Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Haha, holy poo poo Kai. I'm up to episode 37 of 0079 (I take long breaks between episode binges) and Kai just aimed both cannons at a Rick Dom's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Random question, but there's been a like a million variations of the 0079 story at this point between all of the games and comics and books and so on...have any of these alternate takes on the story ever featured Amuro straight up defecting to Zeon with the Gundam, and then explored the ramifications of that?

One of the crazier timelines in the Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam game was the Zeon one where Garma doesn't die but comes back with Axis and Kamille is part of Titans.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Aaand two episodes later, Amuro is reenacting 2001 a Space Odyssey. My god, it's full of stars!

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Tomino really liked that movie, especially around the late 70s. Ideon is full of direct visual quotations to it.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
tbh that's not too hard to believe, Kamille doesn't start off opposed to the Titans or anything he just ends up hijacking military equipment to bully a soldier who called him names and this was very convenient to the aeug at the time so they brought him on board.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Federation Vs. Zeon had a lot of missions where you fought Zeon's version of the Gundam and that thing was a bastard, because it one-shot everything and you had to basically stunlock it enough to kill it before it kills 25 allies.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gyra_Solune posted:

tbh that's not too hard to believe, Kamille doesn't start off opposed to the Titans or anything he just ends up hijacking military equipment to bully a soldier who called him names and this was very convenient to the aeug at the time so they brought him on board.

He probably could have defected at any time up until the Titans killed his mother before his very eyes.

Like, his parents worked for them. If they weren't cackling evil assholes they might have easily gotten him and the Gundam back.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Holy poo poo, it really is a massive brainwashing device. That's uh... wow. It's frightening how effective it is, turning Usso from a hardened soldier back into a scared 13 year old boy using only the power of flashbacks. The Angel Halo's power if terrifying and the first thing Kagatie thinks is wow the queen gets tired too quickly, we need a replacement. Dude, no. Another pair of kills for Usso today, bringing the count to 1963.

Next episode... Tasillo finally makes his move I guess.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Holy poo poo, it really is a massive brainwashing device. That's uh... wow. It's frightening how effective it is, turning Usso from a hardened soldier back into a scared 13 year old boy using only the power of flashbacks. The Angel Halo's power if terrifying and the first thing Kagatie thinks is wow the queen gets tired too quickly, we need a replacement. Dude, no. Another pair of kills for Usso today, bringing the count to 1963.

Next episode... Tasillo finally makes his move I guess.

I told you about the Angel Halo bro. I told you man

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Yeah well I was expecting like a biological weapon, but psychological weapons are just scarier. It sure needs a lot of human batteries to run, so it's effectiveness seems sort of short sighted.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Yeah well I was expecting like a biological weapon, but psychological weapons are just scarier. It sure needs a lot of human batteries to run, so it's effectiveness seems sort of short sighted.

Would you want to attack a target filled with hostages literally everywere?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And now we've got space hippies, newtype carnage, and atomic bomb references. I can see where they were forced to cut corners because of the show's cancellation, but I'm impressed that it still manages to flow well.
Might as well finish this tonight. Not like I need to wake up early or anything.

EDIT: Oooh! Soccer kick a Ball into a GM!

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 25, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And finished. Pretty satisfying and uplifting ending. So of course the next half dozen series go on to feature how horrible things become in the U.C

I'm glad I watched the tv series first. I know a lot of you guys like to advocate the films, and I'll probably check them out at some point, but going through the whole series like that was a pretty fun ride. For how limited the budget was, the animation got pretty drat creative at times, and there was some surprisingly good fight choreography. The characterization was pretty basic, but enough characters went through their arcs and grew over time. I especially like the development of Kai from douchebag to best oldtype fighter on the ship.

As far as the dub went, it is about as good as one could hope for given the source material, with some truly excellent VA work for Amuro and Char.

If I had to point out flaws that I had a hard time looking past, I'd argue that the ideas the show presents are more interesting than what is actually said during episodes. The majority of the dialogue is either functional to progress the plot or overly vague. There are definitely some gems in there buoyed by strong performances, but I would have liked to see some more connection between character's actions and the ideals they are fighting for. This really only started to bother me towards the end with Lalah, because she just isn't that well defined before becoming a sacrificial lamb. As I said above, the ideas are more interesting than what is shown. The concept of newtypes is pretty fascinating but functionally in the show all they do is fight better than oldtypes. I would have liked to see that more developed, but oh well.

