Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

The first time I heard of Gundam was in a regular anime column in a SNES mag I read at the time. It was complaining about how popular series with female main characters in had become lol. This was in like 1993

I would not be surprised if people have been complaining about cute girls ruining anime since shortly after it existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

I would not be surprised if people have been complaining about cute girls ruining anime since shortly after it existed

There's probably someone somewhere furious about how popular Gundam is with the housewife demographic.

I know that was the case for SEED at least, is it a general thing, or was that an outlier?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

I would not be surprised if people have been complaining about cute girls ruining anime since shortly before it existed

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's probably someone somewhere furious about how popular Gundam is with the housewife demographic.

I know that was the case for SEED at least, is it a general thing, or was that an outlier?

It depends on the show but the lady audience for Gundam is not insignificant. Classic, Wing and SEED all pretty much thrive on it and 00 was a pretty bald-faced attempted to cater to the same demographic who made SEED popular.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It depends on the show but the lady audience for Gundam is not insignificant. Classic, Wing and SEED all pretty much thrive on it and 00 was a pretty bald-faced attempted to cater to the same demographic who made SEED popular.

And IBO definitely has the ladies in mind.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Greco had it and most of its fanart is done by women.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think the only demographic that's underrepresented is actual kids, mostly.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sharkopath posted:

I remember some scuttlebutt in the old thread that supposedly Build Fighters was a bit of a flop with the obvious target audience of children but made it up with big interest from older gunota.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I just cleared episode 14, Usso disabled four more mooks, but no confirmed kills. We are already down to half a shrike team, at this rate they'll all be dead before episode 20. Both sides are pretty lovely for using the mass rail driver as a shield, but Zanscare still takes the cake. They're way worse than the Titans have ever been. I'm actually just irrationally angry at Kate's death.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: Still 7

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah, Gundam has been having huge problems with kids. AGE, BF and G-Reco were all theoretically aimed at kids. AGE bombed, BF I think largely got Gunota and G-Reco was too Tomino for words.

They wanted that Danball money so bad but kids are like "haha gently caress you, yokai watch time."

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I can't imagine the elderly care much for Gundam. Gundam certainly doesn't have many kind things to say about them.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Robots aren't cool anymore. Sunrise to sunset though, it's just natural.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Robots aren't cool anymore.

This is wrong, actually

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Droyer posted:

This is wrong, actually

You think they are cool sure... but have you ever thought.... you weren't actually cool!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Gundam has been having huge problems with kids. AGE, BF and G-Reco were all theoretically aimed at kids. AGE bombed, BF I think largely got Gunota and G-Reco was too Tomino for words.

They wanted that Danball money so bad but kids are like "haha gently caress you, yokai watch time."

Apparently G-Reco was popular with kids and grandmas back in japan.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Docker Iqq is a pretty cool guy. His obsession with motorcycles knows no bounds, but it is rather awesome.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Docker Iqq is a pretty cool guy. His obsession with motorcycles knows no bounds, but it is rather awesome.

The Adrastea is cool, in a silly way.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It's me, I'm the guy that doesn't hate the bikes and tires in Victory

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I like the bad guys in Victory. After all the poo poo that happened in UC, all the big groups killing each other off, the only bad guys left are just the bottom of the barrel, totally insane fuckers.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

boom boom boom posted:

I like the bad guys in Victory. After all the poo poo that happened in UC, all the big groups killing each other off, the only bad guys left are just the bottom of the barrel, totally insane fuckers.

eh, they had like 50 years to procreate and give rise to more absolute psychopaths. I cleared the clip show recap episode. Looks like we have something to look forward too, since the Zanscare Queen has finally made an appearance. She seems nice, so I bet her bald advisor is basically the worst parts of Rau Le Crueset, Gihren Zabi and Paptimus Scirocco multiplied by three, right?

Also want to say I really liked the space dust episode, it may have been filler, but I always enjoyed the "yes, space is a terrifying place, and you can die at any time" message in it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I hope you cleared that with the mod

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Logicblade posted:

eh, they had like 50 years to procreate and give rise to more absolute psychopaths. I cleared the clip show recap episode. Looks like we have something to look forward too, since the Zanscare Queen has finally made an appearance. She seems nice, so I bet her bald advisor is basically the worst parts of Rau Le Crueset, Gihren Zabi and Paptimus Scirocco multiplied by three, right?

Also want to say I really liked the space dust episode, it may have been filler, but I always enjoyed the "yes, space is a terrifying place, and you can die at any time" message in it.

