Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Dogs are evidently capable of climbing ladders. Was expecting the usual turkey shoot that happens when you're at a higher elevation and they can't get to you but the one that came rocketing up to my face put a stop to that. I'm not sure if it's just something to do with the Truck Cemetery being wonky or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Owl pays good money for stuff he wants...

edit; and just because this was so long overdue and I know we all went and did it.

No Flint to kill though, a shame but that just means Degtayrev got to him first.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 16, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I looked for Scar's VSS in the swamp, but no dice.

Kinda miss the unboxed stashes of vanilla CoP, because now loot is kinda lacking

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I dunno what the deal with repair kits is. They can only repair like 10 of the billions of guns in this game.

Also does OWR add a UMP? I really need a submachine gun that shoots .45 hydrashock

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

NeoSeeker posted:

I dunno what the deal with repair kits is. They can only repair like 10 of the billions of guns in this game.

Also does OWR add a UMP? I really need a submachine gun that shoots .45 hydrashock

Yes. Order a close range weapon from Nimble and you might get it. It's awesome, the only drawback being the ammo weighs a good amount and doesn't penetrate armor at all.

Sparkyhodgo
Jun 21, 2003
Long potato

NeoSeeker posted:

If you haven't played the first game, Metro 2033, I suggest you do.

Last week. Unimpressed.

You're right about Dishonored. I was similarly unimpressed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Missing Name posted:

Yes. Order a close range weapon from Nimble and you might get it. It's awesome, the only drawback being the ammo weighs a good amount and doesn't penetrate armor at all.

.45 ACP seems to work much better overall imo, the M1911A1 is super strong against man and mutant. :jihad:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Where do you go for PDAs if you're military? I can't go into the Bar area without getting the poo poo shot out of me.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

-Troika- posted:

Where do you go for PDAs if you're military? I can't go into the Bar area without getting the poo poo shot out of me.

Clear Sky in the swamps has a dude there I believe.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rayjenkins posted:

Clear Sky in the swamps has a dude there I believe.

Yeah there is, but is he neutral to military?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

MariusLecter posted:

Yeah there is, but is he neutral to military?

He's Clear Sky, so yes?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Clear Sky aren't friendly towards the military by default, but should be neutral towards a military player character, I think, since they're their own factions.

Bowrrl
Mar 12, 2011

FirstPersonShitter posted:

edit: also where can i find the 'alcoholic and a dickhead' song from the bandit base? i found a version of it on youtube but it's not as good and missing the english verse

I think this one is the same (5:21) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Ldwaqlqm8

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Ugh, I've been hanging around Cordon as a Merc and eventually Clear Sky shows up there. So I'm minding my own business and bam, rifle butt to the face. thankfully I can kill them without aggro'ing the Loners, but still. You'd think they could treat the place as neutral ground.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Started up a CoC game, wandered around like a dumbass in the starting area, ending up rescuing a guy from bandits.

Its been pretty fun so far. :sureboat:

Now I just need to make some money...

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

.45 ACP seems to work much better overall imo, the M1911A1 is super strong against man and mutant. :jihad:

I began a run of CoC and then restarted, figuring that I could do the early game a little more efficiently once I had a read on the game.

Start as a Loner with a TOZ-34, PM, and a leather jacket, getting in shootouts and looting ammo to raise rubles from Sidorovich. Pretty quickly I got up to a sunrise suit, a 1911, and a bear detector, and the first two levels of gun kits popped up in Sid's inventory. I made a beeline to Army Warehouses with some stops to grab artifacts and other loot. I zeroed out my bank on a Winds of Freedom suit and boosting it and the 1911 through the second level of upgrades. Then I took a job from Lukash: conquer the bandit base in the Dark Valley.

