Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Do it ironically posted:

sunshine is really lovely compared to louise or if you want to go a bit further kickinghorse, who even goes to sunshine ha

They put a heated high speed quad in an area with high winds and regular lift closures where no gorby who cares about heated ski lifts would ever travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

A good post

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

ZeeBoi posted:

Trudeau told Obama he's pulling out of bombing ISIS.

:getin:

We don't need to be involved into a proxy war anyways

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
The world would be a better place if international disputes were actually resolved by single combat, as the Putin worshippers inexplicably think.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Helsing posted:

There's a lot of stuff to agree with in this analysis (though its hilarious that in 2005 you would write that the Liberals had overseen a "ballooning state"), though obviously I don't agree with any of their proposed solutions.

As an interesting footnote, here is one of that book's two authors (Tasha Kheiriddin) writing in 2014. Read that passage from her book and then marvel at this column:

:qq: the only justifiably government benefits are my benefits :qq:

I find conservatives are very much fygm about social services until they are heavily impacted by a sudden life changing event, only for them to start to campaign for only their own issue, out of selfishness.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

THC posted:

On what fb page are you finding these treasures

Not fb, just the tastelessly named blog Small Dead Animals. The people on this site probably have never heard of facebook.

quote:

I am 47. I have yet to live under a government I voted for. How the f*** is voting exactly benefiting me?
My wife and I will cease further voting until the return of qualified franchise. The more tax you pay, the more votes you get.

quote:

Indeed, those without assets, or minimal assets, will still be effed with Trudope as Dear LeaDUH. The solution for the pups that voted Trudopian? Just print Mo Money!
And, advice to all here in regards to that. Keep your cash to a minimum, learn from the Greece debacle, those with large cash only assets had it confiscated by a totalitarian LEFTIST government.
Assets are your house, your classic car, gold and silver coins. Property, and as another said, that other precious metal, Pb. DO what you have to do, but get out of cash.
C-51 now looks REALLY dangerous, with a confiscatory leftist government, that demands co-operation, as Dear LeaDUH hinted at last night.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Lead is a precious metal? :confused:

e: oh duh i get it

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Freeze posted:

Perhaps these will satisfy your desire:

:holymoley:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I like the cadence of conservatives, I really hear them perfectly in my head. It sounds like Glenn Beck

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
"we believe that government should manage the people’s money the way that they manage their own."

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

And Canadian free riding on American hegemony continues.

lol as if 6 planes really makes a difference

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dreylad posted:

trudeau has made a powerful enemy this day

Ok now that I know this I have voters remorse. Trolling Harper and gamergate? :drat:

Anyways, as some other NDP voters said I'm optimistic about Trudeau. He made some big promises but with a majority he has no excuses not to implement them. The only fly in the ointment is that bastard Bill Blair.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

The Duggler posted:

I like the cadence of conservatives, I really hear them perfectly in my head. It sounds like Glenn Beck

Why do these idiots all write the same? Is there some disease that makes you write the word leaDUH and feel no remorse for the English language

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I hope Justin Trudeau diverts more money to Canadian tv productions so we can get more quality programming like TekWar

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Tom Brodbeck posted:

The good news for Liberal leader Justin Trudeau is he's inheriting a healthy set of books from the outgoing Conservative government. The bad news for him is there's not enough money in the kitty to make good on the tens of billions in new spending he's pledged to Canadians.

Trudeau promised Canadians the moon and the stars during this election campaign, including $17 billion in additional infrastructure spending over four years, a $22-billion-a-year Canada Child Benefit plan, $400 million annually for home care and $325 million in extra funding for veterans.
He pledged more money for Syrian refugees, First Nations communities, guns and police task forces and a community heroes fund.

He has promised to increase the CBC budget by $150 million a year, double annual arts funding by $180 million and spend $400 million more on environmental strategies.

There's more money for employment insurance, Old Age Security and immigration.
The list of spending promises goes on and on. And while some of it may be desirable, how Trudeau expects to pay for it all remains a mystery.

Trudeau has already admitted that a Liberal government will go into deficit to finance some of it. However, he has pledged to return to balance within four years, which seems unrealistic given the magnitude of the spending increases he's proposing.
Some of it will be paid for by taxing people who earn over $200,000 a year. The Liberals are planning to bring in a new 33% tax bracket for earnings over that amount. But that's only worth about $2.8 billion a year.
Income-splitting for families will be eliminated, Trudeau has proposed, which will also save money. As will cancelling child benefit cheques to families, including those who fall into the "millionaires" club. But those measures will be offset to some degree by the Liberals' pledge to cut the middle-income tax rate to 20.5% from 22% and reduce the small business tax to 9% from 11%.

