Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

They're so mad they forgot how to English! :downs:

This was shared on Facebook this morning this morning, too. Little late for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Entropic posted:

I'm seeing that crap on facebook, entirely from guys who moved to Alberta for tar sands jobs.
It's always the born agains who are the most insufferable. See PT6A, and the american expat on my facebook who is currently bitching out nameless SJWs for ruining the moment with their negativity and criticisms

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

jm20 posted:

Facebook CPC crazies :aaaaa: They have branched off the conversation into a new thread void of differing opinions so they can press like on each others strawman to their hearts content :allears:

quote:

Canadian media bias makes Fox News look balanced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspaper_endorsements_in_the_Canadian_federal_election,_2015

:laffo:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Tipps posted:

I look forward to weed hipsters and craft weed festivals and weed gardens. :allears:

unironically this

you think I would mind paying for some top-quality, carefully grown White Widow to smoke in complete impunity?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

FB posted:

People keep saying the Liberals ran a great campaign. The reality is that till about a month ago the NDP was ahead of them. The media made the difference. They scared the crap out of people about Harper, the NDP "faithful" ran helter skelter to the Liberals by the millions and a lot of centrists who voted for Harper got scared off or were convinced that if they voted for him again they were Nazis or racists. That was all that was needed for Trudeau. He was more surprised than anyone else that he won. And of course there is his last name. Funny, for a culture which says that we are beyond the days of kings and queens praises our new leader because of who his daddy was.

There is no :qq: large enough for this

I posted the endorsement Gif's from pg 239 or so.

quote:

As Mr. Coyne reminded us earlier this week, official endorsements are not the be all and end all of opinion that is disseminated through media outlets. Also, your chart omits the biggest media outlet in this country, the CBC.

jm20 posted:

Who did the CBC endorse? I don't recall them ever endorsing a party

No response, time for a new thread for more hug box cpc tears :qq:

Risky Bisquick has issued a correction as of 22:57 on Oct 20, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Most of those all sound like pretty good reasons to vote for him, so I don't get his point.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Trudeau tells Obama he's pulling Canadian fighter jets back from Iraq and Syria:
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/656585825132650497

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
ezra levant deleted his tweet bragging about having two thousand concurrent viewers of his election coverage stream

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Trudeau says he's naming his cabinet on Nov 4, also that it will have equal gender balance.
Also Bill Blair's name is being thrown around as a candidate for defence minister :negative:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

jm20 posted:

FB posted:

People keep saying the Liberals ran a great campaign. The reality is that till about a month ago the NDP was ahead of them. The media made the difference. They scared the crap out of people about Harper, the NDP "faithful" ran helter skelter to the Liberals by the millions and a lot of centrists who voted for Harper got scared off or were convinced that if they voted for him again they were Nazis or racists. That was all that was needed for Trudeau. He was more surprised than anyone else that he won. And of course there is his last name. Funny, for a culture which says that we are beyond the days of kings and queens praises our new leader because of who his daddy was.
There is no :qq: large enough for this

How can you be beyond kings and queens when Elizabeth is still the Queen of Canada?

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bunnyofdoom posted:

Guys as much as I wanna make non stop :smug: posts I can't. Yes this is an incredible victory and the culmination of three years of my life. I would have liked to see more ndp seats sure, and Skippy lose. But most of it was amazing.

Frankly despite our disagreements on policies and parties for the most part you have been incredibly civil to me, even when I didn't deserve it. Let me extend you the same courtesy. I probably will be taking a sabatical from the thread until either cabinet is announced or the speech from the throne.

Keep fighting the good fight. No matter what party you belong to, if you had any engagement whatsoever in the election I thank and salute you. You made Canada a much better place in your own way. Even you hal_2005.

this is the only person to toxx successfully for PM

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Ralp posted:

this is the only person to toxx successfully for PM

daaaaamn a whole lotta bans coming up then?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

jm20 posted:

Facebook CPC crazies :aaaaa: They have branched off the conversation into a new thread void of differing opinions so they can press like on each others strawman to their hearts content :allears:

Alberta conservatives who lose their minds when I call Harper a racist dictator are my new favorite toy, and I don't care how bad the hubris will smell tomorrow.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I mean they are probably right in that the media will loving jizz their pants for Trudeau. How could they not when he actually deigns to take their questions after 10 years of Harper? The conservatives brought this on themselves, antagonizing the press and then demanding why the press so antagonistic.

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 23:08 on Oct 20, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Alberta conservatives who lose their minds when I call Harper a racist dictator are my new favorite toy, and I don't care how bad the hubris will smell tomorrow.

HDS: Hairdo Derangement Syndrome

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

colonel_korn posted:

Trudeau says he's naming his cabinet on Nov 4, also that it will have equal gender balance.
Also Bill Blair's name is being thrown around as a candidate for defence minister :negative:

Either the VA or the defense minister has to be the thuggiest shitlord in cabinet. It's tradition. Apparently.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

The defense minister has to be the thuggiest shitlord in cabinet. It's tradition. Apparently.

