Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

From the other side of Super Robot Wars BX I can basically confirm that AGE, like SEED DESTINY, is one of those shows that's definitely better in Super Robot Wars, mostly because it highlights the strengths of the series (Radical loving mobile suits) and de-emphasizes a lot of its insufferable elements. It's also fun when Banpresto makes executive decisions that sort of lay their opinions of a show on the table. For instance the first time the Gundam Legilis deploys it doesn't give the one-sided smackdown it did in the show, on the contrary there's a plot mandated event to end the stage where you shoot it down. Sadly its pilot in that instance ejects, and even more sadly he meets his canon death. Maybe the next Nintendo game will give that bastard the death the nasty death he deserves. Banpresto also worked repeatedly to salvage the star of AGE's worst goddamn arc Girard Spriggan. Not only is she recruitable but she shows up a couple of times as an ally before the events of those episodes and actually gets interaction with main characters (She makes friends with Akito and is there to help for the fight on the Garuda from Gundam Unicorn).

Also you get to shoot people with Plasma Diver Missiles that have 9999 base power. Those things are awesome.

Oh and final goofy note: In BX the timeline is such that AGE's Char clone actually chronologically predated the real Char. So in the context of that game Zeheart Gallete was the first dude in Gundam to wear a goofy metal mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I know exactly when I first got into Gundam as I have the posts on this very forum to prove it. Although I had been contemplating watching Gundam for years before this. I kept putting it off and putting it off because of the elements of the fandom I had been exposed to. I won't pretend SEED is my favorite Gundam show or anything but to hear the people I used to talk with tell it, Gundam SEED is responsible for all the suffering in the world.

Once I actually became a fan myself though and saw more of the fanbase, I realized it wasn't so bad. I even discovered that there are people who don't like Zeta. I don't know why this is but there are.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Seed is merely bland and uncreative. Much like Seed Kira, come to think of it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

NikkolasKing posted:

I know exactly when I first got into Gundam as I have the posts on this very forum to prove it. Although I had been contemplating watching Gundam for years before this. I kept putting it off and putting it off because of the elements of the fandom I had been exposed to. I won't pretend SEED is my favorite Gundam show or anything but to hear the people I used to talk with tell it, Gundam SEED is responsible for all the suffering in the world.

Once I actually became a fan myself though and saw more of the fanbase, I realized it wasn't so bad. I even discovered that there are people who don't like Zeta. I don't know why this is but there are.

Zeta has some really rough parts like the incredibly awkward Four romance and the entire Rosamia segment and it also has a cast absolutely filled to the brim with total assholes. I like the show but I can definitely see people not liking it and it's definitely not my favorite series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kanos posted:

Zeta has some really rough parts like the incredibly awkward Four romance and the entire Rosamia segment and it also has a cast absolutely filled to the brim with total assholes. I like the show but I can definitely see people not liking it and it's definitely not my favorite series.

I was going to post why I didn't like Zeta but Kanos here got it perfectly. The main cast is just way too full of completely unlikable characters, including and I'd go as far as saying especially the main character himself. It does have some really good ones in between the poo poo, but they're mostly the guys who came back from the previous series (with the notable exception of Emma, who is amazing and the one death that nearly made me cry).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

kamile being a huge douchebag who solves all his problems by punching people was awesome

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Most of the cast of Zeta being assholes was partly the point, so I don't really count that as a negative in that sense. I can understand people not liking it though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Droyer posted:

Most of the cast of Zeta being assholes was partly the point, so I don't really count that as a negative in that sense. I can understand people not liking it though.

It was definitely the point and not necessarily a black mark on the series's writing.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Zeta's problem is the really uneven pacing and how it flounders in the middle for a bit. I have no problem with the characters; they're interesting to watch. There's a lot of stupid stuff, like the Titans being unable to find Team Kamille's ship docked in Hong Kong, even though their ship isn't hidden and could easily be found and wiped out with the Psyco Gundam instead of having the Psyco rampage through Hong Kong to make them surrender, Four being resurrected, Reccoa's stupidity, and that weird filler episode where Paptimus and the Argama race to Granada with the first dude that gets there being able to take it over, but I can easily excuse it because I'm easy to please.

That's not to say I dislike it; it's one of my preferred series, but it is a quite bumpy ride.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Luin's stag night with Klim and the boys must have been one hell of a thing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Good, cry more Noredo :getin:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would, no lie, watch a 25 episode series of "Luin Lee and Klim NIck gently caress around and get blitzed."

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Zedd posted:

Good, cry more Noredo :getin:

don't be rude to noredo, she's cool

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
meanwhile raraiya is looking like she's about to go and marry noredo

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gyra_Solune posted:

meanwhile raraiya is looking like she's about to go and marry noredo

I think she's just comforting her emotional friend, but I'm not opposed to your reading.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Well that plan turned out terribly. Instantly captured, Shrike Team member number 4 is dead, and nearly killed by the guillotine, if not for the help of the other children. And now Katejina is piloting a Zanscare suit and has Usso on the ropes... looks like she's gone full traitor I guess. Fonse really knows how to rile up a crowd, "Pray for your queen, and execute those who would laugh at her with the GUILLOTINE!" I am hoping he get his comeuppance. It won't be soon, but hopefully I can wait 25 episodes for it.

