Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Yup. CoC is stand alone and won't work right in the CoP directory.

It's been (seemingly) working fine for me. It's somewhat barebones, no military response to shutting down the Brain Scorcher, empty labs, occasionally buggy AI but other than that I haven't noticed anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Well, I've been playing with the 2.0 coc thing and the alife unbalance, and holy poo poo I had a harrowing journey.

I'm playing as a merc, and I'd made enough cash from ammo sales and contracts that I had an FS2000, the nimble deagle and a merc exoskeleton, all upgraded pretty nicely. Doing all the murders I had, I'd built up a handsome 40 PDAs, and given that the bandits, duty and clear sky all hated my merc guts, I'd have to make the trip up to Owl in skadovsk to sell them off. I figured it wouldn't be a bad trip, I needed to go to red forest to get my exoskeleton upgraded for sprinting anyway, and I had a contract up to kill someone in pripyat plaza (although who the gently caress was up there with the brain scorcher still on I don't know).

But holy poo poo, as soon as I stepped into red forest all my best laid plans went to hell. After a little gun battle with the military (and the corresponding looting session) I gunned down a controller, but no sooner than I had field dressed it a pseudogiant rolled up. I don't know what the gently caress this guy was roided up on but I had to pump nearly all my assault rifle bullets into him to bring him down. I went up to him to field dress him after he died, and then got the living poo poo scared out of me when I heard him roar and his corpse flew at me.

After freaking out, I saw that it wasn't a haunted corpse, but something even worse. There was a second pseudogiant and his stomp had flung his dead friends corpse at me. I opted to run away from this one, straight into an anomaly field full of a pack of psydogs. I ran away from them too, into the path of the military (again). Luckily the huge train of mutants following me distracted most of them, and the rest of them died to my elite level deagle brand deagle.

I should mention that for some godless reason I set off at night, so all this was perceived through the grainy green of my lovely night vision.

I had a short breather at forester's place, got my exoskeleton fixed (loving 8000 ruble repair bill from my experiences in the forest) and upgraded to sprint, then headed off into jupiter.

Jupiter, where I ran into (then ran away from) a jet-black chimera who massively irradiated me just by being near me, then ran into a pack of bandits, half of whom were shooting me and half of whom were shooting twin burers. In the past I had always approached burers very tactically, fighting them with explosives, or sniping them from a good distance. This time they stole my guns (that I was out of ammo for anyway) so I ended up sprinting after them with my knife stabbing at them wildly. It worked surprisingly well. I got my guns back and picked up a rusty ak from the bandits.

Further up the road (past a herd of boars and fleshes) I ran into a freedom patrol. They're friendly to me for some reason, but sorry pals, I needed that nato ammo much more than you did. I got some medkits too, which was nice, my huge stash of looted medkits was looking worryingly thin by this point.

Crossing the swamp to get to zaton the agents of karma, aka 3 bloodsuckers, found me. I pissed away a lot of ammo before giving up and just chase-stabbing them too.

I was looking forward to chilling out in zaton as I was feeling pretty frazzled and paranoid by that point, but no such luck. Bloodsuckers in the marsh. Bandits in the darkness. Zombies behind every corner. I abandoned all pretence of tactics and just sprinted through the area, firing into the blackness, chugging energy drinks as I went. gently caress everything.

Finally at Skadovsk I sold my 46 PDAs to Owl. A smooth 29k rubles, which became more like 18k by the time I made repairs. I slept there for the night, then headed off back to Jupiter at dawn. Jupiter, blissfully, hadn't had time to fully respawn its complement of hideous mutants, so I made it to the pripyat plaza exit fairly uneventfully.

Pripyat Plaza was pretty relaxed too, provided you consider running away from monolith guys into more monolith guys into a conga line of zombies to be relaxing. The conga line of zombies was a blessing in disguise though, they were waiting near my target, a lone stalker who had somehow made it there, and they gunned him down as soon as I showed up. They then served me well as a source of a huge amount of ammo and a fairly decent PKM.

