Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kajeesus posted:

God drat, he made it worth the wait.
Holy poo poo yes. About drat time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I think nowadays long wait times are always followed by some :krad: splash panel.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Poor Durkon, they might resurrect him but his beard will never recover from this :(

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

e X posted:

:siren:Giving Up Hope:siren:

Is that an appropriate title or what?

edit: Also, gently caress YOU, Durkula!

quoting for new page.

Also, gently caress yeah!

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Poor Durkon, they might resurrect him but his beard will never recover from this :(

Hah, I wonder if the beard will be the equivalent of V's/Elan's/Haley's new outfit after their arcs.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I don't get how Durkon being a dick about his brother provides the insight he needed about durkon not being himself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ikanreed posted:

I don't get how Durkon being a dick about his brother provides the insight he needed about durkon not being himself.

I'm pretty sure the reason is that Durkon, no matter how pissed, no matter how angry, and no matter how different, would never actually enjoy taunting someone about the death of a child. Durkula's been dancing around "this is Durkon's hidden emotions" but he overplayed it by trying to strike at a weak point that Durkon never would. It almost worked too but he overplayed his hand when he enjoyed himself instead of merely blaming Roy for it.

Notice that Roy doesn't figure it out until he starts taunting him about the number of pieces he was in.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Presumably he got a detail wrong. Maybe Durkon's soul managed to slip him a false memory, or he connected true facts the wrong way, or just somehow contradicted Roy and Durkon's common history. It will probably get explained in the next comic - I don't think we've been shown the relevant facts yet, but having the explanation right before Roy's big moment here would have destroyed the scene's pacing.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

"Here's one thing I've always wondered since you first told me this story: When you found his dead body [...] how many pieces was it in?" totally something Durkon had on his mind all these years that would not tip off Roy.

Also the excessive sadism.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I really hope that it isn't a matter of getting some little detail wrong, because that would suggest that Roy is totally willing to believe that Durkon has it in him to be a sadistic poo poo to one of his oldest companions, and the only reason not to buy it is some small contradiction. It's much better overall if its just Roy realizing that even when Durkon is angry and hurt this is not at all how he would behave.

Also, the latter also demonstrates to Durkon that the vampire is lying and is more than just his own bad feelings come how to roost.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There was an episode a while ago where Durkon realized the vampire spirit watched his memories only for factoids and was very bad at seeing connections between them. I always thought that would lead to his downfall somehow. Might be part of what's going on.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Roy might not mean it in a "I've figured everything out and mean this 100% literally" sense. Not everything is an absolute.

Speaking of absolutes, did Roy just take a level of Paladin? I realize his sword will glow/flame on crits. But, hot drat.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

rocketrobot posted:

Roy might not mean it in a "I've figured everything out and mean this 100% literally" sense. Not everything is an absolute.

Speaking of absolutes, did Roy just take a level of Paladin? I realize his sword will glow/flame on crits. But, hot drat.

It's not on crits, since you can't crit the undead. The exact mechanism is undetailed but correlates strong with Roy's anger at his foe.

/ :spergin: :spergin: :spergin:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It activates when rolling a natural 20 on an "it would be cool and appropriate and make for a hell of a scene" skill check.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

If we don't get a background of Roy dressed as a vampire hunter, I will be sad.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rygar201 posted:

It's not on crits, since you can't crit the undead. The exact mechanism is undetailed but correlates strong with Roy's anger at his foe.

/ :spergin: :spergin: :spergin:

:spergin:back at you, critting the undead is possible, it's just that it's generally pointless to confirm the crit because they will not receive extra damage. However, many weapons have a special ability that is activated on critical hits, and monsters immune to critical hits can still trigger these effects.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If Roy did manage to solo Durkon he'd certainly catch up to everyone on experience.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

My Lovely Horse posted:

There was an episode a while ago where Durkon realized the vampire spirit watched his memories only for factoids and was very bad at seeing connections between them. I always thought that would lead to his downfall somehow. Might be part of what's going on.

Yeah, that's my thought too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well the spiritual could have been all "give me something to weaken Roy's resolve" and Durkon would be like "Here you go" knowing that would really piss him off.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

:spergin:back at you, critting the undead is possible, it's just that it's generally pointless to confirm the crit because they will not receive extra damage. However, many weapons have a special ability that is activated on critical hits, and monsters immune to critical hits can still trigger these effects.

I'm pretty sure that is straight up untrue. Undead aren't subject to critical hits. You don't crit them, then rolled unmodified damage. You just don't crit them.

Man, I can't get over how much I like this comic. The art upgrade really has added some extra impact to it for me. I used to be impressed by how much emotional heft Rich got out of stick figures, but now I kind of wish the whole archive looked this good.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Clarifications courtesy GiTP forums:

Rich posted:

[Durkon] showed [Durkula] Roy telling him the story about what happened with Eric. That's it.