All told the Liberals are planning to spend an extra $35.2 billion a year beginning in 2016-17 which they say will be offset by $24.7 million in new revenues from tax increases and the cancellation of some programs.
Which leaves an annual deficit of around $10 billion. The Liberals have used revised GDP projections to argue the deficit they plan to create will become a surplus by 2019-20.

And that's where their blueprint becomes unrealistic. For starters, there's no contingency in their plan to maintain Canada Health Transfers to the provinces at current levels. Reducing tax-free savings account limits to $5,500 will likely see a shift from TFSAs to RRSPs, reducing any planned savings. And much of the tax savings they claim they can find, like cracking down on tax cheaters and identifying "tax expenditures," including unspecified tax credits for high-income earners, is murky accounting at best.

Either Trudeau will have to put some water in his wine and roll back some of these spending commitments, or he'll have to go deeper into deficit and/or raise taxes.

He can't have it both ways.

The sad part about all this is after six years of deficits -- most of them posted at the urging of opposition parties -- the books are finally balanced. And the first thing Trudeau wants to do is go back into deficit when there's no reason in the world to do so.

Judging by the fuzzy math in the Liberal campaign plan, they could go deeper into the glue than they're letting on. I'm not sure this was the "real change" Canadians were looking for.

I hope it wasn't.

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Our strong conservative government totally posted deficits because the other guys told us to y'all

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Tighclops posted:

I hope Justin Trudeau diverts more money to Canadian tv productions so we can get more quality programming like TekWar

Sorry, but William Shatner is too busy narrating WWE productions right now to play with his old toys.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Ralp posted:

keep your pants on

well worth the wait
:gizz:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Why do these idiots all write the same? Is there some disease that makes you write the word leaDUH and feel no remorse for the English language

I think when you spend your day listening to AM radio it just grows on you

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

rawrr posted:

"we believe that government should manage the people’s money the way that they manage their own."

How big of a money clip would you need to hold billions of dollars?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
NDP really hosed up

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Slightly Toasted posted:

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Our strong conservative government totally posted deficits because the other guys told us to y'all

I like the weird conservative hardons for deficits bad surplus good. Most of the balanced budget talk is based around how they get angry over the government providing important services and infrastructure to the country.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
It was amusing to hear my co-workers bitch about the Liberal majority all day, complaining about how Justin Trudeau going to cause us all to lose our jobs, and that a person younger than they are couldn't possibly run a government. We work in the I.T. dept of a public college. I don't think we have much to fear from the Liberals, even if JT turns out to be the oil-hating madman they seem to think he is.

I wasn't surprised to see my riding voted 70% in favour of the conservatives, but I was surprised to see 3% of the votes went to the Green Party. Mainly because I don't even remember there even being a Green Party candidate on my ballot.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Mystic_Shadow posted:

A lot of conservatives from the US and Canada say they love their country and that you have to respect national institutions but then they turn around and worship Putin without the least bit of remorse.

The conservative cartoonist thread has been documenting this for some time now

Especially funny when you look at actual photos of Putin standing next to Obama or Kerry.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Conservative guy on my facebook shared this gem:

quote:

I know what you’re feeling. It’s like a bad break-up, and it’s going to take a few days to pass. Food tastes staler, the world looks greyer, there’s a horrible twisting feeling in the pit of your stomach. Believe me, I’ve been there—I’m there with you right now. It’s you I want to write this for: the stalwarts, volunteers and activists of the conservative movement. Those who poured your blood, sweat and tears into the last 78 days.

As young conservatives, Stephen Harper is all we’ve ever known. He’s been the flag-bearer of our movement for nearly two decades. Losing not just an election, but ‘Harper’ is deeply saddening and it makes us feel lost and rudderless to be without the leadership we’ve come to depend on.

There’s a temptation to lash out and blame others: the electorate, Liberals, communists, aliens, whatever. And that’s fine, it allows us to cope. But consider this: the lasting legacy of Stephen Harper for us partisans isn’t anything he did in office, it’s what he’s left us with as we face the future.

We leave government with nearly 100 seats, a floor that we can build on top of to form government again. When previous conservatives left government, we were reduced to rump caucuses—falling so low as to 2 seats in 1993. Not this time.

