Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Ernie Muppari posted:

the fight outside the colony also has a layer of sad in that the whole thing is a diversion that seems to cost an awful lot of lives all around for how minor the thing they're covering for is

All the while Bernie is sitting next to a guy who they had set up to look like he had caught a piece of shrapnel to the face. It's kind of awful to think about how Zeon got that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I think it' funny how Elepo Ple is the standard "uguu so cute ^_^" Gundam character among fans that attracts all the pedos, but in the actual show she's a genuine psycho-bitch that opened fire with funnels while on an occupied playground in Axis, attempted to murder Leina in cold blood while Leina was suffering from an untreated gunshot wound, and is the type that would attack you with an axe she dug up in the garage if you didn't pay attention to her all the time. Judau's reasoning for letting her join the team feels like it's basically "Oh god, she's nuts. Better play along with her or else".

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

closeted republican posted:

I think it' funny how Elepo Ple is the standard "uguu so cute ^_^" Gundam character among fans that attracts all the pedos, but in the actual show she's a genuine psycho-bitch that opened fire with funnels while on an occupied playground in Axis, attempted to murder Leina in cold blood while Leina was suffering from an untreated gunshot wound, and is the type that would attack you with an axe she dug up in the garage if you didn't pay attention to her all the time. Judau's reasoning for letting her join the team feels like it's basically "Oh god, she's nuts. Better play along with her or else".

I don't know anyone who has that first reaction you described.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gundam ZZ actually predates the moe fad. I an terribly sorry, but not everything can be blamed on cute girls. Also please don't use the term "psycho-bitch"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Puru's just a child who was encouraged to be selfish and violent by virtue of having magic psychic powers. She's like ten years old and has spent at least a few years of her life being trained to kill people in a mobile suit instead of being raised to respect others and control her impulses like a normal kid. Judau tolerates her because he's used to being a big brother figure to hosed up children.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Gordon Waters is a moron

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
gordon waters is a Sophisticated Adult cartoon watcher who likely has quite the classy vhs and laserdisc library unlike boom boom boom and the rest of Today's Mixed-Up Teens

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Droyer posted:

Gundam ZZ actually predates the moe fad. I an terribly sorry, but not everything can be blamed on cute girls. Also please don't use the term "psycho-bitch"

Just because she predates the official concept of moe doesn't mean she doesn't qualify for all of the criteria. And people are extremely willing to forgive a character's often extremely negative traits based on whether or not they think they're cute regardless of the era.

In any case Neo Zeon were kind of crazy in pretty much every area.

Reds fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 21, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like Puru.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Puru puru puru~

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Reds posted:

Just because she predates the official concept of moe doesn't mean she doesn't qualify for all of the criteria. And people are extremely willing to forgive a character's often extremely negative traits based on whether or not they think they're cute regardless of the era.

Please do not post your essay on why moe is bad in the Gundam thread

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Droyer posted:

Puru was irritating and she happened to line up with the concept of moe. That's all there is to say on the matter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

I like Puru.

Ah, but which Puru?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

I like Puru.

I liked that one of the Evolve episodes gave a happy ending to one of the Purus. They've had real harsh lives.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

You can give justifications for why she was like that but isn't going to change the fact that I found her annoying. Hint: saying that I didn't like her doesn't mean I think she was a "bad" character in the sense of being poorly written.

Reds fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 21, 2015

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Ple is both a deliberate attempt at marketing to pedophiles as well as a massive in-joke at their expense. Fits with ZZ in general really, in that lots of toyetic and 80s cultural forces are driving it and that it's an absurd mess that is having a laugh at its audience most of the time. Even the "serious" aspects of the show are kind of silly in a melodramatic "Gundam" way.

TNG fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 21, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

TNG posted:

Ple is both a deliberate attempt at marketing to pedophiles as well as a massive in-joke at their expense. Fits with ZZ in general really.

:yikes:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Ah, but which Puru?

Hell, all of them

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

TNG posted:

Ple is both a deliberate attempt at marketing to pedophiles as well as a massive in-joke at their expense. Fits with ZZ in general really.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TNG posted:

Ple is both a deliberate attempt at marketing to pedophiles as well as a massive in-joke at their expense. Fits with ZZ in general really, in that lots of toyetic and 80s cultural forces are driving it and that it's an absurd mess that is having a laugh at its audience most of the time. Even the "serious" aspects of the show are kind of silly in a melodramatic "Gundam" way.

