Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ImpAtom posted:

DmC should only be purchased if it is the Definitive Edition which I don't think it is. DmC:DE fixes a lot of the really lovely elements of DmC.
Pretty sure that only exists on consoles, so welp. Unless Capcom is tricking folks into buying it now and announcing the PC re-release two weeks from now. :angel:

Also the page for Deus Ex: Revision doesn't have a download button for me? :confused: Literally just fixed itself. Forgot it was Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The best story involving zombies is Typing of the Dead: Overkill.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

loudog999 posted:

I have Bionic Commando: Rearmed, LOST PLANET 3, and STRIDER keys if anyone is interested.

Edit: Strider is gone to PM, still have the other two

lol I tried PMing you to ask for the bionic commando key but accidentally PMed 37th Chamber instead lmao

If you still have bionic commando code can I have it, sorry 37th chamber, idk what happened that I PMed you by mistake lol

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Strider is really good, so is Bionic Commando. That is all.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Resident *vil 5

AEL6G-A*FXE-QR3D2

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

drkeiscool posted:

So Dishonored GOTY was on sale for like $8, and right when I get in the checkout, it goes back up to $30.

So frustrating.

Where did you see that on sale?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

lol I tried PMing you to ask for the bionic commando key but accidentally PMed 37th Chamber instead lmao

If you still have bionic commando code can I have it, sorry 37th chamber, idk what happened that I PMed you by mistake lol

Ok, I just sent it

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

sauer kraut posted:

Where did you see that on sale?

Steam, the Stealth Game sale going on right now.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Sweet, they're counting Outlast as Stealth. Is the DLC worth it for $2?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

zedprime posted:

Imagine how much weed was smoked by Patton Oswalt and Brian Posehn to make this happen. Obviously a shitload beforehand to take the agent seriously when they said "hey you should take this Minecraft gig", but how much during and after?

Patton has done much worse for money, and I bet the pay was decent. So probably not as much of a weedlord as you'd think.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

zedprime posted:

Imagine how much weed was smoked by Patton Oswalt and Brian Posehn to make this happen. Obviously a shitload beforehand to take the agent seriously when they said "hey you should take this Minecraft gig", but how much during and after?

Are you kidding, they're both big fat nerds who live for this poo poo. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a ton of "celebrity" cameos, like the Rick & Morty guys since every other episode of Harmontown has a Minecraft reference in it.

Drifter posted:

The best story involving zombies is Typing of the Dead: Overkill.

:agreed:

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Didn't have anything on the capcom bundle so I got everything for $15 plus whatever comes next week. Dead rising 2 would be great but idk, what else do they have on steam?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

loudog999 posted:

Ok, I just sent it

Thank you!!

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I love having stealth games hang out with the rest of my backlog. I just pulled the trigger on Alpha Protocol, Chaos Theory, Blacklist, and Styx.

Alpha Protocol is one of those must play games, right? I think I'll idle it for cards play it first. Anything I should know about the game before going in?

Are there any other games I shouldn't pass up in the sale? I've already got Mark of the Ninja, Gunpoint, Monaco and Deus Ex: HR.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, I've poked around Deus Ex Revision a bit, and it's an impressive piece of work so far. For those worried that they'd break the story or replace the hilari-bad voice acting, those are just about the only things they've left untouched. It's everything else that got overhauled.

First, you need the base game to be installed or Revision just won't start up, so keep that in mind.

Second, the biggest decision you're going to make is in the Game Options menu. You can switch between Default playmode (based on Human Renovation - mostly bugfixes and some AI improvements), Shifter (rebalance, unique weapons, etc) and Biomod (all of the above + new cybernetics system).

Also, play on Normal. Or maybe even on Easy. There's more enemies right off the bat, and some of them are decently equipped.

The levels are all new. The basic shape and layout is the same, as are the objectives, but almost all the fine details are new and more... err.. detail'y. Liberty Island in particular has nice warmly lit paths and dark side areas, and plenty of new little nooks and crannies to explore. Things are built to look a little more like real spaces, so the UNATCO soldier that sells you gear isn't just casually standing in the open, but in at a small security side-building with various storage units and supply bins.

It feels like a remake, basically.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

drkeiscool posted:

Steam, the Stealth Game sale going on right now.

Hmm they seem to have added Dishonored and Skyrim? to the stealth sale page recently, the discount should show up in the near future.

Rufio posted:

Alpha Protocol is one of those must play games, right? I think I'll idle it for cards play it first. Anything I should know about the game before going in?