I didn't bother counting how many I took out but it must have been between 25 and 30, all with the 1911 and TOZ-34. It was really fun. Little hairy on the approach, because I came in from Trucks Cemetery and had to pass a lot of open ground and baddies with rifles and SMGs, but once I pushed through to the gate and started engaging from up close it was a bit of a massacre. I grabbed a Sig-550 to repair and keep, plus about 40 kilos of ammo to sell. In my test run I really liked the Glock 17 because of the accuracy and the generous magazine, but the .45 ACP really is king. I can do way more with 11 shots from a 1911 than 21 shots from the Glock.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Klaus88 posted:

Now I just need to make some money...

Get the mod that allows you to sell up to 80% broken guns and you'll have a ton of cash.

EvanSchenck posted:

I didn't bother counting how many I took out but it must have been between 25 and 30, all with the 1911 and TOZ-34. It was really fun. Little hairy on the approach, because I came in from Trucks Cemetery and had to pass a lot of open ground and baddies with rifles and SMGs, but once I pushed through to the gate and started engaging from up close it was a bit of a massacre. I grabbed a Sig-550 to repair and keep, plus about 40 kilos of ammo to sell. In my test run I really liked the Glock 17 because of the accuracy and the generous magazine, but the .45 ACP really is king. I can do way more with 11 shots from a 1911 than 21 shots from the Glock.

I love clearing out that base simply because it's so chaotic. Also 30 bandits have a LOT of loot. Some random loner squad rocked up on the east side of the base and helped out, they jacked some of the loot but I guess they earned it. Had to check my fire in the stairwells a few times so I didn't accidentally panic fire and put a slug into one of them.

If you really like .45 ACP get the UMP from Nimble. It's a bit heavy for a sidearm but 35 rounds of .45 will ruin anything up to a pseudogiant.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My first mission as a Freedom member involved rescuing a dude from the Garbage. I go to the bandit station where he's being kept, and I decide to make a run for it after killing the first couple guys I found. As soon as I tell him to follow me, I see every bandit start shooting through the windows, towards the tunnel. Five bloodsuckers were rampaging through the couple bandits on that side, and they started to enter the station. The prisoner got tag-teamed and killed pretty fast, so I decided to just say gently caress it and run away.

CoC owns.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Just cleared out the Agroprom Military base. Another 30+ man slogfest, also gently caress APCs and invincible speakers, that drunken major on the PA system wasn't the only one getting pissed off about all the racket outside :suicide:

250+ kilos of loot that I now get to truck all the way back to the bar, not to mention all the crap I'll wind up getting off even more bandits in the Garbage and any soldiers that respawn in Agroprom. I'm kinda pissed that a fresh spawned soldier had a PKM that glitched through the world when I shot him, at least I got half an ammo belt but still I wanted that gun :(

Sold what I could to the loners in the northern Agroprom building but they're all poor newbies so i just sold em bread and 9x18mm that I'll never use. Speaking of 9x18 why was the Bizon taken out of OWR3? It was a good sink for all that trash 9x18 ammo.

Azran posted:

CoC owns.

:agreed:

That bandit station in the garbage is the best. Even though a lot of the sentries tend to spawn and stay in the same places every time, nothing's better than sitting on the giant garbage piles (now with 100% less radiation!) and watching a whole pack of pseudodogs just shred their way through the place.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Minarchist posted:

Get the mod that allows you to sell up to 80% broken guns and you'll have a ton of cash.

Where do I find this guns mod? :saddowns:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Klaus88 posted:

Where do I find this guns mod? :saddowns:

staberind posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nkhbfyeq13ws9c8/AACwe011NZOXpT-xn16KgA0da?dl=0 see if this works, 50 is obv 50%, 80 is up to 80% damaged, so with 2-3 bars left.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qk4xtk4tnsroaj1/COC.7z same for mediafire.