It's been a pretty fun ride, but after this binge I'm going to take a breather before tackling Zeta. I hear the dub for that one was done by a different team of Ocean Group VAs, so is there a noticeable quality change? The major 0079 dub is from 2001, when was the Zeta dub made?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
yeah I generally enjoyed 0079. it was rough around the edges for sure, but beneath all the 70s awkwardness and troubled production is something really good. I agree some sequences were well choreographed, in particular the fight against the Gyan really stuck out to me for reasons I can't explain.

And I really like the mechanical design, especially how kitschy the Zeon mobile armors were. The Zakrello and Big Zam are funky superweapons straight from the front cover of some pulpy sci-fi novel and it's great.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I also appreciate that the show didn't drag its heels on the ending. It's just "boom, A Buoa Qu explodes, Char headshots the last Zabi, and Amuro escapes back to his family". It was clear in the show that even for how effective the Gundam was for destroying Zeon's core of ace pilots, the war would have ended in Federation victory anyways, so I'm glad they didn't dwell on the minutiae of the mop up and surrender and focused instead on the White Base. That last scene with the White Base survivors fighting hand to hand in the wreckage of their ship was really moving after they reinforced that these are just kids all throughout the series.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm going through the 0079 series after having watched the movies about half a year ago. I'm up to the start of the Jaburo arc.

*The Federation seems to be a lot more assholeish than it does in the movies. They detain the WB crew at Luna II, employ child soldiers with zero qualms, and Revil straight-up says anyone that wants to drop out of WB will be imprisoned (the movies make it clear that the Belfast stop is the last chance the crew will get to leave WB, which makes Kai bailing make more sense). The EFF's treatment of the WB is better in the movies; it's a ship manned by kids, but at the same time, has a ton of top-secret equipment on it. They can't just send kids to go fight on the front-lines, so they turn the WB into a test case to see if Newtypes really do exist by having them fight enemies in "controlled" backwater environments instead of chucking them into the war proper, like they seem to do in the TV series.

*The early part of the series makes Amuro feel too good and powerful too early. I like how the movies make it seem like he's barely hanging on when he fights before hitting Earth.

*The battles of the week really don't add to the story. Cutting things like the Adzam, first Gogg, and Grubro fights makes the series flow much better.

*Most of the stuff cut from the movies really didn't add much. Icelina's revenge was pointless and felt like a very poor retread of the previous episode, the C4 on the Gundam and Doan's Island episodes felt like they added nothing long-term, the "lesson" from the Adzam episode was never brought up again, "White Base needs salt!" was a stupid and utterly pointless excuse for the WB crew to fight Ral again, and M'Quve's trap did nothing. Some of the character development, like Mirai taking command of the WB while Bright is sick, is nice, but not essential.

*The G-Fighter is utterly useless. All it does is show off some "TOTALLY SWEET MAN" combining animations to sell toys, then piss around and do nothing. Amuro cranking up the Gundam's radio and calling his opponents huge faggots in mid-fight would be a more effective weapon than the G-Fighter has been so far. Based on /m/ posts, I'm pretty sure Tomino did this on purpose.

*They really spend time shoving the Gundam's combination animation down your throat. Funny how the movies completely remove any trace of it.

*The Battle of Odessa seems like a far smaller affair than it does in the movies. In the movies, it's clear that a lot of manpower was thrown and lost during the battle, it was a long and protracted affair, and it was a key part of the war, while the TV show makes it seem like it was done in a few hours, didn't require that much from the EFF, and wasn't that major of an operation long-term. Additionally, I don't lke how Amuro saves the day; the movies' portrayal of the WB crew barely doing anything in it feels better and shows that, while Amuro can kick rear end, he's not the superhero you'd see in other mecha shows.

*The TV show making the Gouf into a regular enemy diminishes how dangerous it was in the Ral arc. In the Ral arc, the Gouf is shown as a major threat that strains Amuro's fighting skills to his limits. Basically, it's a boss that can do some serious damage to Amuro. Then, as soon as the Ral arc is over, it's downgraded into a normal mook that Amuro stomps. Lame.

