Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cnut the Great posted:

Wait, we're back to claiming the cast and crew didn't actually care about what they were making? I thought we'd all at least moved on to "They obviously cared, but it still sucked."

Fresh blood brings back old problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Imagined posted:

:filez: the 'Despecialized' editions, or wait for Disney to re-release the theatrical cuts. All commercially available theatrical releases are lovely untouched transfers of the Laserdisc release.

Well that sucks. So I guess if I'm going to buy a set, it doesn't really matter which one?

At this point, I guess I would just want whichever one is packed with the most special features.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
C3PO won't die, it is a character Disney can keep alive for decades easily once Frank Oz dies.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There's something about this recut/remix of the main Force Theme that just screams epic.

It's already an epic motif but the way its tempo is slowed down and the instruments used is just perfection.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Doronin posted:

Well that sucks. So I guess if I'm going to buy a set, it doesn't really matter which one?

At this point, I guess I would just want whichever one is packed with the most special features.

OTOH, the 'Despecialized' ones are really nice, and there are really nice custom box-art out there if you want to burn them and put them in a case.

Also in the realm of the unofficial, have you guys watched the trilogy of unofficial Jamie Benning documentaries on the making of the OT? Star Wars Begins, Building Empire, Returning to Jedi? Really good, and all on Vimeo now.

Thwomp posted:

There's something about this recut/remix of the main Force Theme that just screams epic.

It's already an epic motif but the way its tempo is slowed down and the instruments used is just perfection.

It's hard for me to hear it without thinking "I dooon't know what I'm supposed to loooook at I just want to plaaay with my frieeend naaaamed Biggs."

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

drunkill posted:

C3PO won't die, it is a character Disney can keep alive for decades easily once Frank Oz dies.

Um...what? Oz was Yoda.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Noam Chomsky posted:

Yeah, before the prequels and a lot of EU bullshit, everyone had a connection to the force. Jedi had an especially strong connection that was only made stronger through training. However, the idea that ones connection to the force could wax and wane, and grow over time. Hell, "The Force" is based on Buddhism and Christianity and other religions I'm sure; the whole concept is based on faith and your faith being rewarded with power. It wasn't all medichlorian counts and other academized bullshit; this is one of the worst things about the prequels.

A big part of modern religion is the view that spirituality doesn't have to be mutually incompatible or hostile to science. That's all midi-chlorians are. They're a metaphor for symbiotic relationships, and a mediating link between the material world and the spiritual world. They literally don't explain anything about the Force, except that it has to do with life, and that you have to work together with other forms of life in order to access it. That's it. I don't know why people find this so offensive to (what I can only assume are) their religious sensibilities.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Thwomp posted:

The reorchestration of some of the classic themes is on loving point in this trailer. Seems like, on first listen, that John really brought his A game and isn't just recycling, which I never thought was a possibility because he seems to love working on the star war

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Imagined posted:

:filez: the 'Despecialized' editions, or wait for Disney to re-release the theatrical cuts. All commercially available theatrical releases are lovely untouched transfers of the Laserdisc release.

There's also a surprisingly high quality HD rip of the pre SE films running around that supposedly aired on UK television years ago. I'm not sure of their true origin, but they are much better than the laserdisc. I think someone color corrected everything. Not the Despecialized Edition though.

But again, files. :smith:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Ehud posted:

They're saying Daisy Ridley looks like Hugo Weaving

?!???!??!?!??!?

?!?!??!?!!?!?!!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cat Machine posted:

She does kinda look like Hugo but who gives a gently caress because it's awesome to see a woman protag being raw as hell and loving poo poo up

Actually, it leads to the Dark Side, and much suffering.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Samovar posted:

?!???!??!?!??!?

?!?!??!?!!?!?!!

It's the teeth.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Madurai posted:

It's the teeth.

She's got a little bit of a square jaw and she's making the Agent Smith mad face, but you have to be looking for it to see it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

A big part of modern religion is the view that spirituality doesn't have to be mutually incompatible or hostile to science. That's all midi-chlorians are. They're a metaphor for symbiotic relationships, and a mediating link between the material world and the spiritual world. They literally don't explain anything about the Force, except that it has to do with life, and that you have to work together with other forms of life in order to access it. That's it. I don't know why people find this so offensive to (what I can only assume are) their religious sensibilities.