Anyone know how to get to these two anomaly fields in the NE of the red forest map? Everything's blocked off by unclimbable hills or some dumb barbed wire.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 17, 2015

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
So, I made my way through the Oasis anomaly in CoC, and there was absolutely nothing there! I guess the canonical Degtyarev snagged it.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
What I really want though... Bolts with white cloth tied to them and cool cloth physics.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 17, 2015

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
So, for CoC, any recommended graphic mods? I feel like a whore for even bringing up graphics but here we are. Something more moody.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Minarchist posted:

Being unable to sell enemy weapon drops bugged me at first, but I realized it isn't a big deal. I haven't compared the weight/price scientifically but a 100% condition Sig-550 weighs 4.3kg and will sell for around 1000RU, so around 232 RU per kilo. The 5.56 ammo you feed it will fetch over 1000RU per kilo, and even trash like 9x18mm will go for >500RU/kg. The main disadvantage is time efficiency, because every NPC has at least one gun but most of them only carry 60 bullets or so. If you're only looting bullets you have to kill and loot more guys before you've filled your backpack and have to find a trader.

As a money-making tip if you're in a neutral faction, there seems to always be a ton of human activity around Army Warehouses. Just pop by the Freedom base every so often, there are usually some combination of competing squads killing each other. A lot of the time you won't even need to do anything, you can just wait until the shooting stops and loot everybody who didn't make it, and run it right over to Skinflint. I was just passing through and walked into a Duty/Freedom/Bandit three-way firefight in the Duty Outpost. It ended with one Duty second lieutenant standing and me pawning 15,000 RU worth of stuff, mostly bullets.

quote:

If you really like .45 ACP get the UMP from Nimble. It's a bit heavy for a sidearm but 35 rounds of .45 will ruin anything up to a pseudogiant.

Ordinarily in STALKER I go for the thickest armor and heaviest guns, but I'm finding that making do with lighter gear is an interesting challenge.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

EvanSchenck posted:

Ordinarily in STALKER I go for the thickest armor and heaviest guns, but I'm finding that making do with lighter gear is an interesting challenge.

It's amazing starting a new game and running for a mile before getting winded. Then you start picking stuff up...

Something I haven't tried yet: does wearing faction outfits cause anyone to treat you any differently?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
So I was bored this morning and dragged every bandit and military guy in the dark valley into the big pit in the bandit base. Don't ask why, I was bored.Now I remember I got bored of searching the same bodies 20 times over since they were scattered all over the place and the pit is a nice and tidy place. Anyway I had to reload the save after a CTD, and well, X-Ray physics being what they are...

:nms:http://webm.host/59dcb/

I shouldn't have done this :ohdear:

e: oh god i can hear them wriggling around down there while im dragging my new bandit friend loaded with loot to the garbage :gonk:

Saint Sputnik posted:

Something I haven't tried yet: does wearing faction outfits cause anyone to treat you any differently?

No, thank god. It'd be nice to sneak into the military areas wearing camo but no dice.

EvanSchenck posted:

The Wind of Freedom suit is great, weighs nothing and does nothing to protect you (just don't get shot :downs:) but you can run forever and carry a whole lot.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 17, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

One of the few things I liked about MISERY was the ability to attach mutant bits and armor plates to whatever gear you had. It was actually fun and useful, unlike 95% of everything else that was added.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Minarchist posted:

Anyone know how to get to these two anomaly fields in the NE of the red forest map? Everything's blocked off by unclimbable hills or some dumb barbed wire.

Go towards the bottom-most anomaly, where there's normally a Burer and a derelict T72. From then, go north and you should find a small tunnel (with a really nice friend!) that takes you past the hills IIRC.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Minarchist posted:

The Wind of Freedom suit is great, weighs nothing and does nothing to protect you (just don't get shot :downs:) but you can run forever and carry a whole lot.

It's what I'm wearing, and I have nearly all the upgrades. I love the mobility and the awful protection is an interesting handicap to work around, but I'm kind of souring on it because of the terrible durability. It falls apart the second anybody sneezes on you. I think I might go back down to Nimble and upgrade to the Clear Sky armor he sells. I pretty much always used the SEVA and exoskeleton, so I want to try other stuff for end-game gear. Is the clear sky battle suit any good?

Missing Name posted:

One of the few things I liked about MISERY was the ability to attach mutant bits and armor plates to whatever gear you had. It was actually fun and useful, unlike 95% of everything else that was added.

