Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
I finally got a copy of the new Dresden RPG book The Paranet Papers. It's from Billy, Karrin, and Waldo's perspectives after Changes but before Ghost Story. Despite that, it sill has a lot to add about how magic really works and at least a little on how Harry is unique. I haven't read the whole book yet but let me drop my biggest revelation so far on you.

Harry is uniquely hard on tech. All wizards have that quality, but for no understood reason Harry has it at an unusually strong level. Three members of the council in close proximity don't match his inadvertent effect on technology.

"Review of the casefiles shows that, among
wizards, Harry seems especially prone to the
hexing effect, even compared to wizards who
are far older and far more experienced. Several
members of the Senior Council interact with
technology that they shouldn’t, if we use Harry’s
standard as a rubric. Despite being centuries
old, Ebenezar McCoy drives a 1931 Model A
Ford truck, and rode on a motorboat to reach
Demonreach with Listens to Wind and Ancient
Mai without encountering any problems."

Dr. MonkeyThunder fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I finally got a copy of the new Dresden RPG book The Paranet Papers. It's from a perspective in between Changes and Ghost Story, but still has a lot to add about how magic really works and at least a little on how Harry is unique. I haven't read the whole book yet but let me drop my biggest revelation so far on you.

Harry is uniquely hard on tech. All wizards have that quality, but for no understood reason Harry has it at an unusually strong level. Three members of the council in close proximity don't match his inadvertent effect on technology.

Isn't this something that Harry specifically acknowledges and comments on at least once in the books?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Slanderer posted:

Isn't this something that Harry specifically acknowledges and comments on at least once in the books?

Yeah he has specifically said If there is a wizard harder on technology than me, I haven't met him

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm guessing it's because Harry has an enormous amount of power under his belt (don't they say at one point that he has like senior council grade firepower and just doesn't know how to use it well yet?) and little control over it. Dude's probably constantly just unknowingly emitting magic and frying technology with it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

He's basically Naruto :japan: Undisciplined and sloppy, but with a near inexhaustible power source (likely gained by being tied to a darker power at birth) that allows him to outlast and overwhelm his opponents.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Magres posted:

I'm guessing it's because Harry has an enormous amount of power under his belt (don't they say at one point that he has like senior council grade firepower and just doesn't know how to use it well yet?) and little control over it. Dude's probably constantly just unknowingly emitting magic and frying technology with it.

This makes the most sense. It has indeed been mentioned a few times that Harry is at or just below members of the Senior Council in terms of raw power. We also know that wizards have a greater effect on tech the more power they happen to be dumping. Those two things, together with Dresden's lack of experience and self-control, probably make him hell on machines compared to any other wizard alive.

Klungar posted:

He's basically Naruto :japan: Undisciplined and sloppy, but with a near inexhaustible power source (likely gained by being tied to a darker power at birth) that allows him to outlast and overwhelm his opponents.

I dunno about power gained at birth. He's got the silly Star-Child thing that he and Elaine have going, but I don't think that's directly linked to the level of magical muscle he's got. It's more that he just has some natural talent he has been honing it since he was in short pants. From Dumorne, to Leanansidhe and McCoy his entire childhood was spent in the none to gentle instruction of some of the most powerful practitioners the world had to offer. After that, he was thrown into a nearly endless series of fights, battles, and contests will that have continued to the current day. He's less like a chosen one, and more like a prize fighter who was born with a talent and started training early. He's good at it because that's what he's spent his whole life doing.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 20, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I always thought the star-child crap was just that he's uniquely able to gently caress up Outsiders because ~plot~

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's all the plot has revealed it to be, yeah. There's never been any indication that it contributed to Dresden's raw aptitude. Hell, Elaine supposedly has the same gift and while she's no slouch, she can't come close to throwing punches on the scale Dresden can. The only non-Senior Council folks we've seen who can match him in the gloves off fight-wizarding department are Cowl, Morgan, and probably Luccio before she lost her first body.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Everything you see Luccio do is very tightly controlled; I always got the impression that Dresden was stronger but Luccio was better.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Maybe, probably, though we never got to see everything she could do in her old body before it got capped. If we're talking not just combat wizardry, but raw "how much can you bench" magical muscle I'm not sure we've seen anyone other than McCoy, the Merlin and Cowl who can arguably outdo Dearden. Dude is wicked strong, but that only counts for so much in practical terms. Plenty of the people Dresden's killed were stronger than him at the time he bumped up against them, and it didn't do them much good in the end.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dresden is like top twenty in term of raw power.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Dresden is like top twenty in term of raw power.
I thought it was "...in his generation".

