Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flytrap posted:

I'd call the shortcuts a good design point myself. If I have to choose between immersion the breaking shortcuts to save time or the immersion breaking boredom of walking backwards through something I just finished, I'll take the former every single time.

It might've been cooler if there were more varied types of shortcuts. It would've kind of masked the whole "every dungeon is designed the same way" thing.

Or, hell, just throw scrolls of "exit" around or something that let you warp back to the entrance of a dungeon. Then you don't even need to worry about always making sure to have a physical shortcut back. Make sure there's always one available to find towards the end of any given dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's kind of janky but just kicking everything into spikes or death pits or pretty much anything you can think of is a lot of fun. It goes on sale frequently on Steam so you can pick up Dark Messiah of Might & Magic then.

Yeah, it's pretty good though the middle stretch on that island goes on way too drat long and is kind of lovely. It's nice that you can join the bad guy if you really want to as well.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

kikkelivelho posted:

The new Shadow warrior also had good if somewhat limited melee combat system. Any combat system where you can do footsies or dance around your opponent is great.

Dude the melee loving owns, I played the entire game just with the sword. Aside from having to use a gun on certain fights and flying bad guys. That game is loving bad rear end.

The last boss fights are like an hour each. Play it if you like serious sam its kinda a mix of shadow warrior(aka Dude Nukem 3d(not the new one) with an Asian) and serious sam.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Flytrap posted:

I'd call the shortcuts a good design point myself. If I have to choose between immersion the breaking shortcuts to save time or the immersion breaking boredom of walking backwards through something I just finished, I'll take the former every single time.

I'd prefer if they had shortcuts to different parts of the dungeon and you use Mark & Recall if you want to warp out. You know, like how Morrowind did it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'd prefer if they had shortcuts to different parts of the dungeon and you use Mark & Recall if you want to warp out. You know, like how Morrowind did it.

Yeah, they could've sort of sprinkled shortcuts around the dungeon so that you don't always need to have a single shortcut that leads you outside from the end. Instead, you could unlock shortcuts as you go that, together, add up to a quick trip back (or an easy way back inside, if you want to leave for some reason before you get to the end). Y'know, sort of like how Demon's/Dark Souls and Bloodborne areas are designed :v:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
GOTY 2016. It looks like Bloodborne to some people but it is Dark Souls, plays Dark Souls, feels Dark Souls.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Sadly--much like flying--teleporting is likely gone for good. Not really sure WHY though. I get the flying I guess, it would break the boundaries set now that towns are in their own zones if you just flew over the wall, but what the heck did teleporting break? Quest scripting? I guess since Morrowind was straight up willing to let you make the main quest unwinnable they weren't so concerned with that.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Beat the network test boss, feels good man :zoro:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Taratang posted:

Beat the network test boss, feels good man :zoro:

Like a skinnier more 180/360 degree attacky Vicar Amelia that never rests, a properly thrilling fight as melee

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah, they could've sort of sprinkled shortcuts around the dungeon so that you don't always need to have a single shortcut that leads you outside from the end. Instead, you could unlock shortcuts as you go that, together, add up to a quick trip back (or an easy way back inside, if you want to leave for some reason before you get to the end). Y'know, sort of like how Demon's/Dark Souls and Bloodborne areas are designed :v:

Yeah but that requires good level design which is something Bethesda will probably never be good at.

Flytrap posted:

Sadly--much like flying--teleporting is likely gone for good. Not really sure WHY though. I get the flying I guess, it would break the boundaries set now that towns are in their own zones if you just flew over the wall, but what the heck did teleporting break? Quest scripting? I guess since Morrowind was straight up willing to let you make the main quest unwinnable they weren't so concerned with that.

I don't think teleporting broke anything, their excuse is that you can fast travel which replaces teleportation. What Bethesda don't realize is that you can't fast travel out of dungeons and being unable to do so will either cause lots of backtracking, or make dungeons basically a long corridor that wraps around itself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flytrap posted:

It had to do with changes to how the game loads data iirc.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah but that requires good level design which is something Bethesda will probably never be good at.

or quests or general story lines.

They make loving boss rear end engines that nothing can compete with.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

MrLonghair posted:

Like a skinnier more 180/360 degree attacky Vicar Amelia that never rests, a properly thrilling fight as melee
yeah, I'm having a lot of fun helping others with it now.

