Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Sandtrout Catsuit posted:

Moving somewhere without good public transportation, need a second, 'family' car. I love my current 2009 Scion xD

Proposed Budget: $20k but less is good
New or Used: Used but recent
Body Style: minivan or SUV with third-row seating
How will you be using the car?: Driving small child (and possible future sibling) around town. Occasional longer trips, occasionally hauling 3-5 adults in addition to child in carseat.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and efficiency. Also, able to find one used with a manual transmission. This may seem weird but we really prefer driving manuals.

Thanks for any guidance. I am not a car person and figuring out what to buy is so overwhelming.

Does one of the 3-5 adults you'll be occasionally hauling around have a car they could drive? Depending on how often occasionally is, you might want to skip the 3rd row. You probably won't need the 3rd row regularly until you have two kids who want to bring friends around, which sounds like it could be 5 years or more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Other revelation about 3rd row minivans, goddamn things are huge. My garage used to fit my prius, my jeep grand cherokee, my shop vac, a busted chair waiting for large trash day, both trash bins, and two bikes on a rack. Now it fits the odyssey, the prius, and the trashcans. Need to get a shed for the mower and the bikes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MeruFM posted:

Giving my current car, 2011 Camry, to my sister. Looking for an upgrade.

Proposed Budget: Flexible. 20k - 60k
New or Used: New? Maybe slightly used if it's a large price difference.
Body Style: 4 door sedan with decent leg/head room. Enough space to haul some furniture when necessary and fit 4/5 comfortably.
How will you be using the car?: Never been much of a car person, having drove basic toyota/honda/ford all my life. But I enjoy driving decently long trips some weekends, ~100-200 miles.
40 mile commute 1 day a week. 2 mile commute or carpool otherwise.
What aspects are most important to you?
1. Noise. The main reason I'm looking for an upgrade. The camry is just loud as hell on the highway compared to other car's I've been in like the bmw x5 and even the hybrid ford fusion.
2. Comfort. Those cars also have a lot nicer suspension which is great. Don't care much for other stuff like leather seats though, although they're probably easier to clean.
3. Leg/head space. Compact sedan like corolla/prius are way too small.
4. Sound system? Connected with #1.

What I've considered:
Lexus GS - Pretty comfortable, still small. LS is larger and incredibly quiet, but expensive.
Ford Fusion Hybrid - Small-ish, good price but not as comfortable. Seems to have a high center of gravity making sharper turns feel scary. Bad experiences with a Ford in the past always breaking down. Maybe it's better now.
Comedy option Tesla - Expensive and somewhat uncomfortable head space, need electric outlet. Currently living in a condo, don't want to argue with HoA about why installing an electric plug is a good idea.

Looking for advice because I'm uncomfortable buying something expensive with limited knowledge (considering how much I sweat the details when buying relatively trivial stuff like a computer monitor or mouse).

Toyota Avalon or the Lexus equivalent should be up your alley.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

IRQ posted:

Toyota Avalon or the Lexus equivalent should be up your alley.

Throatwarbler posted:

Lexus ES/ Toyota Avalon or Chevy Impala/Cadillac XTS.

Thanks, I'll try the avalon and es.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Chrysler 300 is quite nice as well as the impala for large soft cars.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Proposed Budget: Flexible, $15-30k
New or Used: Whatever, I intend to drive it for 125k miles.
Body Style: 4dr, not compact, sedan/stationwagon/crossover.
How will you be using the car?: Daily commuter, 60 miles / 1-2 hours a day round trip carpooling.
What aspects are most important to you? reliability, cost of ownership, bluetooth phone+music.

I am 6'4", no sun roofs need apply. Need a car for The Future(tm) where there could be a stroller in the trunk. I own a fun car, 4cylinder slushboxes are what I'm looking to buy!

Mistakes were made, a Prius V Two was bought. 2016 $25,650 w/ written $0 work order to remove reverse beep. Thank you again thread.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 26, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You made a good choice!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Proposed Budget: $18-$24K
New or Used: New
Body Style: Mid-size sedan
How will you be using the car?: Mostly for commuting, maybe transporting 1 or 2 others but probably plus a kid a few years.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, gas mileage, noise, comfort from increasing importance down

My car was recently totaled (rip blue WRX) so I'm in the market for a new one. I don't really care about import/domestic but I've always heard Japanese cars are the most reliable. I've been looking at Accord's, Camry's and the Mazda 6.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Tagichatn posted:

Proposed Budget: $18-$24K
Body Style: Mid-size sedan
How will you be using the car?: Mostly for commuting, maybe transporting 1 or 2 others but probably plus a kid a few years.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, gas mileage, noise, comfort from increasing importance down

My car was recently totaled (rip blue WRX) so I'm in the market for a new one. I don't really care about import/domestic but I've always heard Japanese cars are the most reliable. I've been looking at Accord's, Camry's and the Mazda 6.