We leave government with millions of dollars in the bank and the greatest IT, voter contact, fundraising regime ever assembled. An operational edge that well-oiled, permanent and effective.

We leave government with a reliable path to victory that melds western populism with Ontario tory values and hard-working new Canadians. A stable coalition that will lead us back to Ottawa once we’re ready.

The greatest gift Harper left us is that we will win again. A strong, stable, national majority Conservative government isn’t historical anomaly—it’s a promise for the future.

So leave the campaign prognosis to the pundits and former chiefs of the National Post editorial board—they’re wrong anyway. We accomplished so much in so many years—we owe our detractors nothing. So be excited, be determined, be satisfied, we have all the pieces in front of us to seize what comes after.

The beauty of the game we play is that there’s always the next fight, the next election, the next leadership. Today isn’t simply the day after—it’s the day before tomorrow. To us the torch is passed, so let’s face it together.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Craig Scott, bless him, isn't happy one bit.

quote:

Dear Friends,

I won't write a full message now as I won't get it right so early after last night's electoral outcome. Perhaps I will write later with more structured thoughts. Or perhaps I will let these comments stand as a sincere reflection of my reflections the day after.

I want most of all to thank the residents of Toronto-Danforth for having provided me the privilege of being the MP for this truly amazing community, where caring for each other is both a general belief and a way of life. And I am so humbled by the support and hard work of hundreds of volunteers who so much believed in the (truly) real, positive change that Canada's first social democratic government could have ushered in. As I said in my speech last night for those of you who were there, you would never know it from how the media over these last 11 weeks alternated between leaders, (occasionally) candidates, voters, and pundits as the 'faces' of democratic participation, but in crucial respects you the volunteer -- whether within riding associations or generally as engaged citizens during elections -- are the lifeblood of our democracy. Thank you, all.

I also appreciate so much the outpouring of thank yous for my work as MP and the many expressions of dismay or even shock (not to mention anger at our broken electoral system) that have come my way. The best I have to offer right now besides the standard 'them's the lumps' is that we can at least celebrate that we are rid of a truly reprehensible regime (I do not say "government" because that sugar-coats what the Harper era had come to be all about). And we can take great pride in the role the NDP led by Tom Mulcair played in that result. The simple fact is that there is no way the Conservatives would not have won again -- probably with another majority -- if the NDP had not been the most effective, dedicated, and, yes, fierce Official Opposition in modern Canadian history for the last four years. Alongside myriad voices from civil society, I and my colleagues -- amazing MPs like Megan Leslie and Paul Dewar and Jack Harris and Jinny Sims and Matt Kellway who were treated like cannon fodder in the anti-Harper convulsion that was yesterday's election -- laid bare, day in and day out, what that Conservative government was all about. We fought them at every turn in battles such as against the Unfair Elections Act and Bill C-51, while -- and if this sounds bitter, I do not hide that it is -- Liberal MPs (not all but far too many) were fundamentally lazy, sitting passively in their corner of the House (assigning the same MP to do all almost all their speaking for the other 35 for four straight years) and arrogantly waiting for the messiah to take them back to the promised land of power (and they were proven 'right' in that calculation). To all my colleagues who like me were not returned last night, thank you for being part of such an amazing caucus for whom doing the right thing and doing one's job as part of an all-hands-on-deck team effort come naturally.

As we head into the 42nd Parliament, Canadians should, in keeping with the generosity of spirit that saw so many convince themselves to hope the Liberals can actually be a source of "real change", cross their fingers that our democracy has actually turned some sort of corner and that the same old Liberals in power will not be the same old Liberals in power. I am willing, grudgingly, to acknowledge that there is reason to be hopeful because the Liberal platform necessarily has elements that deserve to be seen as progressive or, at least, better than what would be on offer from the Conservatives. For all these elements, I sincerely hope the NDP in Parliament and citizens at large will do everything they can to make these platform pieces become reality rather than slip out of sight, through a mix of cooperation and vigorous prodding.

