Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Uhhh, no Zaku, boy.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TNG posted:

Uhhh, no Zaku, boy.

:thejoke:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
chuchumy

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
R.I.P. Oliver. Your kamikaze attack was in vain.

Preparing for the end, Usso's Kill Count: 1826.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Watched all of 0080 for the first time, drat is that a good series.

Great story, fantastic mecha designs little kids helping the enemy

good stuff, on to 0083

drat shame we haven't been getting more UC games here in the US after the Gundam PS3 launch game poo poo the bed.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
That's nothing: we almost got Super Robot Wars Alpha back in the days (Dreamcast version), only to be stopped by one company not willing to lend the rights. Just ONE, out of the massive clusterfuck that is the SRW franchise melting pot. You've got three guesses about what company that was, and the first two don't count.

You're right, it was Harmony Gold!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hey at least Aeon Genesis will finish their translation... Some day... Maybe...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I just the feeling we might have gotten more games officially translated if at elast one ahd made it through. Like the OG games.

Of course, I wouldn't care if my grasp of the ajpanese language didn't suck.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Watched all of 0080 for the first time, drat is that a good series.

Great story, fantastic mecha designs little kids helping the enemy

good stuff, on to 0083

drat shame we haven't been getting more UC games here in the US after the Gundam PS3 launch game poo poo the bed.

0080 has the best mecha design in all of UC, and the opening fight scene is one of the best Gundam fight scenes ever. :3:

Also, people will tell you 0083 is bad but they're wrong. It's good, it's just that Kou is a whiny pissbaby.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's nothing: we almost got Super Robot Wars Alpha back in the days (Dreamcast version), only to be stopped by one company not willing to lend the rights. Just ONE, out of the massive clusterfuck that is the SRW franchise melting pot. You've got three guesses about what company that was, and the first two don't count.

Reading up on their failed kickstarter and
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-08/04/robotech-academy-cancelled

quote:

Bizarrely, Harmony Gold latched onto this hatred, introducing a $2 'Enemy Spy' contribution tier, described as "Do you hate Harmony Gold? Do you hate Robotech? With the Enemy Spy tier, you can feel free to argue to your burning heart's content!"

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

This is definitely not true at all. Who was even supposed to be bringing it over?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Oh neat, a new opening! Perfect thing to celebrate Oliver's untimely suicide. I mean death. He got Marbet knocked up and just peaced out, worst father ever. Anyway... we've got a dragon suit! The Doggorla is cool, so cool! It's a chinese dragon... like an actual dragon mobile suit. gently caress you Wufei you don't know poo poo about dragons. I'm blown away by how cool looking it is.

Anyway, the most hilarious moment was "He's having convulsions!" as he's shaking the life out of the poor kid and shoving poo poo into his mouth. I think it was literally poo poo too. It's a shame the Doggorla died so easily, it was cool. It looks like we're going back to earth, this should be fun. Odelo and Tomache are finally piloting mecha of their own, so it means they are now able to plant their own death flags.

Usso's Confimred Kill Count: 1827

Rip Brohho. Your name is literally bros before hoes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Harmony Gold is lame but this has always been a rumor with no evidence whatsoever

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Did Beltorchika's Children and Hathaway's Flash ever get translated, even by fans?

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

0080 has the best mecha design in all of UC, and the opening fight scene is one of the best Gundam fight scenes ever. :3:

Zeek detected.

I have a laundry list of issues with the opening regarding the absurd level of jobbing by the GMs, particularly this scene. Brace for butthurt.

There's the GMs that teleport behind cover between shots so that they can't just fill the Hygogg full of lead during its dumb slide, the animation error where one of the GMs loses its shield, the GMs having the reaction times of a brain-damaged snail, the fact that the grabbed GM just sort of goes limp and doesn't move a muscle, and the fact that his buddy firing on him without making any attempt to shoot anything but the middle of the Hygogg didn't even hit the cockpit meaning the GM had a solid 5-10 seconds where he could have maybe tried to do something about the Hygogg grabbing his face...

