Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I think the prevailing rumor right now is that this "Anti-White Star Wars" story is a /pol/ thing and it is being mostly engineered a fake outrage story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

:negative: Why won't gamergate loving die.

Because clickbait writers and the easily trolled on Twitter won't shut the gently caress up about it.

It's a bunch of immature boys having a tantrum about sharing their toys with girls and deserves absolutely zero attention.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's a bunch of immature boys having a tantrum about sharing their toys with girls and deserves absolutely zero attention.

Seriously. The timeline Rationalwiki made for Gamergate is both hilarious and sad in how its just a giant tantrum that turned into a cluster of tantrums and misogynist spite.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

robotsinmyhead posted:

I think the prevailing rumor right now is that this "Anti-White Star Wars" story is a /pol/ thing and it is being mostly engineered a fake outrage story.

Racists and people claiming to be racist as a joke are not significantly different

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Man Kills Himself Because Star Wars’ Main Character is Black

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

CommieGIR posted:

Because the Gamergators have become the face of the millenial generation's Reactionary Right. The whiny young men who make up that demo are basically proto-freepers. Some of the trappings may be different than those of their predecessors, but at the core they are motivated by the same stupid feelings.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Racists and people claiming to be racist as a joke are not significantly different

Particularly when the latter are, in fact, racist.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Cause Nerds are the loving worst

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

How are u posted:

Because the Gamergators have become the face of the millenial generation's Reactionary Right. The whiny young men who make up that demo are basically proto-freepers. Some of the trappings may be different than those of their predecessors, but at the core they are motivated by the same stupid feelings.

We can look forward to "enjoying" their views for the rest of our lives. The Republican presidential candidate in 30 years time is probably right now being fired up in enthusiasm for conservative politics by GamerGate and Internet Libertarianism. I can see the future....

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Its source is newswatch33 another one of those lovely onion imitation sites where they publish bullshit for clicks.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Good.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Mel Mudkiper posted:

True, but the onlooker sees this story without realizing it's cooked up and goes on to complain ad nauseam on Facebook about KIDS THESE DAYS PC TAKEOVER RACE HUSTLERS and now I have to hear about. None of this is good! All of these are bad things!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

robotsinmyhead posted:

True, but the onlooker sees this story without realizing it's cooked up and goes on to complain ad nauseam on Facebook about KIDS THESE DAYS PC TAKEOVER RACE HUSTLERS and now I have to hear about. None of this is good! All of these are bad things!

I dont really get your point

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Agreed.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I dont really get your point

A dumb joke about idiots and my fatigue at seeing fake outrage stories propped up on actual news sites.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Crowsbeak posted:

Its source is newswatch33 another one of those lovely onion imitation sites where they publish bullshit for clicks.

Oh, welp.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

robotsinmyhead posted:

A dumb joke about idiots and my fatigue at seeing fake outrage stories propped up on actual news sites.

But what is meaningfully different between reporting on a bunch of nerds being racist and a bunch of nerds being ironically racist

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

robotsinmyhead posted:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

But what is meaningfully different between reporting on a bunch of nerds being racist and a bunch of nerds being ironically racist

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

exactly, if your idea of humor is "manufactoring" a racist campaign you are already racist

I hate this idea that "trolling" is somehow less legitimately malevolent

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Also /pol/ is legitimately full of white nationalists so if it's a "troll" the way they're trolling is by saying exactly what they actually believe, but on twitter instead of a lovely imageboard

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Mel Mudkiper posted:

exactly, if your idea of humor is "manufactoring" a racist campaign you are already racist

I hate this idea that "trolling" is somehow less legitimately malevolent

I wasn't arguing against this point. I had another point, but it's long and annoying and difficult to properly write out and not worth the time either way.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bushiz posted:

Also /pol/ is legitimately full of white nationalists so if it's a "troll" the way they're trolling is by saying exactly what they actually believe, but on twitter instead of a lovely imageboard

It's one of those 'Are you trolling, or are you just really uncomfortable with your true feelings?'

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme
Ever since the first trailer came out, /pol/ and other places really were raging against a black character in Star Wars.

This particular "movement" is trolling in that the hashtag is designed to upset and cause outrage, rather than actually convince anyone (and really doesn't deserve to be "reported" on) , but the sentiment behind it is absolutely genuine.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Useful Distraction posted:

Ever since the first trailer came out, /pol/ and other places really were raging against a black character in Star Wars.

