Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hate this movie the way most people hate the Thomas Jane movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

iZombie continues to be the best tv show based on a comic.

"based" on a comic

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

"based" on a comic

I mostly love it for the Allred esque screen transitions

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Skwirl posted:

Without a doubt. I binged through the first season last week and now that I'm caught up I can't stand the week to week wait.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
Jessica Jones trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWHUjuJ8zxE

(Alternate Link)

Killgrave seems to be a more focused and taunting here, e.g I don't recall the police station scene at all from the comics, he was more the type to walk up to someone and say "Do this"

EDIT : (OK, 3rd link for a trailer, this might actually stay up this time)

evilbastard fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 23, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There's not a lot of the comics in that trailer in terms of direct adaptations of specific scenes, really. They build him up to be a horrifying mastermind ("the devil") whereas I always got the sense that in the comic he was just some petty insane criminal that was just extremely powerful. You get the sense that someone like Tennant could manipulate his way to the top of the white house if he wanted.

Either way it's really effective, getting hype.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Skwirl posted:

Jesus Christ that fight scene at the end of Episode 2 is top five fight scene ever (talking Daredevil).

I mean it was great. But like There are literally singular movies out there with 5 better fight scenes than that Daredevil one.

evilbastard posted:

Jessica Jones trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7NMA6lC-Ag

(Alternate Link)

Killgrave seems to be a more focused and taunting here, e.g I don't recall the police station scene at all from the comics, he was more the type to walk up to someone and say "Do this"

This looks so drat good.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I'm still slightly annoyed that Kilgrave isn't actually purple, because I guess that doesn't fit the tone of the GROUNDED AND REALISTIC NETFLIX MARVEL UNIVERSE, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

I'm also really curious how the show will handle some of the necessary thematic shifts from Alias - in the comic, one of the major themes was the contrast between Jessica's gritty day-to-day life and the gleaming, shiny world of the Avengers and FF. The show doesn't really have that tonal contrast to play with, not just because specific characters like Carol Danvers and Scott Lang are unavailable, but because the MCU's population and history of publicly active superheroes/villains is so limited. I'm wondering in particular exactly how they'll depict her brief career as Jewel in that context.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 23, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

I'm still slightly annoyed that Kilgrave isn't actually purple, because I guess that doesn't fit the tone of the GROUNDED AND REALISTIC NETFLIX MARVEL UNIVERSE, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

I think there's a strong danger that putting Tennant in purple make-up would just make the character look ridiculous and/or comedic. Based on the trailer I'm guessing the purple comes into play when he uses his powers, like maybe his victims start seeing everything with a colour filter.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

I think there's a strong danger that putting Tennant in purple make-up would just make the character look ridiculous and/or comedic. Based on the trailer I'm guessing the purple comes into play when he uses his powers, like maybe his victims start seeing everything with a colour filter.

Something like the latter is pretty clearly the case. But I do hope they at least tried a purple makeup test and didn't dismiss that option out of hand.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Jessica Jones shows off her PI skills: "Hey have you seen this bad dude, he's purple?" "Holy poo poo I did see a purple guy walking down the street. I noticed because he was loving purple."

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

Jessica Jones shows off her PI skills: "Hey have you seen this bad dude, he's purple?" "Holy poo poo I did see a purple guy walking down the street. I noticed because he was loving purple."

Well, you would think that if he could mind-control anyone, he wouldn't need to worry about being physically inconspicuous. But whatever, best not to get too hung up on this.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Netflix should sell monitor calibrators, their Marvel shows are literally so dark you won't be able to see most of what's going on without calibrating your TV.

I actually couldn't see what was going on, before I calibrated my new TV.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Well super serious shows with serious stuff need to be seriously dark to be taken seriously.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

mikeraskol posted:

I just want to say this cracked me up and made my morning.