GiTP Forums poster posted:

I think Roy is just realizing that this level of sadism doesn't fit "Durkon, but Evil," especially since he's claiming Durkon was a jerk retroactively ("one thing I've always wondered").

Rich posted:

Yes, exactly. This is a tactical error on the part of the vampire, not a trick on the part of Durkon.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Those forums are so bad. I read them sometimes, but the signal to noise ratio is...poor.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Makes sense and I'm glad it's apparently gonna be explanation enough.

SRD say that undead "are not subject to critical hits." So not even additional effects beyond damage. If you give a sword an effect that specifically affects undead, it wouldn't be smart to key it off crits. Although the way D&D is written I'm sure exactly such an effect exists somewhere.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rygar201 posted:

I'm pretty sure that is straight up untrue. Undead aren't subject to critical hits. You don't crit them, then rolled unmodified damage. You just don't crit them.

Then why do the SRD specify that undead, golems and oozes aren't affected by losing their head from a vorpal sword?

SRD posted:

Vorpal

This potent and feared ability allows the weapon to sever the heads of those it strikes. Upon a roll of natural 20 (followed by a successful roll to confirm the critical hit), the weapon severs the opponent’s head (if it has one) from its body. Some creatures, such as many aberrations and all oozes, have no heads. Others, such as golems and undead creatures other than vampires, are not affected by the loss of their heads. Most other creatures, however, die when their heads are cut off. A vorpal weapon must be a slashing weapon. (If you roll this property randomly for an inappropriate weapon, reroll.)
If there were no crits, then the vorpal effect would never kick in for creatures such as oozes, constructs, and undead, so there would be no point to specify what happens to them.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Cat Mattress posted:

Then why do the SRD specify that undead, golems and oozes aren't affected by losing their head from a vorpal sword?

If there were no crits, then the vorpal effect would never kick in for creatures such as oozes, constructs, and undead, so there would be no point to specify what happens to them.

This isn't a crit, this is a natural 20! :eng99:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

the way D&D is written

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, I figured the key words there that tipped off Roy was "all these years".

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rygar201 posted:

DMG pg 222 posted:

Some weapon qualities and some specific weapons have an extra effect on a critical hit. A flaming burst weapon, for example, does extra fire damage on a critical hit. This special effect functions against creatures not subject to critical hits, such as undead, elementals, and constructs. When fighting against such creatures, roll for critical hits as you would against humanoids or any other creature subject to critical hits. On a successful critical roll, apply the special effect, but do not multiply the weapon's regular damage.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a mechanism in D&D where you can get story/roleplaying-induced crits? Because Roy totally just got one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I retract my earlier statement about what wouldn't be smart. What is, in fact, not smart is writing down "not subject to critical hits" when it fact you're only talking about damage and have people cross reference three pages with no indication.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

Is there a mechanism in D&D where you can get story/roleplaying-induced crits? Because Roy totally just got one.

Yeah when you are really low on hp you make sure you roll your die out of sight of anyone else and then proclaim you got a 20.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

blastron posted:

This isn't a crit, this is a natural 20! :eng99:

quote:

Upon a roll of natural 20 (followed by a successful roll to confirm the critical hit),
emphasis mine

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

So some the GITP forums posters are noting that Roy is conspicuously absent of any previously drawn battle damage in the splash panel. I wonder if it's artistic expression (can't see them in the light of the sword?) or some new effect of the sword.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

I retract my earlier statement about what wouldn't be smart. What is, in fact, not smart is writing down "not subject to critical hits" when it fact you're only talking about damage and have people cross reference three pages with no indication.

Seriously, some reference to this in either the Undead or Critical rules would be pretty awesome.

Whoops, quote is not edit

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah the game could really use some massive editing and rules clarification but 3.5 grognards are more protective about the precious rulebooks than a Southern Baptist is about the King James Version.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

MikeJF posted:

You can accomplish that with the rarely-used "Having a GM Worth A drat" rule variant.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

MikeJF posted:

DM can cheat whatever rolls he likes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hell.
Yes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's right, with all the rules and plot talk I haven't yet properly expressed how ridiculously good a payoff this is in the short, mid, long and super-long term (this scene, the vampire plot, Roy and Durkon's relationship, and who would have thought when the blacksmith told Roy about the green energy effect we'd get to see this), and also how good that splash panel is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Rygar201 posted:

So some the GITP forums posters are noting that Roy is conspicuously absent of any previously drawn battle damage in the splash panel. I wonder if it's artistic expression (can't see them in the light of the sword?) or some new effect of the sword.

He had downed a potion a few panels before.

e: Oh, I see what you mean, he still had some after that. I don't know then.