Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

precision posted:

Holy poo poo, have they really been saying "Hiro's coming back next week" every week?

Yes. :ughh:

Batham fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Maybe they're reassuring the audience that the show hasn't been prematurely cancelled and the clips featuring Masi Oka are just unfortunate editing. "Next week, Hiro's coming back!" should actually read "Next week! Heroes! Coming back!". It's a classic Die Bart Die scenario.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Inkspot posted:

Maybe they're reassuring the audience that the show hasn't been prematurely cancelled and the clips featuring Masi Oka are just unfortunate editing. "Next week, Hiro's coming back!" should actually read "Next week! Heroes! Coming back!". It's a classic Die Bart Die scenario.

Works on contingency? No, money down!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm skipping a whole bunch of posts (for now) to say I'm finally getting to watch this and I'm liking it. It reminds me of the good old days

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I really don't care how dumb the threat is. I just want a world ending threat in a literal sense.

It's pretty sad but while "Save the world" is a huge catchphrase on the show, so far..

Season 1: Save the world New York City
Season 2: Wander in loving circles, eventually anti-climatically actually save the world from a virus
Season 3 Vol1: Save the world from a future that never even came close to happening
Season 4 Vol2: Was about saving their asses, I guess, not the world.
Season 4: Uhhh I guess he could have split the world in two? If that was supposed to be a risk they did a bad job explaining it. Otherwise they saved a Circus.

Yet in every one of those I guarantee "Save the world" was brought up 50 times minimum, even the seasons that had nothing to do with it. I really hope this time they're being at least a little literal.

Valeyard posted:

I'm skipping a whole bunch of posts (for now) to say I'm finally getting to watch this and I'm liking it. It reminds me of the good old days

Seriously I'm picking on it a lot, but like I said above, 2nd best season of Heroes. Loaded with WTF moments, sure, but thus far it's a hundred times more coherent and it's pacing is far faster, making it infinitely more watchable. Then again, Heroes has fooled me before, so I think part of it is waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Case in point: Almost everyone in the Season 3 thread was digging the show for 4 or so episodes. It's only after 5 or 6 people started suspecting that nothing would add-up. By episode 7, every single plot point in 1-4 was punched full of about 100 plot holes, and literally made the only episodes people liked at all completely outdated, immediately. (Don't forget, the ILLUSION of Linderman healed Nathan because *fuuuuuck*)

So I just keep waiting for Heroes Reborn to slap out an episode that invalidates everything, and makes every action taken far more insanely stupid. I don't trust them not to. I hope they hold it together. I'm viewing this whole thing as a one-shot just like the network, so I'd just like a good end, so it's not like they have to marathon for 22+ episodes a year.

That said, it's still got hilarious individual issues that scream "Tim Kring is still a moron," like going out of his way last episode to show a redemption plot where a dude burns down the neighborhood. You'd think someone would have looked at that shot and said "We need to make the external shot of this house so it is at least not right next to the neighbors." Instead they just rolled with it, and played it like it was a positive moment, while I am 99.9% sure that most everyone watching the show went WHAT THE gently caress.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 18, 2015

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know, I really don't care how dumb the threat is. I just want a world ending threat in a literal sense.

You saw the last episode, right? The threat seems to fit the bill.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The one thing I'll say about this season is I've made it further into it than the circus season.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Blazing Ownager posted:

That said, it's still got hilarious individual issues that scream "Tim Kring is still a moron," like going out of his way last episode to show a redemption plot where a dude burns down the neighborhood. You'd think someone would have looked at that shot and said "We need to make the external shot of this house so it is at least not right next to the neighbors." Instead they just rolled with it, and played it like it was a positive moment, while I am 99.9% sure that most everyone watching the show went WHAT THE gently caress.
Everything about the Zach Levi storyline has become the worst part of this show, and we seem to be getting more of it every week. I don't believe a single part of it and all the attempts to give Luke pathos just make me dislike him more. Even the katana girl parts are better, bad fake 90s video game included.

I'll definitely agree with the 2nd best season sentiments though. Really not a high bar to clear, but it does it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's a bit unfair to Zach Levi that he gets stuck with this horrible character but I do really appreciate his obvious talent. Guy's a very good actor, at least when he's allowed to just emote and not stuck screaming "WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME!!"