Pistol chainshot is gamebreakingly fun. Go with that and stealth/techhead upgrades on your first run.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 14, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If they do, everyone who even pretends to enjoy stealth games needs to buy the GotY of Dishonored. Play through the game, and then play the dlc, which is arguably even better than the base game. It's really great.

edit: pistol4lyfe in Alpha Protocol

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Some quick hits on some Capcom bundle games:

Strider is pretty cool and the fast-paced action and weapons "feel" good. It's not as much a metroidvania as you may think, as the world isn't laid out in a way to make it particularly easy to get from point a to b quickly. You'll probably end up driving yourself a bit crazy if you want grab all the stuff, so I'd recommend just playing it in a normal fashion and then maybe make a circuit of the map near the end if collecting everything is a thing you like to do in games. There are some annoying aspects in the game like these radio messages that play over and over in some stages until you do something. They take up a ton of screen real-estate and are really annoying and I can't believe they got past any type of playtesting. The visuals in the game are quite boring too, like most games that use a lot 2.5d stuff. It's about 6-8 hours long and doesn't overstay its welcome.

RE Revelations 1 is an entirely bleh third-person action game. Not terrible, not good - the type of game you play once, uninstall and never think about again until you hear someone talk about it. Some people really like the raid mode you unlock as you play through the game but I couldn't get into it since I like score attack-esque stuff to be short and sweet and this isn't.

Revelations 2 is fun and probably the most I enjoyed a RE game since 4. The main story mode isn't anything special, but the characters are all pretty likable and there aren't too many lovely parts. It's a bit too "hey, remember that RE thing" at times when trying to be funny but the character interaction is a million times better than the last few RE games. I liked the raid mode in this one and play a good bit of it. It's basically kill x amount of enemies in a RE6 stage. There's not a ton of variation to it but I enjoyed killing stuff until I hit the level max with a character and did most of the stages.

Also the AI in RE5 really isn't as bad as most people make it out to be. I played through it once single-player and just gave Sheva a high-power, low-firing rate sniper rifle and never had to worry about her doing anything too stupid since she'll just pefectly shoot stuff from miles away and not waste much ammo.

Scott Forstall posted:

Didn't have anything on the capcom bundle so I got everything for $15 plus whatever comes next week. Dead rising 2 would be great but idk, what else do they have on steam?

I'd be surprised if the bta games aren't two or three of Dead Rising 2+Off the Record, Remember Me and maybe the lovely DMC3 port.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 14, 2015

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Rufio posted:

Play the Recruit background for your first playthrough, because it unlocks the Veteran background (which starts you with, like, 120 proficiency points, which is ridiculous).

Also, read this.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Rufio posted:

The shooting is rear end at the start of the game until you put some points into your weapon of choice. Your cross-hair will be huge, and you'll miss what should be head shots. This all goes away with a few points, though.

I love this game, and the shooting is usually what turns a lot of people off at the beginning of the game. It's also why a lot of people recommend the Chain Shot skill for the pistol. On top of being able to lock onto and execute three targets Sam Fisher style, it also doesn't miss. It goes a long way to mitigating the RPGness of early-game shooting. But if pistol isn't your thing, a few points in any weapon will make it feel like you would expect shooting to be in a TPS.

Hell, you can even go punchyfist if that's what you want to do, skills and all.

Also, don't be afraid to do what you feel, in terms of dialogue interaction and in-game action. Everything you do has consequences, even small poo poo. So make decisions based on what you feel you should do, because the game accounts for all of it, and you get perks all throughout the game for each of your actions.

New game tips: There are 5 starting classes in the game.
Three of the builds (Combat heavy, gadget heavy, and stealth heavy) have some skill points thrown in for you. This is essentially "normal mode."
There's a Rookie class: This class starts with no points. This is definitely harder than the first three due to lack of skills, but still doable. Choosing this class will also allow special "Rookie" dialog options. And, if you beat the game as Rookie you unlock...
The Expert class: This class starts with a whole bunch of points. This is basically the "gently caress you, I'm the best. You might as well lay down and give up, you're already dead" class.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If you're a stupid idiot who bought Steam hardware for the October batch it may have shipped today.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
As someone who has never played any of the Resident Evil games and who is more interested in them as possible horror games rather than action/zombie games would it be worth it to pick up the Humble Bundle and use the coupon to get Revelations 1 and 2 for around $25 (with the half-off Revelations 2 discount from the bundle) or can I happily skip these as a horror fan and not be missing out on much.

Also does anyone know if the Outlast DLC is worth even the $2 it's going for right now?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Getsuya posted:

As someone who has never played any of the Resident Evil games and who is more interested in them as possible horror games rather than action/zombie games would it be worth it to pick up the Humble Bundle and use the coupon to get Revelations 1 and 2 for around $25 (with the half-off Revelations 2 discount from the bundle) or can I happily skip these as a horror fan and not be missing out on much.

