Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
help me star citizen thread

you're my only hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Rebel Galaxy is fun.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
This is the wordiest drat cry for help I've seen yet.

It's amazing the degree to which the fanboys feel obligated to post these epic reassurances to self about the wisdom of still trusting in Star Citizen. I mean, we know what's behind it but still-- it's still just stunning to see sometimes.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Omi-Polari posted:

I don't think you realize these dancing candy tags are an investment in the most ambitious, immersive shitposting experience ever.

Lowtax can extrapolate future gang tags as well, and he has far better data than we have. Shitposting will happen no matter what. This has been clear for at least a year now. Even if something disastrous happens and the backing drops to zero, he could deliver a proper shitposting experience (that would be smaller and less sophisticated than what they are currently working on, but still far bigger and more ambitious than the initially promoted shitposts).

So are you saying that these gang tags are just concepts for bigger, better gang tags in the future?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
https://www.reddit.com/r/Showerthoughts/comments/3pt5x8/i_am_more_responsible_with_the_resources_i_have/

Perfect description of star citizens.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Catching up, but I remember RSI putting this up for a vote at least twice. I think it was in the context of new stretch goals for every $1 million funded. The brown sea predictably voted in favor of additional bread and circuses both times.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

G0RF posted:

This is the wordiest drat cry for help I've seen yet.

Hellshavoc posted:

With almost all big breakthroughs, whether it is in medicine, tech, moon landing, even the Atom Bomb, the world says it can't be done right up until the moment it is done and SC is no different.

I don't know if anyone said it couldn't be done, it's just that the people doing it are doing a horrible, terrible, no-good job.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

contribution to the thread:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Raskolnikov posted:

reddit, archive this

thanks

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Hey reddit, archive this:

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Old School Internet Warlord Derek Smart vs. the BBC

Recall this article (with no author listed) posted several days ago: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34548609

From the end:

Article posted:

Correction: An earlier version of this story reported that the game had reached one million backers, which should have said one million players.

One million "players", this journalist gets an F

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BeefThief posted:

Recall this article (with no author listed) posted several days ago: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34548609

From the end:

It's a promotional piece lying about the game existing. It needs to be corrected to say backers again. How the gently caress would there be 1m players in a game that doesn't exist?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FutonForensic posted:

I don't know if anyone said it couldn't be done, it's just that the people doing it are doing a horrible, terrible, no-good job.

As with both the moon landing and the atom bomb, people were in fact pretty sure it could be done. The question was how.

Star Citizen is a lot more like the Uranverein than the Manhattan Project.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Devian666 posted:

It's a promotional piece lying about the game existing. It needs to be corrected to say backers again. How the gently caress would there be 1m players in a game that doesn't exist?

Probably just deceptively counting people with Arena Commander access as "Star Citizen players".

In other news according to Youtube almost 39 million have seen Star Wars: The Force Awakens since it came out three nights ago.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

BeefThief posted:

From the end:

i like this article linked on the same page just below it

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

MeLKoR posted:

The worst I think is that he's stated in several places that he's qualified to make such an assessment which makes it an allegedly professional psychological profile. He's also stated that he considered beforehand the possibility of being sued which implies he knew the allegations he was making were at least potentially libelous but his target would probably not sue.

I guess now it sucks to be that guy...
The best advice is...don't be that guy.

Also someone needs to photoshop Derek's head onto a pic of Conan the barbarian during the scene where the tribesman horserider guy asks "What is best in life"..

"To crush your enemies, see their credibility driven before you. Read the lamentations of the white knights"

JazzPaws fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 23, 2015

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Raskolnikov posted:

I'll trade you one fish for your mouth full of dick.

This sums things up nicely.

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

D_Smart posted:

God I hope one of those White Knight tools pull something worthy of my attorney getting out of bed. So far that twit Accelerwraith (aka DickWulf) hasn't crossed the line yet. Yet.

If he emails with an attached jpeg...probably don't open it. Just saying..

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

redditors are terrible

Just a reminder, fuckos.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

quote:

"Devs shouldn't criticize unfinished work of other devs, each developer is unique in their own right."

quote:

"Excellent TLDR, I agree with pretty much every point you made. Well done!"

Each developer is a unique snowflake that should be told that they are unique and special and their dreams can become true if they believe hard enough.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

reasonable post on Reddit posted:

quote:

dox

däks/

verbinformal

verb: doxx

search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet, typically with malicious intent.

What was the malicious intent in posting the info about the guy who lied about their professional background and made slanderous claims about Derek?

TheRoadbeer posted:

Publishing someone else's real name. No reason to do that except malicious intent.

Apparently if a writer for TechRaptor used their real name on that site, then made posts linking themselves to their articles elsewhere, you're doxxing them for making that connection. :psyduck:

The guy literally put his IRL name on TechRaptor.com

http://techraptor.net/content/author/kelwood

and it was easily found to be linked to his Reddit account.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Unfunny Poster posted:

Apparently if a writer for TechRaptor used their real name on that site, then made posts linking themselves to their articles elsewhere, you're doxxing them for making that connection. :psyduck:

That profile pic he has in TechRaptor...

Kind of just explains everything.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
I imagine that's the last look he gave before getting smart bombed.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Unfunny Poster posted:

Goons complaining about a public figure doxxing himself, not surprising.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheRoadbeer posted:

Cut the poo poo.

