Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Wulfling posted:

Also what the gently caress is this supposed "greatest advancement in human education and entertainment"? They can't seriously be talking about this fraud of a game pyramid scheme.

They definitely loving do, they are just that delusional. Its an absolute cult. Part of me wants the game to come out so goons can just swarm the thousand dollar ships with $1 poo poo boxes and jihad into them and watch as they cry and cry. I guess infinite insurance would put a damper on that, but still it would probably drive them insane.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Fixed that for you.

Haha, I didn't even realize that. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Gerbil_Pen posted:

The reddit mod :shrek:

"I don't make a habit of cyberstalking people I don't like. Unlike Beer. I know this because I cyberstalk his posts on another forum."

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5785076/#Comment_5785076

Simkill made the terrible discovery just today and acted accordingly.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

My greatest continuing source of joy from this whole debacle is that it has become obvious that every single one of the developers, white knights, forum mods, and managers know that this thread exists and a great number of them read it frequently.

It's pretty obvious that this place is just reacting to the punches like every other community out there, so it's not like they're here for critical intel to stay ahead of trolls. Yet they keep reading. Why is that, I wonder? Could it be that the forums and subreddits they cultivated are lacking something? Some critical element, perhaps, that was present early on in the community but now seems entirely absent?

Or are they literally just trolling for evidence of dissent to justify further banning? Because that'd be really pathetic.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Wait so Wulf Kinght works at a help desk? Of course he does.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Sedisp posted:

Wait so Wulf Kinght works at a help desk? Of course he does.

Worked a help desk, appears to be unemployed right now.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

My greatest continuing source of joy from this whole debacle is that it has become obvious that every single one of the developers, white knights, forum mods, and managers know that this thread exists and a great number of them read it frequently.

It's pretty obvious that this place is just reacting to the punches like every other community out there, so it's not like they're here for critical intel to stay ahead of trolls. Yet they keep reading. Why is that, I wonder? Could it be that the forums and subreddits they cultivated are lacking something? Some critical element, perhaps, that was present early on in the community but now seems entirely absent?

Or are they literally just trolling for evidence of dissent to justify further banning? Because that'd be really pathetic.

We should move the thread to private game servers, so everyone who wants to read it has to give up :10bux: to the community that they so loathe. I'd make me happy inside.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Good Dumplings posted:

Worked a help desk, appears to be unemployed right now.

Probably fired for trying to show his dick to a coworker.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

We should move the thread to private game servers, so everyone who wants to read it has to give up :10bux: to the community that they so loathe. I'd make me happy inside.

It's not like the forums aren't already getting a huge investment from noted bitcoin millionaireTM seraph84.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The other best part is that all they'd have to do, all they'd have to do, to prove 90% of this thread wrong, is release a functioning game and have it be any good. That's it- no need for bans or refunds or endless back and forth drama or purity tests or what-the-gently caress-ever, just make the game. It'd instantly silence all of the "Game's never coming out" criticism, and kneecap the "Money's being thrown away for nothing" argument as well.

Yet they don't do it. Despite clearly demonstrating semi-functional prototypes over and over again with FPS demos dating back to 14 months ago, the only thing they've released of note this year is a static level that a few people can wander in at a time. They never release anything of substance and at this point they give no dates at all. And the fans don't question it.

I wonder why?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

:Lowtax: Great news, the forums will remain open for another 200 years thanks to the donations pledges investments from all the Star Citizens!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sarsapariller posted:

I wonder why?

You just don't understand game development.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Sarsapariller posted:

The other best part is that all they'd have to do, all they'd have to do, to prove 90% of this thread wrong, is release a functioning game and have it be any good. That's it- no need for bans or refunds or endless back and forth drama or purity tests or what-the-gently caress-ever, just make the game. It'd instantly silence all of the "Game's never coming out" criticism, and kneecap the "Money's being thrown away for nothing" argument as well.

Yet they don't do it. Despite clearly demonstrating semi-functional prototypes over and over again with FPS demos dating back to 14 months ago, the only thing they've released of note this year is a static level that a few people can wander in at a time. They never release anything of substance and at this point they give no dates at all. And the fans don't question it.

I wonder why?

if they release a functioning game i still win because i can still buy it for whatever the average price of a loving game costs instead of hundreds to thousands for jpegs for years on end

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
If brown-sea people really are reading these threads for some reason:

No-one in a cult actually thinks they are in a cult. They are just in an awesome group. A great community. Have a wonderful mentor.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You know what to do with that face.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
did anyone ever explain what baby pu even means? i only remember us turning into poop jokes.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Lock it up Nostalgia, and ship the thread behind the paywall!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Agrajag posted:

did anyone ever explain what baby pu even means? i only remember us turning into poop jokes.

just another attempt to move the goalposts by croberts

they've gone from 60 separate games, to 3, and now they've combined at least 2 of them into the PU for some reason

and it's probably better sounding than pre-alpha-pu

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Agrajag posted:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's a weird phrase to use, because you can be guaranteed Baby PU comes out.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Wafflz posted:

goons ruining games that don't exist has to be some sort of record

In the case of SC, goons would hold the Guinness Book of World Records title for ruining the most crowdfunded game of all time...