0080's battles are incredibly one-sided other than the last one and it makes them really boring to watch. Particularly the scene with the Kampfer. Some idiot decided to deploy all of the GMs from the air so that they'd damage the colony if they fired at the Kampfer, meaning the Kampfer gets to just sit back and shoot while they can't attack him at all.

Fighting brain-dead opponents doesn't make you impressive, it makes you actively less impressive. If your opponent is competent then you look good when you beat them. If they aren't fighting back at all you look bad because the hand of god is clearly on your side. Muh GMs.

Reds fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 19, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Srice posted:

Harmony Gold is lame but this has always been a rumor with no evidence whatsoever

WrightOfWay posted:

This is definitely not true at all. Who was even supposed to be bringing it over?

Really? Because it's something I've read on a lot of different articles about the Super Robot Wars series online.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Really? Because it's something I've read on a lot of different articles about the Super Robot Wars series online.

Any of them source that allegation? Didn't think so. It's been going around long enough that it's accepted as an article of faith.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Midjack posted:

Any of them source that allegation? Didn't think so. It's been going around long enough that it's accepted as an article of faith.

Aaaah, just like half the information on what's really going on in Evangelion or almost anything about "Tomino once said..."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Reds posted:

Zeek detected.

I have a laundry list of issues with the opening regarding the absurd level of jobbing by the GMs, particularly this scene. Brace for butthurt.

There's the GMs that teleport behind cover between shots so that they can't just fill the Hygogg full of lead during its dumb slide, the animation error where one of the GMs loses its shield, the GMs having the reaction times of a brain-damaged snail, the fact that the grabbed GM just sort of goes limp and doesn't move a muscle, and the fact that his buddy firing on him without making any attempt to shoot anything but the middle of the Hygogg didn't even hit the cockpit meaning the GM had a solid 5-10 seconds where he could have maybe tried to do something about the Hygogg grabbing his face...

0080's battles are incredibly one-sided other than the last one and it makes them really boring to watch. Particularly the scene with the Kampfer. Some idiot decided to deploy all of the GMs from the air so that they'd damage the colony if they fired at the Kampfer, meaning the Kampfer gets to just sit back and shoot while they can't attack him at all.

Fighting brain-dead opponents doesn't make you impressive, it makes you actively less impressive. If your opponent is competent then you look good when you beat them. If they aren't fighting back at all you look bad because the hand of god is clearly on your side. Muh GMs.

Look, we needed at least one scene in UC Gundam where an aquatic mobile suit not piloted by Char does something to justify its existence.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Aaaah, just like half the information on what's really going on in Evangelion or almost anything about "Tomino once said..."

Exactly.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

I dunno man, I think criticizing 0080 for its action scenes as "unimpressive" and "boring" is kind of the wrong direction to go since its aesthetic choices don't really lend themselves to buying into the "mecha action must be cool" narrative. After all, this is a show that criticizes military Otaku at every turn. Unlike a lot of other shows, which have a bit of a gekiga Samurai approach to their action scenes, 0080 emphasizes that combat is quick, brutal, unsatisfying, and pointless in a lot of cases. The Kaempher kills the Scarlett team so quickly not because of budgetary or writing failures, but because it's a killing machine that does ugly and brutal things and in a military conflict an exciting and romantic drama is never the case. Same deal when the Alex blows it away, or when Bernie in the end dies for nothing. Even the opening scene, with all its tactical rolls and sick no scopes or whatever, ends with Steiner holding the bleeding corpse of his comrade as the Gundam gets away anyway.