I liked their character class idea, because it seemed an interesting way to vary the gameplay experience. IMO vanilla STALKER really funnels the player towards heavy armor and a scoped AR to shoot everybody in the head, so class-based bonuses and penalties to push the player in other directions, like mobility and short range shooting, or precise single-shot sniping. In practice I'm sure they made it lame and not fun.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Blacktoll posted:

So, for CoC, any recommended graphic mods? I feel like a whore for even bringing up graphics but here we are. Something more moody.

absolute structures and absolute nature are ported to CoC, and a must imo. there's also a bunch of reshade presets available on CoC's page on moddb if you want to use that to make it look more like MISERY for example, check the addons section on moddb.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

EvanSchenck posted:

It's what I'm wearing, and I have nearly all the upgrades. I love the mobility and the awful protection is an interesting handicap to work around, but I'm kind of souring on it because of the terrible durability. It falls apart the second anybody sneezes on you. I think I might go back down to Nimble and upgrade to the Clear Sky armor he sells. I pretty much always used the SEVA and exoskeleton, so I want to try other stuff for end-game gear. Is the clear sky battle suit any good?

I compared what Freedom sells and went with the Guardian suit, it's a nice compromise between Wind and whatever the other one is.

Just cleared out the bandit camp in Darksomethingorother, helped along by some monsters and a psi emission. Is that "alcoholic and a dickhead" song really not by Leningrad?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I like the English voices better. How can I re-enable them?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Azran posted:

Go towards the bottom-most anomaly, where there's normally a Burer and a derelict T72. From then, go north and you should find a small tunnel (with a really nice friend!) that takes you past the hills IIRC.

Well, I found the anomalies, but it was a bit of a bust. The Fresh Bones anomaly kills you as hard as it is possible to be killed (vortex + multiple burners) and only had 2 droplets, and The Field Where I Died has an artifact but it won't spawn even when I'm on top of it with the Veles detector out. At least I got to fight a pseudogiant and 2 electro Burers at the same time at night near a ton of anomalies I couldn't see through all the brush :suicide:

Got out alive, albeit empty handed and short of ammo. Gonna hit up Forester with 120K and get my gear pimped properly.

e: found a snowflake in a random electo field. Yay! Too bad my suit has no artifact containers. Also went from 120K down to 40000, that's just from maxing out my armor, helmet, and AN94 :stare:

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 18, 2015

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
All the CoC stuff aside (I've yet to feel the urge to go for it), I got my hands on the OL 3.1 mod. Either I got a glitched version, or someone decided misery was a good mod to try and combine with, but gently caress. Every map past the Bar I go to gets spammed with Bloodsuckers or chimeras, and sometimes both.
Went to the old duty farm (now Freedom's hangout) and heard a bloodsucker, so climbed up into the rafters of the old building next to the one everyone hangs out in. In comes a heard of dogs and Chimeras and just maul the gently caress out of the squad in that barn. By the time i polished off the beasts from my vantage point, five bloodsuckers come running in and rape me.
Hell, the new maps are even worse because they spawn in military and monolith like it was going out of style. Survived a few firefights and a herd of bloodsuckers and chimeras in the swamp only to try and make it to some help and hit a spot that just went full "Radiation too high" with no warning and killed me instantly.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

SocketWrench posted:

All the CoC stuff aside (I've yet to feel the urge to go for it), I got my hands on the OL 3.1 mod. Either I got a glitched version, or someone decided misery was a good mod to try and combine with, but gently caress. Every map past the Bar I go to gets spammed with Bloodsuckers or chimeras, and sometimes both.
Went to the old duty farm (now Freedom's hangout) and heard a bloodsucker, so climbed up into the rafters of the old building next to the one everyone hangs out in. In comes a heard of dogs and Chimeras and just maul the gently caress out of the squad in that barn. By the time i polished off the beasts from my vantage point, five bloodsuckers come running in and rape me.
Hell, the new maps are even worse because they spawn in military and monolith like it was going out of style. Survived a few firefights and a herd of bloodsuckers and chimeras in the swamp only to try and make it to some help and hit a spot that just went full "Radiation too high" with no warning and killed me instantly.

