Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
You're certainly not wrong; but why would your boyfriend EVER tell his mother? First, they've never met. Second, her prognosis is great so it (hopefully) will end up being a non-issue someday. Why does his mother have the right to a stranger's confidential health information? Even if you guys were married and she was friendly with your mom, being offended that you weren't told about something that, for many people, is incredibly private is really stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tiggum posted:

The fact that so few people put their address or phone number on Facebook that no one ever thinks to look there, so I end up getting messages from people asking me for information they could have got from my profile page.

Maybe they're trying to be polite. I have Facebook friends whose numbers are on Facebook, but I don't think I would use their numbers unless it was directly established that I could. Maybe I'm the weirdo here.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

YeahTubaMike posted:

Maybe they're trying to be polite. I have Facebook friends whose numbers are on Facebook, but I don't think I would use their numbers unless it was directly established that I could. Maybe I'm the weirdo here.

I think it's so rare lately that the issue hardly ever comes up. Maybe back when facebook was more exclusive on who could join people including me would put personal contact info up and not care if friends at the same college used it, but I don't know of any of my friends that have up to date address/phone/email information on their page. I think if it is there it's always best to check just in case it's no longer valid/they forgot to take it down.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Maggie Fletcher posted:

You're certainly not wrong; but why would your boyfriend EVER tell his mother? First, they've never met. Second, her prognosis is great so it (hopefully) will end up being a non-issue someday. Why does his mother have the right to a stranger's confidential health information? Even if you guys were married and she was friendly with your mom, being offended that you weren't told about something that, for many people, is incredibly private is really stupid.

His family is open with each other in a way that's totally alien to me. That's fine, but his mom doesn't realize that that kind of openness doesn't apply to everyone. We've been together long enough that I'm now, like it or not, considered a part of the family as well. The fact that I'm generally a lot more stoic/guarded than they are has caused a lot of tension with his mom over the years. She's not a bad person by any means, but she's by no means my favorite person in the world either.

I guess overbearing Midwestern mothers are my pet peeve.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

His family is open with each other in a way that's totally alien to me. That's fine, but his mom doesn't realize that that kind of openness doesn't apply to everyone. We've been together long enough that I'm now, like it or not, considered a part of the family as well. The fact that I'm generally a lot more stoic/guarded than they are has caused a lot of tension with his mom over the years. She's not a bad person by any means, but she's by no means my favorite person in the world either.

I guess there's probably just a disconnect, then. I'm lucky in that my partner and I, and both our families, have similar levels of guardedness. If I ever mentioned something to my boyfriend's mom, if she wanted to ask me about it later (i.e., "hey, how's your mom doing?") she'd just ask me directly and not gossip about it. There are definitely some people on my list that I could see unnecessarily publicizing stuff (like when my stepmother got sick last year and my dad mentioned how she hated people knowing about it, I cringed when my sister sent out a facebook status asking for prayers), but I think if I directly asked someone to keep my stuff quiet, they'd pretty much honor that request.

All that said, I do hope your mom makes a full and speedy recovery. Best of luck to you all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't know which one of us is the weirdo, but I think of phone numbers as pretty much public information. Phone books exist, after all. And I can't think of any reason I'd have someone as a friend on Facebook but be bothered if they phoned me.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

YeahTubaMike posted:

I think it's a little of this and a little of people being paranoid about sharing info. Usually with FB friends, I already have their number and talked to them before I decided to friend them on FB anyhow. But I'm similar in that my phone isn't listed there, because it's my personal cell and even though I set my preferences so only certain people see my stuff, I choose not to put it there. Had a couple times were someone gave out my number to a person I didn't know (or intentionally avoided contact with) and getting random calls or texts like that is pretty annoying.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
This may seem odd but a significant pet peeve I have is discrimination against those of us who have mid-range hearing loss caused by heavy equipment, rock and roll music, and/or small arms fire.

We all have the same experience. We say "what?" a lot and have trouble when there is a lot of background noise. Everything sounds like gibberish unless the speaker turns their head to us and speaks clearly. Yet we are mocked for not listening. I can hear up to 17K and down to drat near infra-sound level but I just can't loving hear you talk! I've got a huge dip at speaking level. I'm sorry! I just can't hear you! I didn't wear hearing protection as a kid and hosed myself up. Stop treating me like I'm stupid.

Turn your head, speak clearly, and don't speak without an intro. I spoke to a co-worker who's boyfriend has mid-range hearing loss and she admitted that her boyfriend complains about the same things but still didn't care and complained about it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

mostlygray posted:

We all have the same experience. We say "what?" a lot and have trouble when there is a lot of background noise. Everything sounds like gibberish unless the speaker turns their head to us and speaks clearly. Yet we are mocked for not listening. I can hear up to 17K and down to drat near infra-sound level but I just can't loving hear you talk! I've got a huge dip at speaking level. I'm sorry! I just can't hear you! I didn't wear hearing protection as a kid and hosed myself up. Stop treating me like I'm stupid.