Because it explains something that no one wanted explained. Because it implies that there's nothing special about a Jedi except they happen to have a high midi-chlorian count. Because Yoda already gave all the explanation of the Force that was necessary. "Life creates it. Makes it grow." Because it implies that no matter what you do, if you don't have a high midi-chlorian count, you could never be a Jedi, etc. It also contradicts what Obi-Wan said about the force (yet again making him a liar) in ANH: "It's an energy field created by all living things." All living things.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 20, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
High-M, Low-T jedi Master here.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jedi were already space wizards that only certain people could join, so I don't see what the big deal is. Midichlorians are still dumb though. Even as a kid I saw that it was dumb.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Imagined posted:

Because it implies that there's nothing special about a Jedi except they happen to have a high midi-chlorian count.

Jedi aren't special.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

sassassin posted:

Jedi aren't special.

In fact you might even say that the message of the prequels was that the Jedi...kinda sucked!

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Imagined posted:

Because it explains something that no one wanted explained. Because it implies that there's nothing special about a Jedi except they happen to have a high midi-chlorian count. Because Yoda already gave all the explanation of the Force that was necessary. "Life creates it. Makes it grow."

Okay, so what was special about a Jedi before? That they had faith in the Force? Of course that's part of the story, but that can't be the whole story. Or are you expecting Han Solo to display a bunch of Jedi powers in TFA now that he's a believer?

Like I said, midi-chlorians don't actually explain anything except for the fact that midi-chlorians are things that exist. We already knew that Force sensitivity is hereditary. Luke says as much in ROTJ. They're just a metaphor for symbiosis. That's their main function.

Imagined posted:

It also contradicts what Obi-Wan said about the force (yet again making him a liar) in ANH: "It's an energy field created by all living things." All living things.

All living things have midi-chlorians. That's stated explicitly.

Not all living things get to have instant magic space wizard powers. Frankly, that was kind of something that had to be explained. Otherwise why isn't everyone a Jedi? It took Luke a day of training to learn the basics, and in a couple years he managed to figure out telekinesis on his own. Why is Luke so special? Why does the Emperor want him so badly? Because he met a dude who told him the Force exists? Seems like a pretty low barrier to entry. Why doesn't the Emperor just find some other dude and tell him about the Force if it's that simple?

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 20, 2015

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I think the twin imagery is getting a bit on the nose here:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Raxivace posted:

In fact you might even say that the message of the prequels was that the Jedi...kinda sucked!

Would you say from your point of view the Jedi are evil?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Raxivace posted:

This was the message of all the Star Wars films, and most of the cartoons, despite being framed as explicitly pro-Republic propaganda.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Codependent Poster posted:

Would you say from your point of view the Jedi are evil?

They're pretty cool with slavery existing, so maybe?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

G-III posted:

I think the twin imagery is getting a bit on the nose here:

it's like poetry

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

MrBigglesworth posted:

Um...what? Oz was Yoda.

Right. 2am here, that is my excuse. Anthony Daniels, Frank Oz? same person.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

Like I said, midi-chlorians don't actually explain anything except for the fact that midi-chlorians are things that exist. We already knew that Force sensitivity is hereditary. Luke says as much in ROTJ. They're just a metaphor for symbiosis. That's their main function.

If they don't actually explain anything, as you say, then they're even more unnecessary. One of the rules of good storytelling and especially good film-making is that you don't introduce any element unless it's necessary. Introducing midi-chlorians to not explain the Force just adds more questions and gives no answers, nor does it advance the plot any further than if Qui-Gon had just said "The Force is unusually strong with him."

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Viller posted:

Thats the old jew bluff they are pulling with the marketing. A skywalker has to end up with that lightsaber. Most likely Rey.

edit: concept art http://imgur.com/Jm2LZKD

That must be Snoke with the red saber, it looks like Adam Driver crouching behind him.

I get this feeling like Kylo Ren is going to switch sides by the end of this film or sometime in the next one and we'll see his redemption as it progresses rather than in the last act of the trilogy. A kind of Jamie Lannister sort of situation where you start out hating his guts and he makes kind of a face turn and becomes more sympathetic, but still flawed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I feel like I saw that exact Falcon hyperspace shot in Star Trek.

Looks good. Love that Finn looks like he shouldn't be holding that lightsaber. He even backs up a little.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Basebf555 posted:

She's got a little bit of a square jaw and she's making the Agent Smith mad face, but you have to be looking for it to see it.

I wasn't looking for it. It just popped out at me. It's definitely the square jaw and teeth/mouth shape (they have that sort of flat bottom lip and top down turned upper lip when baring their teeth)... they both have that kind of flat face when they're showing their aggressive look.