MacKay was beta AF though

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

THC posted:

MacKay was beta AF though

A good point. Met him and he said thank you like it was a question.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Excelzior posted:

daaaaamn a whole lotta bans coming up then?

keep your pants on

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

is weed legal yet?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Helsing posted:

There's this interesting book from about a decade back called "Rescuing Canada's Right" where two conservative operatives outlined a game plan for taking over the country and pushing it in a conservative direction. It's worth reading in terms of how it outlines conservative perspectives and it's surprisingly blunt in it's assessment of what needs to be done (one of the few occasions where I've seen a conservative acknowledge the existence of the Powell memorandum, never mind saying it should be a roadmap for going forward).

But one of the funniest parts of the book is when the authors have to spend multiple pages explaining to conservatives why they have to stop talking openly about how much they hate Canada and Canadians. In fact pre-2006 you can find numerous examples (including from Harper himself) in which Conservatives openly bemoan how much they hate Canada and Canadians.

Get ready to start hearing prominent conservatives writing columns that read like a Cultural Imperial post. It's gonna be awesome.

Can I get a synapses? I've seen books like Blue Shift and Harperland on the shelves, but I haven't been able to piece together what the Tories want and how they've gone about chasing that for the past 10 years.

How do they hate Canada and Canadians?

e: The bitching and moaning at work today was incredible. All the salty career NCOs were predicting another decade of darkness, when military spending is the lowest its ever been and the Tories gutted Veteran's Affairs. :canada:

The Tories positioning themselves as the champions of the military was pretty brilliant, since so far all they've done for me is change what my rank is called. They also made pretty much every officer in the military get their uniforms changed at the tailor shop for the Navy's curls, Army's pips, and RCAF new silver insignia. That tradition stuff is pretty rich since I remember Harper saying turbans would destroy the military or some such thing.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Oct 20, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The Duggler posted:

is weed legal yet?

I hope he waits on that a little bit, just to push it through on April 20th.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by8DOUtFkgM

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

We're a bunch of coddled babies who live under the shield of American power and we don't understand How The Real World Works.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

ColdBlooded posted:

Goodale is a slam dunk. For Manitoba, Jim Carr, Maryann Mihychuk and Robert Falcon-Ouelette will probably get some consideration.

RFO going from losing the Winnipeg mayoral race to Cabinet Minister would be loving hilarious as Brian Bowman would still be stuck in one of the shittiest jobs in Canada.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Frosted Flake posted:

Can I get a synapses? I've seen books like Blue Shift and Harperland on the shelves, but I haven't been able to piece together what the Tories want and how they've gone about chasing that for the past 10 years.

muzzling scientists. defunding the ones who manage to speak out. hiding a procurement process worth billions on war planes we do not need and which cannot do the job we are buying them for. Being straight up racist in regard to the niquab issue as well as not even pretending to give a gently caress about disproportionately murdered aboriginal women.

and his daughter threw a party at his home where a few kids got alcohol poisoning and he made it all go away with his connections even though as a tough on drugs piece of poo poo somebody(the adult homeowner) should have received some sort of charge. Guess he just meant tough on crime for not his family.

bring back old gbs has issued a correction as of 23:23 on Oct 20, 2015

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Stephen Harper posted:

From a speech to the Council for National Policy, a conservative American lobby group, June 1997, as reported by the CBC

[Y]our country, and particularly your conservative movement, is a light and an inspiration to people in this country and across the world.

It may not be true, but it's legendary that if you're like all Americans, you know almost nothing except for your own country. Which makes you probably knowledgeable about one more country than most Canadians.

[S]ome basic facts about Canada that are relevant to my talk... Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.

In terms of the unemployed... don't feel particularly bad for many of these people. They don't feel bad about it themselves, as long as they're receiving generous social assistance and unemployment insurance.
This man was our prime minister for almost ten years.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

colonel_korn posted:

tories are just US republicans in disguise

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

colonel_korn posted:

That's terrifying. I always thought that the Conservatives were old-school Tories that wanted to maintain the status quo, I didn't think they wanted to fundamentally change the country.

How could you look at America and think "Hey, let's be more like that."?

Nostalgia for Britain and the Commonwealth, sure. I get it. They also have Universal Healthcare, social services, and promote multiculturalism.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

etalian posted:

tories are just US republicans in disguise

More like ill disguised republican-lite

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Frosted Flake posted:

e: The bitching and moaning at work today was incredible. All the salty career NCOs were predicting another decade of darkness, when military spending is the lowest its ever been and the Tories gutted Veteran's Affairs. :canada:

The Tories positioning themselves as the champions of the military was pretty brilliant, since so far all they've done for me is change what my rank is called. They also made pretty much every officer in the military get their uniforms changed at the tailor shop for the Navy's curls, Army's pips, and RCAF new silver insignia. That tradition stuff is pretty rich since I remember Harper saying turbans would destroy the military or some such thing.