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

It's a bit unfair to Zach Levi that he gets stuck with this horrible character but I do really appreciate his obvious talent. Guy's a very good actor, at least when he's allowed to just emote and not stuck screaming "WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME!!"

That's the most frustrating part of it, he's working hard to make it something, they are just giving him crap to work with.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I bet he actually helps save the world by sucking up the solar flare and then gets ported elsewhere to go nova

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

... That's a pretty good call actually.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Flesh Forge posted:

It's hardly the lowest he's sank. Remember he was in Video Game High School.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

The best part of the show so far is when it brings up old characters in an attempt to provoke a "Oh my god, they're back???" response but the person I'm watching with reminds me of something dumb they did in Season 3.

e: Mexican Batman is the most blatant Arrow rip-off and doesn't fit the rest of the show at all.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I bet he actually helps save the world by sucking up the solar flare and then gets ported elsewhere to go nova

That's basically the season 1 finale.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Genetic Toaster posted:

e: Mexican Batman is the most blatant Arrow rip-off and doesn't fit the rest of the show at all.

Yeah that's probably why it's the best part of the show, by a whole bunch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I slightly enjoy the idea of him teaming up with Bane but the way they went about it was pretty loving dumb.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Genetic Toaster posted:

The best part about that guy is that he went and built a goddamn super-suit to fight a cop with super strength.

When he finally confronts the guy, he's got a tube up his nose and is drugged to poo poo.

Imagine if in Aliens, in the final scene, Ripley comes out in the power loader all, "Get away from her you bitch!" and the Queen trips and falls into the airlock and accidentally spaces herself.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

It's hardly the lowest he's sank. Remember he was in Video Game High School.

He's currently also in Geeks who Drink which has the dubious distinction of being the worst semi-game show I've seen in recent memory.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

His thing is he doesn't just play a nerd on TV, he is one in real life.

errad
May 31, 2013
my favorite thing is how it takes the mutants 5 minutes to charge up their fire balls or ice bolts or lightning fingers or whatever. If their super power is less effective than a gun, why does anyone care about them. Obviously the teleporting/time controlling mutants are a different story.

Look out man in 10 minutes i'm going to have turned completely to smoke and you'll never catch me hey wait why do you have a gun that's not fair. Harry Potter sort of worked because it was set in England where they have no guns.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

His thing is he doesn't just play a nerd on TV, he is one in real life.

Party Plane Jones posted:

He's currently also in Geeks who Drink which has the dubious distinction of being the worst semi-game show I've seen in recent memory.

I could have sworn he was a really normal Mormon guy and they're not supposed to drink!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

The best part about that guy is that he went and built a goddamn super-suit to fight a cop with super strength.

I REALLY want to know if they intended to suggest he punched through a cop's skull in that scene.

They NEVER showed the result of the impact (censored?) and there was a massive blood burst that went off in the entire front seat of the van. Because that's pretty hilarious. I am hardly opposed to lethal superheroes (The Punisher might be favorite Marvel character and I'm waiting for Daredevil Season 2 rather impatiently as a result), but jumping from "PTSD War Vet" to treating police heads like water balloons is a pretty big jump.

"I want to help people but gently caress DA POLICE!"

ED: In a black comedy that could have actually been really funny. Expect the normal superhero "punch them and they go flying" and then just instead get a fist full of brain. OOPS!

errad posted:

Look out man in 10 minutes i'm going to have turned completely to smoke and you'll never catch me hey wait why do you have a gun that's not fair. Harry Potter sort of worked because it was set in England where they have no guns.

I laugh how "power of plot" their charge times are; that priest that can INSTANTLY turn into mist anytime he's not being aimed and shot at with a taser was hilarious.

Also, every since watching the last Harry Potter movie, I've laughed about that. One gun could have made all the difference and the metal image of the final wand fight (I hate "beam vs beam" super fights.. hate them) playing out where right in the middle one of them uses their free hand to pull out a big rear end handgun is kind of great.

Flesh Forge posted:

I've long, long stopped judging actors based on lovely scripts. I've seen such dramatic night-and-day differences and I don't blame him.