The Kill Count is still at 22.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Raxivace posted:

You knew what a Gundam was because people in Japan knew already. You know because you share a connection with them.

Lessail, you are a Newtype.

I'm pretty sure I had that same deal going on.

Though in my case it was exposure to cheap pog knock offs with photos of SD Gundam kits printed on them I found at a craft store and Bandai putting the movie trilogy and a couple of the OVAs out at like Suncoast before Wing hit.

Lanz fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 17, 2015

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Ha... ha... ha... Usso has become a destroyer of worlds this episode. He had already destroyed two mechs by the first half of the episode, bu he had to man the cock and balls cannon and fire it himself, destroying at least eighteen Zanscare battleships with it. I don't know how large the crew would be for one of those, but let's give a conservative estimate and say 100 people. That brings Usso's kill count to... 1800, plus 24 previous to that. Welp, I didn't expect him to get that many kills, that's for sure. Also of note, the second last Shrike Team member died. I was right, Connie did last the longest. Now let's see if she can survive another 15 episodes (I seriously doubt it.)

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 1824

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Ha... ha... ha... Usso has become a destroyer of worlds this episode. He had already destroyed two mechs by the first half of the episode, bu he had to man the cock and balls cannon and fire it himself, destroying at least eighteen Zanscare battleships with it. I don't know how large the crew would be for one of those, but let's give a conservative estimate and say 100 people. That brings Usso's kill count to... 1800, plus 24 previous to that. Welp, I didn't expect him to get that many kills, that's for sure. Also of note, the second last Shrike Team member died. I was right, Connie did last the longest. Now let's see if she can survive another 15 episodes (I seriously doubt it.)

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 1824

These are the types of numbers I was looking forward to

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The population of a few villages or a small town

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

In Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden, Usso is easily one of the best pilots. He's practically untouchable and will hit even the dodgiest enemies.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

In Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden, Usso is easily one of the best pilots. He's practically untouchable and will hit even the dodgiest enemies.
Couple that with him learning the Soul spirit command and access to a decent MAPW, and Uso is very useful to have around. Especially when you have to deal with stuff like Frost Brothers ShenanigansTM.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Reading this thread reminded me how I first got into Gundam; It was when I bought a 1/144 Dragon Gundam in Chinatown. As luck would have it, Gundam Wing started on Toonami later that year. I saw Shenlong and thought "wow, the Gundam with one dragon arm must upgrade into the one I have". I still remember how super disappointed when Altron showed up. Figured I had a cheap Chinese knock off or something, all the little design flourishes seemed to suggest it.

Then it all came full circle years later when I watched G Gundam...

Thinking back on it now, Gunpla sure went through a weird extendo arms phase in the late 90s, what with Dragon, Shenlong and then Virsago.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

The Gedlavs are just the silliest things... Anyway, Katejina seems to be a frighteningly competent pilot, she's constantly getting the better of Usso to the point where I'm thinking she's actually the Char of the series. Oliver is basically making the biggest death flag possible for himself, so I give him three, four episodes tops before he bites it. The kill count is unchanged, but I saw the preview for the next episode and... I don't think I want to watch it.

Episode 29 whenever I guess.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Katejina being the char makes a hell of a lot more sense tbh

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

The Gedlavs are just the silliest things... Anyway, Katejina seems to be a frighteningly competent pilot, she's constantly getting the better of Usso to the point where I'm thinking she's actually the Char of the series. Oliver is basically making the biggest death flag possible for himself, so I give him three, four episodes tops before he bites it. The kill count is unchanged, but I saw the preview for the next episode and... I don't think I want to watch it.

Episode 29 whenever I guess.

The einerads are the best and I love them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

It was definitely the point and not necessarily a black mark on the series's writing.

I'd say it was definitely intentional on Tomino's part, but I'm not sure it was really the point. Unless the point is "everyone's kind of an rear end in a top hat, but that's okay" or something, which it could possibly be but I don't think that was really something Zeta was shooting for. I haven't seen it in years though, so I may just be forgetting some fundamental stuff. Regardless, I certainly found it off-putting. I actually enjoyed that Kamille was a hothead with no foresight or restraint for a good chunk of the show because it made him an interesting lead - I just hated that everyone else was basically an rear end in a top hat too. Unlike 0079 or other shows there was no real feeling of camaraderie on the Argama. It felt like these were people who were only working together because they were left with no choice and who actually hated each other and had no desire to be there at all even though the major power in space was gunning for them and that should have created a rather oppressive "us versus them" feeling and caused people to bond purely based on overwhelming odds and shared experience. Outside of a handful of moments like Kamille bringing tapes back for Roberto and Apolly though, the crew of the Argama never really feels like they get at all.