People bitch at me all the time about "not talking clearly" and I usually just give up the third or fourth time I'm forced to slowly repeat what I say because it gets on my nerves. :( my tongue just refuses to work right anymore because of all the times it's been nearly bitten through. So instead of trying to listen people just mock me for sounding like I have a faint lisp or slur and tell me to talk clearer.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

mostlygray posted:

This may seem odd but a significant pet peeve I have is discrimination against those of us who have mid-range hearing loss caused by heavy equipment, rock and roll music, and/or small arms fire.

Turn your head, speak clearly, and don't speak without an intro. I spoke to a co-worker who's boyfriend has mid-range hearing loss and she admitted that her boyfriend complains about the same things but still didn't care and complained about it.

:( Oh, god. Me, too. I never even listened to loud music/used small arms/had any fun, I just started losing some of my hearing at around 25. I find that just cutting someone off and going, "I have very poor hearing, you will have to speak up/look at me" works pretty well. :shrug: I have stopped being embarrassed about it tbh

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

cash crab posted:

:( Oh, god. Me, too. I never even listened to loud music/used small arms/had any fun, I just started losing some of my hearing at around 25. I find that just cutting someone off and going, "I have very poor hearing, you will have to speak up/look at me" works pretty well. :shrug: I have stopped being embarrassed about it tbh

My hearingis just fine, but when I get into a pub or a bar and there is that murmer of background noise I find it so loving hard to hear what people are saying to me. My sister is a brain nerd and she told me about how your brain has a tipping point where it can no longer hold onto incoming information if there is too much background information crowding in too. I think I have a low brain tipping noise threshold thing. It's a peeve.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"

Dr Scoofles posted:

My hearingis just fine, but when I get into a pub or a bar and there is that murmer of background noise I find it so loving hard to hear what people are saying to me. My sister is a brain nerd and she told me about how your brain has a tipping point where it can no longer hold onto incoming information if there is too much background information crowding in too. I think I have a low brain tipping noise threshold thing. It's a peeve.

I've been deaf in one ear for most of my life and it's infuriating when I have to ask over and over to speak at me/clearer/louder and pretty much forget ever talking to someone with lots of background noise

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I've always had terrible hearing since I was a child, not for any reason they just shoved vents in a lot to try and fix it and it never really got better. I've been with my bf for almost 4 years now and I still have to ask him not to mumble at me, it makes me sound like a school teacher telling him to stand up straight and I hate it but I can't keep asking him to repeat himself 4 times if he's not going to enunciate any better when he does :(

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Honestly, I have perfectly fine hearing (for now) but people who mumble definitely hits a pet peeve.

My boyfriend sometimes makes some remark, usually while facing the other direction, speaking in a low voice, and often on a crowded street. I can't loving hear you when you're mumbling in the complete opposite direction from me, dude!

To segue, another pet peeve are those friends who normally talk quietly and won't speak up in a crowded or loud place (like a restaurant or bar) even after much cajoling. Like, I get it, you normally don't raise your voice, or maybe you want to feel wanted or something when people lean in to hear you whispering. I'm usually the person who does the listening in group conversations and I will lean in to hear what you have to say, but my patience only is so limited. If we've asked you a bunch of times to talk louder so we can hear you and you don't meet us halfway, then yeah, you are going to get ignored from then on. Tough luck.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Clocks posted:

Honestly, I have perfectly fine hearing (for now) but people who mumble definitely hits a pet peeve.

My boyfriend sometimes makes some remark, usually while facing the other direction, speaking in a low voice, and often on a crowded street. I can't loving hear you when you're mumbling in the complete opposite direction from me, dude!

My mother does this all the time, and then to add to the irritation, won't repeat anything. "Oh, it wasn't important." Just say it again facing me!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Pet Peeve: When I make a comment that isn't really important and I don't want to have to go through and repeat or set up the comment again.

The moment has passed, don't ride my rear end trying to get to recreate the throw away line.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Tiggum posted:

My mother does this all the time, and then to add to the irritation, won't repeat anything. "Oh, it wasn't important." Just say it again facing me!

That one drives me insane. I ask my wife to speak up, and she speaks more quietly. I ask again and she turns her head away from me and speaks more quietly. I ask again, and she says it's not important and will refuse to explain what she wanted to say. I know it was a throw-away line but just loving say it and speak up for Christs sake!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jastiger posted:

Pet Peeve: When I make a comment that isn't really important and I don't want to have to go through and repeat or set up the comment again.

The moment has passed, don't ride my rear end trying to get to recreate the throw away line.