For some insane reason I decided to get back to (relative) civilisation through the brain scorcher zone. It was a bad idea. I gunned down the monolith squad guarding the gate (and a friendly chimera) with my PKM, then sprinted immediately into 3 pepped up bloodsuckers who were down to gently caress. I ran through a hole in a chainlink fence and into a forest full of anomalies and angry dogs. They got PKM'd too. I got to the edge of the forest and the monolith guard post just as the bloodsuckers caught up to me. You've never seen a guy gun down monolith faster than a guy with bloodsuckers at his back.

Finally (finally) I escaped back into the army warehouses. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, the freedom guys were being torn apart by dogs, and finally I felt (relatively) safe.

Like, every other time I've played stalker I wound up reaching a point where I was geared up enough and good enough at the game to just dominate the zone, even in misery. The combination of ddraigs mod, OWR3 and the alife unbalance has amazingly managed to retain that horrifying feeling of being one lone guy against an incredibly powerful and dangerous place regardless of how much gear I've gotten. There's enough stuff going on that I can't just sneak up on everything and gun them down. Sometimes you just get thrust into combat when you really aren't ready for it, and no amount of exoskeleton is gonna save you.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

I want my STALKER to do this why wont it do this :saddowns:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Minarchist posted:

I want my STALKER to do this why wont it do this :saddowns:

I'm playing CoC with OWR3, DDraig's 2.0 mod, and ddraig's alife unbalance. I also started a new game after I'd installed all those.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I'm playing CoC with OWR3, DDraig's 2.0 mod, and ddraig's alife unbalance. I also started a new game after I'd installed all those.

I clean installed and installed all these in the right order and I'm finding PDA's now and there's mutants literally everywhere. I go out of my way to kill the mutant cats to get them to shut up because holy christ they're annoying RROW HISS^99

I'm still in the cordon but I think I did it right. It's...interesting :stare:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think mutant cats are my least favorite thing about CoC. I might prefer them cut as intended. I tolerated OGSE's burning/electric chimeras and ghost-fractures better actually.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The increased alife, alongside the faction war functionality makes things pretty nuts. Not only do you run into mutants all the time, you totally have no idea what you're going to find when it comes to stalkers, either.

Nothing like finding Monolith occupying the Cordon.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Ok wow I'm missing out on something, time to fix this.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Avocados posted:

I think mutant cats are my least favorite thing about CoC. I might prefer them cut as intended. I tolerated OGSE's burning/electric chimeras and ghost-fractures better actually.

Yeah, they're like a more annoying, louder dog.

I'd like to make a mod that gives a chance for random stalkers to be carrying the rare unique weapons that nimble sells, and stuff like strelok's sig, so factions that don't have access to nimble have something to hunt for. Of course, I have no idea how to do that.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
What's a good graphics mod to use with this fancy new Call of Pripyat??

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think you might want to hold off a bit, maybe. Going to start back on Radium since I've neglected that too long. What I'm going to do, though, is make a "mega compilation" with the latest version of the COC mod, Absolute Structures/Nature, OWR3, and all the other little mods on the COC addon page merged so it's just a simple drag and drop affair to get the enhanced COC.

Will probably be fairly large, but I'll continue just making the lightweight version if people want to pick and choose.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Will probably be fairly large, but I'll continue just making the lightweight version if people want to pick and choose.

Yes, please. I prefer STCSWP over OWR3 and being able to merge your changes in would be great.

Would it be possible to separate CoC commits that will eventually be baseline from your changes? Just a bit more future proof. Would also help with merging right now as some of the CoC changes clobber STCSWP - char_desc_general overwrites STCSWP loadouts for eg and is not part of your core mod as I understand it.

The STCSWP suit addon needs a merge mod to work with your mask and breathing effects.

I'll do a healing & other item use applies over time and blocks other activity addon once CoC gets another release or two. There's already a lower weapon on item use addon.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I've managed to get pretty much the whole zone up and running with faction controllable terrains, and while it's an interesting and good experience, I really wish that squads prioritized terrain closer to them more highly. Right now it seems like the further away an objective is the more they want to get to it, so I'm winding up with crazy cross-map migrations that result in lots of squads wandering into Monolith territory and getting murdered horribly.