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mars4523 posted:

I thought it was "...in his generation".

Michael Jordan was better than LeBron is. :colbert:

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

One of the references to it around midseries is him thinking he's 'in the top thirty or forty wizards alive in terms of magical horsepower' and probably the strongest wizard in his generation, top five at worst. Not all of those wizards would be Wardens though.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I think it is mentioned at one point that harry will be one of the top 2-3 wizards in the world in terms of power once he fully matures.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I finished The Rhesus Chart and it was good by the end. But a lot of it felt pretty perfunctory. I feel like Stross spent too much time on the pseudo-prologue (more like pro-slog, amirite?) and shifted gears too drastically after that. Not as good as The Fuller Memorandum or The Apocalypse Codex, but not bad or anything; just not as good as I feel it could or should have been. :shrug:

I suppose there's The Annihilation Score next, but I would like to have the paperback, which I don't believe is out yet.

In the meantime, I have a Neil Gaiman short story collection to read. So that will hopefully be fun.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 20, 2015

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the meantime, I have a Neil Gaiman short story collection to read. So that will hopefully be fun.

Which one?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fragile Things.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Khizan posted:

Everything you see Luccio do is very tightly controlled; I always got the impression that Dresden was stronger but Luccio was better.

Yeah, Butcher points out multiple times that Luccio is able to make much better use of the power she has by flinging around super thin death rays instead of huge dumb columns of fire. I think there are other mentions throughout the series of how sloppy and inefficient Harry's spells are, because he is strong enough to just throw raw power at a problem, even if most of it is wasted.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Exactly. Harry's so strong that he's never had to learn proper technique, because he's always been able to just brute force the problem. It's one of the reasons he was such a lovely teacher for Molly.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I don't think it's a case of him never having to learn proper technique and more just never really had the opportunity. He's just been fortunate enough to have the kind of muscle needed to get by without doing so. Especially since he's expressed some desire to do so via creating his various focusing trinkets.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
There's also that Harry is like, in his late 30s at this point? All of the wizards we're contrasting him with are centuries old. It's like comparing a fresh hire to the dude who's been working at your company for 35 years and going "jeez this kid is useless and knows nothing"

But yeah Harry's control still isn't good, even after accounting for his relative youth compared to most wizards. He's gotten better though!

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 20, 2015

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fragile Things.

It will be. I listen to the audiobook from time to time and it's always fun :3:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Vicissitude posted:

It will be. I listen to the audiobook from time to time and it's always fun :3:

Neil is a pretty good narrator, no doubt.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Slanderer posted:

Yeah, Butcher points out multiple times that Luccio is able to make much better use of the power she has by flinging around super thin death rays instead of huge dumb columns of fire. I think there are other mentions throughout the series of how sloppy and inefficient Harry's spells are, because he is strong enough to just throw raw power at a problem, even if most of it is wasted.

Harry himself points it out in one of the earlier books, that he just shoves enough power into a spell to make it work.

There is another part where he says he is terrible at evocation but very skilled at thaumaturgy which explains why he can make great foci like little chicago and the bear belt we never saw again.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Skippy McPants posted:

I dunno about power gained at birth. He's got the silly Star-Child thing that he and Elaine have going, but I don't think that's directly linked to the level of magical muscle he's got. It's more that he just has some natural talent he has been honing it since he was in short pants. From Dumorne, to Leanansidhe and McCoy his entire childhood was spent in the none to gentle instruction of some of the most powerful practitioners the world had to offer. After that, he was thrown into a nearly endless series of fights, battles, and contests will that have continued to the current day. He's less like a chosen one, and more like a prize fighter who was born with a talent and started training early. He's good at it because that's what he's spent his whole life doing.