I like to make bad and dumb jokes and when people don't get it or don't hear it, I don't want to bother repeating that because the moment's gone. They usually get super pissed off when I say "It's nothing, never mind" or "It was just a dumb joke, don't worry" and try to get on with my life. Instead they will hound me until I explain every detail of my "I guess that's shocking" remark after hearing about someone getting hit by lightning.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Jesus, this. I have about half the hearing in my left ear as my right after a runaway infection years ago, and my mom has this tendency to turn the TV up and then talk in a normal voice when she's off to my left due to where my desk is and aaaagh I get about half of what she says and then she gets all irritated.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Clocks posted:

My guy does this too. It's not on purpose, he's just soft-spoken, and he does raise his voice and speak clearly when I ask him to. But I hate having him repeat himself and I'm sure he hates doing it, so it can get irritating.

Jastiger posted:

My mom does this too! She thinks I'm hilarious, so when I make an off-hand comment that's mildly funny, she makes me repeat it to whoever's standing around. Sometimes she does this hours later--my sister will walk in and she'll go "Maggie said the funniest thing ever this morning! Maggie, say it again!" And she won't be happy until I repeat myself, only the moment is gone. Fortunately my sister/grandma/aunt think I'm funny too.

New peeve: socks that are not sized. I'm sorry, "one size fits all" but your clown feet-sized booty socks are sliding down inside my shoes because one size does NOT fit all when you're talking about socks that are supposed to be fitted! Just make small-medium-large! Don't make socks for a size ten foot and call them one size fits all. Now I'm walking around in a pair of booties with no socks because the drat things won't stay on, and it feels weird. :(

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Jastiger posted:

Yeah this. I think aloud a lot (probably someone's pet peeve) and my SO always asks "what did you say?" That in and of itself is fine, the problem is that he won't give up until I repeat it. When I say "it's not important" "never mind" etc, that means that it's not important and there's no point in repeating it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I could really go for a raspberry diet coke right now but they're not available retail and I don't want to drive for ten minutes to find a fast food restaurant with one of those magic raspberry diet coke-yielding soda machines and pay like 3 dollars for 16 ounces of soda.

e: hey this isn't the 1st world problems thread

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Oct 21, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thin Privilege posted:

Yeah this. I think aloud a lot (probably someone's pet peeve) and my SO always asks "what did you say?" That in and of itself is fine, the problem is that he won't give up until I repeat it. When I say "it's not important" "never mind" etc, that means that it's not important and there's no point in repeating it.

Yeah my SO is guilty of it too, exactly. Blargh. I"m thinking of trading her in for a newer model or something.

Going to Macy's instead of Wal Mart this time.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

New peeve: socks that are not sized. I'm sorry, "one size fits all" but your clown feet-sized booty socks are sliding down inside my shoes because one size does NOT fit all when you're talking about socks that are supposed to be fitted! Just make small-medium-large! Don't make socks for a size ten foot and call them one size fits all. Now I'm walking around in a pair of booties with no socks because the drat things won't stay on, and it feels weird. :(
This for me too, but from the opposite side. Your dainty pixie feet-sized ankle socks keep slipping off my clown feet.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Maggie Fletcher posted:

What up, fellow tiny foot-haver? My feet are pretty drat small (Euro size 33, which is about an American 4), and I can never find small enough socks outside of a handful of places. On that note, I can never find shoes small enough to fit my feet in normal shoe shops. It's the worst kind of discrimination - the kind against me.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

ZakAce posted:

What up, fellow tiny foot-haver? My feet are pretty drat small (Euro size 33, which is about an American 4), and I can never find small enough socks outside of a handful of places. On that note, I can never find shoes small enough to fit my feet in normal shoe shops. It's the worst kind of discrimination - the kind against me.

Oh man, you feel my pain and then some. I'm a 36, so I can still find shoes that fit. But sock manufacturers pretend that because socks stretch, they can be worn by everyone, when that's not even close to true.

Another peeve: when people type "oh la la" instead of "ooh la la." I always read it phonetically and it doesn't make sense!

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

That's how the French say it, though.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

Mine too. I've never gotten the oversharing thing, either. My boyfriend has to discuss literally everything with his mother, including everything in my life. At one point, she showed up to my house to lecture me about not eating organically.