Also does anyone know if the Outlast DLC is worth even the $2 it's going for right now?

I haven't played it but I heard the Outlast DLC is super gory so if you like that... yes?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Getsuya posted:

Both Revelations games are an odd mix of survival horror and action. There are points where the game is slower with a focus on exploring your environment, and there are other instances where you're fighting off a lot of enemies for various reasons. All in all, Rev1 was great to have RE start heading back towards it's roots as a survival horror game. Rev2 improves on 1 in a lot of ways. Plus, Rev2 has Barry, the best loving character in any game.

Honestly, I would recommend dropping a buck and getting the first chapter of Rev2 from Humble Bundle and seeing if you like it. It will only take you a couple of hours to complete. If you enjoyed it, I'd say go ahead and pick up both Rev1 and 2. If you didn't like it, then you're only in for a buck.

Also, Rev2 has the best version of Raid Mode -- a wave based, kill all enemies to progress side game with RPG elements.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 14, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

does f12 to screenshot not work in undertale for some reason? i want to get a shot of this very rude flower

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If anyones curious about seeing Deus Ex: Revision in motion, I'll be broadcasting via Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/solidsnakesbandana/

Doin non-lethal, no guns. I quicksave and quickload a lot because I like to experiment, so be prepared for that.

Two things I noticed right off the bat:

1) Where the gently caress is the Baton at the start?? I live by that thing.

2) Enemies can totally see your flashlight, which I dunno I guess is lame? In universe they aren't supposed to be able to see it, but I'm not sure if that was just an excuse or not.

edit: lol, I went to the Steam forums out of curiosity and someone asked the exact same question about the baton. :getin:

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 14, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

drkeiscool posted:

Play the Recruit background for your first playthrough, because it unlocks the Veteran background (which starts you with, like, 120 proficiency points, which is ridiculous).

Also, read this.

Or just download a savegame/use a hex editor to get Veteran from the get-go because the game is an unbalanced slog so gently caress it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

2) Enemies can totally see your flashlight, which I dunno I guess is lame? In universe they aren't supposed to be able to see it, but I'm not sure if that was just an excuse or not.

How are they not supposed to see it? it's a freaking flashlight. What's the :airquote:in universe:airquote: canon about the flashlight?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
There's a baton early on somewhere, I think where the first medibot was in the original.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

How are they not supposed to see it? it's a freaking flashlight. What's the :airquote:in universe:airquote: canon about the flashlight?

I think it's an implant that is basically bad cone night vision or something?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Neither are particularly horror themed, but if you're even slightly interested, you might as well take the one buck plunge on Rev2 Ep1 since it won't take you more than a handful of hours to play through and this humble bundle will last for two more weeks. As far as RE on steam goes, you'd probably be best off with REHD, which is a really good remake of the original and has a much higher focus on item management/atmosphere than the rest of the franchise.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

1) Where the gently caress is the Baton at the start?? I live by that thing.

I got it from, like, the first NSF guy in the game. I think the one on the bench to the left just as you enter the park?

Also, gotta love that the NSF's frontline sentry is chilling just outside the range of the sentry bots with a mug of coffee. I'm playing on Biomod mode, so enemy loot is a bit more random (and generous).

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Sivek posted:

As far as RE on steam goes, you'd probably be best off with REHD, which is a really good remake of the original and has a much higher focus on item management/atmosphere than the rest of the franchise.

Seconding this.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

My buddy (the Rake guy) just got me the Wasteland 2 Director's Cut, with a message saying "If you liked Shadowrun,you might like this." I've been enjoying it so far,but should I be, or is it one those games the Goonmind frowns upon?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VolticSurge posted:

My buddy (the Rake guy) just got me the Wasteland 2 Director's Cut, with a message saying "If you liked Shadowrun,you might like this." I've been enjoying it so far,but should I be, or is it one those games the Goonmind frowns upon?

If you like it, you like it. No shame. It's just a very accurate throwback to a style of design that was from the 80's, back when design was limited to a lack of CPU, money, and iteration.

There's a lot of obfuscation of systems that can be very confusing. But I thought the game, the part I played, was more interesting than Pillars of Eternity, which follows a different design. I felt the characters were written as people, not as articles from a book.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I got a Bionic Commando: Rearmed key if anyone else is interested.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Drifter posted:

If you like it, you like it. No shame. It's just a very accurate throwback to a style of design that was from the 80's, back when design was limited to a lack of CPU, money, and iteration.

There's a lot of obfuscation of systems that can be very confusing. But I thought the game, the part I played, was more interesting than Pillars of Eternity, which follows a different design. I felt the characters were written as people, not as articles from a book.