Worst part is, I think they could have FIXED their entire plot with just a single change to the characters: Make them hunt dangerous Evos, ones that might have gotten away from the law: They see stories of a guy burning down a home or freezing and shattering people in a bank, and go after them. Maybe along the way they find some evos that aren't as guilty as they thought, and maybe even kill them before they realize that.

Bam. Done. Instantly, these people become a thousand times more sympathetic, and I can buy him wanting to step away and getting a redemption; he didn't realize what he was doing exactly, and a lot of people he killed MAY have deserved it.

Instead we get "complete serial killers" with a pussy whipped dude nodding and being supportive of his wife as she madly cackles with glee about how much fun it was to murder a couple and pose the bodies.

ED: Also they could have had their child killed to INTENTIONALLY MALICIOUS dangerous evos, and not just some random bomb. Finally I'm totally staking a bet right now it's revealed his kid would have been an evo (and they are saving that for the 'big tragedy reveal'). Calling it now.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 19, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MildShow posted:

That's basically the season 1 finale.

And it'll probably be less contrived as they assemble.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Also they could have had their child killed to INTENTIONALLY MALICIOUS dangerous evos, and not just some random bomb. Finally I'm totally staking a bet right now it's revealed his kid would have been an evo (and they are saving that for the 'big tragedy reveal'). Calling it now.

I think so too. In the photos/memories, the kid looks like he has some kind of sunlight sensitivity (hence all the protective gear). Probably (would have) had a similar ability to Luke.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
remember when the show said the powers came from an eclipse

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

precision posted:

Was that before or after an eclipse took everyone's powers away?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

precision posted:

Even though a lot of people had powers before the eclipse, including Nathan who just happened to get them like six months before.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

Even though a lot of people had powers before the eclipse, including Nathan who just happened to get them like six months before.

Nathan's dad and Malcolm's character had powers back in Vietnam. Also immortal dude for feudal Japan.

Heroes never made sense but at least it was entertaining.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I hope this show goes for broke with being a bad video game (Hey, a reason for the video game characters) and has the world falling apart while everyone fights a shady corporate woman in her robot suit, powered up with everyone's stolen powers.

It'd be dumb, but the kind of dumb the show deserves to go out on.

ED: "Quick, Katana girl! Jump into the game and look for a glowing weak spot!"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MildShow posted:

Was that before or after an eclipse took everyone's powers away?

Funniest thing about that was 5 episodes of build-up to this brief like few-hour window where nobody had powers, and two factions of super people were at war.

I thought to myself "Oh man, this makes for an interesting situation, nobody's heavy hitters will work and they'll actually have to plan some really careful strike at each other while they have the chance and..."

Que an episode where all I can remember is Sylar running around 'not being evil because I don't have powers' inconsistently again up until he murders Elle for.. reasons? And that's it? Neither side did poo poo with it. Great job!

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 20, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really, really hope that Adam somehow got out of the coffin and shows up to kill Hiro this season

Adam got jobbed hard

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Literally forgot that Veronica Mars was even in this show, I think I've forgotten more about seasons 2-4 than I remember

Oh oh, remember the deaf girl? Her story was actually kinda sweet :unsmith:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

precision posted:

The eclipse seen across the entire world at the same time?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

precision posted:

I really, really hope that Adam somehow got out of the coffin and shows up to kill Hiro this season

Adam got jobbed hard

I thought he did and then got instantly consumed by Daddy Petrelli. It was a tremendous WTF moment, and not one of the relatively few good ones.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I watched the first three eps and this show isn't as horrible as I was expecting?

Maybe because I only watched the first season of the old show and a little of the second, I checked out when Peter was an amnesiac Irish thief and Sylar was on a roadtrip with Typhoid Mary and her brother...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

I thought he did and then got instantly consumed by Daddy Petrelli. It was a tremendous WTF moment, and not one of the relatively few good ones.

Correct. It's how papa petrelli heals up and season 3(?) starts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So Adam got jobbed out twice, is what we're saying here.

As much as I don't mind this reboot, it very much begs the question: why doesn't someone just write a spy thriller show for Jack Coleman to star in? He's very obviously the best part of the show, the show even acknowledges this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Did he do ANYTHING in between this seasons and the previous ones?

If anything dude should have aimed for a supporting spot on the new X-Files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Flesh Forge posted:

It was the moment I knew the show was hosed and would never come back.

PassTheRemote fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 20, 2015

• Locked thread