Gyra_Solune posted:

Katejina being the char makes a hell of a lot more sense tbh

I saw someone saying recently that Chronicle is the Kycilia of Victory, not the Char, which makes a fair bit of sense. They wear similar masks for similar reasons and both characters are acting out of love of family as much as anything else.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

I'd say it was definitely intentional on Tomino's part, but I'm not sure it was really the point. Unless the point is "everyone's kind of an rear end in a top hat, but that's okay" or something, which it could possibly be but I don't think that was really something Zeta was shooting for. I haven't seen it in years though, so I may just be forgetting some fundamental stuff. Regardless, I certainly found it off-putting. I actually enjoyed that Kamille was a hothead with no foresight or restraint for a good chunk of the show because it made him an interesting lead - I just hated that everyone else was basically an rear end in a top hat too. Unlike 0079 or other shows there was no real feeling of camaraderie on the Argama. It felt like these were people who were only working together because they were left with no choice and who actually hated each other and had no desire to be there at all even though the major power in space was gunning for them and that should have created a rather oppressive "us versus them" feeling and caused people to bond purely based on overwhelming odds and shared experience. Outside of a handful of moments like Kamille bringing tapes back for Roberto and Apolly though, the crew of the Argama never really feels like they get at all.

I feel like everyone being assholes is Tomino saying "War draws bad people towards it, and makes good people worse", which ties into the anti-war message that's common in Gundam

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What's with Kamille's change in condition between the end of Zeta and ZZ? At the end of Zeta he just seemed to have reverted back to a four year old, and in ZZ he seems full on comatose.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

What's with Kamille's change in condition between the end of Zeta and ZZ? At the end of Zeta he just seemed to have reverted back to a four year old, and in ZZ he seems full on comatose.

Presumably his condition deteriorated offscreen.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

And I thought the Tomliats were made of explodium... the Gedlav just destroys everythiing when it goes up. The V2 is looking very slick, I am a fan. I am not a fan of Lupe trying to take a bath with a 13 year old boy... The rest of the episode was cool though.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 1825

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

And I thought the Tomliats were made of explodium... the Gedlav just destroys everythiing when it goes up. The V2 is looking very slick, I am a fan. I am not a fan of Lupe trying to take a bath with a 13 year old boy... The rest of the episode was cool though.

The V2 is probably my favorite protagonist Gundam. It's like the giant robot version of a sports car and I love it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Motherfuckin' Wings of Light, yeah.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Even in a recap episode, Usso does not let up. Six More Zoloats destroyed on the way to the moon, and he got to show off a couple of neat tricks with the new V2 Gundam. But yeah, watch the first half of the episode, the rest is just "oh yeah remember when I did this?" boring stuff.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 1831

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Logicblade posted:

Lupe is part of Tomino's weird women issues he was airing out with Victory, specifically the belief that the most sacred and important duty a woman can ever accomplish is giving birth to and nuturing new life. Lupe wants Usso to be a sort of adoptive son for her since she never had a child.

(The Shrike Team are basically an entire group of surrogate moms for Usso that exist to die protecting and helping him, to add to the show airing out this belief)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kanos posted:

Lupe is part of Tomino's weird women issues he was airing out with Victory, specifically the belief that the most sacred and important duty a woman can ever accomplish is giving birth to and nuturing new life. Lupe wants Usso to be a sort of adoptive son for her since she never had a child.

(The Shrike Team are basically an entire group of surrogate moms for Usso that exist to die protecting and helping him, to add to the show airing out this belief)

IIRC, that's also why tragic Cyber Newtypes are girls in Tomino's works; it's him saying "Wow, these dudes are so hosed up they're making women, the creators and nurturers of life, into neurotic killing machines! Aren't these guys really evil warmonglers or what?"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Droyer posted:

I feel like everyone being assholes is Tomino saying "War draws bad people towards it, and makes good people worse", which ties into the anti-war message that's common in Gundam

The thing is, everyone that is an rear end in a top hat starts the series as an rear end in a top hat and stays pretty much the same as far as I can recall, while Kamille, Fa and Emma, the three characters introduced to the war either stay the same or actually get better in the case of Kamille. At least on a social and personal level, so it's kind of hard to see that as true.

Droyer posted:

The V2 is probably my favorite protagonist Gundam. It's like the giant robot version of a sports car and I love it.

I think the Gerbera Tetra is probably the closest Gundam gets to a sports mecha, if not mecha in general gets to it. It looks like it was designed by Ferrari - though there is also the actual Ferrari Gundam from, I believe, a G manga fan competition.

Gerbera Tetra

Ferrari Gundam

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Nah, Lupe's pretty explicit about wanting to gently caress him so he can give her a baby. Lady is messed up (and astonishingly, not a solid candidate for 'most screwed-up woman in the show'). Basically, her role seems to be 'women are extra-valuable as creators of life... but not like that. Dear god, never like that'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

tsob posted:

I think the Gerbera Tetra is probably the closest Gundam gets to a sports mecha, if not mecha in general gets to it. It looks like it was designed by Ferrari - though there is also the actual Ferrari Gundam from, I believe, a G manga fan competition.

What about the Recordbreaker?