Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The mobile port of 4 is the best version so I'd love to see it hit pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

The mobile port of 4 is the best version so I'd love to see it hit pc

Better than the DS version?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

In Training posted:

Better than the DS version?

Yes, because it's the same but with translated party chat.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I still think Square-Enix would do pretty well porting Dragon Quest to Steam. The games Dragon Quest were inspired by all started on the PC and I think there'd be more PC gamers who have a nostalgia for the game systems Dragon Quest has over console players.

I would buy the games so hard if they were available on steam.

Hell, I recently preordered Tales of Zestiria because they offered Tales of Symphonia for free since there was enough preorders.
I lost my disk 2 of Symphonia so it was perfect.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Crimson Harvest posted:

You know you can obviate DQ8's load times by popping the disc into your PC and playing it in PCSX2. There were a couple tweaks I had to learn about to make the menus/overlays look normal but it's not tricky or anything.

I'm running it with PCSX2 right now and mine looks nowhere near that good, even though I put the resolution up to 1920x1080. Anything else you've got going on to make it look so clear and reduce the jagginess?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Oh, I didn't realize you have to configure the plugin separately from the main menu. Looks incredible, though I have to track down those text box changes now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i was doing the DQH mission "showdown at teh crown" and a mysterious swordsman appeared killed a robot and left within the span of seconds and i never saw him, just alert messages and confused dialog with my characters and nobody mentioned it again afterwards. did i miss a special event or hidden character?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ImpAtom posted:

I would if just because I can't think of anything else S-E has that isn't localized. They have some minor niche games maybe but even most of those are D-Q spinoffs.

SaGa: Scarlet Grace!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

SaGa: Scarlet Grace!

That got trademarked in Europe.

I don't think they've said anything about their upcoming Fake Chrono Trigger Game though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlykTi7QAeo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

i was doing the DQH mission "showdown at teh crown" and a mysterious swordsman appeared killed a robot and left within the span of seconds and i never saw him, just alert messages and confused dialog with my characters and nobody mentioned it again afterwards. did i miss a special event or hidden character?

Just foreshadowing for later.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It feels really weird further I get into DQ:H how freakishly good Yangus is. I feel so mediocre playing others despite how fun they are because while they're all hitting for 60's and stuff Yangus is sending out death waves that do 200-300 for a long stretch while demolishing the defense of anything that walks near him. I have the HP/MP up thing at max tension equipped so it's not like he's EVER in any danger.

I also tried out Bianca as I remember hearing she was good but I uh, don't get her at all. The aiming thing feels really plodding and there's not a lot that's super standing out. My current team is Aurora who I don't really care about but have to have in my group, Jessica for the healing mostly, and when she hits tension spell spamming is hilarious, and Maya for similar reasons and mostly because I have no idea who should be rounding out the team.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It feels really weird further I get into DQ:H how freakishly good Yangus is. I feel so mediocre playing others despite how fun they are because while they're all hitting for 60's and stuff Yangus is sending out death waves that do 200-300 for a long stretch while demolishing the defense of anything that walks near him. I have the HP/MP up thing at max tension equipped so it's not like he's EVER in any danger.

I also tried out Bianca as I remember hearing she was good but I uh, don't get her at all. The aiming thing feels really plodding and there's not a lot that's super standing out. My current team is Aurora who I don't really care about but have to have in my group, Jessica for the healing mostly, and when she hits tension spell spamming is hilarious, and Maya for similar reasons and mostly because I have no idea who should be rounding out the team.

Bianca's regular attack can be charged. The more you charge it the more hilariously powerful it gets. Her spells are all crazy powerful. Her Snooze is effectively a 'nah, I don't feel like dealing with you" for any large crowds or minibosses. She's just absurdly good overall as long as you let her stuff lock on/charge up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Just foreshadowing for later.

thanks

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Real hurthling! posted:

Did... did you not recognize him??? How do you own this game and don't recognize him?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Wendell posted:

A translation Kickstarter would just be a "if we get enough pre-orders this will be worth releasing," and that is cool with me. Much better than not trying at all.

Yes and no. Pre-orders happen after you've gotten a decent indication of what the product quality will be as well as a release date whereas kickstarters happen before that. If it's a "with x amount of funding we'll rush it out the door in 3 months, with y amount of funding we'll do a proper translation but with 0 voices and with z amount of funding we'll include the original but no english dub or a cheap english dub but reach the max amount and you'll everything you'd want" situation that would be terrible. Worse if they aren't transparent about what they're going for with it and that's not even getting into all of the other troubles that plague localization efforts in general, throwing off deadlines.

If they can properly account for things and treat it exactly like a pre-order (this is the quality we will be delivering and this is the target date, if we don't reach target funding you get nothing) it'll be a decent idea, but if they get caught in the foibles of crowdfunding everybody is going to be in for a bad time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Arcaeris posted:

Did... did you not recognize him??? How do you own this game and don't recognize him?

You can play Dragon Quest and not play every single entry.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i was fighting a robot and all i saw was a text box and then he was gone. i'm excited to see who it is when they show me more

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImpAtom posted:

That was a change made to the DS version, wasn't it?

Nope. BeDragon was crap against metal enemies in the NES version and the MBS did 2 damage to them. The first time I used the spell against a metal enemy and actually had it stick around for 2 rounds so I could hit it I was sad to see how much it sucked. DQ3 you could find multiple metal babbles outside Zoma's castle sometimes, or you sit in one of the towers' entrances and play the silver harp(?) to get in to fights with a high chance of multiple metal enemies. Any that stick around for 2 rounds to be hit with BeDragon are a guaranteed kill as I've never seen the breath attack miss an enemy.