*The Black Tri-Stars battle is much better in the movies than it is in TV. In the TV show, it's a monster of the week that has Amuro doing a cool trick, his crush Matilda dying, and most of the Tri-Stars surviving, but in the movies, it's a major transitioning point in the story that demonstrates the power of newtypes that Revil was talking about earlier, shows Amuro utterly destroying a team of bad guys shown to be very clever, shows Amuro finally losing something dear to him because of the war (despite his powers), and demonstrates that Amuro is starting to seriously outclass Zeon as a pilot because of his Newtype powers awakening.

I still think the movies are a much better telling of 0079 than the TV show is so far, but the TV show does have some cool fights not seen in the movie and slightly expands on characters. So far, it seems to be a good supplement after you've watched the movies to expand on things like Bright and Mirai's relationship, but is ok as a standalone series.

As an aside, I think it's fun to take pictures of some of the worst bits of animation in the series.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 25, 2015

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Props to Shakti for at the very least trying to negotiate with Chronicle, and when that failed, go for his weapon. I mean it was a losing proposition to begin with, but that's the best line you can take in a bad situation. Usso went oon a killing spree today, enough of one that he could the last screams of the people he killed. The Angel Halo's range is wide enough to affect earth, which is pretty insane. Is nothing safe from that monstrosity? At the very least Tasillo kidnapped the queen, but unknowingly brought a stronger much more dangerous power source for the Halo. On the battlefront, Usso got a Buster upgrade to his machine, meaning his now has anti-ship weaponry! He even took out two of them and a few mooks before fighting Faula for the rest of the episode.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 2171

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Logicblade posted:

It only needs to work once. It's a genocide weapon, designed to wipe Earth clean of sentient (not just sapient) life by shutting down their higher brain functions until they starve to death (which would be accelerated by the physical degradation it also causes in its targets), letting Zanscare move in and colonise the planet unopposed. All the freaky psychic visions for anyone in its vicinity are just a side-effect. And the poor fools powering it think they're just broadcasting messages of peace and goodwill to help stop the fighting... and also serve as useful human shields if anyone tries to stop the damned thing.

Yep, Fonse is a really good candidate for 'worst person in the Universal Century'.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yeah, this lines up pretty much 100% with my observations, having also watched both fairly recently. The only thing that's really missing from the films is the segment where Bright collapses from stress because it's pretty important in building up how out of his depth even he is.

I'm reading The Origin right now and it's essentially the manga version of the 0079 movies, except with some more historical details filled in. The one thing I don't really like is the early model Guntank, which shows up just so baby Char can be super good at piloting it and never gets explained in the backstory (unlike the Guncannon). The tonal shift between the White Base and pre-OYW Zeon parts of the manga is also weird (the WB part is deadly serious; the pre-OYW Zeon part has a lot of funny facial expressions, serious people doing goofy stuff, and slapstick comedy).

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

It only needs to work once. It's a genocide weapon, designed to wipe Earth clean of sentient (not just sapient) life by shutting down their higher brain functions until they starve to death (which would be accelerated by the physical degradation it also causes in its targets), letting Zanscare move in and colonise the planet unopposed. All the freaky psychic visions for anyone in its vicinity are just a side-effect. And the poor fools powering it think they're just broadcasting messages of peace and goodwill to help stop the fighting... and also serve as useful human shields if anyone tries to stop the damned thing.

Yep, Fonse is a really good candidate for 'worst person in the Universal Century'.

Oh my god, the angel halo just gets worse and worse. I know you guys warned me about this poo poo, but seriously, it deteriorates people cells and makes them age faster too? This really is a terrifying weapon, you would think in the testing stages they would be like "no this is inhumane..." Wait, I almost forgot who I was dealing with, Zanscare was almost certainly going for mass horror factor, and preliminary tests were like "ok but how can we make this even worse, how can we kill even more people with this?" Horrifying.