I love him, but goddamn does his mom make me give that whole family the side eye.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

All the stores have warm and comfy sweaters, scarves and hats for fall but it's still 80 loving degrees here so it's too hot to wear them :saddowns:

another downside of the weather: the gross as gently caress Bradford/Callery Pear trees are still in bloom and since some sadistic bastard planted them everywhere, even in urban areas with high pedestrian traffic, you end up smelling them multiple times even on short walks. cities already smell, why do you need to make it worse!?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who go over the top when describing their dinner/recipes on the internet. You aren't writing a description on a restaurant menu, if it's a steak and mashed potatoes, just call it that. It doesn't make it more impressive when you type it as "well-seasoned grass-fed pan seared well marbled 100% American ribeye accompanied with a nice russet pomme puree, hand-selected from my organic garden". It is almost always done with pretty ordinary food where they are counting on "fancy" plating/photography and descriptions to make it seem more elevated than it really is. I guess excessive adjectives in general are my pet peeve. This makes places like GWS completely unbearable to me.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Murphy Brownback posted:

People who go over the top when describing their dinner/recipes on the internet. You aren't writing a description on a restaurant menu, if it's a steak and mashed potatoes, just call it that. It doesn't make it more impressive when you type it as "well-seasoned grass-fed pan seared well marbled 100% American ribeye accompanied with a nice russet pomme puree, hand-selected from my organic garden". It is almost always done with pretty ordinary food where they are counting on "fancy" plating/photography and descriptions to make it seem more elevated than it really is. I guess excessive adjectives in general are my pet peeve. This makes places like GWS completely unbearable to me.
As I've started being more and more adventurous with cooking, this has bugged the poo poo out of me in recipes online and I'm glad it's not just me. For gently caress's sake, just give me the ingredients, the amounts, and the steps. Stop having some sort of weird masturbatory moment with a steak and a thesaurus.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Murphy Brownback posted:

I'm rather hateful towards the twee life story that comes with recipes these days. This poo poo shows up in cook books too now.

It was when I spent my autumns living in Paris, and my grand mama and I would wend our way through the prettiest little boutiques and street cafes. It was here I discovered the sweetest little pastry shop that sold real, old fashioned French treats which reminded me so much of dear grand pop-paw and his little bakery that he .. blah blah blah for three massive paragraphs.... and so I made my own version of that pain au chocolat and I present it to you now, dear reader...

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Pet peeve: no, photography did not take "hours" in the past. The VERY FIRST photography ever, in the 1820s, took about 8 hours, but by the 1830s dagguerotype exposure was down to ten minutes, in the middle of the 19th century it was a few seconds, and it was down to basically modern speeds by the end of the 19th century. The Kodak Brownie had a shutter speed of around 1/50th of a second.

It's such a common misconception that I've seen people expressing shock and amazement over photos from the mid-20th century like "oh my gosh how did they manage to take that, everyone would have had to stand still for ages!" No. No they wouldn't. That hasn't been necessary since the goddamn American Civil War.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
"Some famous oval office broke the internet with their generic, non-partisan opinion!"
"CLICK HERE on this working hyperlink to find out more!..."
*Website's javascript heavy shitheap crashes the browser*
:ironicat:

liquorlanche has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Oct 21, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Murphy Brownback posted:

My dad does something like this, but instead of text he'll word vomit the entire recipe step by step at you if you like something he cooked.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Dr Scoofles posted:

I'm rather hateful towards the twee life story that comes with recipes these days. This poo poo shows up in cook books too now.

It was when I spent my autumns living in Paris, and my grand mama and I would wend our way through the prettiest little boutiques and street cafes. It was here I discovered the sweetest little pastry shop that sold real, old fashioned French treats which reminded me so much of dear grand pop-paw and his little bakery that he .. blah blah blah for three massive paragraphs.... and so I made my own version of that pain au chocolat and I present it to you now, dear reader...

:argh:

This is so infuriating.

Life fuckin' story, broken up into chunks by enormous photos of the dish from several different angles interspersed throughout, then you get to the actual recipe after wearing out your scroll wheel and it's

quote:

1 lb stew meat
1 package stew seasoning
3 cups water
carrots
potatoes
celery
salt and pepper to taste

Put all this in a slow-cooker. Enjoy!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Murphy Brownback posted:

This annoys me so much I have complained about it in here not once but twice. :saddowns::hf::saddowns:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The mods hate the IOSM thread so I'll just go here to talk about how much I hate that any date that appears in a moderately well-received movie becomes [Movie] Day everywhere. gently caress Back to the Future Day, gently caress October 3, gently caress Harry Potter's birthday, gently caress May the Fourth and EXTREMELY gently caress The 5th of November.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Parasol Prophet posted:

This for me too, but from the opposite side. Your dainty pixie feet-sized ankle socks keep slipping off my clown feet.

Same. Pretty much no one has larger than average socks. But then if they even have a size 14 shoe theyve only got 1 in the entire store and its not wide.

Finally just figured out to order 3-4 pairs off Amazon and return the ones that dont fit (usually all of them).

pet peeve: tiny baby feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This annoys me so much I have complained about it in here not once but twice. :saddowns::hf::saddowns:
We need a PYF-made cookbook. Every recipe is just "I don't know, throw like... some of this poo poo in a pot, cook it for awhile. What the gently caress do you want, a narrative?" or some variation thereof.