Wendell posted:

Yes, because it's the same but with translated party chat.

Shame about the god awful forced accents in text for places like Burland and glorious Mother Russia Santeem though. I'd take the constant Thee and Thou uses over their goofy Russian.

Last Celebration posted:

You can play Dragon Quest and not play every single entry.

Blasphemy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Actually, I thought no the reason Puff/BeDragon always the metal killer spell was because of the claw attack you can sometimes do, which IIRC was a fixed 80 damage move and thus a metal killer.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Arcaeris posted:

I played a handful of them and I don't recall him off the top of my head. Speaking of Psaro though, was his fight supposed to be complete horseshit? I went in and he pretty much combo'd everyone in my group to dead in a single juggle or two. I beat him first try by dodge rolling and using Yangus on him but it was way too close

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

TurnipFritter posted:

That got trademarked in Europe.

I don't think they've said anything about their upcoming Fake Chrono Trigger Game though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlykTi7QAeo

You mean other than the story summary they put out?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dr Pepper posted:

Maya is an offensive spellcaster in DQ4. One of the spells she learns is called "Puff!"

It turns her into a Dragon.

Puff, the dragon magic. :allears:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

:vince:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Wendell posted:

A translation Kickstarter would just be a "if we get enough pre-orders this will be worth releasing," and that is cool with me. Much better than not trying at all.

Yeah this seems like it's better than the alternative, which is no Dragon Quest at all. There are definitely risks from our perspective (for example, if we don't crowdfund the first game they put up there they might just stop trying), but I don't think crowdfunding as an interest check is inherently a bad thing.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So something I'm curious about, I am playing as the Male character and At the tree the Female character is kidnapped. There are pre-rendered cutscenes from there through the Seafloor Shrine. I am curious if when you play as the Female character if there are pre-rendered cutscenes where everything is reversed or if you temporarily have to play as the Male character until the story says you get her back.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

mateo360 posted:

So something I'm curious about, I am playing as the Male character and At the tree the Female character is kidnapped. There are pre-rendered cutscenes from there through the Seafloor Shrine. I am curious if when you play as the Female character if there are pre-rendered cutscenes where everything is reversed or if you temporarily have to play as the Male character until the story says you get her back.

It's the reverse if you're playing the Female character.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lizard Wizard posted:

Holy crap I get it now. :vince:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Zurai posted:

That's what I was hoping for :allears:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

There are a couple of other places where there are slightly different cutscenes as well, like when you get the monster medal tutorial.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So with how this game's doing would it seem likely it'll sitll be in stores in a month or two, or did it have limited quantities? I may end up with a PS4 but it'd be around x-mas or new years at the earliest and I'm going to want to play this.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

Holy crap I get it now. :vince:

We're all so loving dumb, wow.

I just got that too. :negative:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Evil Fluffy posted:

So with how this game's doing would it seem likely it'll sitll be in stores in a month or two, or did it have limited quantities? I may end up with a PS4 but it'd be around x-mas or new years at the earliest and I'm going to want to play this.
Even if it is gone from stores somehow, there will always be the digital version on PSN. The download was less than 30gb if I recall correctly, which is below average for most PS4 games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

amazon sells new and used games there is no such thing as not being able to get a recently released game on disc if you want it that way and also digital too efb

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Genie Sanguini are little fuckers in Heroes, if you leave them alone they'll give everything around them a damage buff and since they are the highest tier of the Sanguini family, they only show up on maps with other high tier enemies so it becomes a nightmare very fast.

Buffed Type GO's and Roseguardins can basically one shot you, and they do.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Are there any known issues with running DQ8 on a slim PS2? I picked one up on the cheap almost for the sole reason to play Dragon Quest 8, and it when it loads up it just hangs on a black screen after the bios system menu.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I just unlocked Psaro in Dragon Quest Heroes and despite him being level 35 while my main character is 41, he is just utterly destroying these enemies in the current area of the story mode. He just hit for 569 damage during Liberation mode, without getting a critical, while my main is lucky to hit in the mid 200s on a critical.

edit- 891 damage. It's beautiful.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 27, 2015

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Zophar posted:

Are there any known issues with running DQ8 on a slim PS2? I picked one up on the cheap almost for the sole reason to play Dragon Quest 8, and it when it loads up it just hangs on a black screen after the bios system menu.

I have a slim and can run DQ8--far as I know it only has issues with some PS1 games like Legend of Dragoon. What region is your system vs. DQ8? I can't recall if PS2 is region locked, but it's possible you have one that's PAL and one that's NA or something similar that could cause issues, know I've made that mistake buying used for other systems. Or the disc could be bad. Or the slim might be dead as far as disc reading is concerned if you picked it up real cheap--can you run any other games? Should be a PS2 thread somewhere in games to help you potentially make a backup and get it running from USB/HDD if that's the issue.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I had a PS2 that suddenly had problems running the particular type of DVD format that DQ8 and Wild Arms Alter Code F had, after I played through DQ8 just fine months prior. You might be having some hardware problems.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Zophar posted:

I played DQ8 on a Slim PS2 when it came out, so you might have a bad PS2. I'm not sure how :filez: it'd be considered for you to just run it via a PS2 emulator on your PC if you PC can handle it. It'd certainly look much nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Note that DQ8 has some issues with emulation, mostly in the sepia-toned flashback sequences. I forget the exact fixes for the problem, though I'm sure you can find it if you do a Google search for it.