Also horrifying, "A women's ideals will only bring suffering" is a pretty hosed up line. Tomino has problems, I'm glad he's worked them out a bit, Gainer did a good job with it's ladies, and I heard G-Reco was pretty similar in that regard. Faula freaking out over Marbet being pregnant is pretty hosed up too, but she's already waaaay off the rails... and now she's dead but she became a woman at the end of her life so I guess that's fine... Ugh. Anyway Tasillo is about to bust a blood vessel, and he's gonna kill Maria isn't he? She has outlived her usefulness as it were, and it wouldn't be Victory if she wasn't just killed her.

Five more kills for Usso today, including Fuala. The total is up to 2176.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

TNG posted:

This isn't exactly accurate. There's tons of bullshit in this show. It's like if a Vietnam movie was about a squad of grunts that are the key unit fighting the NVA who also at the same time discover the NVA's super weapon and bust up its testing, find the hidden NVA base by themselves, are the only ones to make contact with and help local guerrillas fight, fight in the pivotal battle for the war and do key things to win it, oh and the leader of the squad has a romance with the NVA commander's daughter.

08th MS Team is the 'The Green Berets' of supposedly gritty war robot anime.

Haha well that's true, I guess I was more getting at that I liked how grounded and restrained the combat was in this series, and there was more of a reliance on cheaper ballistic weapons. As the battles took place in a mix of populated areas and difficult terrain, the MC's generally had to fight to disable enemy MS's rather than outright destroy them considering a critical shot to the reactor would level a few city blocks, there was even that part where a Zaku used its jumpjets and blew away a house.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

So quite a few things happened, but this was definitely a calm before the storm episode, or at least half of one. Maria got shot in the back, and then Usso blew up the ship she and Tasillo were on. Maria's death forced the Angel Halo offline for a short period of time, giving the rest of the feds time to recuperate and muster before the final battle. Chronicle finally showed off a hint of his ambition, and the Angel Halo is finally in range to hit all of earth, and not just a small portion of it. I guess it's time to prepare for the bloodbath. I say Usso, Shakti, Marbet, everyone on the White Ark and Odelo end up being the only survivors of import. The replacement shrikes are sure to die, and the original (Connie) made it at least episodes further than I thought she would. Other than that, no one is safe...

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 2281

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyra_Solune posted:

Kamille's first reaction upon seeing Titans in the spaceport in episode one is rather hostile, even before he realizes that one of them acted shocked that he had a girls name. He also clarifies to Char in episode two that he hates the Titans. Every time he meets them throughout both episodes he acts like he has a fundamental problem with them, rather than just being in trouble with them and not wanting to be there. I would imagine he had a problem with them because he hated the fact his parents worked so hard and didn't seem to have time for him and that they worked for the Titans if nothing else, but if I recall he also mentions hating they way they act in general and treat people at some point early on too so I think it would take more than simply removing Jerid to make it work.

It was the MP who bullied him in the interrogation room he shot while using the Mk II by the way, not Jerid, since you seem to have conflated the two.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Kamille's fundamental problem with the Titans is that he's a loving teenager and they have the double-whammy of being a) government authorities that b) his parents work for. It's pure puerile rebellion against authority, at least at the very start of the first episode of Zeta.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Kamille's fundamental problem with the Titans is that he's a loving teenager and they have the double-whammy of being a) government authorities that b) his parents work for. It's pure puerile rebellion against authority, at least at the very start of the first episode of Zeta.

Basically. It also doesn't help that Franklin Bidam was a scumbag, but ultimately it was a combination of being a Teenager, having the opportunity, and Jerid pissing him off that lead to Camille ending up with the AEUG.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Omnicrom posted:

Basically. It also doesn't help that Franklin Bidam was a scumbag, but ultimately it was a combination of being a Teenager, having the opportunity, and Jerid pissing him off that lead to Camille ending up with the AEUG.

He was more pissed off at the random MP than he was at Jerid. Kicking Jerid and fighting with the other Titans there is the reason he ended up in the interrogation room, but the random MP being arrogant and kind of douchey in his treatment of Kamille is the reason he decided to hijack the Gundam Mk II and then defect with the AEUG. Which is weird because while that MP was kind of a douche, he didn't really do anything beyond be a douche to upset Kamille so. The most violent thing he did is throw a folder at Kamille, which was prompted in the first place by Kamille shouting at him about how he'd been frightened by the intimidating officer even after he had been released from custody. It says to me that Kamille had a low opinion of the Titans as an organization and the way they acted and treated people in general, rather than those specific instances (Jerid and the MP both).