Anyway full body makeup is a huge pain in the rear end and it gets on everything. Just look at Homestuck conventions.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, in the comics universe "have you seen this guy? He's purple" probably describes more people than you'd think.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

Well, you would think that if he could mind-control anyone, he wouldn't need to worry about being physically inconspicuous. But whatever, best not to get too hung up on this.
Unless they changed how his powers work, his mind-control isn't quite like that. He has to actually tell people what to do, so he would have to be constantly whispering at people for this to work.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Everytime Kilgrave has to go out in public he brings his megaphone and just chants over and over 'PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE PURPLE MAN YELLING AT YOU'

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I wonder if Luke Cage has his powers at this point too, or Patsy for that matter. And was that Maria Hill briefly?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Brother Entropy posted:

Everytime Kilgrave has to go out in public he brings his megaphone and just chants over and over 'PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE PURPLE MAN YELLING AT YOU'
Or yells IGNORE ME!!!!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

And was that Maria Hill briefly?

I don't think she's in this. You probably saw Carrie-Ann Moss.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

So I wonder if Luke Cage has his powers at this point too, or Patsy for that matter. And was that Maria Hill briefly?

They've already said that Luke already has his powers, but they've been vague on if he'll actually be using his powers or if they'll explain or hint at his origin.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Which is kinda depressing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alhazred posted:

Which is kinda depressing.

It would be if iZombie wasn't great, but it is.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

muscles like this? posted:

Well, in the comics universe "have you seen this guy? He's purple" probably describes more people than you'd think.

If Moon Knight gets a show, there's no reason the Prowler can't appear as a one off villain.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

First trailer for Preacher will air Nov 1st during The Walking Dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Halloween Jack posted:

If Moon Knight gets a show, there's no reason the Prowler can't appear as a one off villain.

Aside from him being a Spider-man character?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

I don't think she's in this. You probably saw Carrie-Ann Moss.

Watched it again, and yep, its her.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

There's not a lot of the comics in that trailer in terms of direct adaptations of specific scenes, really. They build him up to be a horrifying mastermind ("the devil") whereas I always got the sense that in the comic he was just some petty insane criminal that was just extremely powerful. You get the sense that someone like Tennant could manipulate his way to the top of the white house if he wanted.

Either way it's really effective, getting hype.

I dunno if it looks like he's a mastermind... it looks to me like he's just so powerful he doesn't need to be a mastermind. He can just play at it by jumping straight to the result.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

twistedmentat posted:

Does Patsy have powers? Beyond just being inherently awesome and stuff?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

It's a good thing no one in New York doesn't understand English!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

In the comics? I think she may have some vaguely defined cat-totem powers, but mostly she's a chick with clawed gloves.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

She's sensitive to mystical phenomena, which wouldn't be terribly useful in the MCU quite yet.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Barry Convex posted:

She's sensitive to mystical phenomena, which wouldn't be terribly useful in the MCU quite yet.

Also some minor psychic potential - no actual telepathy or moving things with her mind or anything, but she might be able to get a tingle when Kilgrave is active nearby or when someone is under his influence, or have a slight resistance, something along those lines.

(I mean, depending on how exactly they make his powers work I guess, since technically he's a pheromone user)

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm going to guess that Jessica Jones won't have been Jewel, but likely just fighting crime without a costume or name. Having a costumed hero out in the open doesn't fit with the MCU, but it's still important to the character that she have been out on the streets doing the thing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

IIRC from that mini way back when she was in Alaska, she can "see" magic, like see through illusions and poo poo, which like Barry Convex said, really wouldn't be useful in the current MCU. Also her costume's magic and she can summon it on and off at any time which is pretty convenient for a superhero.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

It's a good thing no one in New York doesn't understand English!

poo poo, has there ever been a story where kilgrave interacts with someone who doesn't understand what he's saying? that has loads of potential

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

poo poo, has there ever been a story where kilgrave interacts with someone who doesn't understand what he's saying? that has loads of potential

This was actually a plot point in Preacher, where he could command anyone who could hear - and understand - what he said.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Brother Entropy posted:

He can canonically be beaten by turning up the volume on stereos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And, I believe, back in the day it wasn't pheromones, but literally him being purple that did it. Daredevil fought him a lot because Matt was immune due to his blindness. It's since been retconned to being people with very strong willpower or mental defences can resist him, so people like Daredevil, Captain America, and most famously, Doom can withstand his power.