Why not prius

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you really must have a sedan, the hybrid Camry isn't bad.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

MeruFM posted:

Giving my current car, 2011 Camry, to my sister. Looking for an upgrade.

Proposed Budget: Flexible. 20k - 60k
New or Used: New? Maybe slightly used if it's a large price difference.
Body Style: 4 door sedan with decent leg/head room. Enough space to haul some furniture when necessary and fit 4/5 comfortably.
How will you be using the car?: Never been much of a car person, having drove basic toyota/honda/ford all my life. But I enjoy driving decently long trips some weekends, ~100-200 miles.
40 mile commute 1 day a week. 2 mile commute or carpool otherwise.
What aspects are most important to you?
1. Noise. The main reason I'm looking for an upgrade. The camry is just loud as hell on the highway compared to other car's I've been in like the bmw x5 and even the hybrid ford fusion.
2. Comfort. Those cars also have a lot nicer suspension which is great. Don't care much for other stuff like leather seats though, although they're probably easier to clean.
3. Leg/head space. Compact sedan like corolla/prius are way too small.
4. Sound system? Connected with #1.

What I've considered:
Lexus GS - Pretty comfortable, still small. LS is larger and incredibly quiet, but expensive.
Ford Fusion Hybrid - Small-ish, good price but not as comfortable. Seems to have a high center of gravity making sharper turns feel scary. Bad experiences with a Ford in the past always breaking down. Maybe it's better now.
Comedy option Tesla - Expensive and somewhat uncomfortable head space, need electric outlet. Currently living in a condo, don't want to argue with HoA about why installing an electric plug is a good idea.

Looking for advice because I'm uncomfortable buying something expensive with limited knowledge (considering how much I sweat the details when buying relatively trivial stuff like a computer monitor or mouse).

2015/16 Hyundai Genesis sedan. I was looking for very much the same sort of thing and it's quiet as hell with a great sound system in either 15 or 17 speaker variants. Basically a slightly larger, slightly nicer Lexus GS at $15k less.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Why not prius

I don't have anything against hybrids, I just hate how the prius looks.

I'll check out the camry hybrid, I didn't even know they had one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Looking to help a friend out, 5k budget. Her only qualifiers are 4 doors. I'm sorting out the old luxury sedans and other money pits. Likely going to end up in whatever has the most service records for a mid to late 00's economy sedan. Any particular years of the Civic/Corolla/Camry/etc to avoid?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

Looking to help a friend out, 5k budget. Her only qualifiers are 4 doors. I'm sorting out the old luxury sedans and other money pits. Likely going to end up in whatever has the most service records for a mid to late 00's economy sedan. Any particular years of the Civic/Corolla/Camry/etc to avoid?

Something to consider in Civics is that in our 2003 LX ABS was optional. Realized that after buying it. Otherwise ours was a tank.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That's could go either way though. I'd rather not have ABS.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IRQ posted:

That's could go either way though. I'd rather not have ABS.

You want ABS.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Well guys, here's what I ended up doing. After more research and checking things out, I went with the scion. I'm really enjoying it, and man is parking so much easier in a subcompact. I was a bit surprised, the dude I had actually sold another scion to someone else in a lighter blue at the same time while I was buying mine.

Picked up the extended warranty stuff, so everything except for fluids are covered for 7 years. Ran me the base 17,595 plus 2,000 for all the extra warranty stuff. Thanks for the help with deciding on it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

You're right, I got rear-ended by some idiot in a camry yesterday while sitting at a red light, probably would have actually done some damage if she hadn't had ABS and locked up and hit me askew or harder.

So I do want ABS, for everyone else.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If you learned to drive on snow and ice, or you otherwise picked up threshold braking somewhere, you're probably okay without ABS; most people didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly62FoZH_Dc

If you're sure you're that good, go for it. If not, get ABS.

Edit: You can turn ABS off on some cars; might look into that. Will everyone who drives the car be as skilled as you?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

If you learned to drive on snow and ice, or you otherwise picked up threshold braking somewhere, you're probably okay without ABS; most people didn't.