Ultimately the show asks the people watching it, if they are so inclined, why exactly they're like Al and his friends. Do you(the audience) watch these types of shows because you like violence, the cult of the machine, and watching people die? No, you don't? Well that's what's being depicted, maybe you(the viewer) should consider what you're watching a little closer next time, you might just not find it as exciting or as endearing. It's why 0080 is really one of the better anti-war Gundam shows, its action isn't driven by a need to sell not only a plastic toy product but a mindset that has infected a great deal of science fiction stories. In fact, it's attempting to go the opposite of that. Which I find is really special, and something the genre needs more of.

TNG fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 19, 2015

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

TNG posted:

I dunno man, I think criticizing 0080 for its action scenes as "unimpressive" and "boring" is kind of the wrong direction to go since its aesthetic choices don't really lend themselves to buying into the "mecha action must be cool" narrative. After all, this is a show that criticizes military Otaku at every turn. Unlike a lot of other shows, which have a bit of a gekiga Samurai approach to their action scenes, 0080 emphasizes that combat is quick, brutal, unsatisfying, and pointless in a lot of cases. The Kaempher kills the Scarlett team so quickly not because of budgetary or writing failures, but because it's a killing machine that does ugly and brutal things and in a military conflict an exciting and romantic drama is never the case. Same deal when the Alex blows it away, or when Bernie in the end dies for nothing. Even the opening scene, with all its tactical rolls and sick no scopes or whatever, ends with Steiner holding the bleeding corpse of his comrade as the Gundam gets away anyway.

Ultimately the show asks the people watching it, if they are so inclined, why exactly they're like Al and his friends. Do you(the audience) watch these types of shows because you like violence, the cult of the machine, and watching people die? No, you don't? Well that's what's being depicted, maybe you(the viewer) should consider what you're watching a little closer next time, you might just not find it as exciting or as endearing. It's why 0080 is really one of the better anti-war Gundam shows, its action isn't driven by a need to sell not only a plastic toy product but a mindset that has infected a great deal of science fiction stories. In fact, it's attempting to go the opposite of that. Which I find is really special, and something the genre needs more of.

This is good analysis and I agree with you but I'm pretty sure Reds is taking issue with the fact that people like to gush about how awesome the fight scenes are in 0080 from a visual perspective when they have a lot of choreography problems. Whether or not they have those problems intentionally is another issue, but those problems do exist.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Kanos posted:

This is good analysis and I agree with you but I'm pretty sure Reds is taking issue with the fact that people like to gush about how awesome the fight scenes are in 0080 from a visual perspective when they have a lot of choreography problems. Whether or not they have those problems intentionally is another issue, but those problems do exist.

Certainly, there does exist a discontinuity in the animation in parts, especially in that opening, and that does hurt the suspension of disbelief but I also think that the overall mise en scene of the work is preserved by how its action functions. The term jobbing is interesting here, since it implies that within a fictional reality there has to be a "realistic" bit of competency to people fighting. But to that, the writer and director make choices to get the other guy on the floor to move the story along. The choice here I don't think is "Zeon is wonderful and strong"; the GM's get butchered because 0080's main point is "War isn't fun and enjoyable". And that all these new wizbang designs like the Hygogg, GM Cold Type, Gelgoog Jaeger, and Zaku II FZ aren't so much advertisements for toys you can enjoy and support, but just a different type of coffin for all these characters. You'll die all the same in a variant as you would in the bog standard type.

Of course, I really don't care too much for "cool" action scenes to begin with, and I very much like 0080 because of its supposedly "boring" action. IBO is really interesting to me because despite all the directing flourishes with oblique camera angles, it acknowledges that it's brutal and hosed up what the characters are doing. Not only does it acknowledge it, it very much does not shy away from showing you quite starkly.

TNG fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 19, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

regardless of intent, that opening scene immediately sold me on the Hygogg toy and i think the fight is incredibly cool. "competency" and suspension of disbelief be damned. that stuff often seems kind of like kind of a pedantic complaint anyway

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I really like the choreography and direction of 0080's opening battle. Despite how one-sided it is, I find it handled well enough that it's an aspect that doesn't even matter.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

This is a small thing but the GM goes limp when the Hygogg grabs it because the Hygogg shoots the GM in the head at the same time. You can see it in the GIF. The bullet hole does disappear after that shot though, which makes things more confusing.

