Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Of course, we're ignoring the greatest Zeon ace of all, Breniff Oguz.

Notable traits:
Mild mannered
Not a dick
Credited kills to his wingmen rather than glory hogging
Never got a custom paint job
Oldtype
Just focused on shooting the enemy from as far away as possible
Criticized Zeon's deployment of undertrained pilots

He's great. Just this nice, kind of boring older guy who presumably retired to work on his garden after the war, and he's at the top of the Zeon killboard.

It has to just be the worst if you're one of the guys trying to revive Zeon. Like you work for months to covertly get into contact with The Greatest Zeon Ace Of All, and he's politely disinterested, but he wants to talk to you about his begonias, because Helen, you have to meet Helen, she's a peach, Helen said they'd grow better if he bought this new fertilizer, and gosh if she wasn't right, and you have to spend six hours just yammering about nothing before he explains that he never was that big into Zeon in the first place, but good luck with whatever it is you're working on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Rest in peace, Docker Iqq. You were the best Zanscare had to offer. Ride on into that sunset, you magnificent motorbike aficionado.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Rest in peace, Docker Iqq. You were the best Zanscare had to offer. Ride on into that sunset, you magnificent motorbike aficionado.

The thing I adore about Duker is that all of his inventions work, and they're loving terrifying. The wacky motorbike guy was one of Zanscare's greatest military assets.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Darth Walrus posted:

The thing I adore about Duker is that all of his inventions work, and they're loving terrifying. The wacky motorbike guy was one of Zanscare's greatest military assets.

It's just like he said: by reviving the biking tradition of the middle ages, he has become invincible.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Episode 39 might have been a mostly filler episode, but Uso went harder than he ever had before. Thirteen kills, thanks to the superior power of the Wings of Light. We had a nice burial for all of the fallen, and oh boy there have been a lot of them. Twelve episodes to go. Buckling in for a wild ride.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 1845

And yes, Docker / Duker / Duke was truly the most important asset to Zanscare's war effort. Though cease fires don't mean poo poo in this universe, lol.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
so how well did those wheels work in outer space? I'm envisioning mobile suits driving along the hulls of battleships.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

so how well did those wheels work in outer space? I'm envisioning mobile suits driving along the hulls of battleships.

They actually functioned as highly effective shields, impromptu weapons, and an emergency distraction when the pilots needed it. Not to mention increased mobility, and they come with beam weapons built in. Those wheels were insane.

Speakin of insane, Zanscare has themselves a Satellite Cannon. Well if you're stalling for time to build a weapon of mass destruction, there is not much better, aside from actual nukes, but it seems like Mobile suits already run on them, so this is just covering the bases. Oh never mind, it's one dope rear end mobile suit. Like wow, it's got so much going on, I don't even know. But it's got a sick hoverboard, shoulder that emit laser discs, and a cool looking head. It also seems to induce headaches and lets newtypes hear the bell toll... it's super creepy. I love it. I don't know what my favourite suit is from this series, but whatever this one is is definitely up there with the Shokew, the Doggorla and the Gedlav.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Speakin of insane, Zanscare has themselves a Satellite Cannon. Well if you're stalling for time to build a weapon of mass destruction, there is not much better

Quoting this part for future use. Look forward to the end of Victory

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Logicblade posted:

They actually functioned as highly effective shields, impromptu weapons, and an emergency distraction when the pilots needed it. Not to mention increased mobility, and they come with beam weapons built in. Those wheels were insane.

Speakin of insane, Zanscare has themselves a Satellite Cannon. Well if you're stalling for time to build a weapon of mass destruction, there is not much better, aside from actual nukes, but it seems like Mobile suits already run on them, so this is just covering the bases. Oh never mind, it's one dope rear end mobile suit. Like wow, it's got so much going on, I don't even know. But it's got a sick hoverboard, shoulder that emit laser discs, and a cool looking head. It also seems to induce headaches and lets newtypes hear the bell toll... it's super creepy. I love it. I don't know what my favourite suit is from this series, but whatever this one is is definitely up there with the Shokew, the Doggorla and the Gedlav.

