Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The expansion appears to have moved the treasure hunt maps around and the basic Ursine set isn't with the Oxenfurt armourer any more, does anybody know where they moved that off to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Yeesh, awkward...

Sorry Triss.

:laffo:

The "alternate look" outfit makes it even better.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Nerolus posted:

I beat the game and these dudes were hanging out in my yard. Can't kill or interact with them at all.

:confused:

Edit:

I picked up the ear ring that fell out with the pile of bed stuff in the corner and 2 of the 3 disappeared. I made my way out to the main entrance/courtyard and found 2 more standing in the bushes.

I had loads of Wild Hunt guys just like this floating in the air by I think where the boats were in the final battle, was a pretty cool glitch.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Alright, my friend picked this up and now I've got the itch as well. Checking my PC, I meet the minimums (i5 processor and a GeForce GTX 660ti) but don't hit the recommended. I do have a PS4, though. Any pros/cons to getting it for the PC over the PS4 or vice versa?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Yeesh, awkward...

Sorry Triss.

The look on her face is fantastic.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Regarding the major decision at the end of the DLC:

Did anyone side with Gaunter over Olgeird for a reason besides "Gaunter gives you a cool thing"? Olgeird is hardly a saint, but I really can't see any reason to side with the loving Devil.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Saxophone posted:

Alright, my friend picked this up and now I've got the itch as well. Checking my PC, I meet the minimums (i5 processor and a GeForce GTX 660ti) but don't hit the recommended. I do have a PS4, though. Any pros/cons to getting it for the PC over the PS4 or vice versa?

Only Mods, really, it'll probably run ok on the PC, but I'd say go PS4 tbh.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Only Mods, really, it'll probably run ok on the PC, but I'd say go PS4 tbh.

Gotcha. Thanks! I took a look at the mods that were available and it's primarily aesthetic stuff, so eh. Between that and it being 40 bucks for PS4 instead of 60 for PC, I think my mind is made up.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

CVagts posted:

Did anyone side with Gaunter over Olgeird for a reason besides "Gaunter gives you a cool thing"? Olgeird is hardly a saint, but I really can't see any reason to side with the loving Devil.

For me O'dimm is simply much more likable. Hes a chill dude, as long as you keep your end of the bargain. He never breaks his word and never cheats.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

"Lawyers are chill dudes who never cheat" - somebody, apparently

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Also O'dimm torments and kills people just to be a dick.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Savy Saracen salad posted:

For me O'dimm is simply much more likable. Hes a chill dude, as long as you keep your end of the bargain. He never breaks his word and never cheats.

Oh boy!
You have a weird definition of 'never cheats' and while yes technically he doesn't break his word, he twists and stretches the meaning and intent of those words right up to their breaking point.
Because he's the loving devil you dimwit and that's his MO

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Beat the DLC. Loved it; I'd put parts of it (the wedding mostly) up there with the best of the vanilla game.

The boss fights were frustrating but for the most part it was a "holy poo poo I'm so bad and stupid" frustration, not so much the game's fault.

Romanced Shani, saved Olgierd, don't regret either decision at all.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

CVagts posted:

Thing is, O'Dimm is an immortal, time-controlling, demon, and if you gently caress him over, he's going to make it his mission in life to ruin yours. Messing with O'Dimm seems like it would just be the start of an avalanche of problems Geralt doesn't need.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Can you talk to Yennefer or Triss about O'Dimm? My save is at a point where I can't really do so.

I like the DLC a lot, it's really good and I love all the myth and folklore references. But part of me can't get over the villain. A Stephen King style Devil figure in The Witcher setting - it feels like it doesn't quite fit. As much as I like the idea of Geralt interacting with Randall Flagg.

Spite fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 19, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CVagts posted:

I sided with O'Dimm by default because I picked do nothing. gently caress them both. I just wanted the brand gone and to walk away. Not my problem you made a deal with the devil Olgierd. Olgierd is a huge piece of poo poo and O'Dimm is the loving devil.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I sided with O'Dimm by default because I picked do nothing. gently caress them both. I just wanted the brand gone and to walk away. Not my problem you made a deal with the devil Olgierd. Olgierd is a huge piece of poo poo and O'Dimm is the loving devil.

You're a terrible witcher.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't get why they keep nerfing skills in this game. The bomb build is complete trash after the DLC patching and I don't know where you're even allowed to have fun as far as skills go anymore. All that is left is the melee tree honestly as the end-game skills of the other trees aren't worth the investment. It's like there is one set idea of how the game should be played according to the devs and those other ways were accidents that need to be curbed to zero. I mean the skill system is hosed anyway and one of the worst parts of the game because it doesn't even translate into NG+ and the limited number of slots you can use makes you not care about level ups past level 30 something but those nerfs make an even bigger part of the skill trees useless.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Savy Saracen salad posted:

"I told you to not interrupt me when I'm talking". Wooden spoon.

As cool as the scene itself was, that was the moment the scales tipped towards "gently caress that guy". No regrets.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Alchemy build with Ursine armor still kicks rear end, it's just the bombs that suck. They need to make those scale somehow.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Alchemy build with Ursine armor still kicks rear end, it's just the bombs that suck. They need to make those scale somehow.

They are mostly terrible. I like using them because it gives something else to do in combat.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Northern Wind and Dancing Star at least have decent side effects, if you're not sign specced.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I use Grapeshot to make shield dudes drop their shields, but that's about it...