That and simulation.ltx being finicky are probably the two biggest issues preventing a really awesome, fully dynamic zone being possible.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
The only thing your mod seems to be missing would be proper hand FOV models/skins for suits, unless I just haven't seen it yet. Like even though I'm wearing an exosuit I seem to still be holding weapons with gloved hands and arms with the sleeves of a jacket.

Otherwise it's pretty much like an unadulterated version of the zone with crazy poo poo happening everywhere all the time. Also fractures scare the gently caress out of me for some reason, I just fuckin frag them. Also might want to add in some squad managing features. Not just inventory, but also the overall size and composure of the squad.

For those of you who are "missing out" (trust me, I was one of you) Just install D's addons, especially the A-life debalancer. I'm pretty sure the A-Life addon is what creates most of the magic.

I've had the bar get completely overrrun by mutants. Just screaming and gunfire for 10 minutes. Then afterwards shitloads of loot.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 14, 2015

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
More Sultan issues! I did his assassination quest (on ironman, no less! So loving harrowing) but I get no option to turn in the job for him :( It's either a problem with D's addon, or the mod itself, so has anyone done Sultan's hit missions when he was back on the Skadovsk?

Erwin the German fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 14, 2015

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

That and simulation.ltx being finicky are probably the two biggest issues preventing a really awesome, fully dynamic zone being possible.

Have you reported this at the epicstalker bug tracker or forums? More likely to get answers there than /sg/, assuming that was you.

What you have sounds great already, can't wait to try it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

v1ld posted:

Have you reported this at the epicstalker bug tracker or forums? More likely to get answers there than /sg/, assuming that was you.

What you have sounds great already, can't wait to try it.

I don't know if it's a bug or not. :v:

Dynamic smarts are totally nuts, though. I'm doing a "real" play test as Clear Sky right now, as that faction has the most problems reliably expanding into the zone, and went on a brief foray to the Army Warehouses to scavenge after Duty/Freedom fights. It was night, I only had a gas mask and a sunrise suit, so I was wandering around with absolutely no idea what squads would be where, just running towards gunfire and tracers in the sky. After finding and trailing a friendly Duty squad I we wound up fighting a random army patrol, a group of bandits, and then two squads of Monolith with the help of some loners. I turned the debug hud back on when I got to the bar and realized that Freedom's squads were all hanging around in their base while everyone outside duked it out in a massive brawl. It was probably the most exciting session of Stalker I've had in a long time.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I'm torn on whether to start a monolith game, do some modding for monolith (just so's I can pick up the nicer weapons as monolith), or wait for someone else to do a nice monolith mod.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ddraig, was it you who was working on a thing to let people be turned into zombies and then do a quest to be turned back?

e: Also, will armor equivalents for every faction be added? It makes me sad when I can see mercenaries wearing merc SEVA suits and exoskeletons and stuff and the shopkeeper only sells the light merc vest.

ugh its Troika fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 14, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That sounds like something I would do. You can already be turned into a Zombie in COC though so there's no need for me to do that.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I've come to realize that another complicating feature of faction control in CoC is that squads don't actually respawn as they should in dynamically controlled smarts. As in, they don't respawn at all.

I probably should have tried that one first. :negative:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Are you sure about that? they should.

If you're certain they don't, definitely post it to the bugtracker.

That's sort of the thing Alundaio would really like to know about rather than the usual complaints of "The game crashed, I'm not going to tell you where, what I was doing, or even provide a log"

http://www.coc.epicstalker.com/bugtracker

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ddraig posted:

Are you sure about that? they should.

If you're certain they don't, definitely post it to the bugtracker.

That's sort of the thing Alundaio would really like to know about rather than the usual complaints of "The game crashed, I'm not going to tell you where, what I was doing, or even provide a log"

http://www.coc.epicstalker.com/bugtracker

I'm still not 100% sure, I haven't tried testing it on a vanilla install of the current dev version, so I'll do that first and then post a bug report. I've been looking for where their bug tracker is, though, so thanks for that link.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
How do I know if the faction wars implementation is working? I haven't gotten any missions to capture territory and haven't seen any squads wandering around.

