Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Not irrationally irritating, but smarter in hindsight. In THE THING Mac should have just cut peoples hair instead hacking up peoples thumbs with a scabby scalpel. Normal hair is just dead cells, THING hair would go loving apeshit if you took scissors to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

ChogsEnhour posted:

Not irrationally irritating, but smarter in hindsight. In THE THING Mac should have just cut peoples hair instead hacking up peoples thumbs with a scabby scalpel. Normal hair is just dead cells, THING hair would go loving apeshit if you took scissors to it.

The manga/anime Parasyte has this as a method to determine who is a human and who is an alien parasite that take over human heads.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Rewatching Heroes season 2 because I hate myself, I was reasonably pleased by a scene where a character with healing powers cuts himself to test it out, and he does it on the back of his forearm. Instead of slicing up his palm like a jackass. It's the only time anyone in that season does anything half-sensible so it stuck out.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

HopperUK posted:

Rewatching Heroes season 2 because I hate myself, I was reasonably pleased by a scene where a character with healing powers cuts himself to test it out, and he does it on the back of his forearm. Instead of slicing up his palm like a jackass. It's the only time anyone in that season does anything half-sensible so it stuck out.

I'd say the hand is just a spectacularly bad place to do this, period. Come to think of it, cutting yourself anywhere on your body is stupid, don't cut yourself! Cut someone else!

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Aleph Null posted:

Catchiest horror theme song, too.
https://youtu.be/-I3VHKO3qGM

This would take all the tension out of the Friday the 13th movies.

Beware of Jason,
he cuts, he stabs,
he impales people
all the time

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Grendels Dad posted:

I'd say the hand is just a spectacularly bad place to do this, period. Come to think of it, cutting yourself anywhere on your body is stupid, don't cut yourself! Cut someone else!

Mentally ill people with a history of self harm almost never go for the palm because on some level they know they have to use that hand all the time. They only have to do normal people stuff though and not win a sword fight, use a gun, climb a building, and punch somebody all while riding their motorcycle.:shrug:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
If I was some blood borne tribal chief I would cut the buttocks and have people mush those babies together for unbreakable brotherhood.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Nutsngum posted:

If I was some blood borne tribal chief I would cut the buttocks and have people mush those babies together for unbreakable brotherhood.

Ain't nothing more special than butt blood brothers.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nutsngum posted:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ChogsEnhour posted:

I never thought of that. But I thought it had to be blood to trigger the test. By your logic, why not just clip the guy's fingernails or something?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I'm watching the first season of iZombie and Liv frequently has to make excuses to the detective Clive about her behavior after taking on the personalities of the brains she eats. Nearly every episode has hijinks ensue because of this and has Liv clamoring to cover it up so Clive doesn't get suspicious of her true nature.

But why not just tell him her "psychic visions" impart the personality of the person she's "seeing" onto her and nip that problem in the bud? He already believes she's a psychic, I can't imagine "personality transfer" would be where the guy draws the line.

In fact, telling him it's a side-effect of her powers would've solved several misunderstandings. Like one time when she ate an alcoholic brain and her drinking gets her in deep poo poo with Clive.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Esroc posted:

I'm watching the first season of iZombie and Liv frequently has to make excuses to the detective Clive about her behavior after taking on the personalities of the brains she eats. Nearly every episode has hijinks ensue because of this and has Liv clamoring to cover it up so Clive doesn't get suspicious of her true nature.

But why not just tell him her "psychic visions" impart the personality of the person she's "seeing" onto her and nip that problem in the bud?

I've been asking this since the show started. :argh:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've never seen iZombie, but I hate that the creator clearly meant the title to be a play on I, Robot, but the marketing team was too dumb to get it (or didn't care) and decided it had to be a play on iThings even though that makes no sense.

Like...she's not an internet zombie or anything...is she?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

On the Internet, no one knows you're a zombie.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've never seen iZombie, but I hate that the creator clearly meant the title to be a play on I, Robot, but the marketing team was too dumb to get it (or didn't care) and decided it had to be a play on iThings even though that makes no sense.