BUT, let me direct and blunt here: arising from the combination of odium for Stephen Harper and his gang and the distorted seat count in relation to the popular vote under our winner-take-all system, Canadians must also be aware of the result 'they' have produced. That is to say, 39.5% of us have handed a majority government (well over 50% of the seats) to a party that, alongside the Conservatives, brought us Bill C-51 and the Barbaric Cultural Practices Act (yes, the Liberals voted for BOTH), and a party that will try to bring us the transnational-corporate-rights charter known as the Trans Pacific Partnnership (TPP) with the support of their Conservative fellow travellers who are now the Official Opposition. The same two parties that agree that no greenhouse gas emissions targets (let alone mandatory ones under a pan-Canadian carbon pricing system) need to be set before Canada goes to the Paris Climate Change Conference in several weeks where the fate of a world on the ecological brink will be decided. The same two parties that are united in not wanting to see proportional representation as part of our electoral system. And to take a longer view of the de facto Liberal-Conservative Alliance, the same old parties that over the last decades collectively -- as if they were in a relay 'race' handing the baton back and forth to each other -- left a legacy of gutted transfers to the provinces for such crucial collective goods as affordable housing and gutted funding to Aboriginal communities for such basics as equal education for First Nations kids.

As I sit writing this at a picnic table overlooking Cherry Beach at the south end of this wonderful riding of Toronto-Danforth, serendipity has placed me right beside this image (below) of an empty watchtower looking out over the lake toward a blurred wall of Leslie Spit trees. With a decimated and reeling NDP with only 40+ seats in the House of Commons and with the Cons gazing across the aisle at the Libs as the Official Opposition, there is right now nobody in the watch tower of Canada's Parliament. The Family Compact is back. As such, it will be Canadians at large, engaged scholars, civil society organizations, and a media doing its job that will need to step up and help to fill this hole in democratic scrutiny. Positive change will be lost if you leave it to this House of Commons as generated by this election.

Be hopeful but also be vigilant, be engaged.

Bon courage.

Yours in solidarity and (obviously) frustrated frankness,

Craig

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Elections bans have happened

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't see this on here though someone may have posted it. Someone posted it on facebook. The comments below the video are all pretty positive.

Apparently Trudeau went to a subway station to shake people's hands and thank them this morning.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2288380/trudeau-shakes-hands-with-montrealers-at-subway-station-hours-after-winning-election/

It's a small thing but pretty cool. Guy has exceptional ground game, even in victory.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

I didn't see this on here though someone may have posted it. Someone posted it on facebook. The comments below the video are all pretty positive.

Apparently Trudeau went to a subway station to shake people's hands and thank them this morning.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2288380/trudeau-shakes-hands-with-montrealers-at-subway-station-hours-after-winning-election/

It's a small thing but pretty cool. Guy has exceptional ground game, even in victory.
I hope he gets rid of Harper's ridiculous motorcade and security detail. Driving around in an armoured limo like he's the president of a banana republic or something

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
guess there goes proportional representation to the backburner again

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Top City Homo posted:

guess there goes proportional representation to the backburner again

According to twitter, JT said last night's election will be Canada's last first past the post. I'll take him at his word, but brace for future disappointment.

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/656580542247366656

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Watch the Liberals set a precedent that every new government passes a law establishing whatever electoral system is most beneficial to them in particular, which gets used until they get defeated and whoever replaces them passes their own voting rules.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyelkin posted:

Watch the Liberals set a precedent that every new government passes a law establishing whatever electoral system is most beneficial to them in particular, which gets used until they get defeated and whoever replaces them passes their own voting rules.

gerrymandering finally goes 3D

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I suspect that they might think of that, and to avoid it put into law thst a referendum is necessary. This would probably require them to stage one for the initial reform if they want to stay consistent, but I guess nothing is stopping them from just doing it anyway; or from another party getting a subsequent majority and changing the referendum requirement.

Maybe the libs will try and amend the constitution?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Adenoid Dan posted:

The world would be a better place if international disputes were actually resolved by single combat, as the Putin worshippers inexplicably think.

Justin sighed as he drew his katana

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

According to twitter, JT said last night's election will be Canada's last first past the post. I'll take him at his word, but brace for future disappointment.

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/656580542247366656

:canada:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Saw some more calls on facebook for Alberta's separation. I miss those.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Saw some more calls on facebook for Alberta's separation. I miss those.

Prime Minister Notley has a nice ring to it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

NP: Canadians fed up with divisive niqab debate turn out to vote in masks and — in one case — a pumpkin.

So which one of you was this?

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

gently caress.

:canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Furnaceface posted:

This is a riding that is normally considered a safe one that needs minimal catering to. Sure Barrie south went deep blue but whatever Barrie south sucks.

I'd love to hear if all the stories of Patrick Brown banging interns and doing coke were true. I always heard the best rumours about that guy, if anyone has good stories please share.

He looks like a scumbag too.

• Locked thread