Yea, a good chunk of it is definitely down to him being a teenager and seeing them through that lens along with the fact his parents worked for them, but he does seem genuinely aggravated by the arrogant attitude of Titan officers and the way they walk all over everyone else like they're entitled to as well as that and so I don't think something as simple as removing Jerid from the equation would be enough to get him working for the Titans because of it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kamille had problems with everyone though. I can't think of a single person in the show that he didn't want to pick a fight with.

The Titans are even worse because they also like picking fights with people. Or get people's genders wrong accidentally without even looking at said person, thus they deserve to be punched in the face.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I would think the Titans probably deserve to be punched in the face more for being a fascist régime that disappeared people for disagreeing with their policies, rather than just thinking Kamille is a girl's name. :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I would think the Titans probably deserve to be punched in the face more for being a fascist régime that disappeared people for disagreeing with their policies, rather than just thinking Kamille is a girl's name. :v:

Kamille is angry enough that the calling him a girl would piss him off more than the Titans being super-evil.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Blaze Dragon posted:

Kamille had problems with everyone though. I can't think of a single person in the show that he didn't want to pick a fight with.

In the first two episodes alone he shows respect and admiration for both Bright and Emma, along with continuously allowing Fa to call him Kamille with no more than a plea for her to stop doing so since it'll allow others to know his name if she keeps shouting it publicly. He never does more than ask despite her constantly shouting the name though. He also simply runs away when his karate club leader slaps him for skipping practice right at the start, implying he has some degree of respect (or possibly indifference) towards the guy.

closeted republican posted:

Kamille is angry enough that the calling him a girl would piss him off more than the Titans being super-evil.

He doesn't though. He gets more pissed at the MP who acts and speaks arrogantly than he ever does at Jerid. Jerid is just a spur of the moment thing, but he goes out of his way to plan and execute the theft of a mobile suit to shoot the MP so that he can give him a taste of what it's like to be harassed by someone bigger and stronger than him. And the MP really didn't actually do that much. He asked him some questions about the AEUG, assuming someone who attacked a Titan must sympathize with them, and then said Kamille was being an obstinate poo poo for not talking before leaving him be alone for a while since he wouldn't talk, letting him go when his family lawyer showed up and finally throwing a folder at him half-heartedly when Kamille talks after being released. It indicates frustrations with them that go beyond the actions of that one MP or Jerid, especially when he reacts with such distaste upon spotting the fact that there's Titans at the space port at all.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
About to start the last episode of Unicorn, I've enjoyed it a lot up until this point and the ending to Episode 6 was pretty stellar. I've heard bad stuff about the last episode, but I'm excited to see what it is.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Baal posted:

About to start the last episode of Unicorn, I've enjoyed it a lot up until this point and the ending to Episode 6 was pretty stellar. I've heard bad stuff about the last episode, but I'm excited to see what it is.

I honestly don't think it's that bad, or at least not bad enough to undo how good the previous six episodes were, but everything after the final battle against Full Frontal is pretty silly. Not terrible, but just a bit dumb.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I thought at some point Bright has to smack some sense into these kids, because that's always part of Bright's job.

I have... issues with how Gundam sometimes tells a story, but the one thing that amused me is how Kamille becomes a bigger obsession in Jerid's life (whether or not he knows it) but it hardly registers in the opposite direction. You know that punching Jerid was a random insignificant thing because Jerid is always just a random insignificant thing.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

I thought at some point Bright has to smack some sense into these kids, because that's always part of Bright's job.

I have... issues with how Gundam sometimes tells a story, but the one thing that amused me is how Kamille becomes a bigger obsession in Jerid's life (whether or not he knows it) but it hardly registers in the opposite direction. You know that punching Jerid was a random insignificant thing because Jerid is always just a random insignificant thing.