Please do not post about pedophiles in the Gundam thread

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

HOLY poo poo I SAW HIM AGAIN TODAY!!!

i was at a party dealing with some stiff feddie suits when JUDAU FUCKIN CAME BACK <3

he was mad at me for some reason so i pulled a gun on him to calm him down like i did with char when we were havin sex back then but it didnt work.

instead he yelled at me and said i was bad and stuff. i shot at him but he didnt like it. then all of the sudden glemy's pedo girlfriend appeared and stood in front of him

AND THEN I SHOT HER Q_Q

JUDAU GOT REALLY MAD AND

MADE

A

DEMON

APPEAR IN FRONT OF HIMSELF!!!!!

HE HAD ALL OF THE NEWTYPE ENERGY FLOWING THROUGH HIM AND HE MADE A GIANT PROJECTION OF HIMSELF AND IT SCARED ME SO MUCH THAT I RAN BACK TO MY ROOM AND CRIED ABOUT IT FOR A LONG TIME

I'M..I CAN'T. I CAN'T. I AM SUCH A TRASH BABY FOR BLOWING IT WITH HIM.

I WISH WE COuld fuse togehter for a day like steven universe and connie did so he could see what we would be like together

im sorry judau for being so gross

Tagged: gently caress MY LIFE, personal, sex, love, tw:newtypes
20,000 notes

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Thank you.

Also the best Puru is the Puru that totally survived Unicorn and I will adamantly refuse to see events as they allegedly happened in the last movie.:colbert:

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
ZZ's a funny show, since I am convinced Tomino was having a massive troll-y meltdown that he would only exceed in V Gundam. The title Gundam is this massive chuuni pile of guns and sharp angles, but even today does not quite work at 1/100th or 1/144th scale. And not a lot of the other designs with all their gimmicks do that either. You think the Federation is corrupt and bad? In this one they sell out to Neo Zeon and allow them to drop a colony on Dublin! Neo Zeon itself grows out of the far more restrained Axis remnant as an almost super robot evil empire type bad guy organization. The show literally ends with Judau screaming at how the adults ruin everything. It's like he's taking all the aspects he hates about the Franchise(tm) and all the other the things people expect out of it and moves them up to 11. You want more Gundam? I'll give you the loving Gundam-iest Gundam you've ever had! Honestly the serious parts are sillier to me than the episode where Bright has to catch a Chicken or Moon-Moon.

Ple is also bad and creepy and everything about her is terrible, including Marida Cruz who adds a whole buncha poo poo to the already massive poo poo pile.

TNG fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 21, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Droyer posted:

Please do not post about pedophiles in the Gundam thread

Well someone is going to post about Glemy Toto eventually, so...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Much as I rip on 8th Ms Team, it does have great fight choreography throughout. I like that beam sabers are not the immediate go-to weapon, but that most of the fighting is done with the 100mm autocannons and giant artillery snipers. It's a lot slower paced than other Gundam fights, but it has that tactical feel of tank warfare. But then you still get great melees like the Gouf Custom battle. And that GM Sniper is beautiful.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Srice posted:

I like Puru.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TNG posted:

ZZ's a funny show, since I am convinced Tomino was having a massive troll-y meltdown that he would only exceed in V Gundam. The title Gundam is this massive chuuni pile of guns and sharp angles, but even today does not quite work at 1/100th or 1/144th scale. And not a lot of the other designs with all their gimmicks do that either. You think the Federation is corrupt and bad? In this one they sell out to Neo Zeon and allow them to drop a colony on Dublin! Neo Zeon itself grows out of the far more restrained Axis remnant as an almost super robot evil empire type bad guy organization. The show literally ends with Judau screaming at how the adults ruin everything. It's like he's taking all the aspects he hates about the Franchise(tm) and all the other the things people expect out of it and moves them up to 11. You want more Gundam? I'll give you the loving Gundam-iest Gundam you've ever had! Honestly the serious parts are sillier to me than the episode where Bright has to catch a Chicken or Moon-Moon.

Ple is also bad and creepy and everything about her is terrible, including Marida Cruz who adds a whole buncha poo poo to the already massive poo poo pile.

Stupid Adults!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SymeWdSey-A

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Some brave soul needs to find the entire ZZ dub and post it online.

We all deserve to experience this glory in fullness. We all deserve this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Raxivace posted:

Some brave soul needs to find the entire ZZ dub and post it online.

We all deserve to experience this glory in fullness. We all deserve this.

:agreed:

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
THE DEAD, THE DEAD!

ZZ dub is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vdfIFZYJvw

gently caress you, Wong! Also, Torres macking on a honey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsRX94qHUfM

Astronage can ACT!