Derek posted the information with deliberate malicious intent.

Just because your information is out there, guess what, everyone's is one way or another. Doesn't mean you doxx yourself if someone happens along it and puts the dots together.

Edit - On why it's malicious intent to post the writers name and link his Tech Raptor profile.

TheRoadbeer posted:

Why else would you post someone else's name and place of employment on the internet without their permission?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 23, 2015

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure refunds have been cut off

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I had to work OT tonight, but I see everything is still hilarious! Life ain't so bad yo.

Reason posted:

Pretty sure refunds have been cut off

What makes you think this?

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 23, 2015

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Ghostlight posted:

The thread literally resummoned DS earlier by saying his name three times. It is a known spell.

I personally witnessed the spell work once before on another forum, circa 2004, and it was an awesome sight to behold. He had posted on the forums in the distant past, but had not been seen for an age. One day an unwitting poster said the name three times in jest, and (before the day was out) the named one had returned from his long slumber to post again. Those words have power, use them wisely.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Derek where the blog update I'm literally about to burst with anticipation

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

geoffvader posted:

If you are having some sort of disagreement with someone online and you discover their personal details, you can legitamately contact them and politely ask them to desist... You have absolutely NO justification for posting their personal contact details, absolutely none. That is exactly what doxxing is.

Considering no personal contact details were posted beyond that threat assessment dude's public profile on TechRaptor, this dude is openly admitting that by his own logic the r/dereksmart subreddit is doxxing D. R. Smart (Dr Smart, get it? :downs:). Lmao.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 23, 2015

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Drink the kool-aide Citizen

Pick up that Styrofoam cup...

edit: legit excited about GW2 expansion :o

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Basically as I understand it doxing is done by using things like google and social media to gain information on a person that would identify them. Although I do not partake in posting my personal info everywhere I think people should be safe from having their's posted randomly. I guess the thing that I would like you to think about is, what if it was you? What if you were the guy that just had his full name and other identifying information posted? I know it was already out there but posting it here was at the very least uncool.

Personally I wouldn't have had the inclination to back track him through old reddit posts to an old post on a PS2 forum and then use that to find his old employer, name and location.

Derek Smart did the right thing editing it out and I'm glad he did. The right thing would be to keep it to himself and just handle the whole thing in private like the adult he is but the heat of the moment and all right.

edit:

for something more relevant:

If this game looks this bad now and god it looks bad can you even start to guess how poo poo it's going to look in 2020 when these people think the game will be finished.

Szcwczuk fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 23, 2015

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

DOMDOM posted:

help me star citizen thread

you're my only hope

Wait, did Star Citizen do this? Is this real?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Reddit please archive this;

gently caress you.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:dogbutton:

Also, archive this:
     ,/   ,..:::=ー,..:-=-::、
     (( 、、_/ i'´ / _....,_ `ヽ
  、ヽ ミゞ ゝ ヽ/ ; r','"⌒~^'ー::、
  ''=,ミ -- ' ^ ~ ^ ニ _ ^ヾー-:、 ミ:、
  ∠./,:=ニニ - 二 =ー::、 ^ ミ 、 ー
,.::-=ニ'レ,.:--‐   ー--:: 、ヽ ヽ ミ ヾヽ
/,,.-‐i ;::::::-、  !  .;:::::;;;::;、 ; ヽ  ミ  、ヽ、
〃./'i ,,:=:, 、   _ ,:=::.、  .;   ニ  ヾミ、_
,! i l,γ @> ゙:.  .: k @ ミ:、 .i ,:-'   、^ミ=-
ノ. !,tゞニ彡'ノ : . ^ミ=ニイ、、  彡ソヘ ヾヽヽ、
/. レ   /  :. '-、     :,  / ,ソミ:、 〉 )
  | / /ゝ、_ノ..,)ヽ   、 l  i /ヽヾ j λ
  ! ヘノ/ノ川 !.ヘヾ、ミ、 i  :l  ハノ .)ノ人 ヽ、
   !.i^'=ァ~'T''⌒ナヾヘ !  i /`´
   ヽ、`l  ;  /,/ / ./ノ
    ヾ、i. ;  〃゙  / ,.ノ'´
      ヾゝi_,ノ   ノ/
      ヽ、_,,../゙

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Archive this reddit;

:regd13:

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
I love the idea that butthurt Redditors are archiving this thread, and I really hope it's true.

If nothing else, it will inevitably lead to at least a few people realizing that the bullshit hearsay and conspiracy theories they've been circle-jerking around were exactly that :jerkbag:

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Full Metal Boxers posted:

I love the idea that butthurt Redditors are archiving this thread, and I really hope it's true.

If nothing else, it will inevitably lead to at least a few people realizing that the bullshit hearsay and conspiracy theories they've been circle-jerking around were exactly that :jerkbag:

People that deep in aren't going to be convinced of anything easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Look you can't fault the cultists for grasping at straws. They have nothing else to hold onto besides a dream that is never going to be realised. Also poo poo like that about "doxxing " is exactly why Reddit is full of loving stupid neckbeards who don't even understand the Internet. I swear Reddit is literally babies first internet.

• Locked thread