Ayup, Fonse Kagatie is one of the stronger candidates for 'evilest fucker in Gundam'. Well, of course he is - this show is Tomino going 'gently caress it' and throwing restraint to the wind with the UC saga's themes, and Fonse is an ancient, crippled old man who ruthlessly exploits and discards the younger generation. He's basically the furthest end-point of 'adults are the enemy'.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Please do not talk about upcoming plot points when you know someone else is going through a show for the first time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

Please do not talk about upcoming plot points when you know someone else is going through a show for the first time.

That's not a spoiler, really. Everything I've said should be broadly apparent from what he's seen so far of the Zanscare Empire, and the show doesn't really bother hiding that Fonse is in charge. I mean, I guess you could argue that 'no, there is no twist, things are as they seem' is a spoiler, but it's about as mild as they come.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

That's not a spoiler, really. Everything I've said should be broadly apparent from what he's seen so far of the Zanscare Empire, and the show doesn't really bother hiding that Fonse is in charge. I mean, I guess you could argue that 'no, there is no twist, things are as they seem' is a spoiler, but it's about as mild as they come.

I'm arguing you shouldn't talk about something that hasn't happened yet, when someone is going through a show for the first time.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Are we going with casual spoiler rules or extreme tviv danger rules?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

Are we going with casual spoiler rules or extreme tviv danger rules?

I feel common sense rules are the best, in that the shows are so old that in a general conversation there's no need for tags but if someone is going through one of them for the first time and posting about it, might as well be polite.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

I feel common sense rules are the best, in that the shows are so old that in a general conversation there's no need for tags but if someone is going through one of them for the first time and posting about it, might as well be polite.

Yeah, this

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Srice posted:

Yeah, the way it always worked in the old threads was in general discussion about old series nobody bothered to spoiler poo poo but if somebody was doing a watchthrough and discussion turned towards stuff that was coming up the posters would traditionally spoiler basically everything so the new viewer could spoil himself or not as he wished.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I don't think people should be walking around on pins and needles when it comes to spoilers, but I would appreciate it if when someone's watching something for the first time you wouldn't decide for them what is or isn't "Really" a spoiler.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

The Adrastea is cool, in a silly way.
But gently caress fighting them Super Robot Wars D. They are a key part of a very annoying stage in that game, where you have to reduce about 3-4 to below 10% HP in order to advance.

Anyhew, my first exposure to Gundam was 0083 back when Adult Swim was new and fresh. Admittedly, I had trouble following Synapse and Burning without laughing a little, since I was also watching Digimon and their dub VAs were Gennai and Leomon, respectively. Really liked the Dendrobium back then, even if it was a flying brick with guns and missiles strapped to it.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
i first heard about gundam from an issue of hobby japan i bought from some rando hobby shop with my allowance c. 1997

there were many exquisitely painted toy robots and also toy naked girls

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I want Gundam 0083 to appear in Super Robot Wars again. I have fond memories of Kou in the Dendrobium High Mega Cannon-ing his way through waves of mooks.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
AGE trip report three episodes in: still good, still very pretty. The inevitable disappointment is going to hit real hard.

e; I can't remember when I first heard of Gundam, but I do know I hadn't watched any of it bar 08th MS until last year. I watched Unicorn through to episode 6 at one point (the latest episode at the time) and decided I'd watch every UC OVA, then every UC show and CCA while I waited for episode 7, then all of Turn-A after that (I finished Turn-A, I'm still halfway through MSG79 and haven't started Zeta). I've seen a total of two episodes each of Wing and 00 and didn't like them, I've never even seen an episode of Seed, After War, G Gundam or Victory.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 15, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

New thread tag lookin good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
First I heard of Gundam was probably from an episode of X-Play back when it was still good. Must have been around 2006, when they reviewed that awful Gundam launch title for the PS3. I think I'd heard about it before, but I wasn't really aware of it, since Pokemon, Dragonball Z and Digimon were still the kings of the anime bloc on YTV. First series I watched in full was 8th MS Team early last year, so I'm still a newer fan.

EDIT: Oh right, I'd also seen an ad in an issue of GMR magazine promoting a Gundam Seed tie in game.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
who does the face in the middle of the tag belong to

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gyra_Solune posted:

who does the face in the middle of the tag belong to

Me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm playing old Super Robot Wars games instead of doing something constructive with my life. The Hi-Nu Gundam is really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG1COvx55KI