I thought there was still some unresolved piece of backstory about Mag LaFey unexpectedly leaving Raith and picking out some (seemingly) normal dude to have a kid with for what people speculate are ~-~-reasons-~-~?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Not all the holes in that part of the backstory are filled in, but the big benefit to being a "star-child" is that Dresden's magic is much more effective against outsiders than that of other wizards.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
If you're born when the stars are right Cthulhu is your god brother, it's not complicated guys.

Caterwaul
May 4, 2009
Didn't Harry eat some of the Nightmare's power in Grave Peril? Have not read it in ages.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the Nightmare ate his power and he ate it back. I'm not sure if he got some extra?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Yeah, he ate the Nightmare all up, restoring his power and granting him the Nightmare's powers. However the extra power gets burned up in the escape with Susan and Justine. Seemed to be a one time deal.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It was sort of a mini Darkhallow. Call up powerful spirit(s), eat them.

It's come up several times in the series, even if it wasn't directly named as such.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Skippy McPants posted:

Not all the holes in that part of the backstory are filled in, but the big benefit to being a "star-child" is that Dresden's magic is much more effective against outsiders than that of other wizards.

Source on this?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Pretty sure the repercussions of eating the Nightmare are the bits of "Darkness" that Grevaine and a few others reference before Bob tries to kill him.

Oh hey. That will be the choice that goes different for Mirror Mirror Harry; he stopped eating the Nightmare when he got back what was his. The twist will be that Mirror Mirror Harry is a better person than the Harry we have been reading about and he manages to just all around be better at everything because he reconciles with the Council, gets proper training and everything.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My guess on the mirror, mirror decision is the decision to use Michael's sword for bad reasons near the start of book 3.

Without that the vampire war doesn't happen in anything like the same way, the world is better off, but Harry doesn't learn the lessons he has learned and falls into evil in a more serious way later (say, taking the coin).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I don't think the choice is going to be anything like "Harry actively chooses to do wrong/right" because Harry already knows that he could be a monster if he chose to be one. "I decided to be evil and holy poo poo I'm a villain" or "I didn't do something that was wrong and I ended up better for it!" aren't exactly the kinds of things that will have a big effect on Harry, because those are things that Harry already knows.

I think the change is going to be something of smaller scale and I think it will be something fairly innocent and innocuous that had consequences that no reasonable person could ever have predicted, because I think that's more likely to give Harry troubles by making him take a closer look at just how close he's come to the dark side without ever realizing it.

Personally, I think that he'll decide to invite Susan to the ball instead of Michael. As an official guest, Susan will have guest rights, so she won't be kidnapped and Harry won't start the war. This means that the Red Court will get to fully prepare before they kick off the war and the White Council will be in a much worse position when it does go down. I think that Mirror Harry turns to the dark side when that puts him into a situation where he has to resort to black magic to save himself or, more likely, to save Susan.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
My friends and I have talked about Mirror, Mirror Harry and I think the choice he's going to make will be not telling (Book 3 spoilers) Susan, "I love you". Susan eats Justine, Thomas and Harry are never pals, things spiral from there.

E: I replaced spoiler with quote because I'm suuuper dumb.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Source on this?

Lash tells Harry at the very end of the battle in the Deeps in White Night.

http://dresdenfiles.wikia.com/wiki/Starborn

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I loved that exchange to.

Harry Dresden posted:

Man that is interesting, I thought. Not at all relevant, but very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Oroborus posted:

Harry himself points it out in one of the earlier books, that he just shoves enough power into a spell to make it work.

There is another part where he says he is terrible at evocation but very skilled at thaumaturgy which explains why he can make great foci like little chicago and the bear belt we never saw again.

He's terrible at controlling his evocation, which is why he builds things like his staff and blasting rod. His training with Mab, teaching Molly (which is really the best way to improve your knowledge of a subject) and just more experience have really given him a lot more control though. Even his little "hair dryer" spell he uses is really the same wind spell he always used, just more tightly controlled so Molly would have had the power to use it. When he goes all out with that to battle some LIttle Folk after getting the winter mantle he can do a lot of damage with it, plus run it for a lot longer than his usual "Ventas Servitas" spell.

Several times members of the Council and even Bob have remarked that his control is terrible when he's younger, but like any other wizard he's going to get a lot better with time. It's just surviving long enough to get to that point that's the problem.