Doesn't Wasteland 2 have some hilariously poorly implemented skill check system? I know that people spent a full 2 pages arguing about PoE but Wasteland 2's flaws massively outweighed my desire to buy the game. It was a effort post detailing what made the game terrible, and it wasn't the UI or the style but some insanely stupid deliberate design decisions.

This post

Xander77 posted:

I'm playing through it right now, and I'm probably going to finish it (so it's not entirely terrible) and maybe repost all my impressions here.

However, I was very surprised to learn that Wasteland 2 had a bigger budget than both Shadowrun campaigns combined. There's a lot more stuff (mostly repetitive combat and huge but ugly areas) in Wasteland but it feels very... low budget, almost mod-like at times. Few voiced lines (important characters who have an introductory voice clip will often switch entirely to text), few unique portraits... rather basic stuff. The game still feels like it's still in beta - a lot of items and NPC's that are apparently left over from bigger plans and just miiiiiight serve a purpose some day in the future. There's also a lot of little bugs and general jankiness prevailing throughout.

More importantly, it's not just "old school" in terms of gameplay emphasis and plot design - it basically ignores a bunch of obvious innovations that came about since 1990 in a way that makes me feel as though the designers don't really care about the comfort and convenience of the player. You can't write in your log book or the area map. You can't focus on an area of the game from the map, only scroll through the confusing mess and ugly mess one screen at a time. No way to command NPCs that haven't joined the party, and they're all suicidal*. Inventory management is a pure mess. If you decide to barter several items at once (so... a gun from every member of the party, for instance) to a trader, then take an item back, you're only allowed to put it into the inventory of the character it was originally taken from (or use an unadvertised shortcut), otherwise the action will fail and the item will stay on the bargaining table. If you want to toss a grenade, you have to equip it in a weapon slot - and when you re-equip the weapon it displaced, you'll find that it's unloaded and you have to reload it manually. Oh, and the reload command only works for your currently equipped weapon - you have to cycle through your secondaries one a time, for each character.

It's just... not very polished.

* There's literally a skill dedicated to retaining control over NPC's who have joined the party so that they don't revert to retarded AI routines and rush face-first into enemy fire. I'm just surprised there isn't a different skill dedicated to making sure your party remembers to breathe at regular intervals.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 14, 2015

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

VolticSurge posted:

You are free to like whatever games you want! I have seen most opinions in this thread regarding Wasteland 2 mixed. Nothing incredibly special but not bad either.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

HardDisk posted:

Wait, what? Really? Any more info on this?
How John Carmack pestered Microsoft to let him make Minecraft for Gear VR

VentureBeat posted:

“Minecraft was my quest, really, for the last year and a half,” Carmack said. “Before Gear VR even existed, Minecraft was something I was desperate to get into virtual reality because I thought it would be critically important.”

“Microsoft actually got me GitHub access to the Minecraft: Pocket Edition code base,” he said. “But we signed a contract that our lawyers said was terrible. ‘They own everything you do. John, you’re basically working for Microsoft when you’re working on this.'”

But the CTO assured Facebook and Oculus’s legal team that this was worth it, and he got to work. Now, it’s up to him to get it up and running. He says he’s already given the framerate a boost and implemented head-tracking, which are the “fundamentals of VR.” But he’s also considering all kinds of other technical improvements — although, he notes that a lot of that stuff isn’t critical.

Carmack said that after he did the initial work on Minecraft for VR about eight months ago, Oculus and Facebook spent the rest of the time trying to reach a deal with Mojang.

“I was willing to do just about anything,” he said. “On the phone I said that if this doesn’t happen, I’m going to cry. This will just be so terrible. This will be the best thing that we can do for the platform. But there are some problems that compilers can’t solve.”

It turns out that the solution was to get the top executives from Facebook and Microsoft together.

“Mark [Zuckerberg] and Satya [Nadella] were able to sit down and make sure that the deal happened,” said Carmack.

“I’ve called this my grail,” he continued. “I think it’s the single most important application that we can have to ensure we have an army of fanatic, passionate supporters that will advocate why VR is great. It’s part of this infinite playability that our current ecosystem is missing.”

HardDisk posted:

The problem with Carmack is that he is technically gifted, but he can't design a fun game to save his life. Ironically, Romero, of Daikatana fame, is/was pretty creative and probably a fun guy to spend a drug-fueled night, but I don't think he ever touched a computer in his life.
Romero was also a skilled programmer (not Carmack skilled, obviously, but he did a lot of stuff), it just turns out there's more to game development than technical skill and design savvy. Who knew, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

VolticSurge posted:

dear god, don't concern yourself with goon game opinions

• Locked thread