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Wulfling posted:

How have real lives been destroyed because pixels were destroyed in a game?

When I worked at SOE there was an entire policy in place for people threatening to hurt themselves because multiple times someone had killed themselves over something that happened in-game. Mostly in Everquest.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

natetimm posted:

When I worked at SOE there was an entire policy in place for people threatening to hurt themselves because multiple times someone had killed themselves over something that happened in-game. Mostly in Everquest.

I remember hearing Blizzard has a policy on this as well.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Someone sounds mad...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if big baps betty was an actual person that also happens to read this thread. That'd be pretty good imo

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

natetimm posted:

Oh god... imagine the EverquestNext fans....

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Reddit has no sympy for SA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfvGECYB6Gs

Sarsapariller posted:

I wonder why?

*posts picture of world of warcraft, LA noire development time compared to SC, forgets that CIG originally said the game would be out a year ago*

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

natetimm posted:

Did you guys have a cyber crime unit to track down those cyber criminals?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Skoll posted:

I remember hearing Blizzard has a policy on this as well.

It's the death punishment from EQ that got them really going. They had some guy fall asleep logged in and get killed lots of times by someone training mobs onto him and when they wouldn't revert his character he killed himself. Another guy shared a virtual house with a person where they stored all their poo poo and one day he came home and everything was gone and the person had him blocked. Nerds.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Sedisp posted:

Did you guys have a cyber crime unit to track down those cyber criminals?

Haha no, but more than once a supervisor had to look up a customer's personal info through billing and call the police in their town because they were threatening to hurt themselves. I worked for Star Wars Galaxies. When they finally released the patch that added in Jedi, there were people in the general chat openly weeping.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

natetimm posted:

It's the death punishment from EQ that got them really going. They had some guy fall asleep logged in and get killed lots of times by someone training mobs onto him and when they wouldn't revert his character he killed himself. Another guy shared a virtual house with a person where they stored all their poo poo and one day he came home and everything was gone and the person had him blocked. Nerds.

:stare:

Did you ever get to keep someone from killing themselves?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Reddit has no sympy for SA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfvGECYB6Gs

*posts picture of world of warcraft, LA noire development time compared to SC, forgets that CIG originally said the game would be out a year ago*

Can you imagine taking that chart at face value and being ok with this farce continuing for like five more years?

Malleovic
Sep 8, 2007

OMGGG you could've tripped and DIED

Brockelley posted:

Loitering over people is creepy.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Good Dumplings posted:

Worked as a GM for a MMO and we had a player who sent us email after email for an issue I can't remember, likely a permaban. He eventually emailed our supervisor and said that if his account wasn't released he would kill himself. We looked up his local P.D. and told them what he told us and where he lived.

His next email was basically "ha ha thanks for calling the police on me. I wasn't REALLY going to do it but I am serious about getting my account back"

vvv have any interesting SW: G stories? Always wanted to play it but my computer was total poo poo back in the day vvv

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 19, 2015

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Good Dumplings posted:

The only one that happened while I was there was one of the supervisors calling the cops on an obviously crazy guy talking about killing himself and other people. His mom was like: "I hate your game, I think it's ruining my son's life. But he had stopped taking his meds and didn't tell us, so you probably stopped something really bad from happening." I guess they ended up having him locked up somewhere until he calmed down. Pretty much your prototypical adult nerd living in his mom's basement but for bonus points he's also a poorly-medicated lunatic.

I also had another weird ticket submitted to me where some guy was playing with his friend who went to go investigate a noise outside his house and never came back, so he put in a ticket because he was concerned. It ended up being nothing though, the guy just had friends show up and forgot to log out.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chomp8645 posted:

Can you imagine taking that chart at face value and being ok with this farce continuing for like five more years?

When this kickstarter finished back in 2012, I was pretty sure there was no way star citizen would release before 2016, given a semi-competent team, and I was perfectly OK with that. 4 years is ok for a space shooty game.

Seeing the "progress" they've made since 2012, though, there's no way this game is ever coming out.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Good Dumplings posted:

I think in these cases the best response is to just let it happen

This cat will illustrate:

The cat's neck being skritched is the 'suicidee' if you will

I think the cat has the right idea

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Agh doublepost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Sarsapariller posted:

Same! I'm sure this thread is a much more direct line of communication to CIG than the concierge service or whatever, and it's because this thread is a million times more interesting than anything going on in that community. The corporate intrigue is the only interesting aspect this game has left in it. How long are jittery golf-carts and "two weeks" supposed to sustain peoples interest?

• Locked thread