I think she's very pretty so it's not like I'm saying she's ugly. She just looks like Agent Smith right there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Imagined posted:

If they don't actually explain anything, as you say, then they're even more unnecessary. One of the rules of good storytelling and especially good film-making is that you don't introduce any element unless it's necessary. Introducing midi-chlorians to not explain the Force just adds more questions and gives no answers, nor does it advance the plot any further than if Qui-Gon had just said "The Force is unusually strong with him."

Instead of just arbitrarily deciding that it is unnecessary and therefore bad storytelling because you don't like it, perhaps you should try thinking about what that scene tells us about Qui Gon and the Jedi of the period? Why would he would test for scientific backup to a feeling instead of trusting in the force?

Your rewrite of the scene describes a very different film.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

sassassin posted:

Yeah. A good one. :downsrim:

Imagined fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 20, 2015

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Imagined posted:

Yeah. A good one.

:iceburn:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Not the best pic of smith's grimace that I could find, but hey.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I think it's a plus. She has a good nutter face.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

sassassin posted:

Instead of just arbitrarily deciding that it is unnecessary and therefore bad storytelling because you don't like it, perhaps you should try thinking about what that scene tells us about Qui Gon and the Jedi of the period? Why would he would test for scientific backup to a feeling instead of trusting in the force?

I feel like there's some other notable scene in Star Wars involving the force and computers, can't quite put my finger on it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Not the best pic of smith's grimace that I could find, but hey.

Okay I finally see the resemblance now. At first I thought you guys just haven't taken your medication yet today.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also I can't stop seeing this, so I don't know what's going on with my brain. Maybe I'm having a stroke.

(it's better in motion)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

BonoMan posted:

Also I can't stop seeing this, so I don't know what's going on with my brain. Maybe I'm having a stroke.

(it's better in motion)

velociraptors confirmed

(ssi-ruuk.png)

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Astro Nut posted:

The best part of this is that the dude has had to keep absolutely quiet on the film from his family, so unless they also particularly followed the various minors updates and teasers, this might well be the first time his family have seen him with the lightsaber.

So the reaction makes perfect sense.

I can't imagine having to keep quiet about something like this for over a year.

I really hope it runs with the fandom metacommentary that's been speculated about, since you can see it in the trailer. "Who are you?" is just as much about J.J. Abrams as the characters and actors, and "I'm no one" is accurate (at least right now, the calm before the storm of the movie release / events in the movie). Finn has been raised to be a Stormtrooper but has nothing to fight for, like all of us who grew up loving Star Wars but were left disappointed and empty after the prequel trilogy. Ren plans to "finish what you started", Abrams staring at the ruined wreckage of Lucas' Vader (Lucas's "throw the Emperor down the shaft" moment was when he sold Star Wars to Disney, accepting that things had gone too far under him, and his only hope of redemption was to give in and let go). Abrams' plan is to finish the nine-act saga that Star Wars was at one point meant to be, and he will be merciless about exploiting sentimentality, killing off characters, and otherwise doing whatever it takes to make the story good. Then Rey and Han talk about the stories of how things used to be, the power of the original trilogy, Han assuring us that Star Wars was once good. At the end, the voiceover assures us that this is the real deal, and all we have to do is accept that Star Wars Is Back.

My body is ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I really hope it runs with the fandom metacommentary that's been speculated about, since you can see it in the trailer. "Who are you?" is just as much about J.J. Abrams as the characters and actors, and "I'm no one" is accurate (at least right now, the calm before the storm of the movie release / events in the movie). Finn has been raised to be a Stormtrooper but has nothing to fight for, like all of us who grew up loving Star Wars but were left disappointed and empty after the prequel trilogy. Ren plans to "finish what you started", Abrams staring at the ruined wreckage of Lucas' Vader (Lucas's "throw the Emperor down the shaft" moment was when he sold Star Wars to Disney, accepting that things had gone too far under him, and his only hope of redemption was to give in and let go). Abrams' plan is to finish the nine-act saga that Star Wars was at one point meant to be, and he will be merciless about exploiting sentimentality, killing off characters, and otherwise doing whatever it takes to make the story good. Then Rey and Han talk about the stories of how things used to be, the power of the original trilogy, Han assuring us that Star Wars was once good. At the end, the voiceover assures us that this is the real deal, and all we have to do is accept that Star Wars Is Back.

My body is ready.

How religious.

• Locked thread