Also, it's amazing what a difference it is playing a faction that gets along with everyone, like ecologist, vs. one who doesn't get along with most others, like merc. At the beginning I find myself sneaking around the outskirts of hostile territory and debating whether a particular shortcut is worth the risk or not.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Saint Sputnik posted:

How do I know if the faction wars implementation is working? I haven't gotten any missions to capture territory and haven't seen any squads wandering around.

Also, it's amazing what a difference it is playing a faction that gets along with everyone, like ecologist, vs. one who doesn't get along with most others, like merc. At the beginning I find myself sneaking around the outskirts of hostile territory and debating whether a particular shortcut is worth the risk or not.

Haha yeah I hope you like agroprom and the truck cemetary, cause you'll be seeing a lot of them. I do wish there was a little more balance with some of the factions, like duty is friends with tons of people but for some reason freedom is enemies with nearly everyone?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Saint Sputnik posted:

You don't get any missions, and a lot of the implementation hasn't been touched outside of the Army Warehouses. Fortunately, I got you covered on the latter half.

https://mega.nz/#!VlAAxJjL!SK8gk7VMy-cBV2wdHvdrVeIe641ERTU6UTfT4DKa4pA

You'll need to be using Ddraig's mod, or the latest dev build, and it requires starting a new game.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 14, 2015

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Anyone else get bugged assassination missions from Sid? I was contracted to plug some bandit in the Garbage and the game won't recognize that I killed him. I even reloaded from back in the cordon but I think the entire quest/NPC is bugged, and not just when I shoot the guy.Is there no way to force-complete a mission through the console or cancel it? I'm over the bounty, I just want to clear my task list at this point.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'm getting people not recognizing me as a duty member. Even after I've killed a poo poo ton of their clan. Also I'm getting the AI to turn on itself. Like it seems that one faction just decides to hate the other then all of a sudden there's a fuckton of loner corpses by a slightly corpsey duty hangout. Also Duty for life.

Also Ddraig: How easy would it be to implement the faction wars radio?

The thought came to me when I was thinking any faction (including military of course) that is friends with the military should be able to radio them for backup.

For the love of god someone make some badass mod to call a hind in, do a quick strafing run, quickly drop off a cadre of troops, then provide air support.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
is there a way to increase grass draw distance in CoC, or a patch / dll replacement for it? i tried my old dlls from CoP but get an error when starting the game.

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012
How do story/main missions work in CoC vs vanilla games, is there a difference concerning what's available in CoC? I made my way up to the Red Forest and talked to Forester, he didn't offer me any quest options. Did I miss something to trigger those? It's been a while since I played the original games so I can't remember what the "official" experience was supposed to be like.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

baromodo posted:

How do story/main missions work in CoC vs vanilla games, is there a difference concerning what's available in CoC? I made my way up to the Red Forest and talked to Forester, he didn't offer me any quest options. Did I miss something to trigger those? It's been a while since I played the original games so I can't remember what the "official" experience was supposed to be like.

Call of Chernobyl is a freeplay/modders resource. There's very few quests, it's basically a huge level pack with all of Alundaio's improvements to the AI and such.

The best way to think of it is as an entirely new game, since that's pretty much what it is. Right now modders are getting to grips with it, and minor improvements are being made all the time. It's probably not a huge stretch to imagine that people will be doing all kinds of cool stuff in it. If I had the time and the motivation I always wanted to try and recreate all three games in COC, with you picking which one to start instead of picking a faction.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Wow the golden hour during the zone is NOT loving around. I couldn't manage to get a screen in time but around 6 am the light takes on a mystical golden quality for 30 minutes.

Other than that AI buddies suck. A duty guy who was a high rank just walked up to me and melee'd me with the but of his AK. I think it was because I had gotten 3 squads killed in a single day and was back in the same place or more. Then again this playthrough has been pretty buggy.