HahahahaHAHAHAHA :unsmigghh:

That MS is called the Zanneck and it's rad as gently caress.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So I've finished The Plot to Assassinate Gihren, and it was great. I also liked the combat at the end, the tactics are creative.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

WHOA! NO! You can't be alive... I saw you get shot out of a missile launcher. They called it exile... you can't... well OK, I suppose if you didn't hit anything you'd be fine, but if they fired you in basically any direction you'd be hurtling out into the vast unknown of space and die from loss of oxygen. What the hell Victory.... Also did they just give us more expendable women on the federation? I'm already anticipating their overfetishized deaths.

In a surprise I'm sure no one saw coming, Usso's dad was actually the leader of the League Militiare all along. I am so stunned. Meanwhile the rear end in a top hat crew has assembled. Pippiniden, Torpedo Girl and the pedophile are all on the same ship now. Joy. Anyway, this angel halo thing... sounds pretty bad. It's like a super powered microwave transmitter or something. It's probably nothing, not with the way the music is swelling dramatically. Anyway, Usso scored four more kills today, we only got to see them from a distance, but the Mega Beam Rifle did work.

The military offhandedly ask Usso how many mechs he's shot down. He's being modest when he says 10 or 15 though, the answer was 45. At least up to that point. His total kill count right now is 1849.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
As you can probably tell by now, oxygen deprivation was not kind to Fuala.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

As you can probably tell by now, oxygen deprivation was not kind to Fuala.

She wasn't all there in the first place, but she's gone from functioning human being with a riding crop fetish to Rosamia level crazy.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know if they've explained it to you yet, but the Angel Halo is the most hosed up superweapon in all of Gundam in my opinion

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Oh my god, why the hell is Lupe getting a flashback after her death? She was probably the least sympathetic character so far. And I'm counting her death, pippi's death and his battleship blowing up all as Usso kills, because why not. Put that together with the other three mechs he took out this episode and he's at a cool 1960 kills. Seems like I forgot what the killcount was some time in the thirties and recounted from the wrong post (I jumped from 1825 to 1831 back down to 1826) so I'm adding those six kills here again. Lupe is still the weirdest. Well... no the competition is actually getting stiff now that Fuala is back.

They went a bit more into what the Angel Halo does, apparently it's a giant mind control psycommu system? That means there needs to be a newtype controlling it, right? Oh boy, I can only start to imagine how well this is going to turn out.

Another episode down. Oh. Of Course Fonse Kagatie came from Jupiter, it's the only reasonable explanation to explain why he is such a colossal rear end in a top hat. Three times the gravity, one third the soul. In any case, I take back what I said about Loopy Lupe, Fuala is already way worse. Floating out in space for two days will do that, but at the very least they explained why she's still alive. She also shot her own subordinate in the head... for doing exactly as he was ordered. I would say there is no way they can top her insanity, but I feel like that's just asking to be proven wrong at this point. R.I.P Zanneck you were a great mobile suit.

Usso had one kill this mission, bringing his total count up to 1961.

Logicblade fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 23, 2015

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Tomino's meltdown made Victory a show with a bunch of issues that I'm not really that fond... But the rest of the show is so out there I at least appreciate how earnest it is in being thorough in its insanity.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Episode 44 ended up being another Shakti makes a terrible choice episode. You have to know by now that every single person in Zanscare just wants to use your mother and she has no real power. She let's her self get captured, and Tomino does one of the stupidest tragic love stories I have ever seen with Kisharl and Karinga. Oh no, you killed my hubby... OH NO I tried to kill my hubby all along and he murdered me because I was being stupid. Jesus H. Crust.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Origin's Garma is definitely very gay for Char. :3:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The Origin's Garma is definitely very gay for Char. :3:

He's super bi in Origin since he's still got eyes for Icelina, but the shower scene is pretty much the funniest poo poo in Origin.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Should I watch the new Gundam anime?

Also I've only ever seen Wing as a kid and the movie for that growing up. What gundam should I watch (I know I should watch the original, but confused what order like aren't the movies supposed to be better than the normal anime?)

From someone who hasn't watched a whole lot of Gundam I'd recommend;

08th MS Team - Basically mobile suits in 'Nam, straight up no bullshit grunts fighting a ground war using Gundams which were created using spare parts with no super weapons.
0083: Stardust Memory - It's a bit of a mix since the main characters are annoying as hell, but the whole thing was pretty enjoyable and constantly ramps up for the big end.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Super Slash posted:

08th MS Team - Basically mobile suits in 'Nam, straight up no bullshit grunts fighting a ground war using Gundams which were created using spare parts with no super weapons.
0083: Stardust Memory - It's a bit of a mix since the main characters are annoying as hell, but the whole thing was pretty enjoyable and constantly ramps up for the big end.