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 20, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Your way works too posted:

This is a small thing but the GM goes limp when the Hygogg grabs it because the Hygogg shoots the GM in the head at the same time. You can see it in the GIF. The bullet hole does disappear after that shot though, which makes things more confusing.

Yeah but the pilot doesn't sit in the head, it sits in the chest and the first thing you're going to do if somebody grabs you is at the very least flail.

The message of 0080 aside, since it is the only series so far to successfully avoid "war is hell, but look at these robots aren't they cool", but the opening scene up until they reach the GM guarding the rocket and the first space fight with the Gelgoog Jager are clearly just meant to be regular entertaining action scenes, and they're not good at that. I think it's overthinking it to go "no, they intentionally sucked".

If you want to speculate wildly these fights both take place before Al has had the chance to move beyond the "but look at the cool robots" phase. I think if you wanted to take the action in a subversive direction which isn't glamourous at all 0080 could've done a better job.

I'd rather have 0080's good story than better action scenes anyway. 0080 is the only of the three UC OVAs that doesn't have a plot that falls apart. 0083 with its director switch, and 08th MS Team with its ridiculous and incredibly poorly written Romeo and Juliet plot

08th MS Team's romance even ignoring its impact on the plot bugs me a lot because neither of them know each other. They've interacted with each other for less than two hours, possibly less than an hour by the time they declare their undying love for each other. They don't know a drat thing about each other at that point.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Reds posted:

Yeah but the pilot doesn't sit in the head, it sits in the chest and the first thing you're going to do if somebody grabs you is at the very least flail.

UC suits, especially when animated like they are in 0080 and 08th MS Team, don't flail. The pilot has to pull levers to make limbs move. The pilot was probably trying to activate his backup camera or something.

Reds posted:

I'd rather have 0080's good story than better action scenes anyway. 0080 is the only of the three UC OVAs that doesn't have a plot that falls apart. 0083 with its director switch, and 08th MS Team with its ridiculous and incredibly poorly written Romeo and Juliet plot

The plot to 08th MS team doesn't fall apart, some people just don't like the romance

Reds posted:

08th MS Team with its ridiculous and incredibly poorly written Romeo and Juliet plot

08th MS Team's romance even ignoring its impact on the plot bugs me a lot because neither of them know each other. They've interacted with each other for less than two hours, possibly less than an hour by the time they declare their undying love for each other. They don't know a drat thing about each other at that point.

That's a hell of a lot more than the original Romeo and Juliet

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

UC suits, especially when animated like they are in 0080 and 08th MS Team, don't flail. The pilot has to pull levers to make limbs move. The pilot was probably trying to activate his backup camera or something.

The plot to 08th MS team doesn't fall apart, some people just don't like the romance

That's a hell of a lot more than the original Romeo and Juliet

Say what you will about the lovely romance plot it has some of the best group fight choreography in any giant robot show where its not just 1 person going ham and everyone holding there dick. Its not perfect shirou screaming "I LOVE WHATS HERE FACE" and tearing off his suits arm and beating noris the space nazi upside the head was terrible and amazing at the same time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Reds posted:

08th MS Team also had to get a new director about halfway through, though in that case it was because the original director died.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Tomino's women issues are starting to really come to the forefront here. Well... I mean that they are only getting more blatant as we go on. The people say they want to live in a world with Maria's love, but in their actions they so thoroughly deny what they want, it'd be baffling if it wasn't just hypocritical. In the end it's just powerful men exploiting women to further their own agenda, kind of like what would have happened if Paptimus survived Zeta. This... only gets worse, right?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

You can argue that the show is totally not about the Shiro/Aina romance until the Himalaya Hot Springs segment, at which point it falls apart utterly to be about that, and that occurs in episode 7 of 12 or so. The interaction between the two of them early in the series exists to serve as a support for Shiro's changing opinions on the morality of conflict whereas later it's pretty much AINAAAAA I LOVE YOUUUUU newtype romance style except without the newtypes.

