Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CuwiKhons posted:

Yeah, if you can't handle eye trauma, that ship sailed out with General Pollux.

Good point. I'd forgotten about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Just finished this. This was an amazing final episode in so many ways. I'll post more detailed thoughts once other people have played it, but I really think this was Telltales best work. This series was just a delight to play through and only Walking Dead Season 1 can even compare to how much I enjoyed this series and I think I enjoyed this series more on an episode by episode basis. I hope the team behind this continue to make more projects (be it a borderlands season 2 or some other IP) and they don't get split up and dispersed into the myriad of grimdark projects Telltale produces.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

:siren: EPISODE 5 IS AVAILABLE TO DOWNLOAD :siren:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Just finished it, fantastic finale. Full of good humour and a cool boss fight.

I'd be interested to hear everyone's Vault team selection. Who was the mystery vault hunter? I didn't have enough money.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Waffleman_ posted:

:siren: EPISODE 5 IS AVAILABLE TO DOWNLOAD :siren:

*Except on PSN

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

AirRaid posted:

I'd be interested to hear everyone's Vault team selection. Who was the mystery vault hunter? I didn't have enough money.

Only the most brutally efficient, cold, and deadly of them all just kidding it was claptrap

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Now that is how you end a season. 6/5, 12/10, loved it. It just felt so content-rich and lots of great payoffs on character bits and dialogue. If you want to make a choice-driven game, you could do worse than keeping a tight focus on an entertaining cast and your interactions with them.

Gortys's friendship Voltron, oh my god yes.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

New menu music.

Is beautiful.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Paladin posted:

Only the most brutally efficient, cold, and deadly of them all just kidding it was claptrap

Y'know, I wasn't going to read spoilers for this episode but I just knew it was going to be Claptrap. We had nearly gone a full season without seeing the bastard.

Also aaaaargh the game thinks I made the opposite decision to what I picked at the ending of Episode 4. I don't really want to replay Episode 4/possibly further back to fix this.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dolash posted:

Now that is how you end a season. 6/5, 12/10, loved it. It just felt so content-rich and lots of great payoffs on character bits and dialogue. If you want to make a choice-driven game, you could do worse than keeping a tight focus on an entertaining cast and your interactions with them.

Gortys's friendship Voltron, oh my god yes.

Yeah basically. This is easily Telltale's best work and one of my favorite games this year.

AirRaid posted:

For me it was Zero, Athena, and Mechanic Girl. I wasn't going to leave Athena out of the big fight and it only seemed right to bring along the girlfriend who was worried about her. And Zer0 because why wouldn't I? He's just so cool!

Comrade Kirov
Sep 12, 2012

Telltale brought it home so much with this episode. When they announced this game I was skeptical to the max. I did not pick it up until it was on a sale by episode 2.

I have to admit I was wrong, this to me is better then Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. It's on par for me with the Sam & Max series. I'm really happy I got to play this.

Also the end boss fight is the single most fantastic thing ever done, even though I was basically just mashing buttons since reading button context seemed to go too slowly for me.

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

For me it was Zero, Athena, and Mechanic Girl. I wasn't going to leave Athena out of the big fight and it only seemed right to bring along the girlfriend who was worried about her. And Zer0 because why wouldn't I? He's just so cool!

I would have had Zer0 but I must have missed the flag in episode one to have him available. Cassius did bring loving fireballs though which was great.

This easily surpasses TWD S1 as the best thing Telltale have done for me.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

This game was massively fun.

I was so close to getting mad while Sasha was "dying", I felt it was kinda cheap. Luckily they decided to go another, better way.

AirRaid posted:

I took Athena, Springs (c'mon, can't take one without the other) and Cassius. Cassius made Gortys do a hadouken :allears:

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
:siren: Out now on PSN :siren:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If Felix is alive and you pick him as an option you get 9 million dollars, so it's the easy way to get the secret option

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

korrandark posted:

:siren: Out now on PSN :siren:

It's there, but it's listed as "Unavailable for Purchase.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Great finale.

I'd been pretty frugal so I was really mad when I didn't get the secret option. He and Felix were the only two that were unavailable to me. In the end I went with August, Zer0, and Athena.

Jesus loving christ, the Voltron scene. I'm really gonna miss this series.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

THEY PUT KRIEG IN AT THE END BUT I DONT HAVE ENOUGHH MONEY TO BUY HIM HOW MUCH loving MONEY DO I NEED AM I GOING TO HAVE TO PLAY THIS WHOLE loving THING OVER AGAIN GOD loving DAMNIT

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I was ready for dissapointment, when after all that part collecting Gortys had to be destroyed and we couldn't even see the scary monster. That felt like a major letdown. But they certainly pulled it of in the end.
This is a great series, I can recommend.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There were so many payoffs, which is kind of amazing since of all their choice-driven games you'd think the slapstick space adventure would be the one where that'd matter least, but if anything I think that freed them up to have a lot more fun with the concept. Felix revealing his double-bluff was great and I'm really glad I didn't kill him. Loaderbot being the mysterious stranger was such a perfect fit I'm shocked I didn't think of it. I knew the little bandit was Vaughn as soon as I saw how short and buff he was, and I'm glad Yvette can also survive - she was caught up in the same cutthroat corporate culture as everyone else, she did what she had to.

In particular the ending for Jack was good. One of the ways Jack's actually pretty effective is that he's got a canny eye for narrative and can use it against you. He had a really good point when he pointed out how many people Rhys had killed by crashing Helios just to be rid of Jack, and like whenever Jack's making sense it was just a setup for another attempted double-cross. Rhys's whole arc of growing past him was excellent, as was the scene in the ruined throne room. Jack didn't really need to be there for the climax, it was good to shed him rather than let him dominate the whole game and hopefully that's the last we see of him.