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Spite posted:

Can you talk to Yennefer or Triss about O'Dimm? My save is at a point where I can't really do so.

I like the DLC a lot, it's really good and I love all the myth and folklore references. But part of me can't get over the villain. A Stephen King style Devil figure in The Witcher setting - it feels like it doesn't quite fit. As much as I like the idea of Geralt interacting with Randall Flagg.

This is a world where genies can go down the street and hang out with werewolves and cyclops'.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Spite posted:

Don't know about Yen, but you can ask Triss if she can remove the mark he gives you, she takes one look and asks very worriedly what the hell you've gotten yourself into this time.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Just as a heads up, the game creates tons of automatic checkpoint saves, so if you don't like the ending you got you can just load 1 or 2 saves back and get the other one. Just beat the DLC main quest last night - at first we let Olgierd die and got the "bad" ending, but that didn't seem right, so we reloaded and did O'Dimm's riddle quest.

Anyways, what a great DLC, especially for $10. It felt very different tonally from the main game... in the main game, you see lots of supernatural creatures and deal with powerful men, but none of them really feel more powerful than Geralt. You freely make enemies of literal kings because, eh, you can just kill them if things get bad enough. But in the DLC, you're literally doing quests for the Devil, and he has complete power over you, and you know that if he ever got on your bad side you'd just be absolutely boned.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've been enjoying Hearts of Stone. It's nice to be challenged by the combat again, even if some fights (wraiths) are still stupid and awful.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I started in on this again last night after a hiatus and I've only just made it through the elf mage cave looking for Ciri, headed for Crookback Bog now. Are there any things I should know regarding builds/starting out on BBB? I've just been putting my meager points into fast attack and Quen/Igni talents thus far.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Spite posted:

I never read any King, but the depiction of the devil as a dealmaker who gives you what you want... for a hidden cost, probably predates Christianity, much less Steven King.

EDIT: That said, there are direct references to King here. But also to Goethe.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I never read any King, but the depiction of the devil as a dealmaker who gives you what you want... for a hidden cost, probably predates Christianity, much less Steven King.

mmmmm no pretty sure he came up with it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

CVagts posted:

Olgeird was a monster, a tragic monster for sure, but still a monster. However Gaunter GENERATES monsters and would continue to do so, so by my/Geralts job description and my/Geralts personality i had no choice but to cut off the source. It really wasn't any different from bombing a nekker nest. I was a little bit disappointed really cause i was hoping the ULTIMATE CHOICE OF THE DLC to be a bit more grey and difficult, but it was very satisfying in any case.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Lufiron posted:

I know it sucks because it feels like you're being punished for being on the ball and proactive, but wait a wave or two before killing the big one.

This worked, thanks so much!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

But Not Tonight posted:

I started in on this again last night after a hiatus and I've only just made it through the elf mage cave looking for Ciri, headed for Crookback Bog now. Are there any things I should know regarding builds/starting out on BBB? I've just been putting my meager points into fast attack and Quen/Igni talents thus far.

Not really, the game will be mildly tough until level 15 or so at which point it tips into super easy no matter what your build is, unless you are intentionally making it bad.

Find place of power to get more skill points, but don't worry too much about getting them all since you're still limited by slots anyway.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yeah I wrote that poorly - I don't mean to say King invented that portrayal by any means at all. But there are several direct-hit-you-over-the-head references to King's devil character (or a bunch of crazy co-incidences). And he's really like Gaunt/O'Dim/Flagg/whatever in manner though that doesn't mean much because like you said it's a really old character.
And it's awesome work you guys are doing so I hope I don't come across as super critical or anything.

Goethe is the obvious one though it reminded me of this legend/folktale: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Twardowski
Which is Polish so I'm guessing it's referring to it as well?

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Spite posted:

Yeah I wrote that poorly - I don't mean to say King invented that portrayal by any means at all. But there are several direct-hit-you-over-the-head references to King's devil character (or a bunch of crazy co-incidences). And he's really like Gaunt/O'Dim/Flagg/whatever in manner though that doesn't mean much because like you said it's a really old character.
And it's awesome work you guys are doing so I hope I don't come across as super critical or anything.

Goethe is the obvious one though it reminded me of this legend/folktale: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Twardowski
Which is Polish so I'm guessing it's referring to it as well?

Yeah that's definitely the folktale that the story is based on since they both have a similar twist at the end.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Spite posted:

Yeah I wrote that poorly - I don't mean to say King invented that portrayal by any means at all. But there are several direct-hit-you-over-the-head references to King's devil character (or a bunch of crazy co-incidences).

For sure, I probably just don't notice them as much, I had no idea "O'Dim" was from King until I looked up Randal Flagg.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One thing I did like was that when you do beat him, his reaction is to slow clap and smirk because hey, it's a fair cop you found a workaround in the wording just like he himself always does, can't be mad at you for that! :golfclap:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I like the references to Polish movies that nobody outside of Poland will get. Like the guy who said he named his sword "Traditiana". There's a cult Polish movie where somebody uses this quote to name his daughter as he didn't understand what the word meant which was a sour joke about tradition losing meaning in the modern world.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 19, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So is Poland the most cynical nation in Europe or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Alright. I'm waiting for the ps4 to patch the game to 1.10, is there anything I need to know games wise going in? Don't put points here, make sure to get x, you will suck until you learn to y, etc.?