Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What do you get from the expansion horse race with that eastern merchant near the enchanter? I really hate everything with racing and the horse in this game, but ill do it if its something neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Dongattack posted:

What do you get from the expansion horse race with that eastern merchant near the enchanter? I really hate everything with racing and the horse in this game, but ill do it if its something neat.

A new racing saddle.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

JoshTheStampede posted:

A new racing saddle.

Thanks! Just finished the main storyline in the expansion and now i'm wondering about the ending: What kinda rewards do you get from Gaunter O'Dim if you side with him? I didn't.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Just beat the storyline too. Overall I'd say it was pretty loving good, performance issues aside. I also didnt side with that dude, so not sure what items you get :(

I'm at "FInal Preparations" in my game now, so I may go ahead and finish the game and get a NG+ started. I've yet to do that. Gear etc scales up in NG+ I assume? Like the crafted stuff etc?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Do I have to do these sidequests before tackling act 2? or can I finish them right up to the end of the game?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dongattack posted:

Thanks! Just finished the main storyline in the expansion and now i'm wondering about the ending: What kinda rewards do you get from Gaunter O'Dim if you side with him? I didn't.

You can pick between a 100 stamina racing saddle that also "addles" nearby enemies, an infinite source of food to eat for hp regen, infinite alchemy booze or 5000 crowns(lol). Or you can pick nothing like a chump.
If you went with Olgeird, well I hope you found the venomous silver sword in the dream world.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You can pick between a 100 stamina racing saddle that also "addles" nearby enemies, an infinite source of food to eat for hp regen, infinite alchemy booze or 5000 crowns(lol). Or you can pick nothing like a chump.
If you went with Olgeird, well I hope you found the venomous silver sword in the dream world.

Ah nah, i missed that (wow thats pretty gay), thankfully i can just console cheat it in. I'll spoiler the missable item in the quoted spoiler without talking about the ending for anyone worried: venomous silver sword in the dream world

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I hope ya'll patch it so people who got the viper silver sword on ng+ get it swapped to legendary, cause thats some pretty big bullshit. Otherwise, a good-rear end expansion, writing was top notch and the missions were fun. Some of the bosses felt a bit harder than they probably should be, but still a good time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Finished the expansion, I was very impressed and loved the ending (I chose to save Olgierd from O'Dimm) and overall I'm extremely satisfied. I can't wait for the next DLC, though I'm a bit sad that this will probably be it for Witcher for the next few years at least. Still, Cyberpunk is coming!

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'm with you there, everything about this game from the movement to the performance to the graphics just feels worse than when I played a few months ago. Not sure if that's just because I played a bunch of great games since then or what.

Switch to "advanced movement" in gameplay option, it seems to make geralt more responsive indoor.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Only a complete bore would choose Olgried over O'Dimm. My only complain was that there was too much Olgried, not enough Gaunter.

EDIT: Obvious ending spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Sdm3E5cpI Much more cooler. For those whom chose the other ending.

Savy Saracen salad fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 17, 2015

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Only a complete bore would choose Olgried over O'Dimm. My only complain was that there was too much Olgried, not enough Gaunter.

EDIT: Obvious ending spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Sdm3E5cpI Much more cooler. For those whom chose the other ending.

Oh wow, I don't think I would have ever seen that wish, and I prefer O'Dimm to Olgierd.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Hrmm yes, I'll make a deal with a guy who is literally Satan instead of punking his rear end in a riddle contest because I'm a lame jerk.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That final option in the video is really neat, but otherwise I'm okay with tricking the devil into going back to hell. It's what Geralt would do :colbert:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Once again, the devil proves to be an elf.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

I can see why the bidding for the auction house glasses was so competitive. Geralt looks pretty slick around town with them on.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

paired with the new moon gear set he looks dapper as gently caress.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Replaying this game, got a question. Do you always get an ability point at level up?

Found my first place of power, got an ability point. That's one point in total, but I'm level 2. I should have another one, right?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Sorry if this has been asked and answered but I am avoiding reading the thread because of possible HoS spoilers. I'm on PS4 and I went to play HoS today but my saddlebags are gone and I'm overburdened. Any quick fixes for this or do I have to buy new ones/wait for a patch?

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
As for skill points, yes you gain one per level, and one per place of power. There's also a late game item that gives you +2 skill points called the magic acorn. Are you sure you let the entire animation finish?
In total, there are 25 places of power and 1 magical acorn.

Also what's neat is heart of stone starts your custom guy at level 32, but gives you 42 skill points. Of the 25 places of power, 21 of them are still acquirable, so you actually have 5 extra points if you decide to NG+ with this Geralt.
Normally, at 32 you can have at most 31 from level ups, 25 from places of power and 2 from the magical acorn. A total of 58 skill points, but the HoS starter character can have 63. Unfortunately, you very quickly run out of things to invest in, so it is a moot point.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Any indication who the best merchant is to flog all my looted swords/armour to in 1.10/HoS? Everyone seems to give either duff prices or have gently caress all gold.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah, I received the ability point from the PoP. It seems that it's the level up point that disappeared somehow.

EDIT:: Okay, another point disappeared when I tried to upgrade a skill. I'm level 3 and I've found 2 PoPs. So I should have 4 ability points in total, right? Pretty sure I've spent them all, but I can only count 2 points in all the branches. What the hell.