Even so, in the real world there are many unexpected and uncontrolled factors in a potential emergency stop/evade situation. Even for the best-trained drivers (which the vast, VAST majority of drivers are not) can panic, over/under react, or just plain misjudge a scenario that takes place in fractions of a second where ABS would help/prevent. The world is not a controlled test track. ABS systems have been around for decades, are well-understood, and are cheap. In good cars they are completely unobtrusive, work very well, and a very very reliable. There's simply no good reason to not put them as standard equipment on all new cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unless your only choice for an ABS equipped car is a wrecked Chevy Corsica with hosed suspension that engages the ABS over speed bumps (I really should've pulled the drat fuse), you want ABS.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Well, poo poo. My truck died this morning and it isn't worth trying to repair it anymore. So I am in a bind! I didn't plan for this, and I need a new vehicle pretty quick, preferably one with a lot of seating. My credit is around 665, and I can make scrape up a grand or two for a down. proposed budget: as cheap as loving possible.

I was thinking maybe that Kia deal the have going for 2,000 down, 180/month for 36 months, but I have never done a lease before and I have been warned they suck. I'd rather get a new one, because I am sick and tired of repairing old cars.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 30, 2015

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Proposed Budget: Under $30K
Body Style: Hatchback or Crossover
How will you be using the car?: General use: Commuting to work, weekend activity, irregular 3 hour drives to and from relatives. Eventually expect to have kids to move about
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, decent power (not crazy but enough to not worry about hills or accelerating to highway speeds), fuel efficiency, comfort, cargo

My old Focus ZX3 is really showing its age now and I'm looking to get a new car. My parents have a new(ish) Subaru Forester and I'm definitely interested in the crossover concept. No real interest in a sedan as I luke the more flexible cargo options and I would like a minimum of 24 mpg city to match what I am getting now in my Focus.

Currently considering a Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring so something with comparable features would be nice but isn't a necessity.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unless your only choice for an ABS equipped car is a wrecked Chevy Corsica with hosed suspension that engages the ABS over speed bumps (I really should've pulled the drat fuse), you want ABS.

You can always disable it; and when you eventually sell the car, not having ABS won't make it more attractive to most buyers.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

The ABS on my old Grand Marquis was like this and made me think I hated ABS. If you hit a bump or a patch of sand it'd kick on way too much and you'd lose a ton of braking power. Every car I've driven with ABS since has been totally unobjectionable.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Mistakes were made, a Prius V Two was bought. 2016 $25,650 w/ written $0 work order to remove reverse beep. Thank you again thread.

And the backup beeper is disabled by Toyota. Magic!

I didn't realize ABS was "controversial" - I'm going to go with everyone disagreeing with ABS being one of the best things since sliced bread is wrong on the internet.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

H110Hawk posted:

I didn't realize ABS was "controversial" - I'm going to go with everyone disagreeing with ABS being one of the best things since sliced bread is wrong on the internet.

Tell us a little about the V, does it actually have large sedan amounts of legroom in the back? Is it a "4 adults + luggage comfortably cross country" vehicle?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

If you are mad threshold braking in your not-road-legal vehicle with r-comps, then yeah maybe ABS slightly degrades performance.

Look no further than ABS being banned in F1 if you want an understanding of its effectiveness.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Tell us a little about the V, does it actually have large sedan amounts of legroom in the back? Is it a "4 adults + luggage comfortably cross country" vehicle?

The floor in the back seat is a bit tall, me as a freak of nature found my knees to be very high. Would not suggest a short skirt + long legs. The fold-down point for the seat is awkward, making it sorta lump out into your back. I barely sat in the back because I don't care too terribly much about my passengers comfort. Trunk would trivially fit 4 larger-than-carry-on bags. If you stacked it to the ceiling it would also fit a full size cooler. If I were eyeballing it, it is likely the same volume as a 2013 honda civic, but WAY more useful because of the station wagon flip up rear door. If you folded the seats down and were short (<6') you can probably sleep in the trunk SUV style.

Key selling points to me: Station wagon style, (4) metal hoop anchoring points, and fold flat seats. There is also room under the floor in the back for like, a 6-er of tallboys which is foam and likely where I will store jumper cables, first aid kit, that sort of thing.

Ask me in a few months. Honestly so far the most it's held is 2 adults with 2 small backpacks to commute to work.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you are mad threshold braking in your not-road-legal vehicle with r-comps, then yeah maybe ABS slightly degrades performance.

Look no further than ABS being banned in F1 if you want an understanding of its effectiveness.

Teach the controversy.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I'll say this about ABS - I never want a motorcycle without it ever again.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I haven't driven a car made in the last 10 years other than a Prius. Does ABS in new cars still pulse? Because it seems to me it ought to be possible for it to threshold brake for you by now. I mean pretty much every car now can detect wheels slipping, it doesn't seem like detecting brakes locking (rather than simply braking in a manner where they can never lock) would be that much harder.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

I mean pretty much every car now can detect wheels slipping, it doesn't seem like detecting brakes locking (rather than simply braking in a manner where they can never lock) would be that much harder.