But enough about Lando Calrissian and Mace Windu.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Part of me hopes that JJ Abrams somehow knew what the political culture would be around the time of the movie release and decided to troll the hell out of it by making Lando Calrissian some sort of uber-Popular Space Obama ruler calling all shots for the republic and have the Imperial remnant be very pissed off about flying its flag being seen as bad form.

Who am I kidding? All of me wants that.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

robotsinmyhead posted:

I wasn't arguing against this point. I had another point, but it's long and annoying and difficult to properly write out and not worth the time either way.

Something like this?

e: vvv I absolutely agree.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 20, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Wales Grey posted:

Something like this?

Saying something deeply offensive and then watching people react to it as deeply offensive is not exactly master level manipulation.

The fact of the matter is that this idea the solution to this kind of behavior is to ignore it is wrong. This kind of behavior spread and gained traction entirely because there was never a conscious and deliberate rejection of it.

Saw what you want about clickbait SJW yadda yadda but its been quite apparent that the rigorous pushback against this kind of behavior has had more a meaningful impact on marginalizing it than ignoring it ever did.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BiggerBoat posted:

But enough about Lando Calrissian and Mace Windu.

Seriously, where were these people when Lando destroyed the second Death Star?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

CommieGIR posted:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Am on several blocklists for having opinions.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

beat me to it

but seriously this is the face of Gamergate

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Do you think they'll actually try anything? I mean, they're dumb as poo poo and already fringe, but do they really believe that they can start a campaign of harassment against a Prime Minister and not suffer repercussions?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

If this was made in Canada & was about Trudeau, could he sue?

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

"The truth never triumphs, its opponents just die out." --Max Planck

Keeshhound posted:

Do you think they'll actually try anything? I mean, they're dumb as poo poo and already fringe, but do they really believe that they can start a campaign of harassment against a Prime Minister and not suffer repercussions?

Yes, because 13 year olds very rarely consider the repercussions of their tantrums.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nonsense posted:

Am on several blocklists for having opinions.

One of the more fascinating questions of gamergate, etc. is how much of it is adult and socially aware people and how much is literal children too naive and ignorant of the world to even understand what they are doing.

Like, imagine a network of thousands of fifteen year old white boys creating an interpretation of reality entirely dependent on a weird conglomeration of 15 year old white boy brains. At what point does it become more a force of malignance than conscious malice?

Do you think this 15 year old kid from Idaho has any idea of the affect his behavior has on others, especially when he can completely socially isolate himself with like-minded people?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

CommieGIR posted:

Because that which was never alive cannot die. :cthulhu:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pope Guilty posted:

He keeps veering back and forth between rhapsodizing about how great it is when your boss tells you how to live and sneering at liberals who think the government should exist, and the article veers between infuriating and baffling.

E: A rebuttal.

the article aside, not all company towns were terrible. they certainly had the potential to be, depending on how much the company wanted to intervene in citizen's private lives or maintain paternalistic control over the unwashed, but there were many company towns that were just underwritten by the company because the job site was so far out in the middle of nowhere that the company had to operate a store, mess hall, church, school etc. just to keep workers from leaving. absenteeism and turnover in many smaller company towns was absurd and the companies often had to float amenities just to prevent highly mobile workers from packing up and looking for a better job. and you also have examples like Ford, who pointedly avoided company towns but still placed moral codes and surveillance on his workers regardless

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bourneville's alright these days, the only overt moralising that I'm aware of back in the day was that there were no pubs, cause the Cadburys were Quakers. Then again everything I know about it I learned from Cadbury World so.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the article aside, not all company towns were terrible. they certainly had the potential to be, depending on how much the company wanted to intervene in citizen's private lives or maintain paternalistic control over the unwashed, but there were many company towns that were just underwritten by the company because the job site was so far out in the middle of nowhere that the company had to operate a store, mess hall, church, school etc. just to keep workers from leaving. absenteeism and turnover in many smaller company towns was absurd and the companies often had to float amenities just to prevent highly mobile workers from packing up and looking for a better job. and you also have examples like Ford, who pointedly avoided company towns but still placed moral codes and surveillance on his workers regardless

Company towns are fine as long as workers retain mobility and are paid in actual money. The moment they get exploitative with respect to rent/food/etc. that becomes an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Ford gave up on company towns after failing EPICALLY at them in Brazil, where he tried to build his own little rubber-making fiefdom. I'm between classes so I can't do an effortpost, but google 'Fordlandia' if you want to know more.