0083 definitely shouldn't be watched before Zeta. The ending loses loses its impact completely

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I read through X Astray last night, and I'm reading Destiny Astray today and I'm really liking it!

The Astray Out Frame just being a giant photojournalist robot is cool as all hell.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Droyer posted:

0083 definitely shouldn't be watched before Zeta. The ending loses loses its impact completely

It also ultimately serves to explain something that really didn't need any explaining in the first place.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Srice posted:

It also ultimately serves to explain something that really didn't need any explaining in the first place.

I'd go as far as to say it's a case where the explanation changes the meaning.

On its own, Zeta suggests that even relatively "good" systems can easily fall prey to their worst impulses and become everything they claimed to despise, and that assuming you're in the right because you fought evil last time is a pretty solid road to hell. Feddie and Zeke are just labels, that can and should be ignored to find the real enemy.

With 0083, we get the slightly less relevant in day to day life message that Zeon will continue to be assholes no matter what

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I watched 0083 before Zeta, fortunately it was like 15 years before so I couldn't remember much

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I watched 0083 years before Zeta, but never finished it because it was so goddamn stupid.

And I'm not exactly known for having discerning taste in media.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The first time I watched 0083, I bought the 1st VHS which had the first 2 episodes, and then the DVD that had the last 3 episodes.

You can imagine how that went.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NotALizardman posted:

The Astray Out Frame just being a giant photojournalist robot is cool as all hell.

I've never read it, but I do like the the fact that it has a giant backpack that's actually just living quarters for the pilot. I'd love to see an adventure series with a similar mecha, even down to to photographer angle, about a guy or gal travelling around and living in their giant robot.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
e: wrong thread

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 25, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

alcharagia posted:

today, after multiple years, i have finally figured out that go-lion is named such because it is five lions put together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDajqW561KM

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Super Slash posted:

This isn't exactly accurate. There's tons of bullshit in this show. It's like if a Vietnam movie was about a squad of grunts that are the key unit fighting the NVA who also at the same time discover the NVA's super weapon and bust up its testing, find the hidden NVA base by themselves, are the only ones to make contact with and help local guerrillas fight, fight in the pivotal battle for the war and do key things to win it, oh and the leader of the squad has a romance with the NVA commander's daughter.

08th MS Team is the 'The Green Berets' of supposedly gritty war robot anime.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

tsob posted:

I've never read it, but I do like the the fact that it has a giant backpack that's actually just living quarters for the pilot. I'd love to see an adventure series with a similar mecha, even down to to photographer angle, about a guy or gal travelling around and living in their giant robot.

the Ideon already looks like it transforms into an RV so that's sort of close

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

the Ideon already looks like it transforms into an RV so that's sort of close

It does sorta doesn't it? It's made out of three vehicles that form one big robot

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Droyer posted:

It does sorta doesn't it? It's made out of three vehicles that form one big robot

conveniently two of those vehicles are pretty much actually RVs

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Droyer posted:

Gundam Sousei''s explanation of the Ideon's production origin is loving hilarious.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

He's super bi in Origin since he's still got eyes for Icelina

Good point. It's me, the one practising bi erasure. Sorry. :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Random question, but there's been a like a million variations of the 0079 story at this point between all of the games and comics and books and so on...have any of these alternate takes on the story ever featured Amuro straight up defecting to Zeon with the Gundam, and then explored the ramifications of that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Random question, but there's been a like a million variations of the 0079 story at this point between all of the games and comics and books and so on...have any of these alternate takes on the story ever featured Amuro straight up defecting to Zeon with the Gundam, and then explored the ramifications of that?

No. The closest you get is the Gundam novels where the White Base crew defects to Zeon. Amuro, however, is dead by that time.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
In Gihren's greed it's possible for Zeon to steal the gundam or produce their own but I don't think you can get an Amuro defection. It's fairly likely he would've joined Char in the novels, but like ImpAtom says, he gets iced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
One of my favorite things Amuro ever does is right before the attack on A Baoa Qu, I think, I don't remember exactly when this happens, he says "dont worry guys im a newtype and i saw the future and everything works out ok." Frau or Sayla goes "Wow I didn't know newtypes could do that" to which Amuro responds "they can't im making GBS threads my pants"