I haven't played OL in a long time (2.9 maybe?) but IIRC it is very generous with the mutant/squad spawns. Every emission was followed by mass spawns of mutants in level change spots or other Smarts. 30m from the level exit and suddenly here come a pair of Chimeras, a dozen or so pseudo/blind dogs, a small army of bloodsuckers, and a random snork or two.

OL wants you to die miserably just as much as Misery does, it just gives you the opportunity to react with maniacal laughter or stunned shock rather than an overwhelming sense of tedium.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Minarchist posted:

Well, I found the anomalies, but it was a bit of a bust. The Fresh Bones anomaly kills you as hard as it is possible to be killed (vortex + multiple burners) and only had 2 droplets, and The Field Where I Died has an artifact but it won't spawn even when I'm on top of it with the Veles detector out. At least I got to fight a pseudogiant and 2 electro Burers at the same time at night near a ton of anomalies I couldn't see through all the brush :suicide:

Got out alive, albeit empty handed and short of ammo. Gonna hit up Forester with 120K and get my gear pimped properly.

e: found a snowflake in a random electo field. Yay! Too bad my suit has no artifact containers. Also went from 120K down to 40000, that's just from maxing out my armor, helmet, and AN94 :stare:

I also found a Military squad while going towards the T72. They were shooting at something. I was Duty so I said "heh, what the hell, I'll help them". Some cat nearby made some noise so I thought they were fighting one of those or maybe a pack of pseudodogs. At worst, a bloodsucker. Nope, motherfucking Chimera.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
In CoC, if you completely obliterate a faction from their main base and then leave the area, will they eventually respawn new shopkeepers and such?

Also, if this is set after CoP, Nimble shouldn't be hanging out in Cordon with just basic rookie gear. He's rich now :colbert:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^In my world he's dead. Every loving time, he's dead.

Vorenus posted:

I haven't played OL in a long time (2.9 maybe?) but IIRC it is very generous with the mutant/squad spawns. Every emission was followed by mass spawns of mutants in level change spots or other Smarts. 30m from the level exit and suddenly here come a pair of Chimeras, a dozen or so pseudo/blind dogs, a small army of bloodsuckers, and a random snork or two.

OL wants you to die miserably just as much as Misery does, it just gives you the opportunity to react with maniacal laughter or stunned shock rather than an overwhelming sense of tedium.

Nah, I could handle the old just fine. this was the last update that added the swamp, Red Forest, Limansk, and Dead City maps. Red Forest being the most hysterically generous spawner of military guys. Expect to run into 20-30 man squads everywhere from approaching exit points to simply idling through the forest or hanging out on the bridge. And they respawn faster than you can loot'em, so either be ready to fight or run like a bitch.

did finally make it to the NPP, was surprised to find both Pripyat and the old teleporter firefight map behind the plant are mostly dead. In front of the plant though? gently caress me, Burer/Chimera loving hell. Managed to hide in some wreckage and start cleaning out the Burers and chimeras along the rail track. then the Chimeras started climbing walls, WTF? Accidentally overshot one with a rifle grenade over by the cooling ponds and gently caress me, Burers started flooding out of that area towards me. Fortunately managed to hop up on the abandoned truck stuck on the tracks there and hide in the bed to use the sides as a shield when Burers got too close to shoot at and started heaving grenades

Almost forgot the emission that hit half way through. First time I was forced to experience one in the open while the moon was out. It just shoots across the sky like it doesn't want any piece of that, either

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

-Troika- posted:

In CoC, if you completely obliterate a faction from their main base and then leave the area, will they eventually respawn new shopkeepers and such?

At the moment, but last night Alundaio pushed a version of the game with working faction spawns onto the dev repo. Some time today I'm planning on releasing a patch where most factions can occupy each others' bases in true faction war style. I have the Monolith, Mercenary and the Stalker bases in CoP maps yet to do, but it should be finished this afternoon. I'll just have to test out the spawn times to see if I've made things too excessive after that.