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I really wish the entire series dub wasnt lost to the sands of time. I want to complete it just to say I did.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Droyer posted:

Hideaki Anno posted his in The Origin vol.1:

quote:

I'm afraid the legacy of Gundam dwindled down to the mobile suits, in the form of plastic models as a business and military hobbyism. Even these mobile suits were summarized down to protagonist mecha, Gundam, so that friend and foe alike were all uniformly Gundams. One could say this was inevitable: the pivotal creation that made Gundam a classic and drives the franchise expansion to this day is, of course, the mobile suit, represented by the RX-78 Gundam, weapon bearing the elements of a character; and the way of the world is that characters are what ultimately remain with the audience.

In recent years, in the world of anime and manga too, the hollowing out of mainstream culture and putative rise of subculture severely diluted and eroded the standing of the Tale.

Audience have come to need a work only as an escape from reality, as an comfortable dream, judging everything on the criterion of moe, while creators' intellectual paucity and the jumble of trivial touches have encouraged that structure. At the same time, TV-type mass consumption, which prizes instant gratification and simplistic results, laid the impoverished grounds of contemporary Japanese entertainment, giving rise to masses that can only respond with praise for superficial details and technical proficiency; with tears, laughter, fear, or some other outpouring of simple emotions; or with identifying and particularism.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 21, 2015

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TNG posted:

I've watched ZZ through twice and I don't understand what you think makes Puru "creepy". The closest thing to "creepy" involving either Puru is that scene where Glemy is talking to a naked Puru 2, and even that scene isn't "Glemy the pedophile macking on the little girl clone", it's "Glemy literally doesn't consider the Purus to be human beings so he has no respect for their boundaries" since this is the same character who would fall all over himself blushing at Roux sparing him a look. Any weird pedophile readings of the character are strange to me.

Puru is a child who received no education or socialization on how to behave in human society and instead was taught to kill and destroy things with a mobile suit. To add on to this, she's a newtype who can constantly feel and respond to the emotions of everyone around her at all times and for her entire childhood was surrounded by people who think "Yep it sure would be cool to turn this kid into a weapon so we can gently caress those Feddie bastards over" or "Man it's gonna be sweet when Haman takes over the world" during her most malleable developmental stages. This means that she's selfish, sociopathic, and doesn't actually understand how to properly empathize with other people despite being a newtype. Judau is the first character she ever meets who attempts to treat her like a human being. I find her to be an OK different take on the cyber newtype girl trope because she's not just "woo I got cyber newtype implants now I get big headaches all the time and I'm loving crazy!!!!"

Marida's backstory, on the other hand, is pretty much just gratuitous nonsense to attempt to shock the reader.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm not convinced that ZZ was an attempt to "troll" anything, since it's quite in line with a lot of Tomino's comedies from that era.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also waving your hands around and shouting about Puru being creepy character for creepers isn't gonna make it true.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Did Beltorchika's Children and Hathaway's Flash ever get translated, even by fans?

Reposting this because I don't think anyone saw the question. I want to read about Bright sentencing his own kid to death.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darth Walrus posted:

Ah, but which Puru?

The one that died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kanos posted:

I've watched ZZ through twice and I don't understand what you think makes Puru "creepy". The closest thing to "creepy" involving either Puru is that scene where Glemy is talking to a naked Puru 2, and even that scene isn't "Glemy the pedophile macking on the little girl clone", it's "Glemy literally doesn't consider the Purus to be human beings so he has no respect for their boundaries" since this is the same character who would fall all over himself blushing at Roux sparing him a look. Any weird pedophile readings of the character are strange to me.

Puru is a child who received no education or socialization on how to behave in human society and instead was taught to kill and destroy things with a mobile suit. To add on to this, she's a newtype who can constantly feel and respond to the emotions of everyone around her at all times and for her entire childhood was surrounded by people who think "Yep it sure would be cool to turn this kid into a weapon so we can gently caress those Feddie bastards over" or "Man it's gonna be sweet when Haman takes over the world" during her most malleable developmental stages. This means that she's selfish, sociopathic, and doesn't actually understand how to properly empathize with other people despite being a newtype. Judau is the first character she ever meets who attempts to treat her like a human being. I find her to be an OK different take on the cyber newtype girl trope because she's not just "woo I got cyber newtype implants now I get big headaches all the time and I'm loving crazy!!!!"

Marida's backstory, on the other hand, is pretty much just gratuitous nonsense to attempt to shock the reader.

Your explanation doesn't excuse her behavior. When your intro to a character includes her firing willy-nilly inside a civilian area with a fancy newtype mobile suit, one of the conflicts in ZZ's wham episodes being Judau trying to talk her down from murdering a wounded Leina, and her character is basically "homicidal little sister from hell", it's kinda hard not to see her as pretty drat weird, insane, and creepy. "Neo Zeon abused her" doesn't justify "attempted to kill the MC's sister by choking her to death because Ple was jealous".