EDIT:: Nevermind, I'm retarded.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 17, 2015

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

Yoshimo posted:

Any indication who the best merchant is to flog all my looted swords/armour to in 1.10/HoS? Everyone seems to give either duff prices or have gently caress all gold.

The runesmith usually has a lot of money, and the armorer and weaponsmith in Kaer Trolher seem to have decent cash.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
loaded up my old save and started HoS. only to find that my sign bonuses weren't working. Yrden doesn't act like a turret, Quen doesn't regain my health when struck, etc... They are loaded in my character panel.

Is there a fix for this or am I waiting for a patch?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rubicon posted:

loaded up my old save and started HoS. only to find that my sign bonuses weren't working. Yrden doesn't act like a turret, Quen doesn't regain my health when struck, etc... They are loaded in my character panel.

Is there a fix for this or am I waiting for a patch?

Probably a stupid question but are you remembering to hold the button down to use the alternate forms?

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

Regy Rusty posted:

Probably a stupid question but are you remembering to hold the button down to use the alternate forms?

uh...that's weird. After I read this post, they suddenly started working!

Thanks. completely forgot about that.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Is anyone using a steam controller with this? I got it on gog so I don't have access to user configs. How do they work for you?

My issue is that there is a kind of lag when moving the camera. Like the first few mm of my thumb touching it doesn't register, then it gets going.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Auction question:

Any benefit to scooping up all the items?

Is there an "optimal" way to do the heist?

I went with acrobat elf girl and eyepatch dwarf. The elf fled as soon as the heist went south, and I think the dwarf alerted the guards with the explosion? My fat fingers caused me to turn on my partner, so he and the dwarf died by my hand. Opted not to kill the auction house owner and just took the box sans papers. .

Somewhat related, I loved the gwent obsessed merchant. He doesn't want to sell you anything, he just wants to play gwent! :3:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snuffman posted:

Auction question:

The painting can be sold for a nice profit to the bookseller in Novigrad. He also gives you an item as well, but I forget what it is.

The glasses look sweet.

I didn't buy the Maltese Falcon.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Snuffman posted:

Auction question:

Is there an "optimal" way to do the heist?

I went with acrobat elf girl and eyepatch dwarf. The elf fled as soon as the heist went south, and I think the dwarf alerted the guards with the explosion?.

Somewhat related, I loved the gwent obsessed merchant. He doesn't want to sell you anything, he just wants to play gwent! :3:

Heist spoiler: The elf is apparently the only choice for acrobat (the halfling turns out to be dead before you get to him) and she always flees after the hostage situation on the ground floor, and the only difference between the two options for the safecracker seems to be whether you'll have a fight against the guards outside (dwarf) or against some spiders in a trap behind the vault door (human), and which of the two brothers at the end that your safecracker will ally with.

All in all, this isn't supposed to be a smooth heist where you go in and get out with what you came for, cracking jokes with your comrades about a job well done. This is a heist planned by a guy who's bringing a lot of baggage himself, and turns out to be a very unsympathetic character once it is brought into the open.

The elf was the smartest person present when she decided to get the hell out of dodge.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
So I finally got around to beating the game yesterday. In the fight leading up to Eredin, a lot of the dogs were really hard to kill, seemingly having tons of HP, some were outright impossible to kill and took no damage, and Eredin himself was hitting me over and over for very little damage, barely making my health move, making the fight trivial. I'm playing on normal, was my game bugged?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Really loved the expansion, good story, intriguing characters and fantastic setpieces. Specially loved the musical theme. The only thing i didn't like were the bosses, they were kinda tedious and health spongy, that might have been exaggerated by it being NG+ tho.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Is this a bad time to start playing NG+? It seems like most of the bugs people are reporting are in NG+, so should I just wait for a patch? I'm on PS4, if that matters.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Snuffman posted:

Auction question:

Regy Rusty posted:

The painting can be sold for a nice profit to the bookseller in Novigrad. He also gives you an item as well, but I forget what it is.
The glasses look sweet.
I didn't buy the Maltese Falcon.

If you dismantle the falcon at a crafter it will dismantle into a note and a key for a quest.

Also, I'm sad I didn't buy the glasses or the painting.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Liking the additional dialogue. See, he's not such a bad guy provided you don't try to get out of your pact.

O'Dimm > Olgierd.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Geralt is a witcher.
Witchers get rid of monsters.
Gaunter is a monster.
Qed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Found this note in Keira's home that pretty much gives away her true intentions w/r/t Alexander's research, many many hours before it actually becomes relevant in her side quest chain. That's pretty neat, but I doubt having this knowledge will let me not fall for her ruse before The Advancement of Learning since there's not really a way the previous quest could lead into it otherwise. :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I do like O'Dimm better than Olgierd but I just couldn't resist the option for a riddle competition with the devil

Sorry pal you should have less ironical weaknesses

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Regy Rusty posted:

I do like O'Dimm better than Olgierd but I just couldn't resist the option for a riddle competition with the devil

Sorry pal you should have less ironical weaknesses

Haha yeah pretty much. Olgierd deserved a lot of comeuppance even if he's ultimately a pretty tragic figure, but I couldn't just stand around while a monster/demon/Satan got away smug and scott-free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I'm the kind of guy that worries about using finite resources even if they're plentiful like dwarven spirit and alcohest. Sorry Olgierd but your soul is a small price to pay for the power of infinite booze and my peace of mind while playing an alchemy build.

Also just want to say bravo for the tax collector bit. Not often a game causes me to actually laugh out loud.