Is there another boss somewhere? I killed the icy dude in the locked cell already (although he's clearly not a boss) and I can't find any other paths. There are a couple of one way doors I still haven't found a way around.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is there any reason they aren't just doing the human effigy burning mechanic to let people opt out of invasions again? Cause I always thought that was a good idea. Maybe tie it to a resource that isn't as precious so people feel more inclined to use them. Everything I'm hearing about this network test sounds good but I'm really disappointed with the idea that solo invasions are going to be an opt in thing rather than opt out. Removes a lot of the fun of not knowing if you could be invaded, and also pretty much kills invasions in any area where phantoms aren't summoned frequently for whatever reason.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

A few people say having the ember active is enough to get invaded, so I'm testing that. They've done a great job at adding (invisible) walls and barriers to keep you from loving up and glitching around

e: confirmation from elsewhere, failed summons triggered "co-op = TRUE" for long enough for some people to get invaded solo, or invade players solo.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 16, 2015

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Has there been word on PC system requirements for this? My computer hates DX11, so if it ends up needing that, I'm stuck on PS4.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mazed posted:

Has there been word on PC system requirements for this? My computer hates DX11, so if it ends up needing that, I'm stuck on PS4.

No word, but it's safe to say you'll be stuck on PS4 unless you upgrade.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the American stress test is at 11 est right

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

So is there any reason they aren't just doing the human effigy burning mechanic to let people opt out of invasions again? Cause I always thought that was a good idea. Maybe tie it to a resource that isn't as precious so people feel more inclined to use them. Everything I'm hearing about this network test sounds good but I'm really disappointed with the idea that solo invasions are going to be an opt in thing rather than opt out. Removes a lot of the fun of not knowing if you could be invaded, and also pretty much kills invasions in any area where phantoms aren't summoned frequently for whatever reason.

Haha did they kill pvp again? ratbros and sunbros weep.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

the American stress test is at 11 est right

Correct.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Haha did they kill pvp again? ratbros and sunbros weep.

They're making it a risk/reward thing, similar to DS1. Using an Ember will give you a 1.4x max HP buff and allow you to summon phantoms, but also open you up for invasions. A +40% HP increase is no joke, and it therefore provides an incentive for less experienced players to use (while also giving them a reasonable advantage against low-level twink or highly skilled invaders). It's technically "opt in," but it's not a straight, "Yes, I want to PVP," vs. "No, I don't want to PVP" deal.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 16, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

MrLonghair posted:

A few people say having the ember active is enough to get invaded, so I'm testing that. They've done a great job at adding (invisible) walls and barriers to keep you from loving up and glitching around

e: confirmation from elsewhere, failed summons triggered "co-op = TRUE" for long enough for some people to get invaded solo, or invade players solo.

I kind of like this. You cry out for help and you're left wondering, "Did help hear me...or something else?"

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Using an item to get a bonus and opening multi-player for coop and invasions is the right choice. They could still do some specific places that are always invasion enabled (like the Door to Pharos/Grave of Saints) and design the area with that idea in mind.

What I'd love to see are boss invasions like the Looking Glass Knight fight.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

6 hours and 20 minutes remain :shepface:

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
15 minutes left in the EU test and it feels like I've done everything but kill the dragon. It definitely has a health bar but would take 100+ firebombs to bring down.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Taratang posted:

using firebombs on a dragon

:raise:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I felt some serious-rear end "done everything" after the first hour compared to the three three-hour Bloodborne sessions. Like a minute and 40 seconds to speedrun to the boss gates on a fresh character tho :v:

Speaking of rear end, Dancer of the Frigid Valley? She dooooooooooooooo

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 16, 2015

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
It's not like I have a bow...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vermain posted:

They're making it a risk/reward thing, similar to DS1. Using an Ember will give you a 1.4x max HP buff and allow you to summon phantoms, but also open you up for invasions. A +40% HP increase is no joke, and it therefore provides an incentive for less experienced players to use (while also giving them a reasonable advantage against low-level twink or highly skilled invaders). It's technically "opt in," but it's not a straight, "Yes, I want to PVP," vs. "No, I don't want to PVP" deal.