You seem to be confused as to how ABS works. It is not activated until a wheel locks. This is determined by comparing the outputs of all of the wheel speed sensors. If a wheel is locked the ABS pump pulses. In a good system the pulsewidth is adjusted continuously to ensure the most braking power, also determined based off of the wheel speed sensors.

What is happening here _IS_ threshold braking, just at a rate faster than a person can do it.

In many of the really old systems this doesn't work well. In the newer systems it typically does.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Motronic posted:

What is happening here _IS_ threshold braking, just at a rate faster than a person can do it.

If it were threshold braking, it would just adjust the braking force, it wouldn't pulse. Pulsing is a kludge; one that happens to be better than most people can brake.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

If it were threshold braking, it would just adjust the braking force, it wouldn't pulse. Pulsing is a kludge; one that happens to be better than most people can brake.

What do you think a good description of "adjust[ing] the braking force" at a rapid rate might be? It's not like modern ABS systems are cutting all braking power during the pulse.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Motronic posted:

What do you think a good description of "adjust[ing] the braking force" at a rapid rate might be? It's not like modern ABS systems are cutting all braking power during the pulse.

Threshold braking isn't rhythmic. You're finding a new level of braking when it begins to slip and staying there. That difference is the only reason it was ever possible to outbrake ABS.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 2, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm sorry to have caused this whole derail, I just felt like I had more control over my car when I was driving my 90s camry with no ABS than I do in my 09 Mazda3 that has it. I'm sure it's probably actually better or whatever but I hate it when it kicks on when I'm perfectly fine pumping the brake on slippy roads and it just decides to go off and I feel like I brake way worse.

I'm not going to do anything dumb like disable it or anything like that guy that is so bothered buy his Prius's backup beep that he wants to murder a blind person.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You DID have more control over it; it's just that that isn't necessarily a good thing.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013
Proposed Budget: 10-13k financed, around 7k in cash
New or Used: Used
Body Style: four door sedan or possibly a hatchback. Until recently drove an Escort and was fine with that size.
How will you be using the car?: ~30 mile highway commute 1-4 times a week, daily errands, camping trips of 5-6 hrs highway driving every other weekend or so.

What aspects are most important to you? Was in the preliminary stages of looking around until I got into an accident last week, so I've mainly been looking at Priuses and Mazda3s, each from roughly 2012. Reliability and comfort are most important, followed by maneuverability and audio quality(road noise and speakers). I'm less concerned with MPG, as I can often carpool to work. Are there any notable problems with these models that I should be aware of, or massive differences between model years? I'd rather just pay cash if there are only incremental improvements available, but I do have very good credit, so if it makes more sense to finance that is an option. Any recommendations for other models around that price range are welcome too. Thanks for the help.

Edit: What exactly is going on with the Prius C? Prices for that seem considerably lower than a regular Prius- do the have terrible maintenance records or something?

meefistopheles fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 3, 2015

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
This is a car for my wife, she's done a fair bit of research and we have a decent offer on the table but I wanted to get the goonion on it as well.

Proposed Budget: 10-15K all cash no financing
New or Used: used / new
Body Style: compact/small sedan
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, ~70 miles for a work day.

What aspects are most important to you? - overall value, reliability, color (silver) (i know I know), driving feel, milage, smellz (no cars from smokers), perks and features (she really really likes heated seats but will install them on a car that doesn't come with them to get them), and fuel economy.

So far we have a CPO offer for 12k total (tax, fees, tags everything) for a 2014 jetta SE with 39k miles. (they are also "giving" us the nicer allweather rubber floor mats)

She's most interested in that one, followed by a mazda 3 which she's backed away from (was her first pick orginally).

Thoughts?

Jack Forge fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

meefistopheles posted:

Proposed Budget: 10-13k financed, around 7k in cash
New or Used: Used
Body Style: four door sedan or possibly a hatchback. Until recently drove an Escort and was fine with that size.
How will you be using the car?: ~30 mile highway commute 1-4 times a week, daily errands, camping trips of 5-6 hrs highway driving every other weekend or so.

What aspects are most important to you? Was in the preliminary stages of looking around until I got into an accident last week, so I've mainly been looking at Priuses and Mazda3s, each from roughly 2012. Reliability and comfort are most important, followed by maneuverability and audio quality(road noise and speakers). I'm less concerned with MPG, as I can often carpool to work. Are there any notable problems with these models that I should be aware of, or massive differences between model years? I'd rather just pay cash if there are only incremental improvements available, but I do have very good credit, so if it makes more sense to finance that is an option. Any recommendations for other models around that price range are welcome too. Thanks for the help.

Edit: What exactly is going on with the Prius C? Prices for that seem considerably lower than a regular Prius- do the have terrible maintenance records or something?

Prius c is smaller and generally not as good although they are quite reliable.