Also my character panting due to low stamina is getting pretty annoying. Although the near death sounds I do not mind.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 14, 2015

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
In my experience buddy npcs are absolute murder machines 90% of the time and the other 10% they walk into crossfire and just stand there till they bite it.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

What mods are you using and want rank are those buddies? Without OWR I could see that, but the guys I run with are poorly equipped duty recruits who get shot in the face 60 percent of the time.
The other 40 percent they're decent sidekicks. Who totally block doors (thank god for the wait command).I love selling my comrade back his gun because he dropped it after getting wounded.

I love how being a scavenger in this game is SOOO much more viable than hunting even mutants no less enemy stalkers.

It's mostly due to those repair kits. They're only 1000 RB so if you pick up an expensive gun that's a tiny bit too damaged you can just lube it and then hock it for well over whatever you went through to get the repair kit.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 14, 2015

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
CoC has been taking up way too much of my time over the past few days.

i got myself the dynamic news mod and enabled that "AI stays on in other levels" thing, but there aren't any dynamic news items about events that happen outside the level i'm currently in. that was one of my favorite things about AMK, the news from stalkers in other levels gave the impression that the world was alive without you.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

i am whole foods. posted:

i got myself the dynamic news mod and enabled that "AI stays on in other levels" thing, but there aren't any dynamic news items about events that happen outside the level i'm currently in. that was one of my favorite things about AMK, the news from stalkers in other levels gave the impression that the world was alive without you.

AA2 had radio chatter but it was mostly flavor text. Although Duty and Freedom making GBS threads on each other over the comms all the time was awesome.

Duty: Squad 2, ready to move in on Freedom positi- OH poo poo UNDER FIRE SEND BACKU-
Freedom: Hey dumbasses, next time use a private channel
Duty Base: Dammit!

AMK had legit radio traffic, someone would offer to sell a gun and you could actually find him there and buy it, shoot him and take it, or find him dead and have to loot the guys who killed him.

Also in this CoC Alife Unbalanced mod...try not to spend too much time in the train tunnel behind the hangar in the garbage. Bandits like to spawn in through the back wall without notice. Although a Burer phased in with them and the little spat they had was fun to listen to from behind the derailed locomotive :getin:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Minarchist posted:

Also in this CoC Alife Unbalanced mod...try not to spend too much time in the train tunnel behind the hangar in the garbage. Bandits like to spawn in through the back wall without notice. Although a Burer phased in with them and the little spat they had was fun to listen to from behind the derailed locomotive :getin:

Some of the AI level transition spots seem a bit wonky, especially in the CoP maps. But yeah, I had a pack of flesh run at me in that tunnel during an emission, only for all of them to vanish into the wall behind me.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Any way to make your squad size bigger? I'm okay with a general lack of micro management and them being pretty intelligent yet still weak meatshields, I need like 5 stalkers for a squad to be effective it seems.

Also what does the difficulty setting affect?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 14, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ddraig posted:

I have a few other little ideas for what to include in the Monolith loving. I need a nice icon, but I'd like to include an "ultimate sacrifice" item. Quest item, with no weight. When you use it you pull the pin out of an grenade you've got in your inventory and kill yourself and anyone around you.

Also going to give the Monolith slightly different outcomes from asking their God for a wish. It's a vengeful, angry God.

Was writing down some stuff I wanted to work on that I titled Monolith Rising but I doubt I'll get anything past the Idea Guy stage while all my time is eaten up by looking for a job and donating plasma for food money.

That and I still can't get the DB converter to work properly. :suicide:

Is it okay if I PM you my notes and what little I have to see if anything interests you?

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

MariusLecter posted:

Was writing down some stuff I wanted to work on that I titled Monolith Rising but I doubt I'll get anything past the Idea Guy stage while all my time is eaten up by looking for a job and donating plasma for food money.

That and I still can't get the DB converter to work properly. :suicide:

Is it okay if I PM you my notes and what little I have to see if anything interests you?

Yeah, sure. If they're within my capabilities to do I'll certainly attempt to make them happen.