I can make a more detailed post later if people are interested but the short version would be that many conservatives (and this is echoed in the book) that Canada is not a "real" country. Instead it's a "political abstraction" cobbled together through government spending and the creation of various collectivist (as opposed to individual) rights via the Charter and the courts.

Government spending and court enforced charter rights in turn creates a series of captive constituencies who are dependent on the Liberal party for the continuation of their special privileges. These special privileges are paid for by taxing hardworking regular folks who aren't politically mobilized or engaged enough to fight back. Or, if the conservative is being honest enough, they may simply say that Canadians are such rear end in a top hat losers that they would prefer government benefits to true and manly freedom and self reliance. Harper himself once explained Canada to a group of American conservatives by saying that "Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it."

Or, to quote Harper again:

Stephen Harper, circa 2000 posted:

[I]t was Mr. Trudeau himself who laced so many federal policies, including the Constitution itself, with the special claims of identity politics... Mr. Trudeaus goal was no doubt to genuinely promote a just society of individual equality. But only a liberal intellectual could believe the assignment of benefits and rights would not become an arbitrary,
politicized game.

This is basically just a Canadian version of the American conservative movement's critique of the New Deal and Great Society. Arguably its written right into the DNA of neoliberalism itself: a widespread sense that the expansion of the welfare state and the growing power of various identity politics movements had created a new kind of politician who got continually re-elected by promising every more generous benefits to "special interests" and paying for this with taxes and deficits.

It's part of why conservatives are so opposed, on principle, to expansions of the welfare state, even in the cases where it arguably would save tax payer money (i.e. simply giving homeless people houses would often cost less than refusing to help them until they show up in an emergency room). Because they think any expansion of government benefits can trigger an irreversible cycle of spending and deficits, backed up by a voting population too stupid to recognize that small government is the best government.

In America movement conservatism mostly formed as a reaction to Roosevelt (and it crystalized after the Democrats became the party of desegregation). In Canada much of the contemporary conservative movement comes directly out of opposition to Trudeau the Elder. They think the creation of a modern welfare state and the implementation of the charter were basically illegitimate moves intended to secure indefinite Liberal rule and to make sure that even when the Liberals are out of power their opponents aren't able to change the direction of the country. This makes them incredibly bitter and leads them to sometimes complain about how stupid Canadians must be.

Like I said, imagine Cultural Imperial's attitudes toward Canada but slightly less nihilistic and you've pretty much got a feel for how a lot of conservatives feel deep down. And like Cultural Imperial they're not so much factually wrong as they are unhinged sociopaths.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

THC posted:

"Other" its ford :ssh:

What poor Conservative staffer is going to have to fall on her sword and marry Jason Kenny?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

is everyone forgetting that Stevo said that we wouldn't recognize Canada when he was done with it :confused:

Also, all joking aside, what is Trudeau's plan for students? If he's taking away TFSAs then there goes next semester's tuition for me (yes I know he isn't taking the money IN them)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Good burn on CKNW: Trudeau is the ultimate millennial - he's moving back into his parent's house.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
"The two idiot system is here to stay!"

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Aces High posted:

is everyone forgetting that Stevo said that we wouldn't recognize Canada when he was done with it :confused:

Also, all joking aside, what is Trudeau's plan for students? If he's taking away TFSAs then there goes next semester's tuition for me (yes I know he isn't taking the money IN them)
AFAIK neither the Liberals nor NDP ever planned to get rid of TFSAs, they both just promised to roll back the annual contribution limit to $5,500 from $10,000.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

"Whether Canada ends up as one national government or two national governments or several national governments, or some other kind of arrangement is, quite frankly, secondary in my opinion," said Harper, who was at the time constitutional affairs critic for Reform. "What matters and should matter to politicians and people who believe in the kind of values that I believe the National Citizens' Coalition share and the Reform Party share is not whether the Canadian state prospers, but whether the Canadian people and the land we call Canada prosper."

Added Harper: "Whether Canada ends up with one national government or two governments or 10 governments, the Canadian people will require less government no matter what the constitutional status or arrangement of any future country may be."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

rawrr posted:

More like ill disguised republican-lite

This FDR speech could easily be applied to tories:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3RHnKYNvx8

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i wanna see trudeau jr hang out and chill with old man castro just to bring it around full circle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Helsing posted:

Canada is not a "real" country. Instead it's a "political abstraction"

Are you paraphrasing or is this what they actually believe? Because I don't understand how you can distinguish between a "real country" and a "political abstraction" without some arbitrary cutoff or an appeal to nationalism/racialism.

Or did I just answer my own question.

• Locked thread