The show is loosely based on a comic of the same name though.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Like...she's not an internet zombie or anything...is she?

Surly this is a take on I Claudius, and I assume the programme is about the power plays between patrician members of the undead.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

BiggerBoat posted:

I never thought of that. But I thought it had to be blood to trigger the test. By your logic, why not just clip the guy's fingernails or something?

Yeah or the fingernails. That's work too, just figured hair cutting would have been easier.

Although thinking about it, they'd have to burn the hair after it was cut because if The Thing is cool with it's thumb being cut open then maybe it could be cool with its hair being cut as well. Just have a big old pile of hair and toenails and... I'm overthinking this.

Ultimately though I was just trying to think of a way to avoid re-using that scummy scalpel that he cleans by wiping on his keks of all things. That's not clean!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

ChogsEnhour posted:

Ultimately though I was just trying to think of a way to avoid re-using that scummy scalpel that he cleans by wiping on his keks of all things. That's not clean!

Given the events immediately following that scene, I think an infection is the least of their worries.

Oh wait, this is the irrational things thread.

My IMM: In Jurassic Park, how does Hammond get into the trailer at the start? The helicopter arrives and Hammond is already pouring champagne before the rotors have even stopped. Was the chopper arriving to pick him up and he'd been hiding in the trailer the whole time? Did he arrive on the chopper and instead of approaching Grant and Sattler just immediately run into the trailer? He's an old man with a cane, how did he get there?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

nexus6 posted:

Given the events immediately following that scene, I think an infection is the least of their worries.

Oh wait, this is the irrational things thread.

My IMM: In Jurassic Park, how does Hammond get into the trailer at the start? The helicopter arrives and Hammond is already pouring champagne before the rotors have even stopped. Was the chopper arriving to pick him up and he'd been hiding in the trailer the whole time? Did he arrive on the chopper and instead of approaching Grant and Sattler just immediately run into the trailer? He's an old man with a cane, how did he get there?

I bet there was another copter that we didn't see, or perhaps a private jet because Hammond spares no expense with his park. You know, save security, backup systems, loving employees, etc.

In the Harry Potter movies, don't those house elves have pretty powerful rear end magic? Why didn't Harry's parents just live in the magic world and have a few of those fuckers around at all times, so the Big Bad V couldn't kill them?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

I bet there was another copter that we didn't see, or perhaps a private jet because Hammond spares no expense with his park. You know, save security, backup systems, loving employees, etc.

There was a security guy and he had a shotgun what more do you want.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cowslips Warren posted:

In the Harry Potter movies, don't those house elves have pretty powerful rear end magic? Why didn't Harry's parents just live in the magic world and have a few of those fuckers around at all times, so the Big Bad V couldn't kill them?

Only a "free" House Elf is capable of resisting a wizard and even then they have great difficulty in fighting their natural urges. Even after freeing him and thanking Harry for it, Dobby still finds it almost impossible to assist against his former master and other dark wizards without trying to seriously harm himself as punishment.

:goonsay:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Anosmoman posted:

There was a security guy and he had a shotgun what more do you want.

Security guy was the anti-Crocodile Hunter.

Didn't care much for the wildlife and mostly wanted to kill it, disemboweled in spectacular fashion rather than an encounter with a fish.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In the Rick and Morty season finale Rick goes and tries to find a planet that is habitable for humans but also not under Galactic Federation jurisdiction. The "planet" he picks is only 300 yards in circumference. If it's that small it's not a planet, it's an asteroid or at best a celestial dwarf. Immersion ruined.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

And accidentally giving a house elf clothes counts as presenting it with clothes, therefore freeing it. So is there another enslaved race of creatures responsible for the laundry? Or other normal servant stuff like taking someone's coat? How many house elves have been freed accidentally on their first week because of these rules?