I like how their rivalry end with Kamille blasting, then chucking Jerid into an exploding ship like he was another faceless Hizack pilot instead of being an epic duel between two rivals.

quote:

He doesn't though. He gets more pissed at the MP who acts and speaks arrogantly than he ever does at Jerid. Jerid is just a spur of the moment thing, but he goes out of his way to plan and execute the theft of a mobile suit to shoot the MP so that he can give him a taste of what it's like to be harassed by someone bigger and stronger than him. And the MP really didn't actually do that much. He asked him some questions about the AEUG, assuming someone who attacked a Titan must sympathize with them, and then said Kamille was being an obstinate poo poo for not talking before leaving him be alone for a while since he wouldn't talk, letting him go when his family lawyer showed up and finally throwing a folder at him half-heartedly when Kamille talks after being released. It indicates frustrations with them that go beyond the actions of that one MP or Jerid, especially when he reacts with such distaste upon spotting the fact that there's Titans at the space port at all.

True, but I briefly forgot about that when I wrote my post. :v:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Kamille's and Jerid's character development are pretty obvious parallells to one another. Kamille joins the conflict because someone made fun of his name, but over time he learns that it is the war itself he should hate, not individuals. Jerid on the other hand starts the show with high political aspirations, but then devolves into nothing but a desire for revenge against Kamille.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What I like about Jerid is that he's basically an older Kamille at the start of the show but let's the worst tendencies both share (impulsive and quick to anger) develop in to full blown obsessions that ruin his life and that it's not entirely his own fault. One of the main reasons that Kamille becomes a better character throughout the show is that while the Argama is chock full of assholes they're assholes who at least watch out for each other on occasion and have some genuinely good intentions, while Jerid is part of the Titans and the few people around him who have any empathy are killed (often by Kamille), leaving him alone to deteriorate further and further since the only people left are all selfish assholes who are more concerned with power than making sure their soldiers have good morale and so on.

Jerid starts out wanting to improve the Titans but becoming obsessed with restoring his pride by defeating Kamille before he can continue up the ladder to actually make those improvements, while Kamille starts out with no real goal beyond satisfying his own pride and then starts to learn to see the bigger picture and ignore even the death of close friends to focus on the things that really matter. They play nicely off each other, and him almost nonchalantly offing Jerid and moving on rounds that out well.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

closeted republican posted:

I like how their rivalry end with Kamille blasting, then chucking Jerid into an exploding ship like he was another faceless Hizack pilot instead of being an epic duel between two rivals.

Kamille has no idea who Jerid is to the very end, it's amazing. Like, he should hate Jerid since he killed Kamille's mother and they've been fighting for like a year or whatever, but it's not like they ever said ten words to each other outside of that time Kamille threw him off the mountain.

Kamille is an ace pilot using an iconic prototype suit. Jerid is just some grunt who uses like a half dozen different suits. All of his friends are killed by Kamille and he can't do anything about it. It's the other side of the invincible protagonist suit coin, lives are ruined just from being unlucky enough to run into it, even if the pilot doesn't have any ill will against the individual pilots on the other side.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well they did have another confrontation after Jerid kills Kamille's mom, which is probably the best interaction between them in the show and sets the tone for their relationship pretty well. Jerid himself is shocked and kind of upset that the capsule he shot upon orders held a person and that he had killed someone, because he had assumed it'd be a bomb. Despite that though when he meets Kamille and Kamille is understandably upset he can't bring himself to be humble and apologize and has to try and act like a dick, giving the most insincere apology possible. Which Kamille then turns around nicely on him by saying that he can't really blame Jerid since Jerid is just a cog in the machine and obviously had no idea what he was doing, so that he leaves with the upper hand and Jerid exits more upset than Kamille if I recall.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Jerid's downward arc is legitimately one of my favorite things from Zeta. Jerid is one of the best examples of the War is Hell bit Gundam loves to trot out at regular intervals. There's a certain cleverness in having a villain be the posterboy for this particular trope, because as a villain he can have literally everyone he ever loved and everything he ever believed in die horribly around him before his final long-awaited death and ALSO be in a show where the good guys win. Very rarely do I see a show have its cake and eat it so well.

Also Jerid consistently gets to fly cool Mobile Suits so that's a point for him. I unironically adore the Gabthley and the Bound Doc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress Riddhe