Logicblade posted:

Tomino's women issues are starting to really come to the forefront here. Well... I mean that they are only getting more blatant as we go on. The people say they want to live in a world with Maria's love, but in their actions they so thoroughly deny what they want, it'd be baffling if it wasn't just hypocritical. In the end it's just powerful men exploiting women to further their own agenda, kind of like what would have happened if Paptimus survived Zeta. This... only gets worse, right?

You're not at the bottom of the rabbit hole yet.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Reds posted:

The message of 0080 aside, since it is the only series so far to successfully avoid "war is hell, but look at these robots aren't they cool", but the opening scene up until they reach the GM guarding the rocket and the first space fight with the Gelgoog Jager are clearly just meant to be regular entertaining action scenes, and they're not good at that. I think it's overthinking it to go "no, they intentionally sucked".

I do think that some of the "point" of the fights is that they're one sided, both setting the Zeon guys up as super elite fighting guys and also with the message of war rarely being a fair and even fight and even though they totally clown on the GMs a guy still dies. War sucks. The team of colony GMs flying around being awful was, to me, another way of showing that the colony hadn't seen much fighting at all, hence Al and friends' views. They haven't been exposed to the reality of it and neither have their security forces, meanwhile the grizzled veteran knows how to turn the field to his advantage while the GMs are doing their practiced maneuvers. All the fights being one-sided also makes the impact of the Alex fight that much greater, reinforcing what a powerful thing it is and how important it is to stop it (important enough to nuke a colony). The opening fight scene is the same territory as the colony GMs for me, the GM guys are just not as good as the Zeon squad, they aim for center mass and don't react to the unexpected sick move of the slide+headgrab because they don't have that in the simulator, but for all their skill and experience, in the end one of the Zeon guys still dies and they fail the mission.

You're right that they aren't perfect and they could have been one-sided without the continuity errors and some hand of god moments, but I think them being one-sided is integral to the show.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

EthanSteele posted:

they aim for center mass

Surely aiming for centre mass is proof of better training, since that's where the cockpit is? They're also using ballistic weapons, so their odds of causing a reactor breach are minimal, unlike the Hygogg's seemingly-beam gatlings that the Cyclops team is using on GM torsos willy-nilly in that scene. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Surely aiming for centre mass is proof of better training, since that's where the cockpit is? They're also using ballistic weapons, so their odds of causing a reactor breach are minimal, unlike the Hygogg's seemingly-beam gatlings that the Cyclops team is using on GM torsos willy-nilly in that scene. :v:

You aim to make the enemy combat ineffective at minimum risk to your forces. Whether that's kill the pilot, kill the cameras, destroy the legs or whatever else we can't say; the small scale physics of a fantasy world are forever unknowable, or more accurately up to the writer.

And reactor explosions never seem to matter unless the writer wants them to, in Victory, X, and Unicorn.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Lemon Curdistan posted:

One group is aiming for cameras and being fancy and the other is doing basic point and shoot. Nobody aiming for the big woobly arms, the camera, the legs, or the thrusters on the back, just aim at the biggest (and most heavily armoured part) and hope for the best. It's all obviously just my reading of it all though!

Another thing of course is that a human shaped thing getting shot in the head is more brutal to the audience, whether the pilot is there or not. Similar sort of thing with Zakus reaching out like dying cowboys, the initial visual is more important than when you think about a pilot's last moments being to rev the pedals and move the levers to do it.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
the fight outside the colony also has a layer of sad in that the whole thing is a diversion that seems to cost an awful lot of lives all around for how minor the thing they're covering for is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Here lies Bernard Wiseman

0060-0079

He lived like he died:
a liability