My wife recently watched Fellowship of the Ring for the first time and got very upset that no one went to try to help Gandalf after the Balrog whips him down. He was holding on for a few seconds, surely someone should've at least tried to go get him as opposed to holding Frodo back. I always accepted it for dramatic reasons before but given how quick characters like Legolas are it seems odd that they just sort of watch it happen.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What were they supposed to do against a 50' tall fire demon that just kicked a wizard's rear end?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Who What Now posted:

What were they supposed to do against a 50' tall fire demon that just kicked a wizard's rear end?

If the wizard can't handle it, what are a party full of rangers, fighters and rogues meant to do? The hobbits were probably like, level one. No way they were going to manage to do a drat thing to a balrog, I bet those things were immune to critical hits anyway on account of being made of fire and shadow.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

dirksteadfast posted:

My wife recently watched Fellowship of the Ring for the first time and got very upset that no one went to try to help Gandalf after the Balrog whips him down. He was holding on for a few seconds, surely someone should've at least tried to go get him as opposed to holding Frodo back. I always accepted it for dramatic reasons before but given how quick characters like Legolas are it seems odd that they just sort of watch it happen.
They hold Frodo back because goblins are shooting arrows at them, making it impossible to save Gandalf.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In the Rick and Morty season finale Rick goes and tries to find a planet that is habitable for humans but also not under Galactic Federation jurisdiction. The "planet" he picks is only 300 yards in circumference. If it's that small it's not a planet, it's an asteroid or at best a celestial dwarf. Immersion ruined.

Nobody wanted to get Jerry started on what is and isn't a planet again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Slime posted:

If the wizard can't handle it, what are a party full of rangers, fighters and rogues meant to do? The hobbits were probably like, level one. No way they were going to manage to do a drat thing to a balrog, I bet those things were immune to critical hits anyway on account of being made of fire and shadow.

Gandalf wasn't a lame-rear end D&D wizard or anything close to human, he was an ageless immortal energy being whose sole purpose for existing was to organize people to fight Sauron.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

They hold Frodo back because goblins are shooting arrows at them, making it impossible to save Gandalf.

They were all protected by plot armor or storm trooper accuracy or whatever you want to call it.

Gandalf should have been able to hold on for the .5 sec it takes to say "fly you fools" but Jackson was padding things out as usual.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Your Gay Uncle posted:

What like, like the world has to make sense, you know *burp* there are planets falling apart right now Your Gay Uncle – echs is that your real name you know never mind – real planets GayUncle! Floating around and just losing themselves into the void. That's the universe GayUncle!! We fall apart and die *burp*

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

dirksteadfast posted:

And accidentally giving a house elf clothes counts as presenting it with clothes, therefore freeing it. So is there another enslaved race of creatures responsible for the laundry? Or other normal servant stuff like taking someone's coat? How many house elves have been freed accidentally on their first week because of these rules?

I think it has to be, like, directly transferred from human hand to elf hand, since Lucius Malfoy throwing Harry's sock aside and Dobby catching it was what freed him. So the wizards would just have to levitate their robes into the hamper or chuck them on the floor if they want laundry done. Coats are trickier but there's gotta be a spell for an animated coatrack to take care of that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alhazred posted:

They also did not want Frodo to go die as their entire job is to protect him.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
In True Detective, Rust is a borderline chain smoker but anytime he lights up in a car he never rolls down the window.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
And waste smoke? He's getting the most out of each bifter.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Esroc posted:

In True Detective, Rust is a borderline chain smoker but anytime he lights up in a car he never rolls down the window.

My grandma did this, and it's so that the upholstery eventually becomes a gigantic nicotine patch.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Esroc posted:

Chain smokers don't roll down windows. I say this as someone lightly kippered from a childhood of being driven around by a chain smoking mum.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

"Our plan will work perfectly. So long as nothing bad happens."

*Next scene, something bad happens*

Happened in the Martian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Amoeba102 posted:

"Our plan will work perfectly. So long as nothing bad happens."

*Next scene, something bad happens*

Happened in the Martian.

Absolutely worst cut in the movie. Can't understand why they shot/edited it that way.