One thing I'm curious about, the game started out with a lot more opportunities to be an rear end in a top hat to people. I can see cases where that would have payoffs/consequences (which Vault Hunters are available, for example) but for the most part the game seems to be built around the "good ending" of everyone coming together and saving the day. Maybe I'm missing something and if you were pro-Jack you could have Rhys push Fiona off the platform right at the end before you get the treasure but otherwise I think the game's character arc kind of expects you to play along. That's fine by me, I had a great time doing it and enjoyed all the little decisions made along the way, it's a good way to build up investment.

One last thing, I'm glad they had an exchange right at the end where you take turns picking dialogue for Rhys and Fiona, back and forth. Just something I wanted to see with the concept ever since they started the whole "two protagonists" thing.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 20, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
This might be the best adventure game ending I've ever seen. A lot of them either build up to something a bit disappointing, but this never did. Great game all the way through.

EDIT: My final team was Springs, Zer0 and Felix. Felix gives you 9 million but can't join you, so I hired the vault hunter instead. #1.

EDIT2: Is it possible for Sasha to die? I never opened the box, but I'm wondering if you could open the box in the previous chapter when prompted, or throw the thing away thinking it was junk.

EDIT3: The game also tells you that you're going on the wall of shame if you interrupt the final credits. Amazing.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 20, 2015

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
good video game imo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

VAUGHN :allears:

FELIX :unsmith:

GORTYS :black101:

MYSTERY VAULT HUNTER :stonk:

This whole series has been fantastic, all the way through.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

yo that ending ruled

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Kerrrrrrr posted:

THEY PUT KRIEG IN AT THE END BUT I DONT HAVE ENOUGHH MONEY TO BUY HIM HOW MUCH loving MONEY DO I NEED AM I GOING TO HAVE TO PLAY THIS WHOLE loving THING OVER AGAIN GOD loving DAMNIT

IT'S NOT KREIG, IT'S CLAPTRAP. RUN FAR AWAY, FAST!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

They need to hand over all Borderlands story development over to this team, they clearly know what they're doing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bumfluff posted:

I would have had Zer0 but I must have missed the flag in episode one to have him available. Cassius did bring loving fireballs though which was great.

This easily surpasses TWD S1 as the best thing Telltale have done for me.

The flag was actually in episode 3. He here's from Mordecai that Fiona identified herself as a vault hunter and was curious what you guys were up to.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 21, 2015

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

So what actually happened at the end there when Rhys and Fiona disappeared? I haven't really played any of the borderlands games so do people just vanish when they open chests or what?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Frankston posted:

So what actually happened at the end there when Rhys and Fiona disappeared? I haven't really played any of the borderlands games so do people just vanish when they open chests or what?

No, that never happens, but it was the Vault of the Traveler so apparently they've been sent traveling.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

My crew for the endgame was Athena, Janey, and August, because I apparently made all the wrong choices to get anyone else. Felix was dead, I never told Zer0 I was a Vault Hunter, and I had all of two grand on me.

It was fun watching Athena and Janey bicker about wedding costs, though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

is it possible to not have anybody to choose from? it is, right?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So uh is there a save bug or is the game just loving with me? the game thinks I chose to side with Handsome Jack even though I didn't

-Edit Apparently, I'm not the only one having this problem.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 21, 2015

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

is it possible to not have anybody to choose from? it is, right?

I get the feeling from a casual glance around the Internet that it's difficult to utterly fail at that point. It seems like it'll default to August, Athena, and Janey.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wanderer posted:

I get the feeling from a casual glance around the Internet that it's difficult to utterly fail at that point. It seems like it'll default to August, Athena, and Janey.

They all look like they have conditions you need to meet first, though. Has anyone told Vallory that everything was August's fault, not told Janey that Athena loves her, and not deployed Scooter's satellite?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

10/10 5/5 A+ GOTY.

I fuckin' hooted and hollered at both Loader Bot and the fuckin' Sentai setup. My team was Athena, Springs, and Zer0.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
My team was Cassius, Springs, and Felix. Since Felix was out, I picked mystery vault hunter in his place. Big mistake, wish I could have seen Zer0 in action. What was his special move?

Also Cassius was amazing, haha.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I'm pretty upset that couldn't get Zer0 in my suicide team it seems like such a small insignificant flag to miss now I have to go all the way back to get him.

Funniest scene in the episode for me was Athena getting a legit job as a fry cook for Grease Face.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Huh.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm way happier with how this ended than Life Is Strange.

Now for the inevitable disappointment that will be the Game of Thrones Finale.

Seriously...out of all 3 "episodic games" this year, if you'd asked me at the start which one I had the most faith in, it would have been Game of Thrones.

Borderlands is the best thing Telltale has done, maybe even better than Walking Dead. I mean that. :colbert:

Fake Edit: My team was Zer0, Athena, August Seemed like a good team. I had one "unknown" option at the end...I wonder who that was. My choices also included Janey and Felix.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Doodles posted:

IT'S NOT KREIG, IT'S CLAPTRAP. RUN FAR AWAY, FAST!

IS THIS ACTUALLY TRUE BECAUSE IF IT IS THEN I WON'T HAVE TO REPLAY THE WHOLE GAME AGAIN AND IT WOULD SAVE ME QUITE A BIT OF TIME

BUT I WOULD STILL BE REALLY REALLY DISAPPOINTED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Really Pants posted:

They all look like they have conditions you need to meet first, though. Has anyone told Vallory that everything was August's fault, not told Janey that Athena loves her, and not deployed Scooter's satellite?

I told Vallory that everything was August's fault and I was still able to pick him. She just chides him and nothing else really changes during that scene.

• Locked thread