine.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Skandranon posted:

Totally off the top of my head, can't you write to some temp table and have another process on the server then read from the temp table and write to xp_logevent?

Yeah, but this thing is kinda doing that anyway. It's gonna run as a SQL Server Agent Job, but I want to log more than "Job successfully completed" or "Job failed".
I want "Job completed, number of rows affected: @@ROWCOUNT", and "Job completed with the following warning: ERROR_NUMBER(), ERROR_MESSAGE()" and "Job failed with this specific error so the sky is falling, hit the biggest panic buttion you find!" and poo poo like that.
And I want it in the application log because thats what our SCOM-guys prefer.

I just don't get why MS felt the need to protect the application log so well. The only thing this script does is copy some columns from a similar but not identical table on a linked server, it really shouldn't require sysadmin just because I want to write details to the application log.

The answer is probably that the logging was kludged into an engine very much not made for it and that's the best they could do without touching stuff man is not meant to touch. :ssh:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Please tell me yall werent even licensed to be doing security installs, it'd just be the icing on the cake.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Caconym posted:

I just don't get why MS felt the need to protect the application log so well. The only thing this script does is copy some columns from a similar but not identical table on a linked server, it really shouldn't require sysadmin just because I want to write details to the application log.

The answer is probably that the logging was kludged into an engine very much not made for it and that's the best they could do without touching stuff man is not meant to touch. :ssh:
And this is probably the root of why so many applications require to be run at the highest privilege level available and with UAC disabled.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

This is why I love the remote tool my company uses - can't count how many times someone has said "but I DID restart!" just to try to bluff their way past, then I look at the remote tool logs and see their poo poo hasn't been restarted in over a month. Remote connect, save/close apps, force reboot, and holy poo poo, the problem went away and everything works! :aaa:

gently caress those idiots, quit being a stubborn liar and try what I suggest. I know what I'm doing, you don't, and it doesn't make me want to help when you not only lie to me but act like a dick when my solution works and you wasted a half hour of my time on a 5 minute problem.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Caconym posted:

RAISERROR ('poo poo''s broke, son', 16, 1, 1) WITH LOG

My phone doesn't have a SQL parser so I'm probably getting args out of order. Sev 10 and lower is "informational" and won't trigger TRY blocks.

E: That requires ALTER TRACE which isn't as bad but you should wrap the error logger in a proc that uses EXECUTE AS with a sufficiently privileged user instead of giving the app wide-open logspam. Or stop using the system log as an application log.

keseph fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 13, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ozz81 posted:

This is why I love the remote tool my company uses - can't count how many times someone has said "but I DID restart!" just to try to bluff their way past, then I look at the remote tool logs and see their poo poo hasn't been restarted in over a month.

Everyone copy this into your powershell scripts folder:

[System.Management.ManagementDateTimeConverter]::ToDateTime((Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_OperatingSystem -Computername LOCALHOST).LastBootUpTime)

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

keseph posted:

RAISERROR ('poo poo''s broke, son', 16, 1, 1) WITH LOG

My phone doesn't have a SQL parser so I'm probably getting args out of order. Sev 10 and lower is "informational" and won't trigger TRY blocks.

E: That requires ALTER TRACE which isn't as bad but you should wrap the error logger in a proc that uses EXECUTE AS with a sufficiently privileged user instead of giving the app wide-open logspam. Or stop using the system log as an application log.

Raiseerror is deprecated in favour of Throw, but Throw has no with log option. This is very much a stored proc, and it lives in its very own schema that no users can see. I still think it's bullshit that I need more than db_datawriter or maaaaybe db_owner on the relevant db to explicitly log something. :colbert:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Ozz81 posted:

This is why I love the remote tool my company uses - can't count how many times someone has said "but I DID restart!" just to try to bluff their way past, then I look at the remote tool logs and see their poo poo hasn't been restarted in over a month. Remote connect, save/close apps, force reboot, and holy poo poo, the problem went away and everything works! :aaa:

gently caress those idiots, quit being a stubborn liar and try what I suggest. I know what I'm doing, you don't, and it doesn't make me want to help when you not only lie to me but act like a dick when my solution works and you wasted a half hour of my time on a 5 minute problem.

BUT I HAVE RESTARTED

*turns monitor off and back on*

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Caconym posted:

Raiseerror is deprecated in favour of Throw, but Throw has no with log option. This is very much a stored proc, and it lives in its very own schema that no users can see. I still think it's bullshit that I need more than db_datawriter or maaaaybe db_owner on the relevant db to explicitly log something. :colbert:

The app log is a server-scoped object, db_* are database-scoped roles :colbert:

Yes, SCOM has built-ins for reading the app log; that still doesn't mean every app should treat it like a glory hole and spray their sticky, unwashed messages all over it. But if you need to, just create a user in master for the app's login and then grant it EXECUTE on master.dbo.xp_logevent

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

From a few pages back, but...

Coredump posted:

The VM that runs our portal has gone belly up. Plus everyone on the server team is out today except me, the new guy. I love Fridays.

What symptoms are you seeing on your ovirt VMs? QEMU had(has) a bug that would cause disk I/O to go apeshit on a VM with a qcow2 disk, which would lead to it basically sitting there and blocking. If you viewed the console you'd see a ton of stuck task warnings, and logging in wouldn't work because it'd try to read /etc/passwd and write various files. The workaround was to use qemu-img to trigger a snapshot of the running VM, which would temporarily quiesce things but more importantly restore the state that was overwritten, and allow the VM to continue running. I can grab the sha of qemu that supposedly fixed it if this sounds like your problem; it happened infrequently enough on our machines (hilariously low I/O load) that the snapshot workaround seems sufficient.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
I'm sure he's been fired / hanged by the neck by now.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Skandranon posted:

I also have trouble keeping track of what's at the core of the eight thousand virtualization solutions out there, so I might be misremembering and it might not actually be QEMU-backed.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Skandranon posted:

Nah thankfully I got someone else from my team on the phone and we got the portal working again. Now did anyone from OIT sent out an email explaining the service interruption, what we did to fix , etc? Nah.

As for the ovirt advice I'll pass along when I get back to work next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Everyone copy this into your powershell scripts folder:

[System.Management.ManagementDateTimeConverter]::ToDateTime((Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_OperatingSystem -Computername LOCALHOST).LastBootUpTime)

I spent fifteen minutes wondering why my LastBootUpTime was two weeks out of date, turns out Windows 10 (and 8, I guess) use that hybrid shutdown thing that isn't a real shutdown, so the value never gets updated.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 13, 2015