People are saying you can only be invaded if you have phantoms summoned or are trying to summon them. Solo invasions don't happen even after using an ember unless you also use the dry fingers for whatever reason. If that isn't the case then I would be fine with it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

So if I'm reading that right, it sounds like an inverse of soul/body form from Demon's Souls. Instead of giving you your full HP only when you're in body form/open for invasions, you get a bonus for doing that. I like that a lot. It's ultimately the same thing--Demon's Souls was balanced around the idea that you're going to have between 50% and 75% max HP at any given time, so having full HP was more of a bonus than a necessity--but it feels less like punishment if you're not seeing your HP meter chopped in half.

Neat.

I do hope that you can be invaded after using an Ember whether or not you have phantoms, though. One of Bloodborne's biggest weaknesses was how hard it was to actually be invaded. I think I was only ever invaded in the areas that had bell maidens by default, which was kind of disappointing.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flytrap posted:

My favorite part of the shortcuts is the minigame where you guess where you're going to be coming out at the end by looking for the obviously barred door, opening on a ledge, or poorly hidden door.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Internet Kraken posted:

People are saying you can only be invaded if you have phantoms summoned or are trying to summon them. Solo invasions don't happen even after using an ember unless you also use the dry fingers for whatever reason. If that isn't the case then I would be fine with it.

Don't the vast majority of summons happen right at the boss gate? You'd summon, get invaded, step through the portal and not give a poo poo?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harrow posted:

So if I'm reading that right, it sounds like an inverse of soul/body form from Demon's Souls. Instead of giving you your full HP only when you're in body form/open for invasions, you get a bonus for doing that. I like that a lot. It's ultimately the same thing--Demon's Souls was balanced around the idea that you're going to have between 50% and 75% max HP at any given time, so having full HP was more of a bonus than a necessity--but it feels less like punishment if you're not seeing your HP meter chopped in half.

Neat.

I like it too. DS2 often felt like it was balanced around having full health, and being hollow was a major inconvenience, leading to either wearing the ring of binding, scumming with rings of protection, or constantly co-oping... that was a nice way to drive folks to co-op, though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

sector_corrector posted:

I like it too. DS2 often felt like it was balanced around having full health, and being hollow was a major inconvenience, leading to either wearing the ring of binding, scumming with rings of protection, or constantly co-oping... that was a nice way to drive folks to co-op, though.

Coop is my favorite part of the game with ratbros and bell bros right below that.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm curious: do people generally prefer Dark Souls rings, which were typically stronger but which you got fewer slots for making them more character defining choices, or Dark Souls 2 rings, which were weaker (especially in their non-plus iterations) but gave you more freedom to experiment by having a whole bunch of slots?

I ask bc I'm legitimately not sure which I prefer and I'm curious if anybody has a compelling argument one way or the other

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I feel like two slots was better but Dark Souls 2 had way more rings that were actually worth using. I think 2 slots with DaS2's variety and no "obvious" choices like Havel's/Favor/Third Dragon would make for the best system.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I absolutely prefer Dark Souls 2 rings. You have a lot more freedom with what you can do. Plus if you have to put on a ring for covenant purposes it doesn't feel like you're wasting a slot as much. I don't like the rings all going up to +2 just because it felt like there was never any reason to not use the +2 variant if you have it, but other than that they were great.

I REALLY hope they don't include any rings that are blatantly better than others for basically every build, regardless how many slots you have. The FaP ring in Dark Souls is so good that you pretty much always used it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm curious: do people generally prefer Dark Souls rings, which were typically stronger but which you got fewer slots for making them more character defining choices, or Dark Souls 2 rings, which were weaker (especially in their non-plus iterations) but gave you more freedom to experiment by having a whole bunch of slots?

I ask bc I'm legitimately not sure which I prefer and I'm curious if anybody has a compelling argument one way or the other

Dark Souls 2 rings are waaaaay better. In Dark Souls is was basically Havel's or Rofap in one slot and then a situation-specific ring in the second. Especially with the DLC, Dark Souls II got pretty crazy with rings, something I hope Dks3 continues (though I'm not necessarily hopeful, since the Runes in Bloodborne were pretty boring).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
When I said Dark Souls 2 rings were "weaker" I meant the ones that had a direct analogue like Havel's Ring and the Cloranthy Ring were weaker in Dark Souls 2

I totally agree about the variety of rings being a problem in the first game either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I prefer the DS2 systems. It allows for more build variety and the 4 slots give you room to equip some of the more gimmicky rings without gimping yourself.

• Locked thread